Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,776 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife (5948 Views)

Pastor Chris Okafor 2016 Prophecies: Ex-President & Ex-Minister May Die; New STD / Dunamis Pastor’s Wife Bans Members From Hugging, Pecking In Church / Qualities Expected Of A Leader ( Pastor , Elder Etc ) In Church - From Titus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Ddozo: 4:50pm On Mar 08, 2010
I am weary of the expectation from a typical pastor's wife. Is her duty church-bound or family-bound? if she shy's from becoming a prominent figure in church, it is said that she's not spiritual, if she is devoted to her church, she is said to neglect her family. If she tries to do the two efficiently, she'll burn-out? What is really the clean cut duty of the Minister's wife? is she bound to be the women leader, sunday school coordinator, choir moderator, etc? Is it okay for her to be satisfactorily (to members and other pastors as well) a church member and wife? Your contribution is seriously sought? Thanks
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Nimshi: 6:38pm On Mar 08, 2010
Look to the bible.

1 Cor. 14: 34-35
1 Tim. 2: 11-14

Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Ddozo: 2:41pm On Mar 10, 2010
Thank you for those references. . .
Lets even assume she's not teaching or preaching. Must she be the children sunday school head or married women coordinator, is it accepable to turn down these responsibilities and just be a member?
because the tendency is for such a minister's wife to be perceived as unwilling and lazy. it boils down eventually to an uncomfortable self image.
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Centkaycee(f): 2:57pm On Mar 10, 2010
Ddozo which church do you worship with?
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On Mar 10, 2010
To support the man of God.
take care of some of the ministry at the church.
Be like a mother to the members
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Robzkeet: 10:38am On Nov 09, 2010
Firstly the biblical reference needs to be placed in context and I truly believe this does not have any reflection on this topic.

I am also a Ministers wife so I am talking from experience.

Firstly you need to discover who you are as a individual and what are your gifting. If you enjoy a certain area within your congregation then by all means take part. If you wish to just be a member of the congregation  then by all means be. You need to feel fulfilled and complete within your spirit before you can truly give. Regardless if you are involved or not someone will say something and criticize your family. Unfortunately that comes with the  ministry.

One thing you need to do is sit down with your husband and find out how he would like you to support him. Then work from there. He can also set some records straight to those that wag their tails at you. I feel that we kill ourselves by trying to do all the “right” things. Don't! It is not good for you or your family. Just be real and be yourself. You set your limits and stick to it. The congregation might expect things from you but you also expect the congregation to respect your decision and your family. They will get more out of you and you will get more out of them once you have been real from the first day on the "job".

Sometimes you need to do things you do not want to do for your husband but that is blessing him directly.

Just relax and enjoy  wink
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Stankoko(m): 12:23pm On Nov 09, 2010
a pastor's wife has to be herself. Simple. She doesn't have to be a pastor just because her husband is a pastor. As a wife and probably, a mother, her family comes first. You can't mother a church when you can't mother your family. You can be a bishop's wife and still be an ordinary church member.
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Joagbaje(m): 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2010
Stankoko:

a pastor's wife has to be herself. Simple. She doesn't have to be a pastor just because her husband is a pastor.
yes she ought to function at the level of her own grace and gift. And be herself

You can be a bishop's wife and still be an ordinary church member.

She can't be an ordinary member, because in the first place, nobody should be an ordinary church member. Everybody ought to grow to be a worker or a teacher at some point in Gods house.

Hebrews 5:12
12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which[ be] the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Robzkeet: 3:36pm On Nov 09, 2010
There are certain degrees of normality but you need to remember if you are not growing your are effective to your family or your community.
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by e36991: 3:54pm On Nov 09, 2010
Ddozo:

I am weary of the expectation from a typical pastor's wife. Is her duty church-bound or family-bound?

If she shy's from becoming a prominent figure in church, it is said that she's not spiritual, if she is devoted to her church, she is said to neglect her family.

If she tries to do the two efficiently, she'll burn-out? What is really the clean cut duty of the Minister's wife?

Is she bound to be the women leader, sunday school coordinator, choir moderator, etc?

Is it okay for her to be satisfactorily (to members and other pastors as well) a church member and wife? Your contribution is seriously sought? Thanks

@Ddozo

It is expected they be available and open to God’s calling in their life

Among other women in the Bible, the life of Zipporah can be checked out and used for a precedent
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by martinosi: 1:08pm On Nov 11, 2010
oh Dear!, people need to stop living up to other peoples
expectation of them, She should just be a wife to her husband and a mother to her kids, Family comes before church duties

Does it not say somewhere in the Bible that you have to make sure your home(family) is in order before you rule(supervise)
in church?
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by seyibrown(f): 12:46am On Nov 16, 2010
She should be 'her spirit-filled self', a wife, a mother and then a minster (if she has a ministry)!
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 13, 2013
She should choose for herself whichever area she would love to be in the chuch and also prevent attitude that will make members wag mouth on her.
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Kobojunkie: 5:55pm On Aug 19, 2021
Ddozo:
I am weary of the expectation from a typical pastor's wife.

* Is her duty church-bound or family-bound?

* if she shy's from becoming a prominent figure in church, it is said that she's not spiritual, if she is devoted to her church, she is said to neglect her family. If she tries to do the two efficiently, she'll burn-out?

* What is really the clean cut duty of the Minister's wife?

* is she bound to be the women leader, sunday school coordinator, choir moderator, etc?

* Is it okay for her to be satisfactorily (to members and other pastors as well) a church member and wife? Your contribution is seriously sought?
Isn't asking this like asking what the expectation is of a farmer's wife or a psychiatrists wife? undecided
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by RiyadhGoddess(f): 6:43pm On Aug 19, 2021
Sincerely I have nothing against being a minister's/pastor's wife BUT the only issue I have is these 'wives' automatically becoming pastors because their said husbands are pastors. Many of them NEVER born again finish before becoming pastors because their husbands or man to be is a Pastor.
That's why there are lots of 'jezebels' witch like behaviors amongst them or what other wicked words can I use to describe many of them undecided
A lot of them I've meant have similar behaviors, you can't see it from far BUT go close to them you will understand what I mean.

For instance, that pastor that 'snatched' a members wife and wedded her, automatically that lady will become Mummy GO, Pastor Mrs or prophetess... to support Daddy's ministry...

Tomorrow when she starts acting like a wicked witch, having difficulty loving people genuinely or tolerating people, telling lies like there's no tomorrow, picking quarrels, you begin to wonder why a pastor's wife is behaving that way. A Pastor who is having issues with his wife (church mummy) once said to me that 'woman no dey born again finish.' I didn't understand that statement then but haven met different Pastors wife with almost similar attitudes, I understood well. Just maybe they weren't called to be pastors But marriage called them into 'Pastorship'.

I will say, these ministers or pastor's wives should just be allowed to be themselves jare just like every other members in the church. Don't place too much roles or expectations on them. If you know you weren't called, don't call yourself all in the name of supporting Daddy's ministry.

Biko I come in Peace.

1 Like

Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Kobojunkie: 7:08pm On Aug 19, 2021
Fhemmmy:
To support the man of God.
take care of some of the ministry at the church.
Be like a mother to the members
Where does this idea come from? undecided
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Fhemmmy: 9:38pm On Aug 19, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Where does this idea come from? undecided

Came from same idea as being a wife of a man
Re: What Is Expected Of A Minister's (pastor) Wife by Kobojunkie: 9:39pm On Aug 19, 2021
Fhemmmy:

Came from same idea as being a wife of a man
And where does your idea of being a wife of a man come from? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Can A Born Again Christian Marry More Than One Wife?. / What Renowned Physicists Say About God's Existence / Dialect Of The Early Beings (SERIOT LANGUAGE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.