Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,218 members, 7,780,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:46 PM

Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms (5096 Views)

The Message University Of Liverpool Issued To Students Masturbating In Toilets / The Current State Of Toilets In UNICAL Hostels / Mary Edema Builds 2 Toilets For N36M In Delta State College Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by BaesDiary: 5:35pm On Oct 09, 2017
Do people actually rest in the toilets? So, why are toilets called restrooms?

Would you be comfortable in a public to say that you want to defecate or even urinate? The answer is obviously a NO!

Have you heard of euphemism? Euphemism is a mild, indirect, or vague expression for words or expressions thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt. For example,  “To pass away” is a euphemism for “to die.”

Restroom, washroom, and bathroom are euphemisms to disguise the fact that you want to 'poo' or 'piss'. In public places, these rooms do not have baths, so we say restroom or washroom.

Another euphemism for the toilets could be 'ladies' or 'gents'. Actually, at a time, rooms were dedicated for ladies to adjust their corsets in public places, hence they were called restrooms.

So, now you know the reasons toilets are called restrooms..... EUPHEMISM!

This post first appeared on this blog - Bae's Diary!

Source: http://www.baesdiary.com.ng/2017/10/want-to-know-why-toilets-are-called.html#more

Cc: Seun
Lalasticlala

Kindly help move it to the right section as well, thanks.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by seunadeolu(m): 9:02pm On Oct 09, 2017
To some ladies, its now known as the selfie-room grin shocked

13 Likes

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by Prefola: 9:07pm On Oct 09, 2017
Wow...educative tho.. learnt 4rm dis..tanx op

1 Like

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by ElRapido: 10:43pm On Oct 09, 2017
Shebi this is better blogger now I can click on your link since u posted a complete and meaningful article

Op I wanted to comment on one of your articles on your blog but it was saying CAPTCHA sort of thing to prove am not a robot and am using Opera mini so I couldn't comment

3 Likes

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by prynsex(m): 11:45pm On Oct 09, 2017
some "shit" will just be doing "kri pa ta poom shi pkre ke te"

1 Like

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by dan9ice(m): 12:53am On Oct 10, 2017
Toilet is the best place to think oooo. Op when shitting, man go rest na, thay's its call rest room

2 Likes

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by ferdvict2(m): 3:52am On Oct 10, 2017
BaesDiary:

Would you be comfortable in a public to say that you want to defecate or even urinate? The answer is obviously a NO!

Have you heard of euphemism? Euphemism is a mild, indirect, or vague expression for words or expressions thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt. For example,  “To pass away” is a euphemism for “to die.”

Restroom, washroom, and bathroom are euphemisms to disguise the fact that you want to 'poo' or 'piss'. In public places, these rooms do not have baths, so we say restroom or washroom.

Another euphemism for the toilets could be 'ladies' or 'gents'. Actually, at a time, rooms were dedicated for ladies to adjust their corsets in public places, hence they were called restrooms.

Source: http://www.baesdiary.com.ng/2017/10/want-to-know-why-toilets-are-called.html#more

Lalasticlala

Where are are the scholars in Nairaland. pls verify
Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by Nbote(m): 7:26am On Oct 10, 2017
OP u are not completely right as ur research is rather incomplete. Toilet is itself a simple Euphemism used in place of defecating or taking a shit or a shithouse. It's from a French word meaning "getting ready"

Every other word used now varies from country to country as there's no generally accepted name.

A restroom is actually a public toilet which contains urinals nd a group of toilets as contained in restaurants, shopping malls and other public places.

So Toilet, Johns, Gents, Loo, lavatory, are all euphemisms dat have been used to replace shithouse or shitting.

Poster below me is dumb

7 Likes

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by Swaggzkid: 8:19am On Oct 10, 2017
Poster above claims to knw everything! Nigerians ehn.

2 Likes

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by Nobody: 10:58am On Oct 10, 2017
Two posters above me; first one,ITK. Second one, verified MUGU..
Good one op

3 Likes

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by Fidelismaria: 11:16am On Oct 10, 2017
nawa ooo
I no know wetin concern poster above me with the quarrels of posters above him

2 Likes

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by Fidelismaria: 11:16am On Oct 10, 2017
nawa ooo
I no know wetin concern poster above me with the quarrels of posters above him
Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by moscobabs(m): 11:27am On Oct 10, 2017
BaesDiary:

Lalasticlala

Op so why is sitting room called living room

1 Like

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by dotunbekro06(m): 11:47am On Oct 10, 2017
The last 4 posters above me...
Make una come make we play

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by Eshiet12(m): 12:21pm On Oct 10, 2017
This is quit educating
Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by FolaRocks: 12:27pm On Oct 10, 2017
I told someone I needed directions to the "RestRoom" and she directed me to the Restaurant SMH.
Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by hoover420: 12:29pm On Oct 10, 2017
Quite educating I must confess
Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 10, 2017
dotunbekro06:
The last 4 posters above me... Make una come make we play
four-Man Chord I guess.....

1 Like

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 10, 2017
dotunbekro06:
The last 4 posters above me... Make una come make we play
four-Man Chord I guess.....

1 Like

Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by africvibe: 12:57pm On Oct 10, 2017
PHYSICALLY DISABLED NIGERIAN WOMAN WEDS HER HUBBY IN STYLE (PHOTOS)
https://kpnaija..com.ng/2017/10/physically-disabled-nigerian-woman-weds.html
Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by BaesDiary: 2:56pm On Oct 10, 2017
ElRapido:
Shebi this is better blogger now I can click on your link since u posted a complete and meaningful article

Op I wanted to comment on one of your articles on your blog but it was saying CAPTCHA sort of thing to prove am not a robot and am using Opera mini so I couldn't comment

Thanks..will check and fix the CAPTCHA issue. I appreciate you once again.
Re: Here's The Reason Toilets Are Called Restrooms by mrdynamiconline: 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2017
Watch this amazing motivational video Here.

(1) (Reply)

Which Course Can I Do With Dis Result?? Please Need Answers.. / Cut Off Marks Into Federal Govt. Colleges For All States In Nigeria. / His CGPA Is 1.14 After Two Years, PLEASE ADVICE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.