Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,203 members, 7,780,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:59 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (544962 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 9:30am On Mar 15, 2018
desertboom:

I've learnt enough from you, if not because of lack of funds I would have started the process.
Well-done

If you can meet the requirements and your occupation is on the list, I don't think funds should be a barrier.
One step at a time. I believe in when there is a will, there must be a way...

There are people who never had the fund but started from the little till they got to the end. Once it is God's will for you to make the move, believe me, the funds will surface. What you need then is to overcome your inertia.

Goodluck.

17 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by desertboom(m): 10:43am On Mar 15, 2018
bellong:

If you can meet the requirements and your occupation is on the list, I don't think funds should be a barrier.

There are people who never had the fund but started from the little till they got to the end. Once it is God's will for you to make the move, believe me, the funds will survive. What you need then is to overcome your inertia.

Goodluck.

Thank you sir for the encouragement. Life is not fair for a struggling guy.
Thanks for your concern and time
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by manga5: 11:30am On Mar 15, 2018
bellong:

There are people who never had the fund but started from the little till they got to the end. [b]Once it is God's will for you to make the move, believe me, the funds will survive. [/b]What you need then is to overcome your inertia.

Goodluck.
Oga bellong, you hit the nail on the head.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by AkinO100: 2:30am On Mar 16, 2018
My thoughts on racism in Australia

I am a silent reader here. I appreciate the good things you guys are doing.

1. Racism in the 21st century has been redefined. Its no longer the KKK, monkey and banana type of racism anymore. Infact you will find more random people flashing you smiles on the streets of Australia than any other first world countries. However, what separates Australia from the rest of the first world countries is, while the rest of the world is doing more to curb racism and xenophobia, Australian govt seems reluctant to promote integration and inclusivity. In many developed countries there are existing laws that make it mandatory for composition of employees in most companies to reflect present demographics. Australia is far behind in this. Canadian parliament and the executive arm of the govt have many non-white immigrants. Recently, a Nigerian was elected into the Italian parliament. We now have africans playing for national teams of Belgium, Italy, Germany etc. Things are changing fast as it relates to race integration but not in Australia.

2. Hiring is still purely based on consideration of color and not on skill and qualification. How do you report a company to Fairwork for failing to hire you? These companies send beautifully worded emails informing you that your application is unsuccessful without giving the slighlest inklings to element of race in those polite emails? Of course they won't be that dumb. What happens is applications from Africans are tossed into shredders and covered up with lack of local experience blah blah blah. Many skilled migrants especially Africans are unwillingly "forced" into disability care and nursing professions. Do not get me wrong. Nursing is a noble profession, but why would an engineer or IT manager be "forced' to take up a profession he or she has little penchant for just to put food on the table? Why would he have to take up disability care when caucasians from europe and south africa who arrived same time and on same visa are working in their professions of choice? What other explanation would you give that? It is very acceptable if these migrants start at the lowest rung of their professional careers, but what is totally unacceptable is when they have to completely abandon what they studied for 5-6 years to do Disability Care.

3. A lot of attention seems to be on crimes committed by Africans. Often time, these crimes are blown out of proportion. Let me site an instance. Three media houses(7 News, ABC and one other one that I cant remember right now) ran a story about the so-called gang terrorizing Melbourne. To support their claim, they showed a video clip of four men who were embroiled in a fight. They were all dressed in black and shades of black, but what surprised me was the media houses or whoever sold the video to them had the faces of the fighting thugs blurred out.
The news ended that day with an interview granted to a couple of people who expressed their displeasure to the spate of crime committed by Africans.
However, the bubble burst a few days later when another media house ran a counter story. This time around, the video was zoomed and one could see the faces of the men fighting. They looked arab or caucasian but none of them was african!
the question is how on earth could three media houses have descended so low to the extent of engaging in a 'campaign" to paint a whole black race bad? When institutions that are supposed to be unbiased join in the campaign of calumny against Africans, then you know there are problems.

4. It hurts terribly bad when Africans say one should not expect to be given a red carpet welcome. Why do we still think like this?! Why are caucasians from Europe, America and even asians given a royal welcome in Australia but africans left to suffer despite migrating on permanent visa? Don't we give them VIP treatment in Africa? Why do we have to be on our best behaviour to be entiled to crumbs from white people?

5. Finally, don't let us not make the mistake of comparing racism and tribalism. Both are social ills but while one says you are less than a human being, the other says I only associate with people who speak my language. One discriminates against you untill you prove them wrong, the other does not even give you the opportunity to prove them wrong as you are treated based on HOW you look.

In conclusion, racism is alive and kicking in Australia. Its not on your face type of racism but it might stifle your professional growth if you don't push harder to make it in life.

The solution lies in the hands of two people: Government and you! but not in the hands of the racist. You can either choose to ignore them and move on or play an active role in eradicating it. But one thing I tell people is if you are overly sensitive, you may not like australia, if you are the type that shrugs things off and move on, you will like it here.

21 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by PurpleG(f): 5:44am On Mar 16, 2018
foreverkind1:

Hello, what part of australia are you ?
Adelaide
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by foreverkind1(m): 5:52am On Mar 16, 2018
PurpleG:

Adelaide
Can i send you a pm ?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by purem(m): 9:41am On Mar 16, 2018
@bellong please you have to reply me o coz I think people like me full dis NL

Is there a surviving chance for uneducated people and lesser certificates ones in Australia?

Over the years I've been thinking of saving money from the labour works and travel abroad but still thinking about a suitable country for a hustler

(right now I could afairm that I have something that will sustain me for 3 to 4 months in my account, depending on how costly things are in the country)

And what are the jobs available for uneducated people?

If you can reply I will appreciate

Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 9:50am On Mar 16, 2018
@purem,

It is very easy to work in the country with no certificate. There are tons of jobs to do. However, you need at least a trade qualification to be able to enter the country legally or come in to study. Another means to enter is as an investor which requires more fund than what you described you have.

If by lesser certificate, you mean trade skills like welder, mechanic etc. Those with such skills and certificates are the owners of this country. You will be king as long as you are good at what you do.

Like I said, you need at least a trade qualification to be able to move legally.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Michaelamo: 9:51am On Mar 16, 2018
AkinO100:

The solution lies in the hands of two people: Government and you! but not in the hands of the racist. You can either choose to ignore them and move on or play an active role in eradicating it. But one thing I tell people is if you are overly sensitive, you may not like australia, if you are the type that shrugs things off and move on, you will like it here.

Thanks to you and @Bellong for commenting on the racism issue. I can see that both of you are right coming from different angles. Whats most paramount in both of your comments is the advice to not being "overly sensitive" though it was said in different ways. I believe no racism I will see elsewhere is worst than what I see in my country from my fellow country men. My belief.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by purem(m): 10:09am On Mar 16, 2018
Thanks very much bro @bellong

But my problem is the documents required to be a immigrant and also arranging a visa, I think all this will require alots of money

Am a hair stylist (a barber) and I have a friend (a fashoinist) we are both planning to move in in illegal route, by sea, a ship to be precised

It's about bribing the ship captain and some others

A friend of mine did it to Turkey last year.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 11:08am On Mar 16, 2018
@Purem,

Australia is an isolated country which makes it difficult for illegal entry. Yes, people still find their way in illegally. However, the waters are constantly being patrolled by the border force (home affairs). The ship will be issued hefty fine, so I am not sure the captain will be willing to take such risk.

In the event you are arrested and you declare to seek asylum, you will be taken to the immigration detention centre. The processing takes a very long time. At the end, your request may be denied and deported.

For Australia, I will not advice such venture. The Asians bring in lots of their people by exploiting the visa 457. A small restaurant will pack in people as restaurant workers which is why the current government is clamping down on the visa 457.

If you have paper qualification in those trades, some states sponsor them.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 11:22am On Mar 16, 2018
AkinO100:

I am a silent reader here. I appreciate the good things you guys are doing.

1. Racism in the 21st century has been redefined. Its no longer the KKK, monkey and banana type of racism anymore. Infact you will find more random people flashing you smiles on the streets of Australia than any other first world countries. However, what separates Australia from the rest of the first world countries is, while the rest of the world is doing more to curb racism and xenophobia, Australian govt seems reluctant to promote integration and inclusivity. In many developed countries there are existing laws that make it mandatory for composition of employees in most companies to reflect present demographics. Australia is far behind in this. Canadian parliament and the executive arm of the govt have many non-white immigrants. Recently, a Nigerian was elected into the Italian parliament. We now have africans playing for national teams of Belgium, Italy, Germany etc. Things are changing fast as it relates to race integration but not in Australia.

2. Hiring is still purely based on consideration of color and not on skill and qualification. How do you report a company to Fairwork for failing to hire you? These companies send beautifully worded emails informing you that your application is unsuccessful without giving the slighlest inklings to element of race in those polite emails? Of course they won't be that dumb. What happens is applications from Africans are tossed into shredders and covered up with lack of local experience blah blah blah. Many skilled migrants especially Africans are unwillingly "forced" into disability care and nursing professions. Do not get me wrong. Nursing is a noble profession, but why would an engineer or IT manager be "forced' to take up a profession he or she has little penchant for just to put food on the table? Why would he have to take up disability care when caucasians from europe and south africa who arrived same time and on same visa are working in their professions of choice? What other explanation would you give that? It is very acceptable if these migrants start at the lowest rung of their professional careers, but what is totally unacceptable is when they have to completely abandon what they studied for 5-6 years to do Disability Care.

3. A lot of attention seems to be on crimes committed by Africans. Often time, these crimes are blown out of proportion. Let me site an instance. Three media houses(7 News, ABC and one other one that I cant remember right now) ran a story about the so-called gang terrorizing Melbourne. To support their claim, they showed a video clip of four men who were embroiled in a fight. They were all dressed in black and shades of black, but what surprised me was the media houses or whoever sold the video to them had the faces of the fighting thugs blurred out.
The news ended that day with an interview granted to a couple of people who expressed their displeasure to the spate of crime committed by Africans.
However, the bubble burst a few days later when another media house ran a counter story. This time around, the video was zoomed and one could see the faces of the men fighting. They looked arab or caucasian but none of them was african!
the question is how on earth could three media houses have descended so low to the extent of engaging in a 'campaign" to paint a whole black race bad? When institutions that are supposed to be unbiased join in the campaign of calumny against Africans, then you know there are problems.

4. It hurts terribly bad when Africans say one should not expect to be given a red carpet welcome. Why do we still think like this?! Why are caucasians from Europe, America and even asians given a royal welcome in Australia but africans left to suffer despite migrating on permanent visa? Don't we give them VIP treatment in Africa? Why do we have to be on our best behaviour to be entiled to crumbs from white people?

5. Finally, don't let us not make the mistake of comparing racism and tribalism. Both are social ills but while one says you are less than a human being, the other says I only associate with people who speak my language. One discriminates against you untill you prove them wrong, the other does not even give you the opportunity to prove them wrong as you are treated based on HOW you look.

In conclusion, racism is alive and kicking in Australia. Its not on your face type of racism but it might stifle your professional growth if you don't push harder to make it in life.

I concur with the points you raised but have different opinion on job hiring and crimes committed, with my little experience here if you have the required skills an organization or an employee is looking for, they won't hesitate to employ you in respective of your skin color or where you are from, have met Nigerians and other Africans in top positions both in local and multinational organizations here. On the issue of crime the east Africans especially the south Sudanese and the Kenyans ain't helping matters and most of them are on humanitarian visa, take a trip to Footscray/Sunshine or Dandenong in Melbourne you will be surprise how they are messing up and to an average Aussie all blacks are the same since most of them haven't travel out of their country since birth, for instance a black guy was caught on camera running away after snatching AUD1000 from a woman while withdrawing from an ATM in Dandenong also a group of South Sudanese guys robbing a supermarket all aired on 9news sometimes ago, these and many more are denting the little black communities's image. One more thing, you can't compare Australia with western Europe and America because they have being dealing with blacks for a very long time unlike here where the blacks are countable and increasing in number of recent due to the unrest in east African.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by DaddyTheFather: 12:09pm On Mar 16, 2018
purem:
Thanks very much bro @bellong

But my problem is the documents required to be a immigrant and also arranging a visa, I think all this will require alots of money

Am a hair stylist (a barber) and I have a friend (a fashoinist) we are both planning to move in in illegal route, by sea, a ship to be precised

It's about bribing the ship captain and some others

A friend of mine did it to Turkey last year.

@purem see ehn...bellong is just trying to be nice and telling you it's not advisable. I will be honest with you: you will NEVER make it into Australia illegally. The reason is that Australia has a policy of housing refugees on an island off the coast of Australia. They never let refugee boats get to mainland Australia. Please, I implore you, spend that your bribe money on getting the needed trade certificate. If you do not believe me, please just google it. If you're entirely bent on going the refugee/illegal route, please consider another country. Australia will not favour you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by purem(m): 12:58pm On Mar 16, 2018
bellong:

If you have paper qualification in those trades, some states sponsor them.

Thamks bro

You mean states in Australia? Please tell me about it.

The ships am talking about is not for transporting people

It's for transporting goods, items, you know those big containers

I know it's very risky

I've heard alots of people deported in various countries for illegal routine

I think I will have to save more money @daddythefather

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by uckennety(m): 2:45pm On Mar 16, 2018
Please am 28yrs old coming to Australia to study construction management and economics bsc

Please want are my chances

I have trade certifications of 1,11,111

Applied for visa since Jan 10th no responses till now

Cc bellong,blings e.t.c
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by PurpleG(f): 6:57pm On Mar 16, 2018
foreverkind1:

Can i send you a pm ?
Go ahead.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 10:02pm On Mar 16, 2018
PurpleG:

Go ahead.

I will tell someone to contact you.

Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 11:08pm On Mar 16, 2018
uckennety:
Please am 28yrs old coming to Australia to study construction management and economics bsc

Please want are my chances

I have trade certifications of 1,11,111

Applied for visa since Jan 10th no responses till now

Cc bellong,blings e.t.c

Your chances for what?

I don't really understand what you want to know. Is it if you will get a visa or what?

What are your trade certificates in? And do you have paid experience in the occupation?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Eladua(m): 12:09am On Mar 17, 2018
PurpleG:

Go ahead.

Hi PurpleG, I sent you a pm. Please reply.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 1:52am On Mar 17, 2018
Just wanna say that they've got very good libraries here. I'm impressed. Nothing fancy, basic actually but highly functional. I am impressed.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by chidike(m): 3:11am On Mar 17, 2018
MizMyColi:

My Hubby thinks Australia is far better and sometimes in my mind, I ask him, "are you sure?"...

Well, I'll find out for myself soon cheesy

Thanks again.

Are you in Auckland and is your husband an engineer?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Joyfree: 5:27am On Mar 17, 2018
Pls what's the surest and fastest way of sending money from Aussie to Nigeria. Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by uckennety(m): 5:41am On Mar 17, 2018
bellong:

Your chances for what?

I don't really understand what you want to know. Is it if you will get a visa or what?

What are your trade certificates in? And do you have paid experience in the occupation?

Yes if I'll get visa

Bricklaying and masonry

I v 9yrs experience
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 6:40am On Mar 17, 2018
uckennety:

Yes if I'll get visa

Bricklaying and masonry

I v 9yrs experience

You have evidence of being paid for the job?

If yes, na you be boss. You don't need a student visa..

In Melbourne and Sydney, bricklayers are hotcake.

Contact Olalekankad or Sujydee to help you with assessment with TRA.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by uckennety(m): 6:56am On Mar 17, 2018
bellong:

You have evidence of being paid for the job?

If yes, na you be boss. You don't need a student visa..

In Melbourne and Sydney, bricklayers are hotcake.

Contact Olalekankad or Sujydee to help you with assessment with TRA.

Yes Infact lemme pm you so i can forward my employment letter,cv,pay slip and any other document

Note i have not attended university yet

As waiting for visa to study in holmesglen construction management

And how do i contact olalekankad and sujydee

I just pm'ed you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by PurpleG(f): 7:21am On Mar 17, 2018
bellong:

I will tell someone to contact you.

Thanks
Ok
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by PurpleG(f): 7:23am On Mar 17, 2018
Eladua:

Hi PurpleG, I sent you a pm. Please reply.
Ok
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by chidike(m): 7:26am On Mar 17, 2018
Joyfree:
Pls what's the surest and fastest way of sending money from Aussie to Nigeria. Thanks
I use world remit but it shows up within minutes. There are others though.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Marinologistics: 1:38am On Mar 18, 2018
Who is coming on 476 here in June ...Catchwind4rmkd how can I contact you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Marinologistics: 1:40am On Mar 18, 2018
gcey2k:

I just got a job as a junior lecturer in a federal institution.

I am a mechanical engineer.

Thanks boss
We in the same boat bro... you down let's do this

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Marinologistics: 1:44am On Mar 18, 2018
I've a question house... what are the requirements for proof of employment history... wage slips (I guess) and what else please

Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by gcey2k(m): 8:31am On Mar 18, 2018
Marinologistics:

We in the same boat bro... you down let's do this

Interesting Bro...
I will send you a PM

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.