Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,139 members, 7,807,454 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (548636 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Alphadoor: 11:36am On Sep 21, 2018
I have waited so long to comment on this thread..

Please do they allow chewing stick (Pako) grin grin grin grin

also i heard that the Ewedu (jew's mallow) in Aussie is 7feet tall grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jayooh: 12:13pm On Sep 21, 2018
Alphadoor:
I have waited so long to comment on this thread..

Please do they allow chewing stick (Pako) grin grin grin grin

also i heard that the Ewedu (jew's mallow) in Aussie is 7feet tall grin grin grin

I understand how e deh do you.

To answer your questions sha,

Pako is allowed but make sure it's properly dried, if possible let's it be smoked to avoid any vegetative growth if not, na quarantine get am. grin grin grin
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by pedi(m): 8:06pm On Sep 21, 2018
debsty:
Hello all,

Nice to be here to talk about experiences of living in Oz. Tyosho has done some real justice to much of the areas. I will just chip in some bits from a NSW (Sydney)perspective .

Housing: Rent in Sydney is quite expensive, though depending on where you stay, you might get some cheaper deals. In a month , it could be as high as half of your monthly wages excluding other small bills. The only good news is that the further you are from the city, the cheaper it is for you. Talking about my experience, I decided to come in first on my own before bringing in family and I think it worked fine for me. I got a shared apartment close to the city and paid about 250 per week for a small room. It was just me so I didnt mind. Used the opportunity to research the different areas. I finally settled for one in the MacArthur region , about 54km from the city...about 1hr train ride from the city. I didnt mind the commute , as I use the time to do other things. In this area , houses , apartment are cheaper and you have more open spaces and parks for children to play. Applying for a house through an agent is another story altogether which I know would be dealt with in this thread.

Transportation : Everyone in OZ would always tell you to get a car as a necessity. Everywhere is far from each other. You can manage with bus waiting times and walking to train stations for a while but as time goes on, you would definitely need to get one. Depending on what you want , car prices are not bad . I know someone that got a Camry pencil light for just $600 with little or no issue. Just some paintwork needed but that's based on preference. If working in the city, the train is your best bet, however if working in the suburbs...a car is needed. In NSW, you can use your naija licence for only 3 months, after that , you become a learner. Dont know about Victoria , but NSW test is usually difficult , its a rule that they don't pass you the first time and one little wrong move , its failure. I got it at my third attempt grin .

Other experiences still to come depending on what people want to know.

@ Bellong, I have always wanted to say thank you to you for your help during my application journey, sometimes in 2015. Greatly appreciated.

Baba i twalee ooo,abeg i have and Australian who leave in Victoria and what me to come and leave there,the issue now is i don't no which typed of visa ti apply, or getting a job there and apply for employers sponsor visa,if am applying foe pr i will needto be nominated by a state and furthermore need to take IELST ot toef,if you have alternative pls help

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Emmabogs: 5:25pm On Sep 22, 2018
hello my people,

Please, i need some clarifications on the below issue;

During registration with centrelink, medicare, opening of bank accounts e.t.c. i want to believe that Aussie address details is usually required, does providing a temporary address (temporary 'cos i'm looking at getting a short stay apartment through airbnb while i hunt for accommodation) sufficient for this purpose? cos i will want to proceed for these registrations immediately i touch land sydney.

Please oga's in the house your responses is highly needed.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by saheedom: 8:30am On Sep 23, 2018
suurutu:

I hope you are not a holder of a Nigerian passport, as Nigerians are not eligible for this type of Visa. Beware of scammers.
I just got Australia visa (subclass 651)granted 1yr but am skied of using it to travel and the agent promise to write undertaken if any embarrassment occur,please can go ahead and buy ticket please house help me out on this issue.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by manga5: 1:09pm On Sep 23, 2018
saheedom:
I just got Australia visa (subclass 651)granted 1yr but am skied of using it to travel and the agent promise to write undertaken if any embarrassment occur,please can go ahead and buy ticket please house help me out on this issue.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/651-?tab=1&heading=who-could-get-this-visa#
You are a learned person, please try and read the above link. What you are carrying is a fake visa because Nigeria is not part of the eligible country. What kind of undertaken does a bloody agent want to give you? A word is enough for the wise. Abeg make una no give us bad name.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by momamorgz(f): 10:46pm On Sep 23, 2018
Please any Tasmania resident in the house.
jayooh:
Any Tasmania resident in the house please?

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by debsty(m): 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2018
Baba i twalee ooo,abeg i have and Australian who leave in Victoria and what me to come and leave there,the issue now is i don't no which typed of visa ti apply, or getting a job there and apply for employers sponsor visa,if am applying foe pr i will needto be nominated by a state and furthermore need to take IELST ot toef,if you have alternative pls help[/quote]

Hello Pedi,

Aside the PR process which allows you to obtain the PR visa and lets you live and work in Australia, the only other way people go through is come in on a student visa , trying as much as possible to align their studies to occupations on the list. So after studying, they then apply for the PR visa.

Apart from these two routes, I don't think there is any other way to live and work in Australia. Except if maybe you are married to an Australian citizen , which of course would be a different situation.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by pedi(m): 5:51pm On Sep 24, 2018
debsty:
Baba i twalee ooo,abeg i have and Australian who leave in Victoria and what me to come and leave there,the issue now is i don't no which typed of visa ti apply, or getting a job there and apply for employers sponsor visa,if am applying foe pr i will needto be nominated by a state and furthermore need to take IELST ot toef,if you have alternative pls help

Hello Pedi,

Aside the PR process which allows you to obtain the PR visa and lets you live and work in Australia, the only other way people go through is come in on a student visa , trying as much as possible to align their studies to occupations on the list. So after studying, they then apply for the PR visa.

Apart from these two routes, I don't think there is any other way to live and work in Australia. Except if maybe you are married to an Australian citizen , which of course would be a different situation.

Cheers.

Thank bro.going as student will warrant me to show that i can sustain my self and pay my fee,and also will need to show prove of admition giving to me,am already done with my studies down here
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ideamaster(m): 11:08pm On Sep 25, 2018
Emmabogs:
hello my people,

Please, i need some clarifications on the below issue;

During registration with centrelink, medicare, opening of bank accounts e.t.c. i want to believe that Aussie address details is usually required, does providing a temporary address (temporary 'cos i'm looking at getting a short stay apartment through airbnb while i hunt for accommodation) sufficient for this purpose? cos i will want to proceed for these registrations immediately i touch land sydney.

Please oga's in the house your responses is highly needed.

I haven't done centrelink or Medicare. But considering things like opening a bank account, registering your phone line, buying/transferring a car to your name, you may need proof of address, sometimes, which you can easily get from your airbnb host.

Keep track of everywhere you use that address as they would start sending mails to that house. When you get your own place, update all the addresses. And then keep in touch with your host so you can check for or ask if there are any mails for you. Your ATM card would have already been processed to the temporary address so you need to keep an eye out for things like that.

The bosses would comment on the other areas.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bushman404: 3:57pm On Sep 26, 2018
Hello house can some please help me out with this process please thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ogbevireo(m): 11:15pm On Sep 26, 2018
bushman404:
Hello house can some please help me out with this process please thanks
get on the thread in the link below.
https://www.nairaland.com/4478747/diy-guide-australian-permanent-resident
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by MYLYN(f): 6:42pm On Sep 27, 2018
Good evening all I'll be in Aussie in a month. I was hoping if anyone can put me up for at least a week while I search for an accommodation or anyone who can help with accomodattion should please PM me.
God bless.

Gender _Female...City...Sydney.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 1:34am On Sep 28, 2018
MYLYN:
Good evening all I'll be in Aussie in a month. I was hoping if anyone can put me up for at least a week while I search for an accommodation or anyone who can help with accomodattion should please PM me.
God bless.

Gender _Female...City...Sydney.

Are you a student or permanent migrant?

Which area in Sydney is your business?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by symbian03(m): 7:23am On Sep 28, 2018
chidike:

I do agree with you, I have been reading a lot about what's happening with the South Sudanese, and believe it or not I'm sure we're all the same to the Australians...Black. But I would much rather be in a place where there isn't a problem than an area with such issues. I was in Melbourne a few months ago, was even in Footscray and I liked how diverse it was, and I didn't feel unsafe or had any unpleasant encounters, I know the media is blowing it out of proportion to push an agenda, but it is what it is, better to be safe than sorry.

You’re right. Some Australians can differentiate a Sudo from other Africans but unfortunately, the majority of Aussies would stereotype you in Melbourne until you prove to them how different you are. I won’t totally blame them to be honest, those Sudos are not a good face of Africa. My advise to you is to move to Melbourne temporarily to test the water, otherwise move to the Sunshine state,. Good luck bro
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by MYLYN(f): 8:36am On Sep 28, 2018
bellong:

Are you a student or permanent migrant?

Which area in Sydney is your business?

Student....

Sent yiu a pm
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Emmabogs: 4:08am On Sep 29, 2018
ideamaster:

I haven't done centrelink or Medicare. But considering things like opening a bank account, registering your phone line, buying/transferring a car to your name, you may need proof of address, sometimes, which you can easily get from your airbnb host.

Keep track of everywhere you use that address as they would start sending mails to that house. When you get your own place, update all the addresses. And then keep in touch with your host so you can check for or ask if there are any mails for you. Your ATM card would have already been processed to the temporary address so you need to keep an eye out for things like that.

The bosses would comment on the other areas.

Thank you for your response.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by snowlordng(m): 7:04am On Sep 29, 2018
MYLYN:

Student....

Sent yiu a pm
pls dear can I get your contact ...I wanna discuss important stuff about how you gt your student visa.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by folashade3272(f): 7:45am On Sep 30, 2018
Guru in the house help..

My uncle own a company in lagos , he has been paying 350k to my account since May 2018 as form of salary because am self employed in Ogun state. I have 3,7m in saving account which is also my salary account now and 4m on fixed account. I have employment letter from his company stating am the IT manager, leave of absent for 5month, confirmation of employment and company payslip all on company letterhead and stamped. I have a landed property agreement of 3.5m stamped and sign by registered lawyer with land plan. I want to ask if the documents are OK to apply to Australia to visit my husband which is currently doing masters.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 10:08am On Sep 30, 2018
A few interesting months in Ozzy Land. Not with the Game of Thron-ish kind of politics, yesterday's nail biting AFL Grand Final and tonight's NRL Grand final. Make I grab my popcorn ready. grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by manga5: 3:45pm On Sep 30, 2018
folashade3272:
Guru in the house help..

My uncle own a company in lagos , he has been paying 350k to my account since May 2018 as form of salary because am self employed in Ogun state. I have 3,7m in saving account which is also my salary account now and 4m on fixed account. I have employment letter from his company stating am the IT manager, leave of absent for 5month, confirmation of employment and company payslip all on company letterhead and stamped. I have a landed property agreement of 3.5m stamped and sign by registered lawyer with land plan. I want to ask if the documents are OK to apply to Australia to visit my husband which is currently doing masters.
More than enough. You are good to go.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 30, 2018
@Tyosho please how much do you pay for kindergarten I have almost two year old and what time do they resume and close on the average.

I may settle at Melbourne.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 4:33pm On Sep 30, 2018
wapu:
please how much do you pay for kindergarten I have almost two year old and what time do they resume and close on the average.

I may settle at Melbourne.

Your child can only start kindergarten at 4. Your two year old will be attending child care. It is between $85-120/day depending on area.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 30, 2018
bellong:

Your child can only start kindergarten at 4. Your two year old will be attending child care. It is between $85-120/day depending on area.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 30, 2018
bellong:

wapu:

Thanks a lot.
$85-120/day for childcare or kindergarten? Australia is just too damn too expensive!
Online workers will not enjoy the place mehn.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Mcslize: 11:38pm On Sep 30, 2018
bellong:

Mr belong, I guess u wanted to type per month or is it truly per day?

Cuz I am wondering how much one will earn to be paying $85 daily for child care (which in essence pile up to $2550/month).

That's quite on the high side. Except if child care is being subsidized in Aussie.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 11:43pm On Sep 30, 2018
Mcslize:

Mr belong, I guess u wanted to type per month or is it truly per day?

Cuz I am wondering how much one will earn to be paying $85 daily for child care (which in essence pile up to $2550/month).

That's quite on the high side.

It is per day. Child care is subsidised by the government for citizens and permanent residents. Depending on your family's gross income, you might end up paying only about $30-60/day for the child care.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by obi24(f): 6:18am On Oct 01, 2018
@ bellong, pls what's the average cost of kindy in adelaide per day ( from 4 years).Thanks.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 6:37am On Oct 01, 2018
obi24:
@ bellong, pls what's the average cost of kindy in adelaide per day ( from 4 years).Thanks.

Kindy is not paid per day except in private centres. Kindy is paid per term. Between $100-300/term depending on the kindy.

Government policies do not allow 4yr Olds to engage in academic activities for more than 30hrs/fortnight. What that means is that your child can only attend kindy for 5 days in fortnight in government owned kindy. Kindy times is usually between 08:45-3pm.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by matuskyoo7(m): 10:36am On Oct 01, 2018
Plse i need urgent and sincere answer..
(1) can i get a work visa to Australia from naija.. I mean direct work
(2) what is the category of the visa that will be issued for direct work visa
(3) can visa be authenticated in naija before travelling if the visa is done tru an agent, and how?
(4) what is the cost of flight ticket
(5) and other land cost at the air port
(6) what will be my bta, and is it always verified
Thank you all.. Plse am wating for answers
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 2:04pm On Oct 01, 2018
bellong:

Wow!! Just Wow...
That is to say; if you observe what's up wella, you might be considering inviting you Mother for holidays and put a script infront of your house that says;
Child Care Home grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.