Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland (9998 Views)

Aruna Quadri Now Highest-Rated African Table Tennis Player / Odunayo Adekuroye Wins Gold In Poland (Pictures) / Aruna Quadri Is Africa’s Table Tennis Best, Ranks 21 Globally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 09, 2017
Aruna Quadri has won the men’s singles event of the ITTF Challenge Polish Open.

The Nigerian defeated Japan’s Kaii Yoshida after six sets (11-7, 11-13 11-8, 6-11, 11-8, 14-12) to become the first African to win an ITTF title outside the continent.

The match against the Japanese lived up to expectation as both players tested each other strength-for-strength and skill-for-skill but it was the Nigerian who had the last laugh.

Although Quadri’s opponent enjoyed support from the home fans — as he plies his trade in the Polish league — the number one seed for the tournament emerged the victor.

Prior to beating the Japanese in the final, Quadri had defeated Kazakhstan’s Kirill Gerassimenko (11-5, 8-11, 11-8, 11-6, 7-11, 11-6) in the semi-final stage of the competition.

Prior to beating the Japanese in the final, Quadri had defeated Kazakhstan’s Kirill Gerassimenko (11-5, 8-11, 11-8, 11-6, 7-11, 11-6) in the semi-final stage of the competition.

In the women’s singles event, it was an all-Japanese affair as ITTF World Cup defending champion Mima Ito defeated her compatriot Saki Shibata to emerge as the winner.

Quadri is among the top 20 players in the world that will compete at the prestigious ITTF World Cup in Liege, Belgium from October 20 to 22.

Lalasticlala

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecable.ng/aruna-quadri-wins-polish-open/amp

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Tolexander: 12:47pm On Oct 09, 2017
Good!

Kudos to the Oyo town born Quadri.
We are proud of you for making Nigerians proud.

Olympic Gold shall be yours in the next summer Olympics.

A very good replacement for the aged Segun Toriola.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Omofunaab2: 12:59pm On Oct 09, 2017
So proud of Aruna Quadri, He made history at the 2016 Rio Olympics by becoming the first African to reach the Quarter finals of the table tennis single event. . He is currently ranked number one in Africa and he will represent Africa at the ITTF World Cup in France

Yorubas are the Masters when it comes to table tennis in Nigeria and Africa at large... Only the Egyptians are competing with us... Many of our Athletes have represented Nigeria in the Olympic games and won many laurels for Nigeria both at the common wealth and the All African games.

From the legend Segun Toriola, bode abiodun, bose kaffo, our own
Monday Merotohun from Ogun state, Olufunke Oshonaike, Atanda Musa, kareem nasiru, Sule olaleye, Abiola odumosu and others.

I like the fact that we have young talents who will replace Aruna Quadri and funke Oshonaike.. The likes of Esther oribamise and Azeez Solanke are both tipped to do that.

Esther oribamise has qualified for next year's junior Olympics in Argentina, azeez lost in the semi final

Out of the ten players selected to represent Nigeria at the Africa junior table tennis championship in Tunisia, eight were yorubas

We have so many Table Tennis tournaments here in the West

We love Table Tennis in the West.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Fidelismaria: 1:03pm On Oct 09, 2017
undecided

I wonder when Dis pple go win better gold
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by AreaFada2: 1:15pm On Oct 09, 2017
Nice one. Very good.

1 Like

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Teewhy2: 1:15pm On Oct 09, 2017
congratulations, keep make us proud.
Nigerians are very intelligent successful people when they have the right resources and conditions.

Considering doing a roof parapet?
check out price comparison between a concrete cast in suite against polystyrene parapet.
Polystyrene parapet is light weight and doesn't have much impact on the land.
excellent usage on swampy environment.
click below for more details.

https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene/4

1 Like

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 09, 2017
ok
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by IPOBrep: 1:17pm On Oct 09, 2017
Tolexander:
Good!

sad sad sad sad
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by oviejnr(m): 1:18pm On Oct 09, 2017
Ever wonder how they see the tennis ball when playing, rarely see the ball grin

2 Likes

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by bamdly(m): 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2017
AINA ARUNA Hmm well done
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Tolexander: 1:21pm On Oct 09, 2017
IPOBrep:

sad sad sad sad

Wetin do you?

Won so pa o ni?

9 Likes

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Franco2017(m): 1:22pm On Oct 09, 2017
u
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by phoenixchap: 1:22pm On Oct 09, 2017
This would also give some people niggtmares tongue but I can see someone playing tribalism above (I hate to quote Shit) as if he's representing some certain set of people lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by free2ryhme: 1:24pm On Oct 09, 2017
Tolexander:
Good!

It shall be his, oya carry give am nah
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Florblu(f): 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2017
Atleast a good thing is said about men in a long time aside the time they won the qualifier match played yesterday.
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Sunkyphil(m): 1:29pm On Oct 09, 2017
nice one we are getting there
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Afam4eva(m): 1:30pm On Oct 09, 2017
I'll like to see a match between Aruna Quadri and Segun Toriola.

Table Tennis is something i can die for.

1 Like

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by dealslip(f): 1:41pm On Oct 09, 2017
Afam4eva:
I'll like to see a match between Aruna Quadri and Segun Toriola.

Table Tennis is something i can die for.

That would be fantastic and tough at the same time. Both are experienced and very fast.
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by naptu2: 1:41pm On Oct 09, 2017
Omofunaab2:
So proud of Aruna Quadri, He made history at the 2016 Rio Olympics by becoming the first African to reach the Quarter finals of the table tennis single event. . He is currently ranked number one in Africa and he will represent Africa at the ITTF World Cup in France

Yorubas are the Masters when it comes to table tennis in Nigeria and Africa at large... Only the Egyptians are competing with us... Many of our Athletes have represented Nigeria in the Olympic games and won many laurels for Nigeria both at the common wealth and the All African games.

Monday Merotohun from Ogun state, Olufunke Oshonaike, Atanda Musa, kareem nasiru, Sule olaleye, Abiola odumosu and others.

I like the fact that we have young talents who will replace Aruna Quadri and funke Oshonaike.. The likes of Esther oribamise and Azeez Solanke are both tipped to do that.

Esther oribamise has qualified for next year's junior Olympics in Argentina, azeez lost in the semi final

Out of the ten players selected to represent Nigeria at the Africa junior table tennis championship in Tunisia, eight were yorubas

It's good to see that we have good young players that can replace them. There was a time that I was afraid that we would lose our crown as the best table tennis playing country in Africa because I couldn't see enough young players coming through. I'm glad to see that I was wrong. I wrote this back then.

naptu2:
Nigeria has dominated the table tennis scene in Africa for a very long time, but I fear that we are about to totally lose our crown and what happened in athletics after the year 2000 is about to happen in table tennis.

We currently have Aruna Quadri, who was declared the star of 2014 by the International Table Tennis Federation, but we have nobody else challenging him. In the past, when we had the great Atanda Musa, there was also a Yomi Bankole to keep him on his toes. When we had Sule Olaleye, there was also a Segun Toriola, but now, all we have is Aruna Quadri.

This is a far cry from the past when there were all Nigeria finals at the African Championships and All Africa Games and we won several Commonwealth titles (Atanda Musa and Segun Toriola).

It's worse in the women's section. Cecilia Effiong is good, but I do not think that she is nearly as good as the Funke Oshonaike, Bose Kaffo, Kuburat Owolabi, Kehinde Okenla and Olawunmi Majekodunmi that we had in the past. And there's no one else besides her.

The Asoju Oba of Lagos, Chief Molade Okoya-Thomas played a massive role in the development of table tennis in Nigeria. The Asoju Oba table tennis championships, which was created and funded by Chief Okoya-Thomas, was the biggest table tennis tournament in Nigeria. All the big names in table tennis in Nigeria played at the tournament. The prize money was mouth watering and Atanda Musa famously beat Yomi Bankole in the 1984 edition to win a Peugeot 504 (Chief Okoya-Thomas always had close links with french companies. Hewas the chairman of CFAO Nigeria, which had a division [CFAO Motors] that sold Peugeot cars. He was also awarded the highest national honour by the french president). Old Man collaborated with Chief Okoya-Thomas on the Asoju Oba competition (I still have a picture of both of them, that was taken at one of the tournaments, but I'm not sure what year), which probably explains why he was at Old Man's funeral. Chief Okoya-Thomas ran that competition for almost 40 years.

Chief Okoya Thomas was also heavily involved in tennis. He sponsored the Lord Rumens Tennis Classics after the death of Lord Rumens, was the vice chairman of the LLTC and was involved in bringing Venus and Serena Williams to Nigeria in 2012.

Unfortunately Chief Okoya-Thomas died in 2015. The Lagos State Government has promised to continue funding the Asoju Oba tournament, but I don't think that will last. I expect that the tournament will also die very soon.

Another person that greatly developed the game in Nigeria is Babatunde Obisanya. This former national team player became the greatest coach Nigeria has ever had and he coached great stars like Atanda Musa, Kasali Lasisi, Ayo Bankole, Segun Toriola, etc.

List of African table tennis champions.
MEN
TORIOLA Segun NGR (champion)

WOMEN

MEN

WOMEN

MEN

MEROTOHUN M. NGR (runner up)

WOMEN
OSHONAIKE Olufunke  NGR (champion)

OFFIONG Cecilia Otu NGR (runner up)

MEN
SALEH Ahmed  EGY (champion)

LASHIN El-Sayed  EGY (runner up)

WOMEN
EL-ALFY Shahira  EGY

NEBIYAT Ahmed  ETH

MEN
TORIOLA Segun  NGR (champion)

LASHIN El-Sayed  EGY (runner up)

WOMEN
KAFFO Bose NGR (champion)

OWOH Atisi  NGR (runner up)

MEN
KAZEEM Nosiru  NGR (champion)

SOBHY Ashraf  EGY (runner up)

WOMEN
OWOPETU Bimbo  NGR (champion)

BOUAZIZ Nacera  ALG (runner up)

MEN
OLALEYE Sule  NGR (champion)

TORIOLA Segun  NGR (runner up)

WOMEN

KAFFO Bose  NGR (champion)

MESHREF Nihal  EGY (runner up)

MEN
HELMY Ashraf  EGY (champion)

TORIOLA Segun  NGR (runner up)

WOMEN

OSHONAIKE Olufunke  NGR (champion)

ODUMOSU Abiola NGR (runner up)

MEN
MASSAAD Adel  EGY (champion)

MUSA Atanda  NGR (runner up)

WOMEN
KAFFO Bose NGR

MAJEKODUNMI O. NGR

MEN
MUSA Atanda  NGR (champion)

OMOTARA Titus  NGR (runner up)

WOMEN
OWOLABI ADUKE K.NGR (champion)

KAFFO Bose Olateju  NGR (runner up)

MEN
MUSA Atanda  NGR (champion)

BANKOLE Yomi  NGR (runner up)

WOMEN
MAJEKODUNMI O. NGR (champion) 

OWOLABI ADUKE K. NGR (runner up)

MEN
EBOH Sunday  NGR (champion)

MUSA Atanda  NGR (runner up)

WOMEN
LAMPTEY Esther  GHA (champion)

MAJEKODUNMI O. NGR (runner up)

MEN
LASISI Kasali  NGR (champion)

AYINDE Fatai  NGR (runner up)

WOMEN
MAJEKODUNMI O. NGR (champion)

JACKS Ethel  GHA (runner up)

MEN
EL-KABBANI Farouk EGY (champion)

SUNMOLA Lateef  NGR (runner up)

WOMEN
JACKS Ethel  GHA (champion)

MAJEKODUNMI O. NGR (runner up)

MEN
QUAYE Emmanuel GHA (champion)

WILSON Lassey  NGR (runner up)

WOMEN

EL-DARWISH Inas EGY (runner up)

MEN
EZZ GALAL Fahmi EGY (champion)

EL-ABRASHY Fawzi  EGY (runner up)

WOMEN

AKUETTEH Ernestina  GHA (runner up)

MEN
QUAYE E. GHA (champion)

EL-ABRASHY Fawzi  EGY (runner up)

WOMEN
EL-DARWISH Inas EGY (champion)

JACKS Ethel  GHA (runner up)

10 Likes

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by paradigmshift(m): 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2017
congratulations to you my best guy. e pain me say you be Nigerian sha because dem no value wetin dem get, Na only you they sponsor yourself in most things. keep doing you bro . i respect you a lot.

1 Like

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by nnokwa042(m): 2:08pm On Oct 09, 2017
Tolexander:
Good!

there he will meet Chinese player's is like eyimba of aba meeting Barcelona undecided[sub][ tongue
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 09, 2017
nnokwa042:
there he will meet Chinese player's is like eyimba of aba meeting Barcelona undecided[sub][ tongue
bros abeg he did well.

the Japanese aren't that far behind the Chinese
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by aribisala0(m): 3:41pm On Oct 09, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Quiet!
Do you want to provoke Shinidu

2 Likes

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Afam4eva(m): 3:46pm On Oct 09, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Without trying to downplay the emboldened, as far as i know, other parts of Nigeria are not really into table tennis, especially professionally. So, it's really not a competition as mostly Yorubas, who tend to be rounded in their knowledge of sports are really into playing tennis professionally. It's just like how you compare a Yoruba and Igbo party without realizing that it's not a contest as Yorubas are party people. The best tennis players i have encountered personally in Lagos are Yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Rekyz(m): 3:53pm On Oct 09, 2017
Tolexander:
Good!

Quadri is Cross Riverian! Mr name checker
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Tolexander: 3:57pm On Oct 09, 2017
Rekyz:
Quadri is Cross Riverian! Mr name checker
You don't know what you are posting!

No be only Cross River, Na Cross Ocean!

5 Likes

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by AlwaysUltraPad: 4:05pm On Oct 09, 2017
God thank u.

Na afonja

1 Like

Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by kayyat(f): 4:08pm On Oct 09, 2017
He won the title with no coach! that's a nice feat.
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by newslifeop: 4:30pm On Oct 09, 2017
Ok
Re: Aruna Quadri Wins Tennis Competition In Poland by Omofunaab2: 4:40pm On Oct 09, 2017
naptu2:

It's good to see that we have good young players that can replace them. There was a time that I was afraid that we would lose our crown as the best table tennis playing country in Africa because I couldn't see enough young players coming through. I'm glad to see that I was wrong. I wrote this back then.

Spot on, Egbon Naptu2, Esther Oribamise and Azeez Solanke are the future of Table Tennis in Nigeria.

What these lads need is exposure at the International level.... They were expected to participate at the Africa junior table tennis championship in Tunisia but didn't eventually go due to paucity of funds

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ajibade, Kanu, Oshoala Nominated For CAF Women’s Player Of The Year Award / Help..what Is The Meaning Of 10 Minute Draw In Sport Betting / Calabar Is Safe For 2014 World Cup Qualifier - Malawi FA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.