Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,303 members, 7,808,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (274844 Views)

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 3:13pm On Oct 28, 2017
signature2012:

If this is the only thing @ bolded,then is what having.The only people i see complain about credit cards are the ones who cant manage their spending.

Have you read recent statistics on credit card debt profiles and those in serious trouble (leading to bankruptcy, charge added to assets etc etc)?

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 3:16pm On Oct 28, 2017
signature2012:

You are very very wrong.Yes is called a credit card and the fund in it is meant for spending.You cant reside in the western world without a credit card,you just have to be a prudent spender and not an impulse buyer just because you have a credit card.

Let me use your illustration.Your credit card limit is $3000 for example,to have a good credit score,you are not suppose to spend more than 65% of that money which is $1,950 every month.

If your minimum payment happens to be $50 every month,to avoid charges,it will be for your own good to pay back in full the exact amount you spent from your credit card and not the minimum payment($50).

Do this for good 6 - 9 months and see how your credit limit will rise to $10,000 or more with juicy offers knocking on your door with mostly 0 APR,and your credit score in the range of 750 -850.

Now back to your advise using debit card,is it not same money you intend to spend from credit card you will also spend using your debit card?So why not just spend it from you credit card in which will make you have better offers if you want to get a car,house etc than spending from your debit card with not benefit to gain.

The major problem people have with credit card is impulse spending or lack of finance management.That is when debt start piling up and it makes them run bankrupt.

Why not?

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by signature2012(m): 3:25pm On Oct 28, 2017
justwise:

Why not?

Dont tell me you dont have one.In the state i am,in some areas,you must show your credit score before you can rent accommodation.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by maternal: 3:33pm On Oct 28, 2017
justwise:

Why not?

You're literally a 2nd class citizen without one in the west. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 3:43pm On Oct 28, 2017
maternal:

You're literally a 2nd class citizen without one in the west. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.

You are so ignorant to believe that you can't survive in the west without credit card.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 3:45pm On Oct 28, 2017
signature2012:

Dont tell me you dont have one.In the state i am,in some areas,you must show your credit score before you can rent accommodation.

I don't and I have survived for more than 10yrs without one. i don't spend what I don't have.

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 3:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
justwise:

I don't and I have survived for more than 10yrs without one. i don't spend what I don't have.

Word.......

24 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 3:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
maternal:

Totally false.......

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 3:58pm On Oct 28, 2017
signature2012:

I hope you are gradually seeing through the other side of the divide?

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 4:00pm On Oct 28, 2017
UKmigrant - You see wetin that picture you post don cause?

10 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by DisGuy: 4:00pm On Oct 28, 2017
maternal:

I don't even know what part if your statement to respond to first.. undecided

My only advice is to be very prudent with your credit card if you have one, i know people that collect it spend on it make full payment then cut the card up into pieces just to avoid temptation cheesy

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by maternal: 4:01pm On Oct 28, 2017
justwise:
[/b]

You are so ignorant to believe that you can't survive in the west without credit card.

Credit card relates to credit score. Without a good credit score I couldn't get a mortgage. Without a good credit score I couldn't land my government job. Without a good credit score certain people in my family wouldn't be able to get a bank job and so forth. I don't even think one can even book a hotel room without a credit card anymore. Again, anyone who knows what they're talking about knows a person is a 2nd class citizen without a credit card and good credit in the west.

14 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 4:02pm On Oct 28, 2017
DisGuy:

I don't even know what part if your statement to respond to first.. undecided

My only advice is to be very prudent with your credit card if you have one, i know people that collect it spend on it make full payment then cut the card up into pieces just to avoid temptation cheesy

They are the wise one's..... Some hug it and eventually end up hugging very hot fire.....
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by maternal: 4:04pm On Oct 28, 2017
justwise:

This is not about living within your means. This is about building and maintaining a good credit score in the west through credit card. Therefore, that allows you to do other things. You may be surviving but you're definitely not maximizing the countries full benefits.

3 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 4:07pm On Oct 28, 2017
maternal:

Credit card relates to credit score. Without a good credit score I couldn't get a mortgage. Without a good credit score I couldn't land my government job. Without a good credit score certain people in my family wouldn't be able to get a bank job and so forth. I don't even think one can even book a hotel room without a credit card anymore. Again, anyone who knows what they're talking about knows a person is a 2nd class citizen without a credit card and good credit in the west.

I agree with the credit score angle, but loads of other ways to build credit scores.

People with adverse credit scores still survive in the west, right?
Or are you saying everyone in the west has a positive credit score?
A debit card can easily book hotel rooms, some hotels even accept PayPal....
Without a credit card, jobs can be got. Simply provide other forms of identification....

It is obvious, with an adverse credit score, to get a job in the banking/financial sector, is like trying to search for a cock with front tooth......

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 4:08pm On Oct 28, 2017
maternal:

This is not about living within your means. This is about building and maintaining a good credit score in the west through credit card. Therefore, that allows you to do other things. You may be surviving but you're definitely not maximizing the countries full benefits.

Maximizing full benefits? Like?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by signature2012(m): 4:14pm On Oct 28, 2017
Lexusgs430:

I hope you are gradually seeing through the other side of the divide?

Yet to see anything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by signature2012(m): 4:15pm On Oct 28, 2017
justwise:

Obviously you dont understand what credit card really means.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 28, 2017

30 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 4:18pm On Oct 28, 2017
signature2012:

Yet to see anything.

Ok.... I wish you many pleasant credit card spending years ahead.....
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by maternal: 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2017
Lexusgs430:

I agree with the credit score angle, but loads of other ways to build credit scores.

People with adverse credit scores still survive in the west, right?
Or are you saying everyone in the west has a positive credit score?
A debit card can easily book hotel rooms, some hotels even accept PayPal....
Without a credit card, jobs can be got. Simply provide other forms of identification....

It is obvious, with an adverse credit score, to get a job in the banking/financial sector, is like trying to search for a cock with front tooth......

You're proving my point. With a bad credit score see all the back door things you have to do. And no not everyone has a good credit score here. And they are 2nd class citizens.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by signature2012(m): 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2017
maternal:

You cant even rent a car....So many things attached to credit card,not just spending the fund.
I totally agree with you,without a credit card you are seen as a 2nd class whatsoever.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by signature2012(m): 4:22pm On Oct 28, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Ok.... I wish you many pleasant credit card spending years ahead.....

As i said earlier,only people with bad spending habit HATE credit cards.

The number 1 aim of every citizen is to have a house of their own,how many can buy a house cash down without CREDIT?

6 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 4:24pm On Oct 28, 2017
maternal:

You're proving my point. With a bad credit score see all the back door things you have to do. And no not everyone has a good credit score here. And they are 2nd class citizens.

PayPal payment is not back door, it's called protection. I know section 75 accords the same type of protection (but horses for courses)...
Paying for a hotel, via debit card is not a back door approach (it means spending what I have)

I have not seen any back door approach, from my previous response.......

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by maternal: 4:24pm On Oct 28, 2017
UKmigrant:
As I understand, having credit card and using it wisely is like building a financial reputation, it is beneficial in the long run as people who can lend you have a background with which to judge you when you need their help. On the other hand, not having a credit card or having one and not using it means that you cannot prove to anyone that you can be trusted with money so you are confined to only living within you income.

While on paper, not having one or not using it might seem like a wise thing to do, you have no safety net. My credit card is my back up in times of emergency, that's just how I see it and I intend to use it to build a very good credit score within the next one year.

Well said. It's not the actually credit card. It's being trust worthy being given credit when you need it. The concept is common sense. How you manage your credit/finances allows the banks, landlord, cell companies, etc to decide whether they can trust you or not. I really don't know why people can't understand this, especially when the west (at least north america) is a credit base system.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by signature2012(m): 4:25pm On Oct 28, 2017
UKmigrant:
As I understand, having credit card and using it wisely is like building a financial reputation, it is beneficial in the long run as people who can lend you have a background with which to judge you when you need their help. On the other hand, not having a credit card or having one and not using it means that you cannot prove to anyone that you can be trusted with money so you are confined to only living within your income and you can't even have cover in times of emergency.

Most of the rich men we know don't even live within their income, they depend on borrowing to run their businesses.

While on paper, not having one or not using it might seem like a wise thing to do, you have no safety net. My credit card is my back up in times of emergency, that's just how I see it and I intend to use it to build a very good credit score within the next one year.

More sense fall on you bro.....some people are just ignorant.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 4:26pm On Oct 28, 2017
signature2012:

As i said earlier,only people with bad spending habit HATE credit cards.

The number 1 aim of every citizen is to have a house of their own,how many can buy a house cash down without CREDIT?

Other factors can assist in credit score building and not only credit cards....

A mortgage application would be granted without owning a credit card..

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by maternal: 4:26pm On Oct 28, 2017
Lexusgs430:

PayPal payment is not back door, it's called protection. I know section 74 accords the same type of protection (but horses for courses)...
Paying for a hotel, via debit card is not a back door approach (it means spending what I have)

I have not seen any back door approach, from my previous response.......

You can't book a hotel here with a debit card. Credit card also have fraud protection. These are backdoor/ 2nd class methods.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by signature2012(m): 4:27pm On Oct 28, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Shed more light to this statement,i want to learn more.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 4:27pm On Oct 28, 2017
maternal:

Honestly you have a very poor knowledge of life, yes this is about living within your means and not living for the system.

No matter what your credit score is, you still need to earn it to spend it.

I used to have contract phone and after 3yrs I cancelled it and went back to pay as you go, then two years ago I needed an upgrade and decided to get the phone on contract but I was refused because of poor credit score. If I had gotten that contract it would have set me back about £450 a year through monthly fees and upfront payment.

Then I went online and bought that phone for £300 and still maintain my pay as you go.

If you want to get crippled by system then that's up to you but don't dare tell me that I can't survive without one.

28 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by maternal: 4:28pm On Oct 28, 2017
Lexusgs430:

You don't have a credit card yet a bank will give you 300k for a mortgage ? Omo pass that igbo my way. Which other methods can you use initially to build credit ?

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 4:28pm On Oct 28, 2017
signature2012:

More sense fall on you bro.....some people are just ignorant.

This argument simply serves as a lesson for some. Let's cut the insults, please.......

What backs one, faces another......

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply)

Uk Visa - Visa Appeal Process / Bus Fare Within Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria - Show Us Nigeria Through Your Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.