Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) (35573 Views)

My Trip To Calabar and Akwa Ibom From Lagos / My Trip To Kainji Lake National Park And Kainji Dam / My Trip To Akure, The Capital Of Ondo State (pictures, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by javacompgeek: 10:46am On Oct 04, 2017
In our last Waterfall post, we explored Farin Ruwa Waterfall. In this post, we will be sharing a visitor experience of Owu Waterfall and encourage you to Visit Nigeria Now.
I am a keen Nigerian Tourist, born and brought up in Lagos with a love for travelling and visiting tourist sites. For those sites I can’t visit, I read about them. I’ve visited a few sites including: Ibadan Zoo, Unilorin Zoo, Nekede Zoological Garden, Unilorin Dam, Lokoja Confluence, National Mosque Abuja, Le Meridien Ibom Hotel & Golf Resort, Godswill Apabio Stadium Uyo, Niger Bridge (pardon me including buildings… An Architect and so i love and value buildings) and so on. States visited include Abia, Akwa-ibom, Anambra, Bayelsa, Ekiti, Imo, Kwara, Lagos, Oyo, Ogun and Abuja, these are the ones i can remember at the moment �

I read a lot about tourist sites and in my view, Owu falls is among the top 10 natural wonders in Nigeria as it is claimed to be the tallest natural waterfall in Nigeria and in west Africa (although i think the one in Ghana is taller ….lol). When I got posted to Kwara for my NYSC, it seemed like the perfect opportunity for me to visit the fall.

I and my tour party didn’t get a tour guide on the day so I cannot tell you much about the history of the fall, but from research I gathered Owu falls was discovered by a missionary in the mid 90s, although another myth says that Owu falls and its environs used to be home to dangerous birds and large snakes until God came to Kill them all thereby making the area habitable for humans without fear. The choice is ours which version you believe but I know what version I will be telling my kids smiley. A bit of an aside, I never understand when they say a missionary came and ‘discovered’ something in Africa, as if no one else in Africa has ever seen that thing before then this European arrives with his 2020 vision and just like magic, he sees what no African has seen in thousands of years, a load of rubbish. Anyway, moving on…

We went to the waterfall as a group. We were all Youth Corpers so essentially we were a big group of friends. We arranged two buses from Ilorin to take us there and also made arrangements for food and drinks. I carried my personal Bluetooth speaker which made the journey even more fun. We left Ilorin around 10am and got to the village at 12pm, we then started our 45 minutes trek / jog to the falls. It wasn’t difficult locating the waterfall as one of our drivers was quite experienced and the footpath was pretty straight forward.

One point to note is that a courtesy visit needs to be paid to the Onire of Owa-Onire, Oba Abdulraham Fabiyi before you head to he fall. We didn’t know this and only visited after our trip to the fall. Reason for this visit apparently is to enable the Oba/community to prepare and get tour guides ready for visitors. needless to say we had no guide with us due to this error.

owu waterfall visitnigerianowThe trek I mentioned earlier was more like a hike as the footpath got steeper as we approached the waterfall so you could easily include hiking as part of the adventure to Owu waterfall. On getting to the site, there are few fun activities to do including swimming, taking shots & the all-important selfies. The ambience and the group I went with made it so much fun, beyond what can be put down in words so I will advise you to go in a group when planning this trip, you’ll enjoy it better and I guess feel much safer.

It is advisable to go with hiking shoes (not slippers, sandals, heels or anything fancy), extra clothing (for those that plan to get close to the falling water and hence get wet), swimming trunks (if you plan to swim of course), towel, camera, some food and drinks and maybe some entertainment if possible.

My best feature of the trip and the fall is how magical it is, it responds to voice. The louder you scream, the higher the volume of the water!!! I guess the little annoying thing about the trip was that at a point in the journey, we encountered some insects and also lost phone signal. Not a major but just thought I should moan about it!

In conclusion, Owu falls is a place to be, a natural beauty and a hidden treasure the government hasn’t really tapped. My wish is for the government to develop the environs, especially the access roads and other amenities in order to make it more attractive for tourists.

My name is Chinedu Njoku and a travel enthusiast.
To see more of my adventure pictures, follow me on IG @tz_chindu

Source:
http://www.corpershive.com/latest_news/my-trip-to-owu-waterfall-corpershive-reader/

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by TRADELYN: 10:49am On Oct 04, 2017
Enjoy. tongue

Still the best since 2010, TRADELYN offers you quality & unbeatable research projects, business plans...
https://www.nairaland.com/tradelyn

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by attention007(m): 10:56am On Oct 04, 2017
This epistle long o...
Enjoy and hope you had a good time

4 Likes

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 04, 2017
Nigeria is blessed!Instead of waiting for govt to develop the surrounding environ why can't private investors invest in building nice hotels and guest houses around there?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by Iyajelili(f): 3:35pm On Oct 05, 2017
If only Nigeria will invest in other sectors.......we are so blessed among nations but no all the agents of devil called politicians won't allow that.

5 Likes

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by yemmight(m): 3:36pm On Oct 05, 2017
attention007:
This epistle long o...

Enjoy and hope you had a good time

Try, take sometimes to read and don't be lazy in doing that. It might just help you in a way.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by free2ryhme: 3:36pm On Oct 05, 2017
Enjoy una lives my broda

forget your worries behind

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by Adaumunocha(f): 3:37pm On Oct 05, 2017
I've visited Erin Ijesa and Ikogosi warm spring.
Obudu on my mind.

2 Likes

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by Kobicove(m): 3:37pm On Oct 05, 2017
We need more pics pls cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by Pells: 3:37pm On Oct 05, 2017
The trees are not green enough,,, buhari why
No security on check self damn... #BuharyOut
JUBRIM OUT
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by okerekeikpo: 3:38pm On Oct 05, 2017
This dirty place?
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by Sharon6(f): 3:38pm On Oct 05, 2017
Wow! The government really needs to pump money into the tourism aspect.

GET RID OF STRETCH MARKS, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by Sixaxis: 3:38pm On Oct 05, 2017
Really had fun there wen I went for an escursion...
Twas really fun also full of girls.

#reminiscing!

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by gaeul(f): 3:38pm On Oct 05, 2017
Beautiful ...Buy Nigeria.. Grow Nigeria..Tour Nigeria

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by officialfestus(m): 3:38pm On Oct 05, 2017
interesting
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by daveson07: 3:39pm On Oct 05, 2017
person wey dey financially OK,nah im dey tour
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by Robbin7(m): 3:39pm On Oct 05, 2017
Pidgin2:
Nigeria is blessed!Instead of waiting for govt to develop the surrounding environ why can't private investors invest in building nice hotels and guest houses around there?
For inside bush, you go lodge? Where dere is no good road and commercial av tivities around.

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by MrGreenMavro: 3:40pm On Oct 05, 2017
wake me up wen uve gone to Sambisa forest
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by castrol180(m): 3:40pm On Oct 05, 2017
javacompgeek:
In our last Waterfall post, we explored Farin Ruwa Waterfall. In this post, we will be sharing a visitor experience of Owu Waterfall and encourage you to Visit Nigeria Now.
I am a keen Nigerian Tourist, born and brought up in Lagos with a love for travelling and visiting tourist sites. For those sites I can’t visit, I read about them. I’ve visited a few sites including: Ibadan Zoo, Unilorin Zoo, Nekede Zoological Garden, Unilorin Dam, Lokoja Confluence, National Mosque Abuja, Le Meridien Ibom Hotel & Golf Resort, Godswill Apabio Stadium Uyo, Niger Bridge (pardon me including buildings… An Architect and so i love and value buildings) and so on. States visited include Abia, Akwa-ibom, Anambra, Bayelsa, Ekiti, Imo, Kwara, Lagos, Oyo, Ogun and Abuja, these are the ones i can remember at the moment �

I read a lot about tourist sites and in my view, Owu falls is among the top 10 natural wonders in Nigeria as it is claimed to be the tallest natural waterfall in Nigeria and in west Africa (although i think the one in Ghana is taller ….lol). When I got posted to Kwara for my NYSC, it seemed like the perfect opportunity for me to visit the fall.

I and my tour party didn’t get a tour guide on the day so I cannot tell you much about the history of the fall, but from research I gathered Owu falls was discovered by a missionary in the mid 90s, although another myth says that Owu falls and its environs used to be home to dangerous birds and large snakes until God came to Kill them all thereby making the area habitable for humans without fear. The choice is ours which version you believe but I know what version I will be telling my kids smiley. A bit of an aside, I never understand when they say a missionary came and ‘discovered’ something in Africa, as if no one else in Africa has ever seen that thing before then this European arrives with his 2020 vision and just like magic, he sees what no African has seen in thousands of years, a load of rubbish. Anyway, moving on…

We went to the waterfall as a group. We were all Youth Corpers so essentially we were a big group of friends. We arranged two buses from Ilorin to take us there and also made arrangements for food and drinks. I carried my personal Bluetooth speaker which made the journey even more fun. We left Ilorin around 10am and got to the village at 12pm, we then started our 45 minutes trek / jog to the falls. It wasn’t difficult locating the waterfall as one of our drivers was quite experienced and the footpath was pretty straight forward.

One point to note is that a courtesy visit needs to be paid to the Onire of Owa-Onire, Oba Abdulraham Fabiyi before you head to he fall. We didn’t know this and only visited after our trip to the fall. Reason for this visit apparently is to enable the Oba/community to prepare and get tour guides ready for visitors. needless to say we had no guide with us due to this error.

owu waterfall visitnigerianowThe trek I mentioned earlier was more like a hike as the footpath got steeper as we approached the waterfall so you could easily include hiking as part of the adventure to Owu waterfall. On getting to the site, there are few fun activities to do including swimming, taking shots & the all-important selfies. The ambience and the group I went with made it so much fun, beyond what can be put down in words so I will advise you to go in a group when planning this trip, you’ll enjoy it better and I guess feel much safer.

It is advisable to go with hiking shoes (not slippers, sandals, heels or anything fancy), extra clothing (for those that plan to get close to the falling water and hence get wet), swimming trunks (if you plan to swim of course), towel, camera, some food and drinks and maybe some entertainment if possible.

My best feature of the trip and the fall is how magical it is, it responds to voice. The louder you scream, the higher the volume of the water!!! I guess the little annoying thing about the trip was that at a point in the journey, we encountered some insects and also lost phone signal. Not a major but just thought I should moan about it!

In conclusion, Owu falls is a place to be, a natural beauty and a hidden treasure the government hasn’t really tapped. My wish is for the government to develop the environs, especially the access roads and other amenities in order to make it more attractive for tourists.

My name is Chinedu Njoku and a travel enthusiast.
To see more of my adventure pictures, follow me on IG @tz_chindu

Source:
http://www.corpershive.com/latest_news/my-trip-to-owu-waterfall-corpershive-reader/

Please can I have the recapture of that of farin ruwa at Nasarawa state, I served around that place years ago. Farin ruwa (white water) is a nice sight to behold.
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by uhuogba(m): 3:41pm On Oct 05, 2017
OK
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by MhizzAJ(f): 3:41pm On Oct 05, 2017
free2ryhme:
Enjoy una lives my broda

forget your worries behind

Thank God u didn't quote that long epistle before commenting

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by kaydp: 3:42pm On Oct 05, 2017
Pidgin2:
You again
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by clefstone(m): 3:43pm On Oct 05, 2017
reminds me of Gurara falls here in Niger state

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by free2ryhme: 3:43pm On Oct 05, 2017
MhizzAJ:

Thank God u didn't quote that long epistle before commenting

awon monitoring spirit

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by MhizzAJ(f): 3:44pm On Oct 05, 2017
free2ryhme:

awon monitoring spirit

U ve changed
Keep it up
Because it could be annoying sometimes cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by free2ryhme: 3:45pm On Oct 05, 2017
MhizzAJ:

U ve changed
Keep it up
Because it could be annoying sometimes cheesy

change was i trying to please you undecided
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by Icon79(m): 3:47pm On Oct 05, 2017
Mr. Njoku, next time you should invest on a good camera before embarking on this journey.

This tiny grainy pictures no be am, abeg!

O pari
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by seguno2: 3:47pm On Oct 05, 2017
Sharon6:
Wow! The government really needs to pump money into the tourism aspect.

Why should it be government pumping money?
What happened to private investors who will pay for the right to use the area and still pay taxes from their profits in addition to taxes from employees in the industry?
Is that not better?
Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by basmur(m): 3:48pm On Oct 05, 2017
some of my friends at the fall sometimes ago!!!
probably, some weeks back.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by masada: 3:49pm On Oct 05, 2017
think it’s d longest water fall in naija

in terms of fall height

and as usual

it’s potentials not properly harnessed

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To Owu Waterfall, Kwara State (photos) by seguno2: 3:50pm On Oct 05, 2017
Icon79:
Mr. Njoku, next time you should invest on a good camera before embarking on this journey.

This tiny grainy pictures no be am, abeg!

O pari

Learn to appreciate and criticise constructively.
When are you embarking on your own journey with your good camera?
OP, thanks for sharing your experience with us to inspire others.
More miles to your journeys of discovery. Amen.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo Of Overspeeding Car That Flew Into The 2nd Floor Of A Building In The U.S / Very Thick And Massive Traffic Jam From Jebba To Ilorin (pictures) / See The Aerial Views Of Yaba And Its Environs - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.