Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (46794 Views)

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? / Can I Postpone My Tithe Till Next Payment? / "I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by hopefulLandlord: 10:27am On Oct 08, 2017
seejay80s:

how many of Jesus disciple gave him tithe?
learn how to detect sarcasm

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by mrmachine: 10:27am On Oct 08, 2017
God bless you for your consciousness that paying tithe is the God's command, you won't miss the blessedness thereof. But giving alms to the poor is different from tithe and God commands that you should bring it to the store house so that there would be meat in my house. Please be guided by the scriptures where you pay your tithe. The spirit of God must have whispered to you for you to ask whether you are right or wrong. God bless you in Jesus name Amen.

bedspread:

It's Wonderful to give to the poor... INFACT the Bible specifically talks about dt.

But Your Tithe is not a gift. Neither is it your money. Your Tithe is GOD's SHARE of your Money. And He Directs where it should be taken to. See Malachi 3:10

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Teespice(f): 10:27am On Oct 08, 2017
OP, you did the right thing anybody would do.
ignore the brainwashed people telling you that you have done wrong.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:28am On Oct 08, 2017
profmiganigal:
You are totally wrong.....dont dilute the word of God.....

The tithe is meant for the church......pastors and the rest....

If u decide to help a beggar no problem

But ur tithe is meant for the church and be blessed by his servants

You are wrong....and hell is real my brother.

Ask God for forgiveness
Im sure you dont read teh bible, you just go to church to listen!
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by senatoradeolaa: 10:28am On Oct 08, 2017
If your spirit moves u to do then do it. Only God knows.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Chommieblaq(f): 10:28am On Oct 08, 2017
survtony:
Christianity is turning into something else. Usually I don't comment on such but I will now. Most people contradict themselves, they choose what they want to believe and just hold on to it. 1- Going through the whole passages about tithe, the soul aim was to provide food for those who can't provide for themselves(levites in those days, homeless and poor), 2- the God says, whatever you give to the poor, you have given unto him. He said on the last day, you shall make heaven cause you clothed, fed, and gave him shelter through the poor. Telling someone he disobeyed the commandment cause he gave his tithe to the poor directly instead of giving it to the pastor to give to the poor is funny to me. Tithe is all about feeding.
And don't bother quoting Abraham, cause what he gave was spoilers from war.
If you must choose to obey any law in the Old Testament, then obey all which includes killing your enemies, woman not entering the alter or going to church during her periods, eating some certain animals etc.
Be wise people, we have to be wise

Thank you. They quick to choose the verse that suits their aim.

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by victorazyvictor(m): 10:29am On Oct 08, 2017
HajimeSaito:
You have done the most noble thing a Christian can do. Don't listen to any son of Belial who tells you otherwise.

Proverbs 19:17

Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.

Proverbs 28:27

Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to them receive many curses.

Oga your 100% wrong. giving to the poor is not tithing as they are different thing. Go and read Malachi 3.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Darvel(m): 10:29am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
IF YOU HAVE A CLEAR UNDERSTANDING AND BELIEVE IN YOUR CREATOR... YOU WILL NOT SEE YOUR TITHE AS MONEY GIVEN YO YOUR PASTOR..... a Pastor that Eats people's Tithe is seating on a Gun Powder. Unless you are in a yahoo yahoo church. Your Tithe is used to Expand , Promote and propagate The GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST

Oga..

Jehovah witness dat doesn't collect tithe and offering nko... Na dem preach n propagate d gospel pass. dey even Giv books ND Bible for free sef...

3 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by losak9111(m): 10:29am On Oct 08, 2017
My brother don't mind those religious migot, u did the right thing, u just earned yourself another star in Heaven
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Lexusgs430: 10:29am On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

But was I wrong to have given my 10percent to a beggar instead of to the alter?

Opinions please.

How mush dis 10% be?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by leofab(f): 10:30am On Oct 08, 2017
Hh
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:30am On Oct 08, 2017
lightinchrist4:
Very wrong, your tithe is to God.. Alms is to the poor. Maybe you using the word tithe makes ne qualify it as wrong. Its not bad to give 10% of your income to the poor its still alms BUT your TITHE 10% of your income to God is sure.
As for those looking at you wrongly thats their business, when giving alms to the poor be it millions of naira its all for your benefit cause youre doing it in the sight of God not man.
what part of teh scripture do you think support your thought?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by zendi: 10:30am On Oct 08, 2017
Your tithe should go to your church, even on a weekday.
Then you give alms (of any size you wish) to the beggar/the poor/the needy.
What you've just done is you robbed God.
Or you made the beggar your god.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by segunojo866: 10:30am On Oct 08, 2017
profmiganigal:
You are totally wrong.....dont dilute the word of God.....

The tithe is meant for the church......pastors and the rest....

If u decide to help a beggar no problem

But ur tithe is meant for the church and be blessed by his servants

You are wrong....and hell is real my brother.

Ask God for forgiveness
are you for real? Nawa o

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Originalsly: 10:31am On Oct 08, 2017
Tithes.......as some advised above.... and quoted... read Deuteronomy 14 for yourself..... the chwpter almost all the pastors jump over...it's not good for their tithe business. They quote from all over.... bend scriptures to show why tithing is a must..... link tithing to blessings and salvation.... and if that is not enough... have an ongoing pyramid scheme known as sowing seed. Ask yourself....why your pastor never preaches about what the Bible says about how the tithes must be used. If you believe you need to pay give tithes... then use that portion of your income to help those that are suffering. Your pastor will demand to know why you didn't pay the ransom tithes....... tell him not to worry... let him know you met God on the way and gave it to Him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by victorazyvictor(m): 10:31am On Oct 08, 2017
erico2k2:

Im sure you dont read teh bible, you just go to church to listen!

He is right my brother. Tithe is done in church not on the street. read your Bible well.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Pesuzok(m): 10:31am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
its not to your pastor , Except your pastor is a thief.. your pastor definitely has a percentage of the cash Dts comes in to the church but not all , Except he is a criminal...
Your tithes, offerings are used for Evangelism : which is the heart beat of GOD,
For sending missionaries , establishing churches etc....

So where is it stated in the bible that the tithes should be used for these.

The bible said 'so that there would be food in my house'

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Darvel(m): 10:31am On Oct 08, 2017
Reference:

Yes you are wrong. The scriptures explicitly says that you should bring your tithes, "into God's storehouse so that there may be food there". In the old testament (pre-church era) Abraham offered a tithe to ''God's messenger...God's servant".

So one of few things: Tithes are given to specific people for specific reasons. That is why they have a value attached to them and are mandatory. God uses it for 'food in his house'.... to keep His house running.

Thus I cannot see how giving it to a beggar does that except you are specifically instructed by the Spirit of God and is most unlikely because the Spirit and the Word are one.

so there may be food.. not dere may be private jets... ur church members Hunger dey catch dem... Oga..
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:31am On Oct 08, 2017
Lexusgs430:

How mush dis 10% be?
Devide your money into 100 part park 10 part comot, nah %10 B dat grin grin grin grin
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:32am On Oct 08, 2017
victorazyvictor:

He is right my brother
Care to prove it?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:

Exactly the scriptures that sprung on my mind when I gave her.

And it gave me inner peace and I felt proud to have lent to the Lord.

Fool
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by victorazyvictor(m): 10:33am On Oct 08, 2017
Pesuzok:

The bible said 'so that there would be food in my house'
what is food?
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by pocohantas(f): 10:33am On Oct 08, 2017
Na here you go see Sirfee.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:33am On Oct 08, 2017
victorazyvictor:

He is right my brother. Tithe is done in church not on the street. read your Bible well.
I have read teh Bible, trust me, have you?the levites are they in the church?

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by survtony(m): 10:33am On Oct 08, 2017
stagger:

So a beggar is now equivalent to God...

Oya come an unwash my brain...laundryman. Only 15% of Nigeria's population has bank accounts. Has the economy stopped moving?
When you enter taxi, do you pay to the taxi man's account number? When you buy crayfish or you visit your ashawo customer at night, do you pay into account number?

I hate it when humans start answering like goats.

Giving to a beggar is giving to God. Matt 25:36-40, Jesus told the rich man to sell all he has and give to the POOR not to church. He always emphasise on giving to the poor no to church. Let's try to understand the bible not understanding a certain part of it

3 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by segunojo866: 10:34am On Oct 08, 2017
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by victorazyvictor(m): 10:34am On Oct 08, 2017
erico2k2:
Care to prove it?
Tithe and giving to poor are totally 2 diff things.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Darvel(m): 10:34am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
its not to your pastor , Except your pastor is a thief.. your pastor definitely has a percentage of the cash Dts comes in to the church but not all , Except he is a criminal...
Your tithes, offerings are used for Evangelism : which is the heart beat of GOD,
For sending missionaries , establishing churches etc....

Jehovah witness wey we no like... Hmmmm...

Na dem preach d gospel pass... but dey don't collect tithe and offering and seed and crusade money.. and daddy g.o money and birthday money...

but dey give free books and even Bible..

dy don't rely on money for pushing d gospel

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by davidakor1: 10:35am On Oct 08, 2017
The bible says you should bring your tithe into the store house, not give it to a begger, beware of disobidience
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by CecyAdrian(f): 10:35am On Oct 08, 2017
stagger:

So a beggar is now equivalent to God...

Oya come an unwash my brain...laundryman. Only 15% of Nigeria's population has bank accounts. Has the economy stopped moving?
When you enter taxi, do you pay to the taxi man's account number? When you buy crayfish or you visit your ashawo customer at night, do you pay into account number?

I hate it when humans start answering like goats.

Remember Jesus said 'I was hungry yet you did not give me bread' his disciples asked him when they saw him and didn't give him food...what was his answer. Read the scripture and help your self youngman

3 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by segunojo866: 10:35am On Oct 08, 2017
survtony:

Giving to a beggar is giving to God. Matt 25:36-40, Jesus told the rich man to sell all he has and give to the POOR not to church. He always emphasise on giving to the poor no to church. Let's try to understand the bible not understanding a certain part of it
I wonder what atheists thinks about it
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bedspread: 10:36am On Oct 08, 2017
Pesuzok:

A COMMAND HAS BEING ISSUED TO GO INTO THE WORLD, and Preach The Hospel to Every Creature Mark 16:15...

The funds are used for such purposes...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / Sins That Cry To Heaven For Vengeance / Before Your Son Brings Another Son As His Wife, Wake Up - Bishop Oyedepo

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.