Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,406 members, 7,808,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. (4062 Views)

The 10 Best Nigerian Albums Of 2015 / Most Highly Anticipated Albums Of 2016 / Your Top 5 Nigerian Albums Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by eldee(m): 7:54pm On Mar 09, 2010
1. Drake - Thank Me Later
For a rookie in the game, he needs no introduction at all. How many rookies get to work with Timberland, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Eminem, Kanye West and Mary J Blige before their first album??
He's got a list of performances that even stars would wish for. . . He says it himself, with so much hype he 'could sell a blank disc'.
Thank Me Later's first single might be on shaky grounds with audiences but his CV tells us we can still keep our fingers crossed on this one.

What to expect?? A Kanye-ish delivery of personal rap tunes with Drake going into head-on battles against great artistes. . . his themes will probably centre on a halfway egoistic and halfway grateful narrative of his life since he chose rap as a career.

Tasters: Best I Ever Heard, Forever, Over, So Far Gone, Heartbreak Drake Series . . .

2. Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives

If there was any justice in the world, we would not have to wait six whole months from the original release date to listen to what could be the best crossover album since Jay-Z and Linkin Park's Collision Course. Nas' cred cannot be doubted, he's been consecutively nominated in the last three Grammys. His discography boasts of what many people have described as the 'best fifty minutes in hiphop history' Illmaticcheesy cheesy
Alright, we've come to accept that we will never get another Illmatic but we all saw how good the last mash-up between God son and the Son of Legend was. smiley Road To Zion was as good as these collabos go.

What to expect: A descriptive torch being placed on Africa, the Black Man and a head-on war against neo-colonialism and capitalism. If you loved Welcome To Jamrock and Troubador, you'll love this. Nas Vs Damian Marley sprinkled with Stevie Wonder, K'naan and Joss Stone . . . say no more.

Tasters: Road To Zion, K'naan's Africa, As We Enter.

3. Lupe Fiasco - Lazers

While artistes like Drake are giving full EPs on free downloads, the self-acclaimed Coolest nigga went so uncool when he went into a rant about on leak off this album. Lupe's one artistes that has managed to cut through genre divides. Jay-Z even admitted to stealing his live-band concept in concerts. His previous attempts have been critically acclaimed, so there's no question about his ability.

What To Expect?? More stars, comets and spaceships. grin grin
Aight . . . maybe not that but he's got this way of trying to appeal to a certain sect of people. His delivery is always on point though and a true fan of modern hiphop will know how eclectic he can go.

Tasters: The Coolest, I'm Beaming, Enemy of The State (Mixtape)

4. J. Cole - To Be Announced

What can we say about J.Cole?? Erm well . . . he's not done much, in three years, he only killed Jay-Z on his own sh[i]i[/i]t, killed Wale on his own sh[i]i[/i]t, flexed lyrical muscle with Talib Kweli, appeared on XXL's Leaders off the New School and released a mixtape that many critics have described as one of the best albums of the last decade. cheesy cheesy
This is not bad considering the fact that the only J. Cole most people knew three years ago was popular for his high paced football stepovers.
The College Boy shows no signs of slowing down with tours all around the US and more collabos. If this album is anything like The Come Up then the contention for Album of the Decade might be coming a bit early.

What To Expect?? Realistic all-american stories of a college boy . . . women, being broke, being rich. Expect lyrical showboating in some parts of the album like he did on his mixtapes and flow that could put the River Thames to shame. He's quite smart to so watch out for punchlines that are made from everyday words like . . . 'have your daddy looking for you. . .this ain't finding Nemo though'  grin grin

Tasters: A Star Is Borne, The Come Up, The Warm Up.

5. Pill - To Be Announced

Like J. Cole, he's an XXL Freshman to, also, like J. Cole, he's from the South of USA, he may not have a honour roll degree qualification but he's a genius too. Coming from Atlanta, he's got the burden of carrying the name already placed forward by the likes of Outkast and Ludacris.
With a few mixtapes to his name . . . we all know we will not be disappointed on this one. Pill's never-been-done-before narratives could help to bring back clever gangsta hiphop to where it used to be.

What To Expect: More street stories, a reflective exposition of life on Atlanta's street corners in a stream of lyrical showboating. His straight to the point lyrics will probably not ensure commercial success but they'll sure take you back to those days when you used to play Ice Cube in the car so loud in residential areas. . . just because you wanted to grin grin

Tasters: 4180 The Prescription, 4075 The Refill (mixtapes)
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by audio: 11:42am On Mar 10, 2010
Eldee, good post. Thanks for putting me on to J Cole. Good lyricist, good image. He should blow. Notice how he actually flows with the rhyme. Not punchline olympics like our naija copycats do.
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by ofokaofoki: 12:19pm On Mar 10, 2010
eldee what about naija hiphop albums? thats what i wanna see an eldee do !
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by DBR: 1:00pm On Mar 10, 2010
Nice run down, Eldee.
And yea a 9ja flip wont be a bad idea.
Cos it seems loads of aqlbum will be droppin
in d nxt few months.

oNe
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by ofokaofoki: 1:51pm On Mar 10, 2010
DBR:

Nice run down, Eldee.
in d nxt few months.

oNe
word !, by popular demand eldee i request for a naija version of this thread. abi u don abandon ur motherland.
omo jati jati. grin
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by aieromon(m): 2:15pm On Mar 10, 2010
I entered this thread expectin' to see the most anticipated Naija hiphop albums of 2010.

Anyways,at the rate Drake is goin',he may end up like M.I.M.S.

I'm just saying lipsrsealed
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by hevysomtin(m): 2:33pm On Mar 10, 2010
@OP who cares about yankee hip-hop/rap nowadays. abeg give us naija gist jor! grin
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by ofokaofoki: 2:44pm On Mar 10, 2010
hevysomtin:

@OP who cares about yankee hip-hop/rap nowadays. abeg give us naija gist jor! grin
REAL TALK
aieromon:

I entered this thread expectin' to see the most anticipated Naija hiphop albums of 2010.
REAL TALK, ELDEE LIKE I TOLD U , WE WILL DISOWN U IF U DONT GIVE US NAIJA. DRAKE IS DREAKE, NAIJA IS NAIJA.
ITS NAIJA. grin
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by eldee(m): 2:58pm On Mar 10, 2010
audio:

Eldee, good post. Thanks for putting me on to J Cole. Good lyricist, good image. He should blow. Notice how he actually flows with the rhyme. Not punchline olympics like our naija copycats do.

Thanks man . . . You should get his two mixtapes, they're next level.
His flow reminds me of those days when we used to rap along to songs without knowing what the words meant. grin
I sent them to FL Gators, so they're already in my email, I could send em to you too if you want.

Have you got any other albums you're waiting for . . . you should add em.

DBR:

Nice run down, Eldee.
in d nxt few months.

oNe
I don't really know the most anticipated Nigerian hiphop albums for 2010. . . they get really secretive about release dates.
I'll try though . . .
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by ofokaofoki: 3:44pm On Mar 10, 2010
eldee i want j-cole mistapes too now? send am to me .now abi u wan revenge? grin
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by Krayola(m): 3:49pm On Mar 10, 2010
Eldee I no see Krayola name for there. Which kind fake publicist u be sef?  angry pscchheeww!!

Somebody shoot this guy  grin
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by ofokaofoki: 3:59pm On Mar 10, 2010
ELDEE IS A RACIST grin
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by eldee(m): 8:59pm On Mar 10, 2010
Krayola:

Eldee I no see Krayola name for there. Which kind fake publicist u be sef?  angry pscchheeww!!

Somebody shoot this guy  grin

Hehehe . . . you na Fingers Crossed Part II Exclusive . . . Wash Out!!!
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by bgees(m): 10:53pm On Mar 10, 2010
Rhymefest - El Che.
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by eldee(m): 11:14pm On Mar 10, 2010
bgees:

Rhymefest - El Che.

Is he releasing under Kanye's label??
I know he had label problems a while back.
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by bgees(m): 11:16pm On Mar 10, 2010
eldee:

Is he releasing under Kanye's label??
I know he had label problems a while back.

I think its going to be on a different label.
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by harakiri(m): 12:29am On Mar 11, 2010
Rebirth. . .by Lil Wayne.

Listen to "drop the world" right now.

Sick lyrics!
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by DBR: 8:19am On Mar 11, 2010
The 2 J.Cole mixtape are tite.
Prefer the Warm Up tho~~
but i just have this feelin that the album may not be as dope.
No logical reason for it, just a feelin.

Eldee[i]gy[/i], wats ur take on D.Julien, i think that boy is dope.,
Dunno y he's so slept on undecided

oNe
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by obinna5000(m): 8:57am On Mar 11, 2010
I just heard this new song "Lean" from Lupe Fiasco. Maybe its a single from his upcoming album "Lasers".

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn2Xk8exV6E[/flash]
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by phatwall: 9:31am On Mar 11, 2010
i think NIKI MINAJ's album should be in dat list too
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by audio: 9:31am On Mar 11, 2010
DBR:

The 2 J.Cole mixtape are tite.
Prefer the Warm Up tho~~
but i just have this feelin that the album may not be as dope.
No logical reason for it, just a feelin.

Eldee[i]gy[/i], wats your take on D.Julien, i think that boy is dope.,
Dunno y he's so slept on undecided

oNe

In my opinion, it's the same affliction that hits a lot of hot street rappers. Commercial rap is very different to battle rap or punchline freestlyes. you need to make a SONG. Something commercial, cross demographic and catchy. A lot of rappers have no idea how to do that. So while everybody will be shouting in the blogs " he killed that guy, he killed this guy", the money men know he's not signable cause he doesn't have what it takes to be AN ARTIST.
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by DBR: 9:58am On Mar 11, 2010
audio:

In my opinion, it's the same affliction that hits a lot of hot street rappers. Commercial rap is very different to battle rap or punchline freestlyes. you need to make a SONG. Something commercial, cross demographic and catchy. A lot of rappers have no idea how to do that. So while everybody will be shouting in the blogs " he killed that guy, he killed this guy", the money men know he's not signable cause he doesn't have what it takes to be AN ARTIST.
I get wtya sayin dude.
But it dont apply to DJulien.
I can say the guy is a true artist.
Dunno if u'v heard his mixtapes.
He's not bout throwin punchlines and battle rap kinda thing.
Havin listened to 4 solid mxtape from this dude, i can vouch for him.
J.Cole's mixtape got him signed up, and D.Julien's tops J,Cole's~~IMO
they're almost at par, but there's sth i find special bout D.Julien.

J.Cole aint overtly commercial, same goes for D.julien.
Listen to The Experiment, Introduction, Love Live Learn, and Get Familiar.
This are dope collections that shud get ceos hollarin at d dude.

oNe
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by ofokaofoki: 10:05am On Mar 11, 2010
dBR:

Eldeegy, wats your take on D.Julien

DBR THE WAY U SUCCCK UP TO ELDEE SORRY ELDEEGY (LMFAO) BAFFLES ME , U PROLLY THINK ELDEE IS THE REAL ELDEE THE DON , NAIRALAND ELDEE IS FAKE .HE IS A DISH WASHER IN LONDON , DO NOT BE FOOLED. DBR grin grin
I NOTICED THE WAY U SUUUCK UP TO HIM LIKE A NEW BORN EVERYTIME. grin
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by abdurrazaq(m): 10:32am On Mar 11, 2010
The R.E.D Album by Game. Though this has suffered a lot shift in date but, I think it might just worth the wait when it finally hit the shelf
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by Rhymstein(m): 10:38am On Mar 11, 2010
@audio
J.cole punchlines,listen attentively
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by HJ1(m): 10:49am On Mar 11, 2010
yo DBR, pls help me with a link to any mixtape from D. Julien . . . . .a torrent link might be more useful . . thansk bro . .
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by DBR: 11:07am On Mar 11, 2010
H.J:

yo DBR, pls help me with a link to any mixtape from D. Julien . . . .  .a torrent link might be more useful . . thansk bro . .
H.J[i]izzle[/i]
dunno bout all this link this link that, it exposes ma "uninformedness".
But can i attach the zip file in an email? Worried bout size tho.

oNe
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by HJ1(m): 11:25am On Mar 11, 2010
DBR:

H.J[i]izzle[/i]
dunno bout all this link this link that, it exposes ma "uninformedness".
But can i attach the zip file in an email? Worried bout size tho.

oNe

if u downloaded the mixtape from d net then, the web address that u used is the download link but if u copped the mixtape from a CD store then a download link is unnecessary??  . . . pls if can put it in a zip folder or .rar folder and send it my mail, i'l forever be grateful to u . . the mail again is everlyhilary_in@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by eldee(m): 11:28am On Mar 11, 2010
@DBR

I think he's on the same level as J.Cole . . . bt J.Cole is just one lucky bast[i]a[/i]rd.
The difference is, J.Cole will improve under Jay-Z's tutelage.
I really don't know why he never got the online buzz that helped to sell J.Cole, Wale and Drake to the CEOs.

I have his Live, Love Learn mixtape . . . [i]Absolute Perfection [/i]should be sent to all emcees to learn how to drop bars on a good beat.
The guy's 'lyrically abusive' . . .  I never knew his album was coming out this year.

I like how you handled Ofoka . . . it took me a whole year to learn how to use the 'ignore' button on NL. grin grin

@Rhymestein
That's exactly what makes J. Cole good.
He can serve both ends of the population. . . people that don't pay attention miss the punchlines but love his delivery and musical genius.
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by audio: 11:37am On Mar 11, 2010
Rhymstein:

@audio
J.cole punchlines,listen attentively

I never said he didn't. But he uses them for effect and to enhance the storyline of the song, not just one after the other after the other.
For everyone requesting download links to the mixtapes, i'll locate and post. Never fear
Re: Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. by HJ1(m): 11:39am On Mar 11, 2010
@eldee, if u also have a means of helpin me out (alongside DBR) wit the mixtape , either a torrent link or any other means . . . wud really appreciate. . . .  thanks . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tell Us What Your Favorite Song, Band And Genre Are! / Was Faze Truly Signed On To Konvict Music? – Akon Speaks / Video: Wizkid On The Juice With Toolz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.