Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,772 members, 7,798,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (547465 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Prolivingproof(m): 10:03am On Nov 20, 2018
Alphadoor:
Touchdown:
Nov 7th, Immigration was a breeze, they only asked for yellow card,Passport and grant letter. the only food item seized was my sweet fried snail sad.
below is the list of my permitted foodstuff and everything was packed in transparent zip lock bags with labels on it

Garri.
Crayfish (grinded)
Pepper soup spice
Panla (stockfish)
Shea butter
Coconut oil (frozen)
Smoked catfish
Smoked shawa/agbodo/bonga fish ( peeled, no head)
Chilli pepper (ata gigun)
Cassava flour (Amala white)
Yam flour (Amala black)
Potash (koun)
Melon (egusi)
Water leave (sun dried)
seeds are not allowed
Ugwu Leaves aka pumpkin ( diced and sun dried)
Pap (compressed to dry)
Maggie cubes
Tomato paste
Herbs ( powdered and sun dried the fresh ones)
Drugs ( over the counter ones.. paracetamol, cough syrup (no codeine), Robb, non prescription pain killers, drugs for kids if you have one, no malaria or typhoid drugs (treat before you move)

Emirates had delayed my baby car seat luggage, my pickup car could not carry my baby, had to breeze down to a store and fork out AUD200 for a new one. the other option is to call the cab company to send a cab with baby seats (this is something I discovered much later).
INITIAL ACCOMMODATION:
I had booked an Airbnb with high proximity to the CBD for two weeks before arrival, this made it easy for me to get around and hit the ground running.
NETWORKING:
I reached out to everyone I know in Australia and the support was and is still quite overwhelming,
via phone: bellong, vinsmuft,misoke,yeeshas,tosin, mctowel,olalekankd
In person: zoew, doyen06, bnimz, jamson, iceberg54.
I don't want to bore you with all the details of meet but it was awesome from ice cold coffee to pure blondes and burgers .......hahahahahaa
GETTING A JOB
On the 9th, I attended my 1st face to face interview which was I was lucky to lockdown b4 arrival, because I had starting pushing my CV in Nigeria about 2 weeks to arrival.once I updated my CV with Australian number on arrival, I had more calls from recruiters Friday for potential opportunities.
(Just to say it lightly, I owe much thanks to doyen06 for the excellent tips and strategies that led up to this)
By Monday 12th, I was invited for a follow up interview on Tuesday morning, and b4 end of day, I got an offer letter for the position. Oluwa lose oooo.. It was a Full time and permanent role with nice perks.
The week was pretty much overwhelming with calls and I got other casual/ temporary offers too but I decided to stick with the Permanent role.

PERMANENT ACCOMMODATION
getting a house here is like telemarketing, no be beans but its fun and interesting.
Most inspections happen on weekends and so many apartments of interest usually have clashing inspection times and each open house usually lasts for 15 mins and you better not miss it (no African time here ooo). I checked houses in Liverpool, Strathfield, lindfied but decided to settle for a two West Ryde due to proximity to work.
Thanks to Bnimz for the lovely tour of Liverpool, I love the communal feel the suburb has to offer and everything you need is just a walk away.
There are various mobile apps to help with rentals and inspection booking. Most common : tenantapp, 2book. com. au and domain. com .au mobile apps to schedule inspection.
It may save you some energy to fill your rental profile from offshore with 1form and t-app for submission of rental application . ( the form long pass river Niger)

Getting Around:
It's very easy to get around easy with the trains and buses but it makes the journey longer due to many stops. Google maps, Opal mobile app, Tripview Lite, caters for the all the information required on the routes, buses, trains,ferry and brooms. I have survived so far without a car but it sure makes journey easier and shorter. Funny thing here is that most office in the sydney CBD no get car park, so no point bringing car to work except you have the about 40 dollar a day to fork out.
I must say the transport system in Sydney needs some improvement as seen in singapore,Uk, tokyo and japan.
I heard Melbourne has the best in Australia, very connected and faster commute time.
Everything here is on the clock. Calendar and Alarm na your friend

Biggest culture shock for me is the high level of politeness from everyone I have met so far.

Pls ignore the typos and grammatical errors,
To be continued....................................

Since nairaland wont allow me upload so many pictures, so here is an online gallery link for you to feed ya eyes.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/143644955@N02/
or just search for alphadoor on [url]flickr.com[/url]

#COTERIE
#EFMNG
#WTFMNG
#WKPS
Thanks @Alphadoor for the update, it's encouraging. May God be with you and family in your new country.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by suigeneris2(f): 2:24pm On Nov 20, 2018
bellong:

You have to be registered with ANMAC before you can get positive assessment for PR application.

There are two ways people go about it;

1. Follow through the registration process from Nigeria. This is a very long process.

2. Go on student visa by applying for the graduate entry nursing. It is about 18 months program. after the program, you can be registered with ANMAC and then PR.

Irrespective of the pathway you follow, having at least 7 in each band for IELTS is a must.

Thank you brother. God bless you. How about coming in with visa subclass 489....can it eventually lead to PR?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jimikata(m): 2:40pm On Nov 20, 2018
Good day everyone, please shed more light on Australia sub class 186 visa. An agent want to process this class of visa for me on a sponsorship deal.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jimikata(m): 2:40pm On Nov 20, 2018
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ogbevireo(m): 3:12pm On Nov 20, 2018
suigeneris2:

Thank you brother. God bless you. How about coming in with visa subclass 489....can it eventually lead to PR?

Yes subclass 489 will eventually lead to a PR.

see link for more details.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ogbevireo(m): 3:22pm On Nov 20, 2018
jimikata:
Good day everyone,
please shed more light on Australia sub class 186 visa.
An agent want to process this class of visa for me on a sponsorship deal.

CAVEAT
Always scrutinise anything to do with agent as regards traveling in Nigeria.

Take your time however to read up on the visa subclass and ask yourself if you ordinarily qualify for it.

If you do qualify, then you can go ahead but with the understanding that you do not part with a single kobo until you get the visa confirmed to be genuine.

see link below
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/employer-nomination-scheme-186
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by abimbola121(m): 10:34pm On Nov 20, 2018
I am also on the same boat with you , can we connect

jimikata:
Good day everyone,
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 2:23am On Nov 21, 2018
jimikata:
Good day everyone,
A little google about visa subclass 186 will clear your doubt, the visa is employer sponsor and the thing is have you gotten a job in Australia? Don't fall for cheap scam.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jimikata(m): 7:06am On Nov 21, 2018
[quote author=abimbola121 post=73155659]I am also on the same boat with you , can we connect Ok bro.
pm replied.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 11:18am On Nov 21, 2018
suigeneris2:

Yes 489 is a pathway to PR. However, as a nurse the process is not different whether 489, 289 or 190.

Are you married?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mamajaz(f): 1:28am On Nov 22, 2018
bellong:

You have to be registered with ANMAC before you can get positive assessment for PR application.

There are two ways people go about it;

1. Follow through the registration process from Nigeria. This is a very long process.

2. Go on student visa by applying for the graduate entry nursing. It is about 18 months program. after the program, you can be registered with ANMAC and then PR.

Irrespective of the pathway you follow, having at least 7 in each band for IELTS is a must.

...and to add to this chief, I just got to know that going through NZ is a lot easier than registering straight through Oz.
All applications are done online, the Competency assessment program (CAP) which is an equivalent of BP is just NZD 8500 far below Australia 18500 or 11800 in the minimum.
At the end of the day TransTasmania registration will make the person an Oz nurse within 24 hours.
Now, if I had known that 2 years ago, that's the reaaaaallllll chicken on the naija jellof rice.
Suigeneris can check out ambulance officer, residential care officer, disability care officer, health promotion officer, care centre manager etc while weighing all alternatives for 489, Or: Trades, or let your spouse try his/ her luck if you aren't both nurses.
Good morning to all, thanks to bnimz for making Alphadoor's entrance smooth.
Lemme go back to bed again.
...and errmmmm lest I forget, you may decide passing through the Uk to Oz, now that UK is hard hit by brexit, and they are feeling the heat , plus lack of health care workers is eating them up, do IELTS, do CBT, work in the UK, then head for Australia.
Now, don't let too much knowledge spoil my head like bro Paul of the holy book.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by firpemi(f): 10:39am On Nov 22, 2018
people in Sydney, how is the giant dust hope its not something unbearable. please keep safe

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jayooh: 10:41am On Nov 22, 2018
Alphadoor:
Hey Sydney folks.

Anyone around camperdown willing to grab a latte or a beer. pls holla @ me

Lets break the norm of going silent once on ground..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets connect

This big man. Cheers
I'm in brisbane now

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by peeps4u: 1:58pm On Nov 22, 2018
Hello learned people of Nigeria/Australia, please how possibly could one have this kind of offer?
Could one secure subclass 190 visa without IELT or any test of English?
Can employer grant nomination without Skype or any form of interview?

Shona7439:
Robert man in Malaysia said: "be bold when you see opportunities, if you are afraid, you will never get rich".* DON'T MISS THESE GOLDEN OPPORTUNITIES.

*From Shona 08102879254 (FIELD OFFICER)*

@ ELLAS-IBUKUN NIG LIMITED, we get you very good jobs in Australia, we
pay for your Visa, ticket & a week hotel accommodation in Australia.
@ ELLAS-IBUKUN NIG LIMITED, we assist contractors by providing the
fund they need to execute contracts timely & successfully.
@ ELLAS-IBUKUN NIG LIMITED, we fund viable & feasible ideas.
*Contact Shona, the Field officer
(08102879254)*

*HOW THE AUSTRALIA EMPLOYMENT WORKS:*

*STEPS TO TAKE*
(1) Get international passport (with at least 2 years left before expiration).

(2) Get medical report from a government hospital.

(3) Pay 62k to us in our office.
After 21 working days of payment, you get a good job + employment letter.

(4) After four months of getting employment letter, start working in Australia

(5) Remember: Our company will pay your VISA, TICKET, a week hotel lodging in Australia. *(That means we are spending a total of N2,045,000 on a single applicant).

*HOW TO PAY THE COMPANY BACK*
(a) Within the first 8 days of getting to Australia, you will return 5% of the total amount we spend on you. This 5% is around N102, 231
(b) Then, starting from the second month, you will pay monthly instalment of around N194, 240. A low-level worker will be able to finish paying us within TEN months.
(c) High level workers like ND, HND, BSC or skilled artisans should be able to finish paying within FOUR months.
(d) For low-level worker, minimum wage is au. $19 per hour.
(e) A low-level worker will be earning around N600,000 per month. *With this, he/she can conveniently pay our monthly instalment of N194, 240*

(f) The total amount we spend on each applicant is approximately *N2,045,000*

*Contact the field officer ...
Shona 08102879254

Here is the thread.
Thanks.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by rinzylee(m): 2:55pm On Nov 22, 2018
mamajaz:

...and to add to this chief, I just got to know that going through NZ is a lot easier than registering straight through Oz.
All applications are done online, the Competency assessment program (CAP) which is an equivalent of BP is just NZD 8500 far below Australia 18500 or 11800 in the minimum.
At the end of the day TransTasmania registration will make the person an Oz nurse within 24 hours.
Now, if I had known that 2 years ago, that's the reaaaaallllll chicken on the naija jellof rice.
Suigeneris can check out ambulance officer, residential care officer, disability care officer, health promotion officer, care centre manager etc while weighing all alternatives for 489, Or: Trades, or let your spouse try his/ her luck if you aren't both nurses.
Good morning to all, thanks to bnimz for making Alphadoor's entrance smooth.
Lemme go back to bed again.
...and errmmmm lest I forget, you may decide passing through the Uk to Oz, now that UK is hard hit by brexit, and they are feeling the heat , plus lack of health care workers is eating them up, do IELTS, do CBT, work in the UK, then head for Australia.
Now, don't let too much knowledge spoil my head like bro Paul of the holy book.

You too much Mama..... Been a while o

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Creamychic(f): 7:47pm On Nov 22, 2018
peeps4u:
Hello learned people of Nigeria/Australia, please how possibly could one have this kind of offer?
Could one secure subclass 190 visa without IELT or any test of English?
Can employer grant nomination without Skype or any form of interview?

Here is the thread.
Thanks.

It's a big SCAM. Don't fall for it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Alphadoor: 1:48am On Nov 23, 2018
firpemi:
people in Sydney, how is the giant dust hope its not something unbearable. please keep safe

It wasn't so bad and it didn't last long from my own end.
I guess it was weak on arrival

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Alphadoor: 1:52am On Nov 23, 2018
jayooh:

This big man. Cheers
I'm in brisbane now

Enjoy the land bro.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jayooh: 2:03am On Nov 23, 2018
BTW, is there anyone in brisbane who'd like to meet up?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tomimy1: 2:34pm On Nov 23, 2018
please I have a very important question, does anyone here have an idea of what it takes to open up a company in Aussie. My husband runs his business here and is concerned about its continuity. please help me answer this.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by peeps4u: 4:17pm On Nov 23, 2018
tomimy1:
please I have a very important question, does anyone here have an idea of what it takes to open up a company in Aussie. My husband runs his business here and is concerned about its continuity. please help me answer this.

Cc bellong
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Emmabogs: 7:36pm On Nov 23, 2018
Alphadoor:
Touchdown:
Nov 7th, Immigration was a breeze, they only asked for yellow card,Passport and grant letter. the only food item seized was my sweet fried snail sad.

Congrats bro!!. This is encouraging.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Uniqueempress(f): 10:44pm On Nov 23, 2018
Hello,I hope this is the right thread for this question,but can someone please break down the various ways one can move to Australia please.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ogbevireo(m): 12:08am On Nov 24, 2018
Uniqueempress:
Hello,I hope this is the right thread for this question,but can someone please break down the various ways one can move to Australia please.

Get on this other thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/4478747/diy-guide-australian-permanent-resident

Start off from page one. You can also go through part one of the thread which is referenced in page one of the link above.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by komodapson(m): 5:19am On Nov 24, 2018
TadellNairaland:
Hello house.
What does it take for a Nigeria nurse with BNSc and MSc (psychiatric Nursing) to migrate to Australia and become a lecturer?
showww.....naso e easy...Nigeria nah America... Wey u ho jus' change nomenclature like that. Infact ure funny
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Emmabogs: 8:02am On Nov 24, 2018
Hello my fellow aussie fam. Please, i want to confirm if the yellow fever vaccination received by kids (2 to 4 years) during immunization is acceptable at the airport for travel purpose or must it be changed to yellow fever card at the port health?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zanyzara: 1:55pm On Nov 24, 2018
Emmabogs:
Hello my fellow aussie fam. Please, i want to confirm if the yellow fever vaccination received by kids (2 to 4 years) during immunization is acceptable at the airport for travel purpose or must it be changed to yellow fever card at the port health?

I would suggest you get a yellow card for all the family. The date they previously took the vaccination will be recorded. They now give a new e-yellow card that can be verified online @ www.yellowcardnigeria.com.

Zany.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zanyzara: 2:04pm On Nov 24, 2018
Alphadoor:
Touchdown:
Picks up a pen and paper, jots all the jottables cheesy

Thank you for this great exposé.

Zany.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 9:46am On Nov 26, 2018
Alphadoor:

Garri.
Crayfish (grinded)
Pepper soup spice
Panla (stockfish)
Shea butter
Coconut oil (frozen)
Smoked catfish
Smoked shawa/agbodo/bonga fish ( peeled, no head)
Chilli pepper (ata gigun)
Cassava flour (Amala white)
Yam flour (Amala black)
Potash (koun)
Melon (egusi)
Water leave (sun dried)
seeds are not allowed
Ugwu Leaves aka pumpkin ( diced and sun dried)
Pap (compressed to dry)
Maggie cubes
Tomato paste
Herbs ( powdered and sun dried the fresh ones)
Drugs ( over the counter ones.. paracetamol, cough syrup (no codeine), Robb, non prescription pain killers, drugs for kids if you have one, no malaria or typhoid drugs (treat before you mov

Awesome. Congratulations. Delay is not denial.

But wait o. What is it gan gan with you and food?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 10:24am On Nov 26, 2018
tomimy1:

Even though the nature of his business is not disclosed, I reckon it won't be a big deal registering his business still.

I guess he currently runs a 'personal' business and not a Pty limited company. If so, all he has to do is register his business as a Sole Trader and get an Australian Business Number (ABN). This is done online (as simple as ABC). A Sole Trader is the simplest business structure. You don't necessarily need to register an Australian Company Name (ACN). However, if you would be receiving payments from the public for services or sales, a Goods and Services Tax (GST) registration would be required too.

If he intends to register a Proprietary (Pty) Limited company, he is better off going through an accountant.

Worry not about registering a business here. It is simple as opening a yahoo, sorry gmail account. You may want to speak to a professional for more details and benefits operating a registered business in Australia. You may be able to claim a portion of your bills, depreciation of property used in the business as tax deductions.

Disclaimer: Please do your own research or seek professional advice.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 10:56pm On Nov 26, 2018
extraterestrial:

Check websites of the company you intend to work with for job openings. That is what I did

Nice one. I have actually met a good number of people who just applied for jobs from their home countries and are now working in Australia.
It is worth exploring that option if you're looking to emigrate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Paulson91: 9:39am On Nov 27, 2018
Goodmorning everyone here! Please has someone here migrated to Aussie through "subclass 407" Visa. Would love if you can enlighten me more about it, and does it lead to PR after your training. Warm regards...

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.