Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (46794 Views)

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? / Can I Postpone My Tithe Till Next Payment? / "I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Tweetums(f): 10:03am On Oct 08, 2017
100% wrong
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by helpishere(m): 10:03am On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

But was I wrong to have given my 10percent to a beggar instead of to the alter?

Opinions please.

You did well. Your tithe is for the stranger, fatherless and the poor and then the Levite. Now the Levite has found a way to collect all the tithes and gives peanuts to the others in the group. The Levite now own properties against the commandment of the LORD. I once had a wonderful encounter in a Benin Church. I had $100 that I wanted to give as tithe besides the offering. As I sat down in the church, an old woman was being led into the church and I just prayed that she should not be brought to my pew. lo and behold, it was my pew that she was made to sit and even by my side. Then there was war in heaven (my mind), Micheal and his angels were waring against the fallen angels and they won. I was told to give that money to the old woman, I refused and it was hell until I gave her the money. teare rolled down my face immediately I gave her the money and there was peace. The woman did not even know the currency and so was asking her daughter what currency is this and they now asked her who gave her the money. All eyes were on me(Tupac) and there was a lot of goodwill from the members nearby who expressed a lot of appreciation. The levites are overfed nowadays and have become greedy and are asking for more. Those who say that it is to propagate the Gospel, do those Teleevangelists not ask for more donations on the screen? Christ Embassy will preach the gospel halfway and then ask that to get the full dvd, you will have to pay for it. The Bible said that the gospel is free but the levites are selling it. To watch TBN, you will have to buy TV, DSTV, PHCN to watch the good news and then you will still pay to hear the full free gospel. It is well with your decision. If everyone does that, there will be peace in the world once the stranger, the fatherless and poor are well taken care of. The Church does not take care of these groups anymore. So whose purpose is the church serving? Definitely not the LORD Jesus.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by gentle007(m): 10:04am On Oct 08, 2017
Reference:

Yes you are wrong. The scriptures explicitly says that you should bring your tithes, "into God's storehouse so that there may be food there". In the old testament (pre-church era) Abraham offered a tithe to ''God's messenger...God's servant".

So one of few things: Tithes are given to specific people for specific reasons. That is why they have a value attached to them and are mandatory. God uses it for 'food in his house'.... to keep His house running.

Thus I cannot see how giving it to a beggar does that except you are specifically instructed by the Spirit of God and is most unlikely because the Spirit and the Word are one.

Taking it to the store house as you said does not mean you should give it to your pastor. It says so that there may be food in my house. How do you give tithe to your pastor and poor ones that are supposed to benefit from it according to Deuteronomy 14 vs 22 to 29 are still suffering. Your tithe is supposed to serve as answer to their prayer.

4 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by manuelzz(m): 10:05am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:

It's Wonderful to give to the poor... INFACT the Bible specifically talks about dt.

But Your Tithe is not a gift. Neither is it your money. Your Tithe is GOD's SHARE of your Money. And He Directs where it should be taken to. See Malachi 3:10

Where in the bible did it say that our tithes are "God's share of our money"?

7 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bedspread: 10:05am On Oct 08, 2017
cristianisraeli:

bro you have been brainwashed...abeg o who get the church account??lol
LET GOD JUDGE WHO HAS BEEN BRAINWASHED BTW U and I?MY EARNEST PRAYER FOR U IS THAT GOD ALMIGHTY, MY FATHER RESCUES YOU B4 U CROSS OVER....
Dts all

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by BluntBoy(m): 10:05am On Oct 08, 2017
AnodaIT:
Yes, you are wrong

Not that I'm a tithe payer myself but if you want to do something, do it right

Tithe was specifically meant for the upkeep of church or propagation of the Gospel .
The beggar achieved none of these two objectives, he might even use your tithe for some immoral activities.
I have heard of beggars and cripples patronizing whores at night

Where is this written in the Bible?

5 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

Opinions please.

Lets visit the root of why tithes are given. Visit Abraham, he gave his the because he met someone greater and in return, his tithe opened the door for virtue to flow, you only give tithe to someone you see up, so the benefits flows into your life consequentially. You have it in the reverse... If you want deep personal analysis, hit me up, i'll explain...too tired to type....

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by tuclap(m): 10:05am On Oct 08, 2017
iamnlia:
Op, I don't see myself as a Christian but your action gives me joy. Don't mind all these brainwashed people, continue giving.

If possible split your tithe into parts and just keep giving.
Even occults will tell you to give in order to receive.

Mind you there is a big gap between gift and tithes. If you dont study bible, leave it for those that do instead of confusing others

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Mustiboy(m): 10:05am On Oct 08, 2017
You know in your heart that you're not wrong
So, why come here to seek attentuon
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Uhomanbulus110(f): 10:05am On Oct 08, 2017
If your heart free you there no problem
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by spreado(m): 10:05am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:

It's Wonderful to give to the poor... INFACT the Bible specifically talks about dt.

But Your Tithe is not a gift. Neither is it your money. Your Tithe is GOD's SHARE of your Money. And He Directs where it should be taken to. See Malachi 3:10
A winnesr pastor told me this 'dont just read a verse, read the whole of the chapter to understand the message.
Just stating a verse will give the wrong message, that is what some pastors are doing to mislead people

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Omede2u2(m): 10:05am On Oct 08, 2017
Then you will reap the blessing of a begger
is the begger representing the the High priest (Jesus ) who did Abraham pay thihe to? A high priest
who do the Israelites pay thithe to? To the levite

my brother you will reap the blessing of a begger .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by gentle007(m): 10:06am On Oct 08, 2017
Tweetums:
100% wrong
Deuteronomy 24 vs 22 to 29
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by OBAGADAFFI: 10:06am On Oct 08, 2017
What you gave is Alms not tithes.

If you don't believe in tithing, don't bother giving.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bettyLad(f): 10:06am On Oct 08, 2017
what you did was helping the poor . the bible said bring ye tithes and offering to my house that they might b food ..it made it clear that tithes should b paid in church not to beggers except those beggers has a church or worship center , your 10% of your income is to God .. even beggers this days we don't know which ones r begging for genuine reasons .some of them have mansions back home , some take the money people give to them for evil purposes .some r for mallams to use as prayers for wealth for them Alahjis. if you say u felt fulfilled and happy after doing that then it's fine .I'm just saying my own .

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Fxwarrior: 10:07am On Oct 08, 2017
HajimeSaito:
You have done the most noble thing a Christian can do. Don't listen to any son of Belial who tells you otherwise.

Proverbs 19:17

Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.

Proverbs 28:27

Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to them receive many curses.

Gerarahea mehn. One thing about verses is that people twist it to fit condition.
Giving to the poor is different from giving your tithe to the poor.

The scripture was clear about bringing it to the church. Obedience is better than sacrifice. Pray Saul calamity don't fall on you sha.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by cristianisraeli: 10:07am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
LET GOD JUDGE WHO HAS BEEN BRAINWASHED BTW U and I?MY EARNEST PRAYER FOR U IS THAT GOD ALMIGHTY, MY FATHER RESCUES YOU B4 U CROSS OVER....
Dts all

hahaha

bro my eyes don clear tay tay

no more paying magu money

i give the ones that truly need the money

offering can go to the church because i know the church needs money to pay bills and all

sowing seed,tithe and other bills way church they throw goes to the needy..period

wake up from your deep sleep

4 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by BluntBoy(m): 10:07am On Oct 08, 2017
Tweetums:
100% wrong
Explain why, please?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by andreawills96(f): 10:08am On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:

Opinions please.

. no passage specified you must pay it in the church
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by BluntBoy(m): 10:09am On Oct 08, 2017
Fxwarrior:

Gerarahea mehn. One thing about verses is that people twist it to fit condition.
Giving to the poor is different from giving your tithe to the poor.

The scripture was clear about bringing it to the church . Obedience is better than sacrifice. Pray Saul calamity don't fall on you sha.

Church is different from temple.

4 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bedspread: 10:09am On Oct 08, 2017
tuclap:

And who told you its not for the pastor? We must just learn to respect God by following his commandments. We must not question the church on what they or who takes the tithes
its not to your pastor , Except your pastor is a thief.. your pastor definitely has a percentage of the cash Dts comes in to the church but not all , Except he is a criminal...
Your tithes, offerings are used for Evangelism : which is the heart beat of GOD,
For sending missionaries , establishing churches etc....

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by tuclap(m): 10:10am On Oct 08, 2017
gentle007:

Taking it to the store house as you said does not mean you should give it to your pastor. It says so that there may be food in my house. How do you give tithe to your pastor and poor ones that are supposed to benefit from it according to Deuteronomy 14 vs 22 to 29 are still suffering. Your tithe is supposed to serve as answer to their prayer.

And that is were the word gift comes in. There is a law which says pay your tithe, there is also a law that says bless others o that you an b bless

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bedspread: 10:11am On Oct 08, 2017
andreawills96:
. no passage specified you must pay it in the church
"bring ur all the tithes into my house" Malachi 3:10. Your church today is GOD's House

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Reference(m): 10:11am On Oct 08, 2017
Lordkratus:
I wish you can discuss this portion of the Bible and explain in depth for our lazy Christians to read and understand make it a topic and we pray it hits front page. I dun tire for our liars that quotes malachai 3-10 which is just a reference to this deutoronomy. I would have done it myself but Abeg I no fit type many things. God bless the op for his good deed

This is a classic case where scripture tries to address multiple issues under one topic. The main topic is about earnings. Under that it has instructions for tithes and instructions for the rest and this is repeated at least twice. It can easily be misinterpreted if not read and understood closely since it begins with a text on tithes. The distinction is however clear line by line as to what a tithe is, what it is meant for and to whom it should go.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Enasuarez(m): 10:11am On Oct 08, 2017
It's foolishness for you to come on this platform to tell us how you helped a needy. Giving of alms like the Pharisees of the old in the Bible. Now you think God is stupid by telling you to bring your tithe into His store house; Malachi 3vs 9-11?. Your one-tenth of your earnings belongs to God. Obedience is better than the sacrifice. You can give the needy anything your mind tells you, but not the portion that belongs to God 1/10th. Wisdom is profitable to direct.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bedspread: 10:12am On Oct 08, 2017
cristianisraeli:

hahaha

offering can go to the church because i know the church needs money to pay bills and all

sowing seed,tithe and other bills way church they throw goes to the needy..period

YOU ROBBING YOURSELF ...
By GOD's GRACE:
I PAY MY TITHE: THE FIRST THING THAT COMES ONCE CASH ENTERS MY HAND

I GIVE OFFERINGS

I SOW MY SEEDS

I GIVE ALMS

AND GOD HAS BLESSED BEYOND MY REASONING.....
MY BROTHER, YOU CANT GIVE MORE THAN GOD...
Obey what he says... don't be wise in your own eyes....

PAY YOUR TITHE AS COMMANDED NOT AS YOU WANT...
GOD BLESS YOU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by tuclap(m): 10:12am On Oct 08, 2017
cristianisraeli:

hahaha

Your space for hell go dey very sure without double chance IF you continue this your mindset
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by emerged01(m): 10:12am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:

I'm getting confused about tithe day by day. I was told that particular scripture is referring to priests/pastors. I was told they are only entitle to 10% of the titles of the church,90% are meant for the welfare of the neeey and the church.
I believe Op is wrong in sense that he might have given his tithe to a cursed beggar.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by 12345baba(m): 10:13am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:

there are other ways to spend your tithe go and read Deuteronomy 14 22-29. Pastors refuse to preach that. Read and be free

3 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Desyner: 10:13am On Oct 08, 2017
Yes you are wrong OP. Tithes goes to the church as ordained by God and charity is for beggars. Jesus commands us not to let even our right hand know of what our left hand is doing regarding charity, but you come here to suggest to all what you are doing. God isn't your mate or your colleague.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by iamnlia(m): 10:13am On Oct 08, 2017
tuclap:

Mind you there is a big gap between gift and tithes. If you dont study bible, leave it for those that do instead of confusing others
not confusing, just being rational and human.
Peace
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Fxwarrior: 10:14am On Oct 08, 2017
Uhomanbulus110:
If your heart free you there no problem

If his heart freed him, would he have come here to ask us. Its obvious the dude knows he fukup sha only wants us to calm his conscience.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / Sins That Cry To Heaven For Vengeance / Before Your Son Brings Another Son As His Wife, Wake Up - Bishop Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.