Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,989 members, 7,799,397 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (547558 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tyosho: 7:18am On May 11, 2018
Congratulations jokhas.

I stay in Melbourne and have no idea about accomodation in Sydney.

Hopefully someone can help

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by olumuyiwaoke(f): 9:23am On May 11, 2018
@jokhas why the preference for Sydney ? just asking ooo....

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Mikey(m): 10:28am On May 11, 2018
bellong:

If the tourist visa covers your family, you are free to bring them along for the holiday.

I meant I’m here on a temporary residence visa which covers just me but want my family back in Nig to come visit me here in Au
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 11:33am On May 11, 2018
Mikey:

I meant I’m here on a temporary residence visa which covers just me but want my family back in Nig to come visit me here in Au

Yes, they can visit as long as your visa remains valid.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jokhas: 11:34am On May 11, 2018
olumuyiwaoke:
@jokhas why the preference for Sydney ? just asking ooo....

Boss,

After careful research on the places that my skills are readily required and job available, I prefer to first start the hunt in Sydney and if required might move out.

Its important you know that I am into Construction and I see a lot of job advert for my role in Sydney or Melbourne.

Lastly, Baba I don buy one -way ticket to Sydney.

Thank you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by obi24(f): 12:11pm On May 11, 2018
tyosho:

I would strongly suggest that you bring as much food items as you can from Nigeria.Especially items like dried fish,egusi,ogbono,seasonings ,spices etc.Just make sure they are properly labeled(in transparent zip lock bags preferably)and without any pests.Dont worry about Garri,poundo yam,semo etc.They are available here though slightly expensive but affordable.

Potatoes are cheap,plantains are available but very expensive(if you ask me).I fry lady finger bananas instead and it”s just fine.There”s frozen plantain too but I have never bought it.

Yams are seasonal.It comes around once a year and this is the season.I have paid for 80kg worth which I intend to freeze and hopefully use until next year.The last time I had yams was like Aug last year so I’m not making that mistake again and buying in bulk this time.

Someone told me where to get frozen yams too but I have never tried to.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Tanks @Tyosho.Must we grind the food stuff like stockfish, crayfish, Egusi and Ogbono or should i just package it wella on a zip lock bag without grinding them. Also are packets of maggi allowed to come in?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 11, 2018
@Jokhas

Congratulation. May the Land favour you

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tyosho: 3:38pm On May 11, 2018
obi24:

Tanks @Tyosho.Must we grind the food stuff like stockfish, crayfish, Egusi and Ogbono or should i just package it wella on a zip lock bag without grinding them. Also are packets of maggi allowed to come in?

Maggi is allowed to come in.Blend the egusi and co but there’s no need to blend the dry fish.Just make sure they are well dried and then frozen.
As a complete wellness check smiley,hit the fish gently on a hard surface so all insects can fall out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by obi24(f): 4:08pm On May 11, 2018
tyosho:

Maggi is allowed to come in.Blend the egusi and co but there’s no need to blend the dry fish.Just make sure they are well dried and then frozen.
As a complete wellness check smiley,hit the fish gently on a hard surface so all insects can fall out.

Ok....Thanks for the info.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mamajaz(f): 1:22pm On May 12, 2018
jokhas, congrats bro. Safe trip and blessed stay.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by kessel: 3:54pm On May 12, 2018
Hi bellong
Learnt from here that you are currently in Adelaide.
What's life over there like when compared to other city, also what school are you in, I got admission with flinders uni and also awaiting my grant. I PMed you.
bellong:

Yes, they can visit as long as your visa remains valid.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Michaelamo: 5:23pm On May 12, 2018
Jokhas:

Lastly, Baba I don buy one -way ticket to Sydney.

Thank you

Congratulations Boss. Please what's the cost of the ticket and which airline did you use?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 8:12pm On May 12, 2018
Any one familiar with the entertainment (standup comedy type of thing) landscape in Sydney or Melbourne? I've got me a veteran of the game, looking to do his thing. Is there a market for it, especially within the Nigerian community? First show will be free. Any ideas or pointers?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jokhas: 6:36am On May 13, 2018
tyosho:
Congratulations jokhas.

tyosho:
Congratulations jokhas.

Okies!

Thank you

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jokhas: 6:38am On May 13, 2018
bellong:
@Jokhas,

Congratulations on your grant.

I live in Adelaide, South Australia, it is about 16hours drive to Sydney.

Hopefully someone living in Sydney can be of help to you.

Ok

Thank you Superman
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jokhas: 6:41am On May 13, 2018
Michaelamo:

Congratulations Boss. Please what's the cost of the ticket and which airline did you use?

Chairman,

I tried using IOM after following this blog but alas they were taking more than forever to get back, after which their flight date didn’t match my plan at all.....

I ended up using vayama.com its EgyptAir with 2stops one way ticket and it’s $1,009.80, hope this pans out fine.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Michaelamo: 9:31am On May 13, 2018
Jokhas:

Chairman,

I tried using IOM after following this blog but alas they were taking more than forever to get back, after which their flight date didn’t match my plan at all.....

I ended up using vayama.com its EgyptAir with 2stops one way ticket and it’s $1,009.80, hope this pans out fine.

Thank you

This one sure na, is like this IOM too dey take time... Bro I will send you a pm make we yarn on the matter small. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 12:55pm On May 13, 2018
aussy4life:
Hi Guys,

Am trying to open a NAB account from Naija and i came across this questions(Are you a resident of any other country for tax purposes?) yes or No , when i click yes it took me to another page with this (ou've indicated that you're a resident of one or more countries other than Australia and the U.S.) Do you have a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) for this country? Should I to just click No and move on?

And for Commonwealth Bank no place to add our naija number or country.

Please someone should come to my rescue.

I believe it's now a requirement for opening a new account in Australia.

Q: Are you a resident of any other country for tax purposes?
A: YES (if you will still be earning income in Nigeria while in Australia or if you hold investments in Nigeria)

Explanation: Once you become a PR( and actually move to live in Australia permanently ) or the ATO (Australian Tax Office) classifies you as an Australian resident for tax purposes, you are taxed on all your worldwide income. You are expected to declare your income worldwide (Most immigrants don't declare actually grin cheesy ). For some countries, ATO exchanges information on taxes so if they have reasons to believe that you are earning income outside of Australia then you can be audited. Most importantly, it helps to prevent double taxation by the tax authorities of both countries where you pay taxes. ATO discounts taxes already paid in Nigeria while calculating your tax for the year. You may get a tax offset if you're paying more than necessary or extra tax if rate used in Naija is lower than your Aussie rate for that year. Nigeria has no such treaty with Australia for now. Tomorrow??

A: NO (if you are cutting all financial/investment ties with Nigeria).
Explanation: In this case, you wouldn't be having any reasons to pay taxes in Nigeria. For example taxes from rental properties, dividend income, capital gains etc will be non-existent. ATO will tax your Australian income only at your prevailing tax rate for that financial year.

Q: Do you have a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) for this country?
A: Provide your TIN if you have it.

Please note that you might be asked to explain inflows into your Aussie account from overseas in any case after you are deemed an "Australian Resident for tax purposes" (and only if you are being audited).

I went into detail so you would know the legal implication of whichever answer you decide to provide.
Disclaimer: This is my understanding of the legal tax requirement in Australia. Do Your Own Research.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by babylappy(f): 1:28pm On May 13, 2018
[quote author=babylappy post=67454906][/quote]
Hello.
I want to relocate to Australia with my family what is the best way is to go about it. Family of for.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by babylappy(f): 1:28pm On May 13, 2018
Hello.
I want to relocate to Australia with my family what is the best way is to go about it. Family of for.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 1:29pm On May 13, 2018
FBS:
Any one familiar with the entertainment (standup comedy type of thing) landscape in Sydney or Melbourne? I've got me a veteran of the game, looking to do his thing. Is there a market for it, especially within the Nigerian community? First show will be free. Any ideas or pointers?

LOL. Nigerian community dey? I am not sure if there's a market for it. It would have been easy if there was a strong Nigerian (or African) community that meets or communicates regularly. Information circulation for such shows would have been much easier.

However, anyone can pull anything off. Your friend has started well by conducting a market assessment. He should probably locate where there is a concentration of his target market (prolly include other africans). Get boots on the ground to guage their appetite for such shows. Is he a resident? What's the cost implication of testing the market? He could have the first mover advantage if he is able to pull it off. But you must understand this is not London or Paris or New York that have matured markets for things like this. Even Davido or Whizkid won't just hop on a plane to Sydney. cheesy grin

Disclaimer: This is a personal opinion from someone who is new in Sydney and is not into entertainment. wink

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jokhas: 2:43pm On May 13, 2018
Omooloriredade:

LOL. Nigerian community dey? I am not sure if there's a market for it. It would have been easy if there was a strong Nigerian (or African) community that meets or communicates regularly. Information circulation for such shows would have been much easier.

However, anyone can pull anything off. Your friend has started well by conducting a market assessment. He should probably locate where there is a concentration of his target market (prolly include other africans). Get boots on the ground to guage their appetite for such shows. Is he a resident? What's the cost implication of testing the market? He could have the first mover advantage if he is able to pull it off. But you must understand this is not London or Paris or New York that have matured markets for things like this. Even Davido or Whizkid won't just hop on a plane to Sydney. cheesy grin

Disclaimer: This is a personal opinion from someone who is new in Sydney and is not into entertainment. wink

Brother man,

Am coming in soon to Sydney, if you reside there can you please help sort me out!!! Payment not an issue at all for me!

Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by babylappy(f): 5:18pm On May 13, 2018
tyosho:

I don't know about IT scenario but I'm in a what's app group with some Indians and they constantly post openings.Someone who's in the core of that field will have a better response
Hi, am a French graduate with about 8 years of work experience. Age 33 .My wife studied computer science with 3 kids. My wife's age 25. Whats my fate in Australia? In terms of getting a good job and settling down to earn and make a living. How do I go about the entire process? And please how long does it take?

What are the things I should also do to start?
Thanking you in anticipation to your Swift response.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by babylappy(f): 5:22pm On May 13, 2018
bellong:
Departure

I initially planned to book my ticket with IOM but I couldn't get the package I wanted, I had to book through a travel agent friend. I wanted to first travel to Turkey for one week before continuing the journey to Australia. I got the ticket I wanted at a cheaper price to what IOM would have offered me for the direct flight.

I left Lagos in May 2015 via Egypt airlines for Istanbul, Turkey. There was a 9 hour stop over in Cairo, the airline lodged us in their 4 star hotel till the next flight. I continued from Cairo to Istanbul. I spent one week in Turkey to pay a visit to old friends before leaving from Istanbul to Dubai with Emirates airline on the same ticket from Lagos.

On the day I was leaving from Istanbul, the airport was very very busy as we had to queue for taxi for about 35 minutes. The pilot showed us the long queue via the onboard screen. Due to this delay at Istanbul airport, we didn't arrive Dubai on time for my connecting flight. Therefore, Emirates airline had no choice but to lodge me in their hotel. The next flight was in about 28 hours. This gave me the opportunity to tour Dubai city and still had enough rest. It was only unfortunate that the Emirate's staff in Dubai didn't allow me to go free with my excess baggage I managed to get through from Istanbul sad lipsrsealed

The next day arrived for my flight from Dubai to Adelaide......

Arrival

I declared everything I came with on the immigration card, I had no issues with customs but was picked out for immigration drilling and questioning. It was a friendly questioning anyway but thorough. I didn't understand why until after spending some days listening to news I understood why I was singled out.

The time I arrived coincided with the period when many Australians of Middle Eastern extractions were leaving Australia through Turkey to join ISIL. The immigration officer was concerned on why I had to first go to Turkey before coming to Australia when I have a PR. The thinking was maybe I am a recruiter for ISIL or went to Turkey to get package for local contact etc. After giving convincing answers to all the questions asked, I was allowed to go.

Lessons: You can get good travel/ticket deal aside IOM if you are not doing a direct flight. In addition, you can enjoy two four start hotel like I did in the same ticket cheesy smiley

Look well, compare ticket prices around and don't forget other factors like baggage allowance, comfort, stop over and if you will be lodged. Let it be confirmed that there will be hotel accommodation for stop over more than 7 hours before committing to pay.

At the immigration entry point, when singled out for questioning, don't fidget. Answer all questions with confidence, be sure of what you are saying and be consistent. Don't give unsolicited answers, only answer the questions you are asked. Be friendly, firm and relaxed while answering. Remember that they are only doing their job in keeping the integrity of the border.

To be continued later..
Hi, am a French graduate with about 8 years of work experience. Age 33 .My wife studied computer science with 3 kids. My wife's age 25. Whats my fate in Australia? In terms of getting a good job and settling down to earn and make a living. How do I go about the entire process? And please how long does it take?

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by babylappy(f): 5:24pm On May 13, 2018
tyosho:

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 13, 2018
babylappy:

Refer to this
https://www.nairaland.com/4478747/diy-guide-australian-permanent-resident

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by dustydee: 6:36pm On May 13, 2018
babylappy:

Are you a lesbian? You could claim asylum since your profile says you are female and you have a wife wink

11 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by babylappy(f): 9:06pm On May 13, 2018
dustydee:

Are you a lesbian? You could claim asylum since your profile says you are female and you have a wife wink
Am only sending this on behalf of my husband who is currently indisposed.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by babylappy(f): 10:23pm On May 13, 2018
tyosho:
Congratulations jokhas.

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

Viewing this topic: Abdulquadrimuha(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.