Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,881 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:09 AM

UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC (66236 Views)

Obi Mirabel: UNN Student To Be Expelled For Twerking In Bikini In A Competition / Top 5 Secrets Of The Statue Of Liberty You Probably Didn’t Know (photos) / I've Been Rusticated From The University In My Final Year. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by diddy11(m): 7:31am On Oct 09, 2017
The action of the management of UNILAG begs th following questions: 1) what section of/ regulation in the UNILAG students handbook did the student breach? 2) does the punishment fit the crime? . Seems the School Management has gone ahead to equate Morality for Law, it is true that an act may be morally wrong however, thiis does not mean it's a breach of the law.
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Mikee19(m): 7:36am On Oct 09, 2017
"pissing on the foundations"!

Really! That's what she was doing! Na wa ooo!

And btw, it's been debunked... She didn't face any panel, not was she rusticated! Na wa for you all!

terefe:
Leaving the issue of wether her actions warranted the punishment. We young ones pretty much have lost a lot of regard/respect for authorities, symbols. Granted its just a statue, but its definitely more than steel and concrete, it represents the struggle and hardwork of people that have made the opportunities, however limited that we have today possible. Discipline in mind and actions is what makes a society great, but we the young ones today seem to be losing that, we just want to live with regard to only our base desires and are willing to do anything to trend on social media and get our 15 seconds of fame. Channel your energy to create lasting positive impressions rather than displaying one corner madness ‘who madness epp’. If people like the VC had spent their youth pissing on the foundations they met on ground and built upon, ask yourself, would you even be in the university? What would the future generations look back and reference you with?
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Donjazzy12(m): 7:37am On Oct 09, 2017
Thank you UNILAG for doing the needful
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Mikee19(m): 7:46am On Oct 09, 2017
Gbemishile1:
People with very shallow minds
It is just a statue to you,but it was made to symbolise someone of great repute
If you want to twerk,go home and twerk in front of your father
For all of you thinking its right
How would you feel if someone did that to your father's statue?

I will feel NOTHING! NOTHING AT ALL! BECAUSE I REALISE IT'S JUST A STATUE AND SHE'S JUST HAVING FUN! Naija mentality sha! So you'll feel terrible that she's twerking in front of your dads statue just for fun? Wawu! Thank God unilag authorities didn't reason your way!
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Mikee19(m): 7:48am On Oct 09, 2017
Donjazzy12:
Thank you UNILAG for doing the needful

Unilag did NOTHING! That's because she did nothing! Na wa for you too!
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by slapandfall(m): 8:10am On Oct 09, 2017
hausadreturn:
To rusticate means to suspend

Thanks bro.. Learnt.. all these grammers too much self smiley
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by mayze: 8:13am On Oct 09, 2017
unmask:
you have lost yours.....because you certainly dont know what is right or wrong....grow up people and if you are grown already...THEN ACT IT!!!
r u confused or u don't understand simple English?
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by mayze: 8:21am On Oct 09, 2017
Mikee19:

Unilag did NOTHING! That's because she did nothing! Na wa for you too!
Ask urslf this simple question..if that was my sister will i be proud of her or i will be embarrassed?
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by SIRTee15: 8:22am On Oct 09, 2017
onyxo76:
no rule as such but consider your environment first, there is a statue of ogedengbe the great ijesa warrior in my home town, maybe a lady should wake up one day and go and dance with it, and let's see how the natives will react.
So....
If a girl dances with ogedengbe statutes....
And she's hacked to death by the natives...
It's justified..
Cos I don't understand u guys....
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Apina(m): 8:41am On Oct 09, 2017
unmask:
you are the ignorant one.....so if someone dances in front of/with the statue of liberty.....he/she will go to jail abi?

You guys are so shackled in your thinking process that I wonder how you survive this long.

Substitute the dancing lady with a dancing pastor or a person that kisses the statue and let us see how you will judge

Nonesense
From your statement, it's evident u have no self respect so u wouldn't understand what respect for others entails. U are even more ignorant than the idi.ot I earlier mentioned for the fact that u are defending his stupidity. Your examples have no connection with the actual event and mind u twerking is a form of dance, a sexually provoking one. It's evident that u are the one in shackles, mentally and intellectually chained. Olodo!
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Philipmems(m): 9:26am On Oct 09, 2017
Apina:

I'm still in doubt that one person can actually conjure up so much ignorance as u just did. If it was useless, it wouldn't be there and so that u do not make an even bigger fool of urself in public, it's not just a statue but a monument. As the statue of liberty is to the Americans, so is that statue to UNILAG. That's why so many persons have no respect for institutions or rules in this country undecided

Continue basking in your useless ignorance, how dare you compare the statue of liberty to that rubbish worthless statue in Unilag. It's obvious you are such a waste of sperm, I am sure your parents are proud of producing your kind. My only advice to people like you who have nothing upstairs is that you should try and travel out of your comfort zone so that you can understand the world better. Respect for institution? Dummy .. the institution that does not respect you.
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by onyxo76(m): 9:27am On Oct 09, 2017
SIRTee15:

So....
If a girl dances with ogedengbe statutes....
And she's hacked to death by the natives...
It's justified..
Cos I don't understand u guys....
first we need to look at twerking as an act, do you consider it appropriate in such an environment? Even if you do such , think about the environment you're performing such an act.
Secondly, a statue is erected in honour of a renowned individual, twerking in front of such shows how much regard you will have such a person if he were alive.
There are a lot of things we post on social media mught just work against you at certain tines, for a forth coming interview for new employees I can already judge your personality from your posts on social media.
Concerning my earlier post, she might be hacked to death, but its better to avoid some actions that moght give people to form impressions about you.
Can you go to a military barracks and twerk in front of late generals statue and go without being flogged for your action?
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Mikee19(m): 9:52am On Oct 09, 2017
mayze:

Ask urslf this simple question..if that was my sister will i be proud of her or i will be embarrassed?

I WILL FEEL NOTHING! I won't be proud, I won't be embarrassed! You're making too big a deal out of nothing! �
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Mikee19(m): 9:53am On Oct 09, 2017
SMH!

onyxo76:
first we need to look at twerking as an act, do you consider it appropriate in such an environment? Even if you do such , think about the environment you're performing such an act.
Secondly, a statue is erected in honour of a renowned individual, twerking in front of such shows how much regard you will have such a person if he were alive.
There are a lot of things we post on social media mught just work against you at certain tines, for a forth coming interview for new employees I can already judge your personality from your posts on social media.
Concerning my earlier post, she might be hacked to death, but its better to avoid some actions that moght give people to form impressions about you.
Can you go to a military barracks and twerk in front of late generals statue and go without being flogged for your action?
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Mikee19(m): 9:59am On Oct 09, 2017
onyxo76:

You realize that soldiers will flog you even when you're right? You realize that they usually take advantage of people who are right, simply because they can? Knowing all these, you decided that such people would be the best example in this case to judge what's right or wrong to do! Such flawed logic! SMH!
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Apina(m): 10:05am On Oct 09, 2017
Philipmems:

Continue basking in your useless ignorance, how dare you compare the statue of liberty to that rubbish worthless statue in Unilag. It's obvious you are such a waste of sperm, I am sure your parents are proud of producing your kind. My only advice to people like you who have nothing upstairs is that you should try and travel out of your comfort zone so that you can understand the world better. Respect for institution? Dummy .. the institution that does not respect you.
undecided

Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by SirLakes: 10:33am On Oct 09, 2017
Me: What's Her offence

UNILAG management: She don commit offence nah, She go seduce baba wey dey hin own jeje.

Lmao grin This kontri izza joke
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by onyxo76(m): 10:49am On Oct 09, 2017
Mikee19:

You realize that soldiers will flog you even when you're right? You realize that they usually take advantage of people who are right, simply because they can? Knowing all these, you decided that such people would be the best example in this case to judge what's right or wrong to do! Such flawed logic! SMH!
I agree that soldiers will take advantage of you even when you are right. But you should by know what point i'm driving at..

twerk | Definition of twerk in English by Oxford Dictionaries
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/twerk
Definition of twerk - dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving thrusting hip movements and a low, squatting stance.

All i have been saying thus far is to consider your environment before acting in a particular manner, most academic environment will not accept such a behaviour, no one will say anything if she did that in a club, marriage reception or a party. Its the act that speaks volumes.
if she took a picture hugging the statue no questions will be asked but "twerking".

There is freedom of expression, but it should be appropriate for place and time. Am not trying to justify UNILAGS decision but we should all be conscious of where we at all time.
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by bigK001: 11:04am On Oct 09, 2017
Me gbadun her steps sha o i no go lie.
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by tintingz(m): 11:22am On Oct 09, 2017
Apina:

I'm still in doubt that one person can actually conjure up so much ignorance as u just did. If it was useless, it wouldn't be there and so that u do not make an even bigger fool of urself in public, it's not just a statue but a monument. As the statue of liberty is to the Americans, so is that statue to UNILAG. That's why so many persons have no respect for institutions or rules in this country undecided
Are you saying one can't twerk on statue of liberty? What then is the liberty attached to it.

A lot of movies has made fun, jokes of the statue of liberty(that's if you watch Hollywood movies) and no law charged them to court.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by tintingz(m): 11:27am On Oct 09, 2017
mayze:

Don't mind them all...we av lost our morals..see them celebrating what doesn't even make any sense..do u think any reputable company will employ or can she get any endorsement if they see such in d future....kiddies everywhere..some gullible ones even said something about suing the school... grin
Morality is relative because something is immoral to you does it also apply to the law? Is prohibition of indecent dressing anywhere in the law?

If the law is not against what she did, she has every right to sue

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by SarcasticSage(m): 11:47am On Oct 09, 2017
chenzen:
and...

The ting goes SKRRRRRAH PA PA KA KA KA SKIDIKI PA PA And a PU PU DRRR BOOM SKYAA DU DU KU KU TUN TUN POOM POOM »
Guy like criously, LOL cheesy
chenzen:
and...

The ting goes SKRRRRRAH PA PA KA KA KA SKIDIKI PA PA And a PU PU DRRR BOOM SKYAA DU DU KU KU TUN TUN POOM POOM »
Guy like criously, LOL
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Apina(m): 12:00pm On Oct 09, 2017
tintingz:
Are you saying one can't twerk on statue of liberty? What then is the liberty attached to it.

A lot of movies has made fun, jokes of the statue of liberty(that's if you watch Hollywood movies) and no law charged them to court.
Thank God u said movies and mind u this isn't America. Their laws and ours aren't the same, if the school chose to take whatever line of action they deem fit for what she did, I believe it would be done in line with the school rules undecided

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Jumkye: 12:19pm On Oct 09, 2017
Nairaland makes me sad sometimes, just imagine people's comments. Sofoluwe died when I was in final year, I remember how we woke up one day to news of our VCs death. I still remember the candlelight procession. So five years later, an undergraduate who was probably still in secondary school will twerk to his statue and you think the school will let her go scotfree, its insane. If it was her father's statue, will she twerk to it and I agree with statue of liberty view though, all those saying rubbish, let them go and twerk to statue of liberty in America and see how they will be deported back to their villages.

Apina:

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by tintingz(m): 12:24pm On Oct 09, 2017
Apina:

Thank God u said movies and mind u this isn't America. Their laws and ours aren't the same, if the school chose to take whatever line of action they deem fit for what she did, I believe it would be done in line with the school rules undecided
What she did and in the movies are same case, videography.

I only pointed out your flaws when you mentioned "statue of liberty", if the school is against what did in-line with the rules, she doesn't deserve that level of punishment, what if pee on the statue?

If the school have no rules to backup their actions, she has every right to sue the school for damages.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by dimmikel: 12:39pm On Oct 09, 2017
I think other things are involve to warrant such degree of punishment
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by mayze: 1:01pm On Oct 09, 2017
tintingz:
Morality is relative because something is immoral to you does it also apply to the law? Is prohibition of indecent dressing anywhere in the law?

If the law is not against what she did, she has every right to sue
Relative to you but not to the school..schools have rules and standards..It's either you leave the school or comply..what's dia to sue if I may ask you?
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Mentorababio: 1:08pm On Oct 09, 2017
guterMann:
SMH at the comments of most of the posters above me.

Most Nigerians dont know their right,no wonder the police and army keep assaulting them physically.

There is no law prohibiting people from dancing(or twerking) with a stature.

Something may be morally wrong but not legally wrong(morality itself is relative).

I hope she meets a very good human right lawyer and sue the school for wrongful dismissal.
for that statement (morality itself is relative) i commend you.
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Apina(m): 1:45pm On Oct 09, 2017
tintingz:
What she did and in the movies are same case, videography.

I only pointed out your flaws when you mentioned "statue of liberty", if the school is against what did in-line with the rules, she doesn't deserve that level of punishment, what if pee on the statue?

If the school have no rules to backup their actions, she has every right to sue the school for damages.
Movies have disclaimers and are rightly pointed out as fiction which her video is clearly not. To compare what she did to a movie setting is utter idio.cy, u are trying so hard to justify a very stup.id act. There's no flaw in my comparison, both are monuments and u do not dare try this rubbish with the statue of liberty which is a tourist site where people get to pay to get close to. No judge will entertain her case, neither will any sensible lawyer take it up Cos where ur right elapses someone else's own starts from. Pls and pls do not mention me again. undecided
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by Gerrard59(m): 1:57pm On Oct 09, 2017
felaismyhero:
see yourself,comparing with countries with high level of intolerance.saudi arabia where women just started driving.i cant be twerking on a (lifeless) statue,but i understand everyone cant be like me.stop forcing ur opinions on others.moral views are subjective,try be more understanding

I'm actually liberal, but I respect the rules governing a place. If I do not like them, I don't go there or break the rules. Yes, there are no rules governing such (twerking in public places), but one needs to understand the kind of environment they find themselves. Nigeria is actually a hypocritical conservative area.

*Singapore is not an intolerant place.
Re: UNILAG Student Rusticated For Twerking With The Statue Of Former VC by tintingz(m): 2:35pm On Oct 09, 2017
Apina:

Movies have disclaimers and are rightly pointed out as fiction which her video is clearly not. To compare what she did to a movie setting is utter idio.cy, u are trying so hard to justify a very stup.id act. There's no flaw in my comparison, both are monuments and u do not dare try this rubbish with the statue of liberty which is a tourist site where people get to pay to get close to. No judge will entertain her case, neither will any sensible lawyer take it up Cos where ur right elapses someone else's own starts from. Pls and pls do not mention me again. undecided
Lol, so why was the movie "half of a yellow sun" ban and later released if the law sees it as fiction?

There are a lot of movies banned in many countries, if movies making fun of statue of liberty and they are not ban, how's it different from the lady's video? If she burnt a flag or passes a hate message then she's against the law.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Please How Can I Get My Original GCE Certificate / How To Perfectly Choose Subjects For SSCE / WAEC Exam / Ugandan Lecturer, Nyanzi, Strips Unclad To Protest Eviction (video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.