Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,761 members, 7,798,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (547462 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2017
FBS:

Nope. Even over 25.

In South Australia, if you are over 25, you can get P1 after 6 months on L-plate.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 1:51pm On Dec 26, 2017
Merry Christmas o.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2017
bellong:

In South Australia, if you are over 25, you can get P1 after 6 months on L-plate.
In QLD it's after 1 year.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 1:59pm On Dec 26, 2017
Merry. Christmas.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Neks001(f): 2:13pm On Dec 26, 2017
@ FBS

Where is this?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by DidoKev: 2:23pm On Dec 26, 2017
zanyzara:
I believe he's talking about student visa. For PR, since you have lodged your application, you have to wait for CO.

Zany.
yea, it is on student visa that you can arrange for Medicals and biometrics after submission
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tuteso: 6:45pm On Dec 26, 2017
Inspiration top-up completed. Back to PTE.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 26, 2017
bellong:

Why?? Why did you quote that long post to write wow.. abeg, undo the quote.

lool...OCD....hahaha
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tonyant(m): 8:27am On Dec 27, 2017
catchdwind4rmkd:
Done

Hi @catchdwind4rmkd, am very new to this platform and am not sure if am sending messages the right way. Pls I need to ask you a ques regarding the Australia 476 visa for recent graduates. I tried sending you a msg directly but am not sure If I've done that correctly. Please assist. Cheers!
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by obi24(f): 8:58am On Dec 27, 2017
Thanks Didokev,Bellong and Zany.We have generated our HAP id and will do our medicals with or without CO.

Not necessarily. You can go ahead to do it without waiting for CO. I did medicals after submitting.

S/he should follow the process earlier described.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by SallyAUS: 11:16am On Dec 27, 2017
OlalekanKad:

My advice for you is to look at Liverpool with postcode 2170. Contact this agent (Starr Partners) http://www.starrpartners.com.au/ send them a message if they can be of help because according to the law, you need to view the accommodations first and apply before anyone can give you any house. Liverpool is like the city of migrants because as a new migrant, you want a place close to industries and also fairly cheap accommodations.

Thank you very much..
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by gcey2k(m): 7:49am On Dec 28, 2017
catchdwind4rmkd:
Mine was subclass 476 (Skilled Recognised Graduate Temporary)

Hello Bro... I presumed this when I read your first and main post.

I just applied for same Visa early this December. I have a Mech Engr background. I am hoping so much to get it and if I do, I'll really need your help on information and stuff before moving.

I hope you don't mind if I follow you for the now?

Thanks again for your previous post...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by aussy4life: 9:51am On Dec 28, 2017
Happy holiday to everyone hope your all enjoying the holiday.

Quick one can we bring powdered milk and Milo? Someone in Canada thread brought detergent her reason was they only have liquid ones so can that also be allowed in Australia.

For the ladies is it advisable to bring our hair relaxer and gel or the one over there is better? did any one come with ogiri/ okpei(iru) how did you package the thing because of smell? Can we bring in dry bitter leaf or it's not allowed.

Please someone should help so I wont just pack unnecessary things at the end of the day pay for extra bag or it will be thrown away.

For adaptor what type should one bring I remember someone saying they look like I pass my neighbor mouth is it the same for every state or each state have their type of sockets.

Have a wonderful day all
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by oknee: 1:55pm On Dec 28, 2017
aussy4life:
Happy holiday to everyone hope your all enjoying the holiday.

Have a wonderful day all

1. you can bring your milk but there are powdered milk available(5 dollars) and milo( about 14 dollars for the very big tin) is everywhere.
2. powdered detergents also available though not as foamy as ariel.
3.i did not carry ogiri, wish i did. someone advised to put in transparent air tight container.
4. u can easily buy adaptor here, don't think the type needed here is sold in naija.
5. hair relaxers , hair creams and gel are available in African shops. my daughter's texturizer costs ten dollars.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by aussy4life: 3:06pm On Dec 28, 2017
Thanks for your response

oknee:

1. you can bring your milk but there are powdered milk available(5 dollars) and milo( about 14 dollars for the very big tin) is everywhere.
2. powdered detergents also available though not as foamy as ariel.
3.i did not carry ogiri, wish i did. someone advised to put in transparent air tight container.
4. u can easily buy adaptor here, don't think the type needed here is sold in naija.
5. hair relaxers , hair creams and gel are available in African shops. my daughter's texturizer costs ten dollars.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zanyzara: 10:38pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ifexsco:
Wow!!!!! What a year!!!! It's being a packed 365 days....
Lived in 3 cities...
Moved 3 times...
Done 6 jobs and currently doing the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th!
Moved from serious uncertainty to certainty!
Moved from struggling seriously just to have the basics to having the basics and nearly taking it for granted!
Moved from being in debt to not being indebted!
Moved from wishing to be a blessing to actually being a blessing!

Best year so far.....can see it's my turning point!

God's hand is written and imprinted all over these!

2018 is gonna be better and that is for me and all my friends!

Happy new year in advance my friends! May 2018 be the best so far for us!

5 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by aussy4life: 4:11pm On Dec 31, 2017
Happy new year to our Aussy families grin cheesy
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Hephziebah(f): 6:05pm On Dec 31, 2017
aussy4life:
Happy new year to our Aussy families grin cheesy

Happy 2018 to you too.

I see @Oknee has answered your questions but you might just want to come with a few relaxers and maybe hair creams, as depending on the city you would be settling in, the brands you want might not be readily available, as there are very limited choices for black hair here.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 9:04pm On Dec 31, 2017
Hephziebah:

However, I had to move out of the house after just a month because I was not comfortable. Like others have said, it is very important to ask about all the conditions before moving into any house. Do not allow any landlord to fool you by saying they will send the documentation later(after you move in), it is most likely a trap because at this point, you would have paid and will most likely be bound to fulfill the minimum lease period.

I chose to live in Sydney and the major factor that informed my choice was the availability of jobs in my field. This, and other factors like ease of travel with the public transport system (as I did not intend to drive immediately) helped me decide. In fact, I had a spreadsheet when I was still in Nigeria where I was doing a comparison between Sydney and Melbourne based on the factors I considered important to me.

As I do not drive, I use public transport and spend about $60 per week on travel. The trains are more reliable than the buses so when renting, be sure to ensure that you get a place close to the train station if not driving. You really don't want to have a lot to do with the buses because they can really test your patience.

Just curious to know what you found uncomfortable in your first apartment. It's not uncommon to move into a house only to realize you skipped some things during inspection. If you don't mind you may share.

The Sydney-Melbourne decision seems a lot like the Australia-Canada dilemma in a way. Luckily, I didn't have to dwell much on either. It was very unusual of me on both occasions. cheesy cheesy

Lastly, my Naija licence expired this month (Dec). Renewal process activated but it won't be out before I leave for Sydney. I understand I can drive with my Naija licence for a period of 3 months within which I must transfer my overseas licence to a NSW driver's licence. Does the 3 months period start from date of entry or when I actually started driving? For instance, what if I didn't buy a car until 6 months after date of entry? Anxiety can make someone ask stupid questions at times, so please pardon me in the spirit of the season.

I expect my Naija licence to be ready about a month after my arrival in Sydney. Just trying to avoid the grueling process of obtaining a DL from start. I'll gladly use the train system though.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by aussy4life: 1:23pm On Jan 01, 2018
Happy new year everyone wishing us all a prosperous new year grin grin kiss
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by aussy4life: 6:04pm On Jan 01, 2018
Hi everyone. Please landed seniors, the tap water in Australia is it good enough for drinking or do you need additional purifying.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Mcslize: 6:32pm On Jan 01, 2018
Hello catchdwind4rmkd :

I mailed you to assist me with your CDR to use as a sample you didn't reply o. Are you still using it? Shey you've gotten your grant na. No dey fall my hand here o. Just wanna use as a sample nothing much.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Fizzywah(m): 6:41pm On Jan 01, 2018
aussy4life:

Hi everyone. Please landed seniors, the tap water in Australia is it good enough for drinking or do you need additional purifying.

Got the following from Melbourne Water Corporation. Could be similar for other major cities in Australia.

Melbourne has some of the world’s best drinking water, which we test regularly to ensure it meets strict water quality requirements — as well as checking aesthetics like colour, taste and smell.

What we test water for:

- clarity (turbidity)
- minerals and natural substances like iron and manganese
- colour
- pH
- bacteria, such as E. coli
- chlorine and fluoride levels
- contaminants like fuel and pesticides

Standards for water quality

All the water we supply, no matter where it comes from, must meet strict water quality requirements. We follow several laws and guidelines:

- Safe Drinking Water Act 2003 and Safe Drinking Water Regulations 2005, set and administered by the Department of Health and Human Services
- Australian Drinking Water Guidelines 2011, developed by the National Health and Medical Research Council
water quality standards set in our bulk water supply agreements with the retail water companies
- We use independently-certified systems to manage water quality, including ISO 9001 and the HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) system. Both are used in food and pharmaceutical industries worldwide.

Those already there please confirm, deny or expatiate.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Hephziebah(f): 5:07am On Jan 02, 2018
Omooloriredade:

Just curious to know what you found uncomfortable in your first apartment. It's not uncommon to move into a house only to realize you skipped some things during inspection. If you don't mind you may share.

The Sydney-Melbourne decision seems a lot like the Australia-Canada dilemma in a way. Luckily, I didn't have to dwell much on either. It was very unusual of me on both occasions. cheesy cheesy

Lastly, my Naija licence expired this month (Dec). .

So the landlord did not send me the famous 'document' till I moved in(I didn't even know what this document was), only for me to get it and have rules and regulations handed out to me like I was in boarding school, so i felt more like I was in a hostel and was not free at all.

For driver's license, I think its dependent on your date of arrival but I am not absolutely certain, others who have driven with their foreign licenses can help out here.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Hephziebah(f): 5:13am On Jan 02, 2018
aussy4life:

Most people drink tap water including me, and I think its safe.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by emmy2164: 8:09am On Jan 02, 2018
After having a USA bib2 visa revoked, what effect will that have on my Australian student Visa application.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by nuelnuel: 6:49am On Jan 03, 2018
Someone asked earlier about the best way to transfer money to Nigeria, even though many answers were given but from my experience, no money transfer service offers a better exchange rate than Transferwise
https://transferwise.com

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by nuelnuel: 6:50am On Jan 03, 2018
Please can someone clarify IOM's 40 kg luggage allowance for me.
For an adult travelling alone,
Is the luggage allowance 40kg*2?(just like most airlines give 23kg*2)
Or is it a total luggage allowance of 40kg
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by majiouk2002: 6:39pm On Jan 03, 2018
Hello guys,

Please can anyone recommend a suburb close enough to University of Melbourne with cheap accommodation? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Ironrose: 12:02am On Jan 04, 2018
nuelnuel:
Please can someone clarify IOM's 40 kg luggage allowance for me.
For an adult travelling alone,
Is the luggage allowance 40kg*2?(just like most airlines give 23kg*2)
Or is it a total luggage allowance of 40kg

Total of 40kg ie 20kg×2
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by nuelnuel: 6:21am On Jan 04, 2018
Alright. Thank you very much.
Ironrose:

Total of 40kg ie 20kg×2
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Eladua(m): 7:38am On Jan 05, 2018
nuelnuel:
Alright. Thank you very much.

Did you get any quote from IOM recently. I have contacted them since Tuesday, yet to get any response.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.