Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (46766 Views)

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? / Can I Postpone My Tithe Till Next Payment? / "I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Lordkratus(m): 10:45am On Oct 08, 2017
stagger:

Why don't you provide your take on the topic instead of quoting me? Wetin make you dey quote me? You are the one living in a fool's paradise for quoting me.
okpor deceiver for self benefit
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bedspread: 10:45am On Oct 08, 2017
nnamdiokere45:
i hope say u go reach heaven?
THATS MY GREATEST DESIRE.... AND BY THE GRACE AND MERCY I WILL MAKE IT IN JESUS NAME......AMEN
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Originalsly: 10:46am On Oct 08, 2017
All these pastors calling for tithes. ....people should start fetching to church 10% of their harvests..... yams, cassava, catfish, chickens, snails, goats, etc...take them in to the church.... after all....isn't that what the Bible say?

1 Like

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by okenwaa(m): 10:46am On Oct 08, 2017
NewNigeriaMind:

You are already blessed my brother. Ask God and you shall receive.

You don’t need a priest for God’s Blessing.

When you live the testament of Christ Jesus you shall realize all your needs have been provided for and it carries more weight when you ask directly from God than from a priest.

I'm not saying you need a priest before God can bless you..

You still remember what God said about giving to a priest??

It attracts it's own blessing.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 08, 2017
CecyAdrian:

You are a bigger FOOL

It's like you're very stupid... I follow you talk? If you quote me again hot cum will fall on you this morning.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Adadioranma79(f): 10:47am On Oct 08, 2017
The spirit led him? If truly the spirit did, he ll be so fulfilled and too contended with his deed that he wont even want to share such wonderful/ bliss moment on here. He doesnt need this validation, some of you are yet to experience the true joy of giving. No offense intended.
KAYCEEJUNIOR:
Seat for one corner jor, he paid his tithe accordingly and perfectly, the spirit lead him to do that for the less privileged not for luxury cars pastors. I prefer to help a soul for a tithe...humanity is what the world really needs now
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:47am On Oct 08, 2017
Omoluabi16:
You are very wrong bro. read Malachi 3:10 and notice the keywords STOREHOUSE, MINE HOUSE. You do not love the poor more than God. Simple obedience is better than works. Saul lost his heritage because of Simple obedience.
How is a store house equaled to a church?
You keep produce in a store house for off seasons after farming,no one gathers there or lives in it.This is where the manipulation takes place.
Do you live in teh store house inside your house??

4 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Seamareggae(m): 10:47am On Oct 08, 2017
lightinchrist4:
Very wrong, your tithe is to God.. Alms is to the poor. Maybe you using the word tithe makes ne qualify it as wrong. Its not bad to give 10% of your income to the poor its still alms BUT your TITHE 10% of your income to God is sure.
As for those looking at you wrongly thats their business, when giving alms to the poor be it millions of naira its all for your benefit cause youre doing it in the sight of God not man.
So him giving it to a beggar... Means he didn't give it to God... Right?

Until he gives it to a pastor... Then it becomes tithe right... .

God help us...

4 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:48am On Oct 08, 2017
Originalsly:
All these pastors calling for tithes. ....people should start fetching to church 10% of their harvests..... yams, cassava, catfish, chickens, snails, goats, etc...take them in to the church.... after all....isn't that what the Bible say?
Exactly and keep it in the store,,we can feed teh poor from it.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
THEY PAID THEIR TITHES AND OFFERINGS
So what exactly is the tithe and how did it became money?

Cos even the Bible said if the place we are to give our tithe is too far, we are to convert the tithe to money then, go there with the money and convert the money back to tithe when we get to our tithing destination.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Pesuzok(m): 10:48am On Oct 08, 2017
victorazyvictor:

what is food?

No, you tell me, I just read that deut, now and it stated what the food meant
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by victorazyvictor(m): 10:48am On Oct 08, 2017
erico2k2:

Malachi 3:10New International Version (NIV)

10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

As you can see, no church was mentioned and we cant add to the words of the bible!

You kept quoting verses you never understand
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:49am On Oct 08, 2017
Seamareggae:

So him giving it to a beggar... Means he didn't give it to God... Right?

Until he gives it to a pastor... They it becomes title right... .

God help us...
ahah Guy leave them nah, I nor see how God go take punish a person who had been giving to the poor his whole life

3 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 08, 2017
Mumu Christians
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Aitee1: 10:50am On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:

Exactly the scriptures that sprung on my mind when I gave her.

And it gave me inner peace and I felt proud to have lent to the Lord.

That was welfare offering you just gave not tithe bro, all the same you do well but just know that you haven't paid your tithe for that month!
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Pesuzok(m): 10:50am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
A COMMAND HAS BEING ISSUED TO GO INTO THE WORLD, and Preach The Hospel to Every Creature Mark 16:15...

The funds are used for such purposes...

Did the bible said the tithes should be used for that. Please show me the verse. JW are also spreading the word of God
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by victorazyvictor(m): 10:50am On Oct 08, 2017
Pesuzok:

No, you tell me, I just read that deut, now and it stated what the food meant

Your just reading it now and u thinks ur edible to ague with me.

I asked you a question, plz answer me, don't reply me with question.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by erico2k2(m): 10:50am On Oct 08, 2017
victorazyvictor:

You kept quoting verses you never understand
It is i n plain English, there is no ambiguity in that.there is no room for expansion or explanation.it is waht it is.Church,Store,Tithe,Money

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by growth: 10:50am On Oct 08, 2017
you are very wrong , because the reason God asked for the tithe is that "so that food may be in God's HOUSE"

So the purpose which God had asked for the tithe has not been fulfilled by giving a beggar.

Thanks
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 08, 2017
Chommieblaq:

Not just for the priest
Deut 14:28-29
"28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns,m 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotmentn or inheritanceo of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands."
Mind you the priest then, have no other source of income or inheritance, they dedicate their live for the sole purpose of serving God and people.

Oga u try.......why u pick from 28- 29

Why not start from 19-26......

This is the problem we have......pick few verses and analyse to suit us.....

Stop diluting the word of God
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by iliyande(m): 10:51am On Oct 08, 2017
Issue of tithing is a command, not an obligation or matter of choice bro. In Malachi 3:10:

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Giving to the poor or needed is also a standard of Christ teachings.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bigsam76(m): 10:52am On Oct 08, 2017
illitrate:
Wrong.

It is written clearly, Bring your tithe into my store house, so that it may be food in my house. No begger is Gods storehouse.
Obey instruction if you want to pay your tithe.

Giving is good but a paracetamol cannot do the work of an aspirin. You will get the reward for giving and not tithing.

Give, and it will give given unto you. That will be your reward
And will cast out the devourer and the canker-worm will not eat your crops, You missed that bro.

You will probably be given for giving but the canker-worms will eat it.

And why would the same God that blessed me for giving still allow the cankerworms to devour such blessings? Are His blessings not supposed to be permanent. Why give me with the right hand and take back with the left? Thought that's supposed to be one of the antics of the devil
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by stagger: 10:52am On Oct 08, 2017
survtony:

Giving to a beggar is giving to God. Matt 25:36-40, Jesus told the rich man to sell all he has and give to the POOR not to church. He always emphasise on giving to the poor no to church. Let's try to understand the bible not understanding a certain part of it

- He that giveth to the poor lendeth to the Lord... Proverbs 19 verse 17
- In so far as you have done this to one of my brethren, you have done it unto Me...Matthew 25 verse 40-45
- He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack; but he that withdraweth his eyes shall have many a curse. Prov 28 verse 27

I can quote several scriptures for you here which mandates us to give to the poor. Go and read my original post on page 2 and stop quoting me half-baked. I am fully in support of giving to the poor and I give to the poor very very liberally. I won't blow my trumpet here.

But I do not take the portion which belongs to God (my 10%) to give to the poor. The poor have their portion in my earnings but not from the 10% that belongs to God (tithe).

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bedspread: 10:52am On Oct 08, 2017
Pesuzok:

Did the bible said the tithes should be used for that. Please show me the verse. JW are also spreading the word of God
Not the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Darvel(m): 10:54am On Oct 08, 2017
bedspread:
I BELIEVE JESUS DIED FOR ME
I BELIEVE HE RESURRECTED
I BELIEVE HE IS COMING TO RAPTURE ME TO HEAVEN...
I BELIEVE THAT ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS IS SIN
the people u called do not.... they spread false gospel.... they can't be my standard

how many u Don preach..

dey believe Jesus resurrected

dey believe Jesus is coming

dey believe in heaven to

dey also believe dere is sin...

but which one u Don preach.. even ur entire church... rather always quoting malachi.. pay this pay that... Shuuu... don't judge any congregation...

u are not even dere standard.. coz when it comes to d gospel.. dem go beat u hands down
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bibe(m): 10:54am On Oct 08, 2017
Reference:

Yes you are wrong. The scriptures explicitly says that you should bring your tithes, "into God's storehouse so that there may be food there". In the old testament (pre-church era) Abraham offered a tithe to ''God's messenger...God's servant".

So one of few things: Tithes are given to specific people for specific reasons. That is why they have a value attached to them and are mandatory. God uses it for 'food in his house'.... to keep His house running.

Thus I cannot see how giving it to a beggar does that except you are specifically instructed by the Spirit of God and is most unlikely because the Spirit and the Word are one.

Stop twisting the Bible to suit your argument. Tithe was never money, it was agricultural produce. And it's not meant for the Levites alone, the widow's, orphans and even strangers were to be beneficiaries.

PS: Labourers and tax collectors were exempt, only agricultural produce producers were required to tithe. Money is not of God, it's an invention of man. There's was never anywhere in the scripture you were required to tithe with money. Besides, pastors and clergies do not and will never qualify as Levites.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by dadexcel: 10:55am On Oct 08, 2017
mdokaba1:
It was a very stressful week for me as it involved lots of travels and all. So its a Saturday and I was paid for a project I did for the month past.

Going by my tired nature, I knew deep down me that there was no way I could have made it to church the next day and I was hell bent on paying my tithe because of the inherent blessings therein and the last thing on my mind would be to give it to my nebor to pay it for me. (The guy broke and besides I didn't want him to start calculating my take-home (Na sharp man). And I knew deep down that if I keep the money till the next time I would be in church, I was sure I would spend it. (God have mercy on me sha)

So I decided even before getting home to package my tithe and while in the market on a shopping spree I package my tithe and dropped it in the plate of an old beggar. (A mulsim beggar precisely)

Instantly, I saw 50 shades of shocks on her face as she looked at me for a few seconds and I could read her facials more like "For this Buharia?" Lols. And before I disappeared into the crowd, I could see/read her lips mutter prayers pointing towards me. And deep down, I felt blessed and fulfilled.

But was I wrong to have given my 10percent to a beggar instead of to the alter?

Opinions please.............................. My brother, you may have done what appears right before men, but scriptur ally wrong.... God speaking in the Book of malachi 3vs ten, chapter three specifically said this "

[10] Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it........ God also speaking in the Book of samuel stated emphatically stated that obedience is better than sacrifice..... While you might have sacrificed your money to the begger, it can only serve as alms giving, but your tithe belongs to the Church......... Gods way is different from mans ways....... God bless you

Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bedspread: 10:55am On Oct 08, 2017
stagger:

- He that giveth to the poor lendeth to the Lord... Proverbs 19 verse 17
- In so far as you have done this to one of my brethren, you have done it unto Me...Matthew 25 verse 40-45
- He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack; but he that withdraweth his eyes shall have many a curse. Prov 28 verse 27

I can quote several scriptures for you here which mandates us to give to the poor. Go and read my original post on page 2 and stop quoting me half-baked. I am fully in support of giving to the poor and I give to the poor very very liberally. I won't blow my trumpet here.

But I do not take the portion which belongs to God (my 10%) to give to the poor. The poor have their portion in my earnings but not from the 10% that belongs to God (tithe).
GIVING ALMS AND PAYING TITHES ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS..... You can give wat u want. But in tithing you pay at minimum 10%
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 08, 2017
bigsam76:

And why would the same God that blessed me for giving still allow the cankerworms to devour such blessings? Are His blessings not supposed to be permanent. Why give me with the right hand and take back with the left? Thought that's supposed to be one of the antics of the devil

Because you can get something using a formula, keeping it requires another formula.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by Pesuzok(m): 10:57am On Oct 08, 2017
victorazyvictor:

Your just reading it now and u thinks ur edible to ague with me.

I asked you a question, plz answer me, don't reply me with question.

You should be the one to clarify what food meant with quotes from the Bible since you have known it before me.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by bedspread: 10:57am On Oct 08, 2017
Darvel:

how many u Don preach..

dey believe Jesus resurrected

dey believe Jesus is coming

dey believe in heaven to

dey also believe dere is sin...

but which one u Don preach.. even ur entire church... rather always quoting malachi.. pay this pay that... Shuuu... don't judge any congregation...

u are not even dere standard.. coz when it comes to d gospel.. dem go beat u hands down
its not by Quantity of wat u preach it's by the QUALITY OF WHAT U PREACH.
Re: I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? by prettybea: 10:58am On Oct 08, 2017
u r wrong dear, ur tithe is meant to b given in church, giving to the begger is good but cannot b substituted wit ur tithe. they r both different n hav different blessings attached to them

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply)

Another Pastor Fails To Resurrect Man After Jumping Inside Grave [PHOTOS] / Mad Man 'healed' By Salvation Ministry Is Back To The Street - Freeze Reacts / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.