Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,292 members, 7,780,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:26 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (544980 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 11:36am On Nov 24, 2017
uchenna2017:
I have been wanting to ask this, for some of us that went to other states with no families or friends around how did you sort out your first accommodation wahala upon arrival? someone said flatmate.com.au i tried searching haven't seen any soul that wants families let alone with 3 children and airbnb cost per night is shocked shocked expensive

How can one handle this kind of situation? is it possible to get accommodation within 3 weeks of arrival?

Thank you.

For a single individual, its pretty easy as you can easily find backpackers or something similar and chill there for 3 - 5 days while you find a flatshare or houseshare but for families, it might be a bit harder.

From my experience, in a 'big city' like Perth, you would find lots of ads (private rental) on gumtree. In the regional cities or towns, they use more of facebook groups. So you need to search on facebook for the name of the city plus things like rental properties or rent homes and rooms. Join the groups and comment or inbox posts you are interested in. Some people also post rent properties ads on 'buy, sell and swap' groups. Most of these posts are usually found on facebook marketplace but not all of them.

You can also search budget hotels or motels in these cities. The daily rates are usually expensive but some of them (especially the owner operated) are usually willing to negotiate a weekly or long stay rate. These budget hotels or motels usually have ensuite rooms that can sleep 3 - 6 people. There may or may not be a shared kitchen.

If you manage to get a reasonably priced 1 or 2 weeks temp accommodation, you can then use that time to inspect rental properties. And it would make sense to focus on furnished units. Realestate.com.au is a good place to search for those rental properties.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 12:00pm On Nov 24, 2017
cconcept:
The view from the sky point observation deck surfers paradise.

The lift takes you from the ground floor to the 77th in 44s

This made me remember the old pictures I have of Sydney Tower eye.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 12:02pm On Nov 24, 2017
Night view?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 12:22pm On Nov 24, 2017
For Team Qld, this is Agnes Water. Small, neat and quiet town (or village sef) with a permanent population of less than 2000 people.

Lots of tourists as its a beautiful holiday destination. Its about 480km north of Brisbane.

If you use vodafone network, please take along telstra sim when visiting as there is no vodafone network there.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zibe(m): 12:58pm On Nov 24, 2017
^^

Ejor is that what you're calling village? sad sad

Wetin you go come call my village ejor? Chai cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 24, 2017
Bros you too much

I have already joined sell and swap group on facebook before now.

So you think furnished apartment is better than unfurnished? will check realestate out too.

Thank you .

ideamaster:

For a single individual, its pretty easy as you can easily find backpackers or something similar and chill there for 3 - 5 days while you find a flatshare or houseshare but for families, it might be a bit harder.

From my experience, in a 'big city' like Perth, you would find lots of ads (private rental) on gumtree. In the regional cities or towns, they use more of facebook groups. So you need to search on facebook for the name of the city plus things like rental properties or rent homes and rooms. Join the groups and comment or inbox posts you are interested in. Some people also post rent properties ads on 'buy, sell and swap' groups. Most of these posts are usually found on facebook marketplace but not all of them.

You can also search budget hotels or motels in these cities. The daily rates are usually expensive but some of them (especially the owner operated) are usually willing to negotiate a weekly or long stay rate. These budget hotels or motels usually have ensuite rooms that can sleep 3 - 6 people. There may or may not be a shared kitchen.

If you manage to get a reasonably priced 1 or 2 weeks temp accommodation, you can then use that time to inspect rental properties. And it would make sense to focus on furnished units. Realestate.com.au is a good place to search for those rental properties.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by BagiChris: 5:43pm On Nov 24, 2017
uchenna2017:
Bros you too much

I have already joined sell and swap group on facebook before now.

So you think furnished apartment is better than unfurnished? will check realestate out too.

Thank you .

Hello

please send me the link for the group via bagichris@gmail.com let us share information on accommodation plans. Thank you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 24, 2017
I don't know anything about link I went to my face book page and search for swap, sell and buy for the region am heading to then I start Following that's all.

quote author=BagiChris post=62681159]

Hello

please send me the link for the group via bagichris@gmail.com let us share information on accommodation plans. Thank you[/quote]
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 11:30am On Nov 25, 2017
Thanks for this info:

Got a good deal for my Ford...:

Manufacturer's Major Service (with Service Logbook stamped) - $29,

Wheel Alignment - $30, and

Tyre Rotation - $10...

For just A$69 at Karwork... (Got the voucher from Groupon)

No Stress!!! Drive-in, Drive-out...

Thanks thanks...

Cognito79:

You can check Groupon or scoopon for service deals. You can get your car serviced for $60 using those deals

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Vinsmuft(m): 9:02pm On Nov 25, 2017
catchdwind4rmkd:
Thanks for this info:

Got a good deal for my Ford...:

Manufacturer's Major Service (with Service Logbook stamped) - $29,

Wheel Alignment - $30, and

Tyre Rotation - $10...

For just A$69 at Karwork... (Got the voucher from Groupon)

No Stress!!! Drive-in, Drive-out...

Thanks thanks...

shocked Unbelievable! But bros you sure say them rotate the tires.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by cc77(m): 12:51pm On Nov 26, 2017
God bless Australia kiss kiss
Please pm me bcus i been trying to send you pm but cant go
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zanyzara: 8:44am On Nov 27, 2017
Phlunter01:

Hi

What's the matter? Why the sad face?
Was afraid this thread is getting too dry but ideamaster to the rescue cheesy cheesy cheesy

Zany.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by gnykelly(m): 1:07pm On Nov 27, 2017
ideamaster:
For Team Qld, this is Agnes Water. Small, neat and quiet town (or village sef) with a permanent population of less than 2000 people.

Lots of tourists as its a beautiful holiday destination. Its about 480km north of Brisbane.

If you use vodafone network, please take along telstra sim when visiting as there is no vodafone network there.

abeg explain.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by obi24(f): 2:38pm On Nov 27, 2017
Hi, I will be moving to Adelaide hopefully next year with hubby and three kids.we are at the stage of doing medicals and pcc.pls our elders in Australia I want to know if there are mosquitoes in Adelaide.I dey always take malaria drugs every month.even the mosquitoe no dey fear my injection. your answers will be of great help me.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 28, 2017
My people in aussy how are you guys preparing for Christmas,any activities planned out Make una come give us gist na this place is becoming quite.

Been itching to hear all the gist abi na only me waka come grin sometimes I check out canny thread to keep mind busy from Dibp.

Please let's not make this thread dry more pictures from supermarket to farmers market etc just for fun.

N/B does Australia stores do Christmas sales like other countries

6 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by atiteb4: 2:54pm On Nov 28, 2017
olajide21:

Beautiful Country..
assalamu alaikum sir. please kindly reply me.back sir. thanks ALLAH bless.u
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by olajide21: 5:39pm On Nov 28, 2017
atiteb4:
assalamu alaikum sir. please kindly reply me.back sir. thanks ALLAH bless.u
W'alaekum salam brother. I responded to your mail about 2 days ago...

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 7:09am On Nov 30, 2017
Hahaaaa.

I can't tell oh coz I left it for them and returned to pick it up after 2hrs.
Naija sha, e be like say u read my mind when I go pick the car grin

However, I'd think that's the easiest of all: tyre rotation.
I can even do that one myself.

I saw them doing other cars; so I'd be surprised if they didn't do mine.
They've got a good and well-equipped workshop.
Cars are hanging overhead everywhere; they've got auto-jacks to raise the cars to comfy height for easy access.

My only fear was the wheel alignment; coz I fear they may tell me a fault exists just to make up for the reduced price.
But since my car had no issues, I was ready to tell them not to bother if it comes to that. I only did the servicing to fulfil all righteousness and keep the value of the car high for future sales coz people here too value service history and stamped logbook.

So, in my opinion, wheel balancing or alignment is the main concern and not tyre rotation that you can even do if u can find good rocks (stones) to lift the car. If you can change your flat wheels (tyre), why can't you rotate them? As for whatever they call major service, all they do is to Change Oil and inspect vital parts, then maybe shine your engine to impress you. But the only free thing is the Oil. Every other identified issue comes at an extra cost. E.g. they identified that my reverse light wasn't working, they didn't fix it but printed a report to notify me of the fault and ask if I want it done but said it's not critical and I can plan it for my next service.

Don't be deceived by the price though; it's marketing strategy to remain in competition as more garages now do major services at a reduced price. So giving out discount vouchers can help attract more customers during which they may identify other problems that you can decide to have them fix for you. The actual price is way higher than that if you go to their workshop. I only got that deal paying with a discount voucher I bought at Groupon.

Vinsmuft:

shocked Unbelievable! But bros you sure say them rotate the tires.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bblessed: 1:35pm On Nov 30, 2017
obi24:
Hi, I will be moving to Adelaide hopefully next year with hubby and three kids.we are at the stage of doing medicals and pcc.pls our elders in Australia I want to know if there are mosquitoes in Adelaide.I dey always take malaria drugs every month.even the mosquitoe no dey fear my injection. your answers will be of great help me.

I have been in Sydney for like five months now and I have only seen mosquito once and that was last week. I was even excited seeing it,i had to tell the testimony. Lol

18 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by obi24(f): 1:56pm On Nov 30, 2017
bblessed:
Thanks bblessed am a bit relief now. cheesy

I have been in Sydney for like five months now and I have only seen mosquito onc :De and that was last week. I was even excited seeing it,i had to tell the testimony. Lol
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 2:32pm On Nov 30, 2017
gnykelly:

abeg explain.

Locals who were born or grew up there and/or those who live and work there. There are lots of other people you would find there but most are tourists or those who stop over to break their long drives.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by attention007(m): 4:45pm On Nov 30, 2017
Hello, am Gideon and I was reading a thread on nairaland with your moniker @bellong.
And am sending you this message to make enquiries about the things I need to know about migrating to Australia.
Am a Computer Science graduate and awaiting service.
It will be helpful for you to give me head up so I can prepare and gain the required skills before I get ready to migrate.
Please I will be expecting a reply from you.
Thanks.
My moniker on nairaland is @attention007
and on fb Akeni Onoriode Gideon
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Vinsmuft(m): 9:18am On Dec 01, 2017
catchdwind4rmkd:

Don't be deceived by the price though; it's marketing strategy to remain in competition as more garages now do major services at a reduced price. So giving out discount vouchers can help attract more customers during which they may identify other problems that you can decide to have them fix for you. The actual price is way higher than that if you go to their workshop. I only got that deal paying with a discount voucher I bought at Groupon.

Yes you are right. The deal I got serviced my car very cheap but then printed a report of $1,200 shocked. They said that my timing belt was due for replacement. I bought the car for $4,500 and want to use $1,200 to change timing belt? I pick race my guy

7 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 01, 2017
Hi guys, i would love to migrate to aussie on business visa.. Like how much do i need to have? And total cost of migrating? Someone please.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by victree4: 7:55am On Dec 02, 2017
Hi Aussie peeps.
Is it possible to nominate one occupation for skilled visa and get a job in a different occupation?

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by kamotisha: 1:31pm On Dec 02, 2017
Hi fam!
Pls I need advise o. I tried opening a NAB classic account from naija and experienced issues because they asked for phone no and I was putting +234...Apparently they expect the no to be an aussie no. Any ideas on what to do pls? Or do I try another bank? Any referrals with good testimonies?

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by stobe: 1:31pm On Dec 02, 2017
Vinsmuft:

The online version is at your pace. Normally it could take as much as 4 months but you could finish in two months if you are fast enough

WHATS THE FEE LIKE AND CAN IT BE DONE OFFSHORE
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jukeblam(m): 1:35pm On Dec 02, 2017
Parts of Perth CBD- notice the few people there:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jukeblam(m): 1:37pm On Dec 02, 2017
Found in Perth too

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jukeblam(m): 1:40pm On Dec 02, 2017
Strawberries are cheap, and shaki has an english name shocked cheesy T-R-I-P-E

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.