Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,405 members, 7,800,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (547779 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by adeolabilkis002: 5:37pm On Oct 27, 2017
[quote author=tyosho post=61807458]On culture shocks-
Calling everyone by name did not come so much as a surprise because i worked in an industry that encouraged that in Nigeria.
What however shocked me is how people here feel so comfortable with a habit like smoking.Almost everyone in my office smokes and they do not seem to think anything is bad with it.People call their ogas to go with them outside for smokes.Man o,woman o,team leader o,manager o,new recruit o,everybody go gather smoke the smoke grin.

Unlike back home where smoking is seen as a vice for miscreants and irresponsible people,here the most intelligent and brightest people smoke and its not a sign of bad character or a character flaw.Makes me wonder whether we have priorities misplaced at home.

Another thing here is its normal for colleagues to invite you out for drinks(you pay for yourself of course).Fridays,weekends,start of training,end of training,promotion,etc etc, na drinks bar e dey end.

My friend who i met here told me its not a bad idea to go along with them once in a while and i think so too.I went once and it was fun!!!.I do not smoke or drink but i had plenty fun all the same.

Another thing too is they like to talk a loooooot.MY gawd!!!!!
How are you is met with a lenghty response of how last night went,what happened on the train,what happened outside the office so so so.
How was your weekend nko?Looong story too grin.

At first it was strange for me because when they say "ty how are you",im like "fine" and they have this look of "is that all?",some will even be like "just fine?"" why just fine ?" and in my mind im like "what else again ooo?".

But now me too don dey cram stories give them make i no carry last.

You are extremely funny

6 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by WIZGUY69(m): 5:57pm On Oct 27, 2017
bligs:

Highbrow for where? that place is more than 20km from the city, just a suburb.
Bourke Street, Melbourne CBD

Fvck it...
Heaven on earth.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by WIZGUY69(m): 5:58pm On Oct 27, 2017
tyosho:

It's not a highbrow area.Its just an area that's still been developed and like most other places here,is well maintained and clean
Then definitely... the suburb of Australia can be compared to the most developed areas in Africa . Jesu

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by WIZGUY69(m): 5:59pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mcslize:

Why will you be asking that kinda question bro if that's the most high brow area? Australia of all Australia?

Go to YouTube and watch Australia videos, that place is bloody clean. Too clean and they have nicer roads and surroundings. Go watch "Tony Solo Day Game Infield" to see the different areas in Melbourne. He moves from place to place all over Melbourne, so you can have a glimse of how nice the place look. I believe Australia top one of the most cleanest country in the world. So that place can't be the most high brow area. Same with New Zealand. They both have clean surroundings. Remember littering is illegal there.

Hmmm.. I so much love clean surroundings + nature...
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 10:34pm On Oct 27, 2017
sweetgal81:
My school is Flinders University at Adelaide

You will pay school fees. About $4500/year the last I know.

If you are coming on student visa, why not go to state that will be cheaper for you and one you can easily get a job to do.

Forget about South Australia. Of course, if God specifically asked you to choose SA, so be it.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 10:35pm On Oct 27, 2017
Tee79:

I am trying to get 20pts in English so it will be 189. If otherwise it will be 489. Agricultural consultant.

I think you should do everything possible to get 20 points from English. It is not worth coming with 489 to SA unless you have a lot of money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by salford1: 12:35am On Oct 28, 2017
WellEndowed:

Beautiful. Nice suburb for people looking to invest

Salford some suburbs are almost "spotless" cool are you sure you don't want to relocate? cheesy grin

Hmmm. I would like to visit someday, and I may fall in love with the Country. I love towns or cities that are green and clean cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tyosho: 3:55am On Oct 28, 2017
WIZGUY69:

Then definitely... the suburb of Australia can be compared to the most developed areas in Africa . Jesu

Where most nigerians that i have met live(even those of us that have been here less than a year) is the kind of house people that "have arrived" live in Nigeria.I pray we start helping ourselves back home.
Cars,good food,quality education,excellent medical service,efficient emergency response,going on vacations etc are not exclusive to the rich and mighty

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:35am On Oct 28, 2017
salford1:

Hmmm. I would like to visit someday, and I may fall in love with the Country. I love towns or cities that are green and clean cheesy

only visit? you no go apply for Aussie PR? lol

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tee79(f): 8:06am On Oct 28, 2017
[quote author=bellong post=61835567]

I think you should do everything possible to get 20 points from English. It is not worth coming with 489 to SA unless you have a lot of money.[/quote

What about NT? I wrote IELTS, I got 10 pts. I have written pte twice still 10 points. Thats why I am considering 489 visa.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 8:51am On Oct 28, 2017
[quote author=Tee79 post=61841417][/quote]

Northern Territory is better.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by gnykelly(m): 9:28am On Oct 28, 2017
Dear God I can't wait. I just need the finance to move God.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2017
Let me post a few pictures.

Someone has to represent Perth...

1 - What ever this thing is in Elizabeth Quay, Perth CBD.

2 - Elizabeth Quay

3 - Elizabeth Quay

4 - Perth Train station

8 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 12:23pm On Oct 28, 2017
1 - 4 - Views from Kings Park, Perth

8 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 12:29pm On Oct 28, 2017
1 - Typical view in a surburb (Beckenham)

2 - Park gym in Beckenham

3 and 4 - Beckenham Train Station

8 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 12:32pm On Oct 28, 2017
1 - Another suburb view...not sure which surburb but most likely Baldivis

2 - Picture from Perth Royal Show

3 - Shopping centre

6 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 28, 2017
Lol@represent Perth. Carry go. Baldivis is such a beautiful suburb. I remember the first time I visited. I couldn't decide which I liked better Morley or Baldivis

Honestly I think Perth suburbs are a lot "cleaner" than Melbourne's lipsrsealed

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 28, 2017
salford1:

How can you visit without tapping into the blessings of PR? grin Salford are you sure you are a Nigerian? grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 1:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
WellEndowed:

Honestly I think Perth suburbs are a lot "cleaner" than Melbourne's lipsrsealed

I have had opportunity to tour the two cities. Perth is cleaner in my opinion and assessment. I could be biased though.. cheesy
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tee79(f): 3:09pm On Oct 28, 2017
bellong:

Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by legendary4luv(m): 8:34pm On Oct 28, 2017
All I can say is "WOW" canny has always been my dream country but after going through this thread, you guys just make reconsider!AUSSIE ALL THE WAY!!!! Make I graduate next year sha by God's grace I go join Una soon! Thanks to everybody that contributed positively to this thread! It's one big happy fam

13 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Priceless25: 8:55pm On Oct 28, 2017
bellong:

It's where I'm heading to, with same visa subclass (489).

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by legendary4luv(m): 9:33pm On Oct 28, 2017
Priceless25:

Sorry to ask but I thought this visa is only meant for engr students?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 9:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
legendary4luv:

Sorry to ask but I thought this visa is only meant for engr students?

Go to the other thread to read more. It is not for Engineering students only.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 9:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
Priceless25:

It is better than South Australia at the moment.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by legendary4luv(m): 10:52pm On Oct 28, 2017
bellong:

Go to the other thread to read more. It is not for Engineering students only.

Ok sorry for derailing but someone mentioned that's it's just engr, I will learn from the other group. Thanks!
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:19am On Oct 29, 2017
My E-brother, @Bellong is a year older today!!!

Many people have passed through this life without touching any life. On the 29th of October, 19XX, a star was born into this world. A star who has made impact on the lives of many people.

On this special day, may you be blessed with love, joy and may God grant you all your heart desires.

As you add a year today, may you and your family be celebrated always. May you be blessed abundantly today, tomorrow and the days to come!

You are a star to other people, may you continue to shine brighter and brighter.

Happy Birthday to my wonderful and handsome E-brother, @Bellong. kiss kiss

Happy Birthday to you/2xce
Happy Birthday to you, Uncle Bellong
Happy Birthday to you.

26 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:26am On Oct 29, 2017
bellong:

I have had opportunity to tour the two cities. Perth is cleaner in my opinion and assessment. I could be biased though.. cheesy

No argument there. Perth is a lot cleaner.

Happy birthday Bellong

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:00am On Oct 29, 2017
[quote author=GlitteringStar post=61865442]My E-brother, @Bellong is a year older today!!!
As you add a year today, may you and your family be celebrated always. May you be blessed abundantly today, tomorrow and the days to come!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIR.God's blessings shall not cease in your life and family.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by yinkeys(m): 4:27am On Oct 29, 2017
bellong:

It is better than South Australia at the moment.
Hello bro, happy belated birthday. Hope your weekend is going fine.
I can't find petroleum or mining engineering which is my discipline on the Australia SSL list. In addition I've come up short with experience because it seems a minimum of 3 years is required. I'm thinking of a way to gain some experience on materials engineering in the oil & gas industry.
I saw chemical & materials engineering.
I do cut hair for fun occasionally though, but I'm actually looking to practice engineering or anything related to bioresources,energy research or alternate hydrocarbon sources over there.
I guess I'd take IELTS before the year folds up
Any suggestions or advice is of utmost importance to me.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by yinkeys(m): 4:41am On Oct 29, 2017
ideamaster:
1 - Typical view in a surburb (Beckenham)

2 - Park gym in Beckenham

3 and 4 - Beckenham Train Station

Serene environs
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by yinkeys(m): 5:50am On Oct 29, 2017
tyosho:
views from within and around my office
Super cool
I'm loving it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.