Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (121) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (548540 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Emmandu(f): 7:55pm On Nov 14, 2022
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tradinggiant: 10:03am On Nov 15, 2022
Abeg .. somebody should give me suburb view of Australia ..

God bless you in advance.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by patc: 3:43pm On Nov 15, 2022
I want to do my masters in any European countries and I need guide please.

Schooling and working please.

Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jamie1000: 5:14pm On Nov 15, 2022
mutico20:
Good dey guys, I need response from Pple presently living in Australia, I'm running a business here in Nigeria and making between 500k -600k monthly, I'm considering moving to Australia because my business is down for the past 3 month because of this fucking inflation in Nigeria and the cost of running my business has rise by 40% of my capital between 6month and this is a red flag for my business so I need to find alternative asap,

My question is ... How much can I save after tax and living expenses if I am earning 6000Aud in Australia I'm am newly married no child yet,but planning to give birth in Australia, then will be running my Nigeria business from Australia if I can make the capital from the job, I'm thinking of working overtime also because I am used to working overtime in Dubai where I worked 12hours everyday for 4years

Can you kindly give us an insight of the business you're doing, that is fetching you such huge amount of money. Please enlighten us and help others who are struggling

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 1:39am On Nov 16, 2022
Tradinggiant:

Suburb view? You have to be more specific (State, city etc) to get a better answer.
Australia is one big massive place.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 1:40am On Nov 16, 2022
patc:
I want to do my masters in any European countries and I need guide please.

Schooling and working please.

Thanks
This is "Living in Australia" thread you know?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Martiny(m): 6:27am On Nov 16, 2022
Hi all, I'm currently on a skilled worker Visa (Healthcare Worker Visa) in the UK since this June and my nomination for a 491 in South Australia has just been approved, yet to lodge the Visa. Please I'm wondering if it is really worth it leaving my current UK skilled worker Visa for the 491 Visa in Australia.

Please I really need to be properly guided.
Thank you all.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 6:51am On Nov 16, 2022
Martiny:
Hi all, I'm currently on a skilled worker Visa (Healthcare Worker Visa) in the UK since this June and my nomination for a 491 in South Australia has just been approved, yet to lodge the Visa. Please I'm wondering if it is really worth it leaving my current UK skilled worker Visa for the 491 Visa in Australia.

Please I really need to be properly guided.
Thank you all.
So to better "guide" you or provide better responses, you may want to be more specific in your questions or request.
e.g., what's your current family status, your take home pay, loans, mortgage if any? Lifestyle
Medical requirements, insurance policy, etc
It would be easier to compare what you already have with some you may likely get if you decide to move.

Hope that helps.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Martiny(m): 12:25pm On Nov 16, 2022
I'm married with 2kids, they just joined me in the UK 2weeks ago. Accommodation here is not easy so we still hunting, no loan, no mortgage, no medical requirements nor insurance policy yet. I work here as a Carer, the Visa however gives health insurance and free school for children, partner can also work.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Martiny(m): 3:03pm On Nov 16, 2022
I'm married with 2kids, they just joined me in the UK 2weeks ago. Accommodation here is not easy so we still hunting, no loan, no mortgage, no medical requirements nor insurance policy yet. I work here as a Carer, the Visa however gives health insurance and free school for children, partner can also work.
FBS:

So to better "guide" you or provide better responses, you may want to be more specific in your questions or request.
e.g., what's your current family status, your take home pay, loans, mortgage if any? Lifestyle
Medical requirements, insurance policy, etc
It would be easier to compare what you already have with some you may likely get if you decide to move.

Hope that helps.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Lushbaby: 4:41pm On Nov 17, 2022
Please � is there anyone coming to Sydney that can help me pick up my driver's license. Would really appreciate
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mutico20(m): 5:08pm On Nov 17, 2022
Omooloriredade:

There's no simple formula to work out what your savings after all expenses will be. Individual circumstances differ. Where you live, life style, savings habit etc will determine what you are left with before the next pay hits your account. Will your wife also work?

Anyway, on $6000 income expect to take home about $4700 after tax and Medicare levy. This sum assumes no additional tax refunds. I reckon you should be able to save $1800 - $2000 if you are the sole income earner. If your wife also works, then I'd like to know why you can't save $5000 - $6000 monthly.

Assumptions for a couple only
* Rent $400 per week for 2 bedroom in a suburb 40-60mins commute to the city.
* $400 per month on groceries except you have a large appetite like me.
* $400 per month on transport. PT assumed
* $100 per month on phone plan
* $100 per month on utilities. Could be slightly higher
* $100 per month on entertainment
* $50 on miscellaneous items.

Disclaimer - Please don't take my opinion as gospel and it shouldn't be used as the basis for your travel decisions.

Thanks you for this information, May God bless your hustle
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 1:37am On Nov 18, 2022
Martiny:

1. Accomodation has gone bananas in Australia generally so for a family of 4 expect to cough out at least $AUD500/week depending on the area
2. It seems the 491 visa subclass does provide medicare and public school education - though not sure if childcare is included. Probably not as childcare is ridiculously expensive in Australia.
3. Apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time your visa is granted​ - This may be the biggest plus.
4. The Carer thing is booming in Australia right now so finding a job should not be difficult at all.

imo the major challenges would be accomodation and school for the kids also depending on their ages, plus its a temporary visa (5 years). And also the fact that Australia is far from "everywhere" - if you are the type that likes to be around other family members or miss home all the time - better to stay where you are now and build your future.
Interstate travel within Australia is already a "luxury" not to talk of flying home to Naija every holiday. cheesy

Good things - Australia is indeed a beautiful place at least in terms of nature, space, organised system of government - no different from most western countries but certainly not without its issues.

More info on the 491 visa here

5 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mutico20(m): 1:35am On Nov 20, 2022
[quote author=Jamie1000 post=118417193]

Can you kindly give us an insight of the business you're doing, that is fetching you such huge amount of money. Please enlighten us and help others who are struggling[/quote lol,, this is travel tread , you can search on business tread to check on other good business, this business of mine is no go area for novices, you see me already planning to Japa again

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Thegamingorca(m): 4:53pm On Nov 20, 2022
KristaPretty:

Going through your diaries, I can say it is "supposed" to be an interesting read but your constant use of the word "sha" makes it really irritating to read so I'd pass

Cheers

Really annoying and juvenile.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Silentthinker(f): 9:33pm On Nov 21, 2022
FBS:

1. Accomodation has gone bananas in Australia generally so for a family of 4 expect to cough out at least $AUD500/week depending on the area
2. It seems the 491 visa subclass does provide medicare and public school education - though not sure if childcare is included. Probably not as childcare is ridiculously expensive in Australia.
3. Apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time your visa is granted​ - This may be the biggest plus.
4. The Carer thing is booming in Australia right now so finding a job should not be difficult at all.

imo the major challenges would be accomodation and school for the kids also depending on their ages, plus its a temporary visa (5 years). And also the fact that Australia is far from "everywhere" - if you are the type that likes to be around other family members or miss home all the time - better to stay where you are now and build your future.
Interstate travel within Australia is already a "luxury" not to talk of flying home to Naija every holiday. cheesy

Good things - Australia is indeed a beautiful place at least in terms of nature, space, organised system of government - no different from most western countries but certainly not without its issues.

More info on the 491 visa here
[quote author=mutico20 post=118470113]

Thanks you for this information, May God bless your

Hello,
Please I need your help in choosing where to live in Australia.I came in to the UK last year on a tier 2 visa as a registered nurse.I got a job in tasmania with 186 visa sponsorship.
My question are;
(1) Is tasmania a good place to live?
(2)what's the cost of living over there?
(3)Are schools free for children ?
(4)Hope non medical Jobs are easy to come by (for my husband) ?

Thanks as I await your response.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 1:42am On Nov 22, 2022
Silentthinker:
Hello,
Please I need your help in choosing where to live in Australia.I came in to the UK last year on a tier 2 visa as a registered nurse.I got a job in tasmania with 186 visa sponsorship.
My question are;
(1) Is tasmania a good place to live?

Thanks as I await your response.
1- Any city in Australia is a good place to live, it depends on what you like.
Tasmania is an Island and smallest state in Australia - rugged mountains with natural beauty at its finest. see here and here for more info on Tasmania

2. Cost of living is high (in Australia generally) but much lower when compared to places like Sydney (I always think of Sydney as Lagos cheesy)
Again it depends on your family size, your standard of living etc.
Rent from $AUD300 per week

3. Which of the 186 visa steam is it? Direct, Labour or Temporary residence?
Usually with a permanent visa, primary/secondary education should be "free". Childcare/Kindergarten is not.
Medicare appears to be also covered.

4. Can't speak of this one (as I don't know what your husband does) but he who searches shall find. All about giving it your best shot.

Hope that helps.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mokikeoj: 9:36am On Nov 22, 2022
Please who knows of a Nigerian grocery store in Melbourne where I can get Nigeria foodstuff. I have been to an African store ( nula multiproducts) but would like to know of there are others. Thank you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 4:15pm On Nov 22, 2022
[quote author=Silentthinker post=118579501][/quote]

For fairness and equity, you should work with the company that nominated you for at least two years before thinking about looking for another state.

The organisation offered to nominate you with the hope that you will work for them. While the 186 doesn't restrict you to the employer, it is only fair if you stay with the employer for two years as a thank you.

To answer your questions:

1) Is tasmania a good place to live?

Depends on your definition of good place, Tasmania is a nice place. If the organisation is located in Hobart, it is a nice harbour town but becoming very expensive. Relatively very safe too and not too crazy winter.

The cost of living in Tassie is increasing like the other states. Average cost of rent for a 3 bedroom per week is between $380 - $400. You can check www.realestate.com.au for advertised rents.

Groceries prices are increasing by the day with the capitalist hiding under rising inflation to jack up prices of food. For an average family of 3 expect to spend between $500-900 monthly on groceries if purchasing in organised departmental stores.

Public schools will be free for your kids. However each state has a sort of levy parents pay to support the school. Something about $500/year or less depending on the school.

Tasmania is a civil service state. Non-medical jobs are not easy to come by but he will eventually get something for sure. However, he could be lucky and get something good immediately.

There is a sizable Nigerian community in Tasmania you can be connected with to assist you in settling down.

All the best.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Prettiepearlz(f): 4:33pm On Nov 22, 2022
bellong:

For fairness and equity, you should work with the company that nominated you for at least two years before thinking about looking for another state.

The organisation offered to nominate you with the hope that you will work for them. While the 186 doesn't restrict you to the employer, it is only fair if you stay with the employer for two years as a thank you.

But this other employer that he or she mentioned is in the UK not Australia.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 9:40pm On Nov 22, 2022
Prettiepearlz:

But this other employer that he or she mentioned is in the UK not Australia.

Visa 186 is an employer sponsored permanent resident. The OP asking if Tasmania is a good city to reside indicates a plan to not reside in Tasmania if not recommended as the best place to live.

I supposed that the question to ask should be about Tasmania and the city where the sponsored organisation is located.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 4:00am On Nov 23, 2022
Anyone watching the world cup?
Australia thought they could do a Saudi but France had a different plan. Entertaining "contest" though.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Prettiepearlz(f): 8:50am On Nov 23, 2022
bellong:

Visa 186 is an employer sponsored permanent resident. The OP asking for the best city to reside in Australia indicates a plan to not reside in Tasmania if not recommended as the best place to live.

I supposed that the question to ask should be about Tasmania and the city where the sponsored organisation is located.
Oh I get it now, I was quite confused.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Princeokwuego1(m): 11:09am On Nov 23, 2022
Akesam05:
Hello house, please I am new here. I just got admission offer from University of Tasmania. Pls I need Australia students visa what'sapp or Telegram group in other to get more guides. I feel lonely.pleaae help me......
congrats! can you please help me on how you come over..I have that in mind next year

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Wiseoldman: 12:30pm On Nov 23, 2022
Tradinggiant:

If you have been to US, Australia would be similar in terms of space, and suburban setting. A typical Sydney residential street as seen on Google:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tradinggiant: 3:00pm On Nov 23, 2022
Wiseoldman:

If you have been to US, Australia would be similar in terms of space, and suburban setting. A typical Sydney residential street as seen on Google:

exactly what I wanted to know Sha..
but I don't think it's the same setting ..
maybe slightly different.
seems like Australia have this modern pattern of suburb compared to USA and Canada
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by OAOA: 4:31pm On Nov 23, 2022
cheesy grin I was rooting for them though. Overall, they tried, just that the French team was superb!
FBS:
Anyone watching the world cup?
Australia thought they could do a Saudi but France had a different plan. Entertaining "contest" though.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 1:23am On Nov 24, 2022
OAOA:
cheesy grin I was rooting for them though. Overall, they tried, just that the French team was superb!
True. The French were too much for them to handle, they were operating on a different level.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Silentthinker(f): 2:59am On Nov 25, 2022
FBS:

1- Any city in Australia is a good place to live, it depends on what you like.
Tasmania is an Island and smallest state in Australia - rugged mountains with natural beauty at its finest. see here and here for more info on Tasmania

2. Cost of living is high (in Australia generally) but much lower when compared to places like Sydney (I always think of Sydney as Lagos cheesy)
Again it depends on your family size, your standard of living etc.
Rent from $AUD300 per week

3. Which of the 186 visa steam is it? Direct, Labour or Temporary residence?
Usually with a permanent visa, primary/secondary education should be "free". Childcare/Kindergarten is not.
Medicare appears to be also covered.

4. Can't speak of this one (as I don't know what your husband does) but he who searches shall find. All about giving it your best shot.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much ,sorry for the late response.
It's a direct 186 visa
My husband works in one of the warehouses in UK but currently undergoing a training in truck driving.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 3:00am On Nov 25, 2022
Silentthinker:

Thanks so much ,sorry for the late response.
It's a direct 186 visa
My husband works in one of the warehouses in UK but currently undergoing a training in truck driving.
No guarantees obviously but should be able to get a job with that training.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Silentthinker(f): 3:07am On Nov 25, 2022
[quote author=bellong post=118599106]

To answer your questions:

1) Is tasmania a good place to live?

Depends on your definition of good place, Tasmania is a nice place. If the organisation is located in Hobart, it is a nice harbour town but becoming very expensive. Relatively very safe too and not too crazy winter.

The cost of living in Tassie is increasing like the other states. Average cost of rent for a 3 bedroom per week is between $380 - $400. You can check www.realestate.com.au for advertised rents.

Groceries prices are increasing by the day with the capitalist hiding under rising inflation to jack up prices of food. For an average family of 3 expect to spend between $500-900 monthly on groceries if purchasing in organised departmental stores.

Public schools will be free for your kids. However each state has a sort of levy parents pay to support the school. Something about $500/year or less depending on the school.

Tasmania is a civil service state. Non-medical jobs are not easy to come by but he will eventually get something for sure. However, he could be lucky and get something good immediately.

There is a sizable Nigerian community in Tasmania you can be connected with to assist you in settling down.

I appreciate your contributions.
However,Launceston located in northern tasmania is the city.
There's another employer in NSW offering similar 186 visa.Which should I go with?
NSW or tasmania.Family of 6.

Thanks again.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 6:43am On Nov 25, 2022
[quote author=Silentthinker post=118663657][/quote]

Which town in NSW? If your husband gets his truck licence, that will be a good advantage for him due to shortage of truck drivers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.