Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,281 members, 7,780,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:25 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (544977 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by afosahid: 12:00pm On Jun 17, 2019
In my experience here, these guys prefer people with local experience and certifications. So they prefer inspectors certified by Weld Australia and AICIP for in-service applications. They also recognise CSWIP a lot more than AWS here.

All that being said, your certifications are the least of your problems. Biggest hurdle is local experience & limited opportunities for your role, but its not impossible.

Suitable locations are Western Australia & Queensland.

Edet08:

Brotherly I greet you. Just a quick one. I’m working on relocating as well. I’m a QC welding inspector with AWS Certification. Are there good enough chances of getting an inspection job over there? Also, which state or province would you recommend I move to based on my career?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Edet08(m): 2:11pm On Jun 17, 2019
afosahid:
In my experience here, these guys prefer people with local experience and certifications. So they prefer inspectors certified by Weld Australia and AICIP for in-service applications. They also recognise CSWIP a lot more than AWS here.

All that being said, your certifications are the least of your problems. Biggest hurdle is local experience & limited opportunities for your role, but its not impossible.

Suitable locations are Western Australia & Queensland.

Thanks bro.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by maryannakwaugo: 7:51pm On Jun 18, 2019
I tell you ooo no be small not to be deceived by their smiles. Very good advise,best to just do your work and mind your biz oooo. That was same thing I was told once I got here and I later found out why...quote athor=afosahid post=77815726]Hi All,

I have been procrastinating this post for a while now glad I can finally come around and share my experience so far since we landed. I also believe it’s a good time to address a few comments about people going silent once they land onshore even though they benefited from experiences shared by others when they were offshore. Please understand that people are dealing with a lot of issues and trying to get their footing here. So it’s not a case of deliberately going silent. At least I can say that for myself. To the guys who have worked hard to keep the thread alive, you deserve some ACCOLADES! Thank you!

We departed MMA II 12th Dec 2018. Airport clearance was easy for us as my very close friend is a FAAN official. All protocols were easy, no one asked for a Naira. Flights were booked through IOM so we flew emirates. Destination Sydney and my friend, now brother, picked us up. We stayed at his place for a while before we got our apartment. We took our time though with the house search and got a really decent 2 bedroom apartment in Merrylands West (Western Sydney) for $375/week. Landlord/Agent was a little skeptic as we just arrived with no jobs at the time so they gave us a 3 months lease (Major blessing in disguise)

Got a car 2 weeks after arrival as moving about with the kids with public transport was quite hectic. We are a family of 4 by the way. So I advise you to get one if you can affford it on arrival. You can get something to move you around from $1500 upwards (whatever you can afford). If you can, try to buy a vehicle that still has good number of months valid registration on it and valid pink slip (e-safety check). That will save you some money. Although you still have to pay for transfer of ownership and insurance (Compulsory Third Party Insurance- CTP or green slip). While we are on this topic of vehicle, please ensure you come in with a valid drivers licence. For NSW PR holders you are only allowed to drive 3 months on your overseas licence after which you must get a NSW drivers license or stop driving. You could get away with driving until you get stopped by police. The fear of fines is the beginning of wisdom. If your overseas licence has been issued for more than 3 years then all you have to do is the DKT (driver knowledge test) and then the practical driving test and if you pass, you will be issued a full drivers licence (This is gold trust me). @alphadoor has shared some helpful links for apps and cost of obtaining your licences.
I got my licence within the 3 months limit so I advice you to go for it as soon as you can and don’t leave it for too long. It also helps you while applying for jobs. A lot of recruiters ask if you have an Australian drivers licence.

On arrival, I will also advice you get a government issued photo ID if you can afford it. It helps you with your 100 points ID when applying for a lot of things including rental applications.

Started searching for jobs a few days after landing. I was quite positive my experience was good enough to land me a role in no distant time. Fate had other plans. I apply tire. I was barely getting calls for interviews. I tried every trick in the book but the call backs were very few. My CV was good, my experience was quite relevant to a lot of the roles too. I had to pick up a warehouse role when he wan start to Dey RED. Did that for a month and was out on the market again. I apply taya. I write cover letter taya. I had different versions of my CV that suits different positions that were being advertised. Toned down my CV from 5 pages to 2 pages. For some applications, I had to cut down my years of experience from 9 to less than 5 years. Few call backs I got said they were impressed by my experience, but unfortunately, they needed someone with local Australian experience for the role.

Still kept pushing as there was no other choice. Had to pick up a construction role as bills no Dey wait naa. Only did that for 2 days though. Construction work na die for here grin. Please avoid by all means if you can. One of those days I was at my lowest, doing the construction job, I got a call from a recruiter from one of the largest engineering companies in Australia & NZ. You are not allowed to take calls on site. Make I no pick recruiter call Kuku kee me here. Picked up the call, and recruiter said he has seen my CV and my experience was really good, he fears I might be over qualified for the role he has? Overqualified wetin Oga please let me decide what roles I am over qualified for please!!!! Convinced him to get me an interview with the hiring manager and I won’t let him down. He called back again to ask if I was willing to relocate to a different city, Newcastle (still within NSW) for the job. I told him I was more than ready to relocate. Attended the interview and thankfully I got the job.

I had just a few weeks left on my lease in Sydney which was a massive blessing. Got an apartment in Newcastle and moved my family down. We are settling in fine here. It’s a lot more calm than Sydney and it’s not as expensive. Quicker to get around the city so we really like it here.

I broke my job hunting experience down in graphic details to give a good picture of some of the hurdles you’ll face when searching for a professional role after you just landed. Nothing will be handed down to you. Your CV is your 1st impression. There is big emphasis on keeping your CV brief and straight to the point here. Make targeted applications. One CV does not fit all jobs advertised in your role. Read the job descriptions and tailor your CV to suit. Here most companies use recruitment agencies. These agencies are in competition to retain client accounts so they will always want to put the strongest candidate forward. That means they’ll not consider your CV if they find anything wrong with your CV. Like others have mentioned remove Nigeria from your CV completely. Also if you’re on 189, research extensively on the city that has more of your roles before landing. Although there are no guarantees, but at least you’re sure there are lots of opportunities in your line of work when you land.

In terms of culture shock, I won’t say I’ve had too many as most of my work experience back home was in a highly multicultural environment. I understand these guys well and how they think. Do not be fooled by their endless smiles at you. @goodmemory has done justice to the topic of how to relate in the professional environment here. Be calm, be in control of your emotions but be assertive. Again, do not get confrontational like we do back home. It will only worsen your situation.

Make I leave am here for now. More details later...[/quote]

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Ifexontop(m): 2:49pm On Jun 20, 2019
Whats the cost of flight ticket from Lagos Nigeria to Sydney Australia?

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by CryptoBo: 11:35am On Jun 21, 2019
Australia is an amazing country with beautiful nature. Several years ago I went there for work and this country impressed me a lot.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Bossladyorigina: 4:38am On Jun 22, 2019
Ifexontop:
Whats the cost of flight ticket from Lagos Nigeria to Sydney Australia?

Search wakanow, Expedia and co via Google.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Oshokebello: 6:48am On Jun 23, 2019
You can Google the current price.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 10:51am On Jun 23, 2019
People in Perth, are you following the State Of Origin?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 10:54am On Jun 23, 2019
CryptoBo:
Australia is an amazing country with beautiful nature. Several years ago I went there for work and this country impressed me a lot.
Nature and space and just green everywhere. I still marvel at it.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 11:02am On Jun 23, 2019
maryannakwaugo:
Like others have mentioned remove Nigeria from your CV completely.
Why would you do that? It's part of who you are. It is YOUR work experience. Why remove it?

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by DiiVictory(m): 11:14am On Jun 23, 2019
Good day guys!
Please is there any website where people in Australia resell their used items like phone gadgets, house properties and laptops?
I need this information, if anyone knows of any please direct me.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ukcatlover(m): 11:19am On Jun 23, 2019
Try gumtree. Com . Au

DiiVictory:
Good day guys!
Please is there any website where people in Australia resell their used items like phone gadgets, house properties and laptops?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 11:55am On Jun 23, 2019
FBS:
People in Perth, are you following the State Of Origin?

I don't watch Rugby. I follow the AFL though.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 11:15pm On Jun 24, 2019
DiiVictory:
Good day guys!
Gumtree as earlier mentioned and you can also try Facebook market, got some stuffs through it at ridiculous price, you just have to be smart by arranging a safe meeting place and test/check properly before paying.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 12:02am On Jun 25, 2019
bellong:

I don't watch Rugby. I follow the AFL though.
Watched the AFL grandfinal last season. Absolutely epic. Loved it.

You should try to watch the NRL, it is fun too. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 12:03am On Jun 25, 2019
DiiVictory:
Good day guys!
Gumtree, facebook market. Some even give out for free.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 2:16am On Jun 25, 2019
FBS:

Watched the AFL grandfinal last season. Absolutely epic. Loved it.

You should try to watch the NRL, it is fun too. cheesy

I watch the NRL and Rugby league once a while, just not committed to it compared to the AFL. I don't watch rugby as much as footie. The clashing in rugby is scary.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 3:56am On Jun 25, 2019
bellong:

I watch the NRL and Rugby league once a while, just not committed to it compared to the AFL. I don't watch rugby as much as footie. The clashing in rugby is scary.

Was at the stadium once at the top end and you could hear bodies slamming against each other. I often wonder, how on earth do they get right back up? shocked

You should watch the State of Origin Game 3. cheesy
Its 1-1 so both teams will have to go for it. Expect more body slamming, hits and all. cheesy
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Roadtoaustralia: 10:10pm On Jun 25, 2019
Good morning, I am currently studying masters in Australia, I got another admission for PhD which I have accepted, I am about to apply for visa. My mum fixed account is 15m, my husband fixed account is 3m and his running account is 1.5m. the total amount to apply is 30kAud around 7.5m. my questions are.

1. Can we use those fixed account as proof of funds
2. What doc or letter do we need to add
Note I want to apply with my son and my husband which is currently working in Nigeria
3. Then we have a landed property of 3.5m
4. They refused son and husband in dec for dependant visa

Plus, I will need more info from anybody currently living in Tasmania. Moving to Tasmania soon.

I will appreciate anybody that have gone through this process to also contribute
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by u3fine(m): 12:17am On Jun 27, 2019
Good day landed seniors, please what's the prospects of a Teacher or School Administrators? The pay and job availability?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by shogan5: 9:17am On Jun 29, 2019
CryptoBo:
Pls can I have your contact
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by shogan5: 9:18am On Jun 29, 2019
CryptoBo:
Pls can I have your contact for better communication?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ananne: 8:18pm On Jun 30, 2019
Please can I get a link to the Australian permanent residence thread. I want to start the process.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Bnimz(m): 9:36pm On Jun 30, 2019
Guys, Justwise has removed the entire "General Guide to Australia permanent residence" thread.

Please, we need everybody to request that the thread be returned...

It does not make sense. This thread has helped so many, and continues to help so many... Its an archive of information that people can consult for guidance...

No matter the reason, denying people of that much historical information cannot be justified.

No new thread can match it anymore,. So many people who posted their experiences there have moved on and don't come back to nairaland. Even if they did, you will find that all our posts on the topic have also vanished,.

I'm not sure what the process for petitioning moderators is, but we need to get the attention of the mods and ask for our thread back.

#BringBackOurThread

Justwise. DisGuy. Mynd44. Lalasticlala, Dominique

12 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:43pm On Jun 30, 2019
Bnimz:
Guys, Justwise has removed the entire "General Guide to Australia permanent residence" thread.

It does not make sense. This thread has helped so many, and continues to help so many... Its an archive of information that people can consult for guidance...

No matter the reason, denying people of that much historical information cannot be justified.

No new thread can match it anymore,. So many people who posted their experiences there have moved on and don't come back to nairaland. Even if they did, you will find that all our posts on the topic have also vanished,.

I'm not sure what the process for petitioning moderators is, but we need to get the attention of the mods and ask for our thread back.

#BringBackOurThread

That thread will be restored only when bellong removes the visa ad on his signature.

I just noticed that he took over that thread and started charging people for immigration services
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Bnimz(m): 9:45pm On Jun 30, 2019
justwise:

That thread will be restored only when bellong removes the visa ad on his signature.
is it possible to do this while banned?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:46pm On Jun 30, 2019
Bnimz:
is it possible to do this while banned?

Yes.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by datacoven(m): 9:47pm On Jun 30, 2019

#BringBackOurThread[/quote]

Seconded!
Was a shock to me when I tried accessing the page today but couldn't. I really need guidance on getting PR.
Bro @ Bnimz
Please I sent you a PM. Did you receive it?
Tnx
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Bnimz(m): 9:53pm On Jun 30, 2019
justwise:

I just noticed that he took over that thread and started charging people for immigration services
Actually this is only partially correct. He announced that he now has partnered with an immigration service for those who don't want to do it themselves.
Long after that, he still continued to answer people's questions free of charge

He can't remove his signature.. you can't edit profile when you are banned. Look at this. The entire profile is blanked out

2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.