Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,689 members, 7,805,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? (6992 Views)

10 Real-life Inspirations For Comic Book Characters / Uchiha Madara Vs Marvel Comic Heroes / Comic Actors Sanyeri And Oleyo Dethrone Mr. Latin And Babasuwe As King Of Comedy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Neoteny(m): 2:10pm On Jul 28, 2006
black panther sux, and storm is marrying the geezer. sheesh!! marvel ruled but that was way back in the baby boomer teen years. dc did good until they decided to kill bluebeetle and hand the title over to some hispanic brat (watshisname jayme or rayme-whatever) and to top it all up boostergold fizzled out. now i do DarkHorse-spawn, Darkness, Witchblade but i h8 computer coloration. i hate green lantern corp (too many characters), teen titans was great until they gat wiped out (was it dr doom? can't remember.) justice league america, hmmm. so-so. ARCHIE is it. can't get enough of jughead and weatherbee.
someone mentioned beano and whizzer and chips. man, i like u. dennis the menace, that scraggly mutt Gnasher, Ivor Lott and Tony Broke in cor, Mesmer eyes and my fave Chalky ( "quick on the draw"wink. and then the war comics-commando, Battle, War. that was wen i fell in love with the romance of World War2. <sigh>
but its a bitch getting comics now in naija.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 7:05pm On Jul 28, 2006
Black Panther rulz!!! and him marrying Storm is perfect. The two top Black African male and female heroes hooking up. Hell yeah!!

Who cares about Blue Beetle? He sucked before and still sucks now. But the story of Ted kord's death was a powerful one and allowed us to see WonderWoman go gangsta on max Lord's ass!

Finally Guy Gardner rules as well!!

Back at ya Neoteny.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by spikyn: 1:59pm On Jul 29, 2006
I'm a comic fan. Been since the '80s. The Hulk and the Silver Surfer were my favs from Marvel along with Wolverine+the X-families. On the DC front I loved the LSH, Teen Titans and Batman arcs [I think Batman Begins is the best/greatest superhero movie ever!]. Black and white war comics too where nice along with 2000AD [Eagle & Battle anyone?, gosh fun!]

I currently am following DC's 52/One Year Later and Marvel's Civil War/198/Annihilation and boy am I tripped, it's really hard to tell who's better sha. What the Illuminati did to the Hulk is crazy sha and see how Magneto's kids have changed everything ba?

Some comics you guys failed to mention when talking mature comics was Watchmen [which was the listed by time as one of the greatest books of the last 50 years] and V for Vendetta. A lot of Alan Moore stuff is pretty good or at least worth a read.

Much love
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by iice(f): 5:41pm On Jul 29, 2006
Big comic fan. Been reading them since i was a kid, only have a few now and they r stored in my grandparents place lol. On Marvel, well love X-men for sure, on DC, The Dark Knight (Batman), havent been following too closely with the whole thing but i've read alil on the whole Annihilation thing. So many heroes now and gettin hard 2 keep them all in mind lol. I also like Frank millers graphic novels hehehe(Can't wait for 300 2 come out, movie that is). Used 2 read archie n co but am more interested in heroes and villians lol grin grin
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 5:43pm On Jul 29, 2006
Spikyn, Watchmen is a classic!

Have you read Miracleman?

I am loving the Civil War at the moment but I am disappointed that it seems that Thor is on Iron man's side and I hope that Peter Parker does not regret his decision to unmask in public.

Quicksilver is going to reap some serious pain soon.

I am not really feeling 52 apart from Black Adam who is just a total badass!
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Neoteny(m): 8:11pm On Jul 29, 2006
@vieira
wonderwoman?! after the disaster of infinite crisis? gurl she is as lost as Arana!
maybe DarkHorse and todd mcfarlane are the future of comics cos marvel and Dc are fugging up. WTF is happening here? kathy kane and that bitch cop renee montoya are lesbos, that geezer from planet dc (watshisname, the hiv + wimp) is a ass humpin homo, green arrow is mayor of starcity. and black lightning has a girl, thunder. and the only good episode in the hulk series as far as im concerned is the one marvel intro'd wolverine. bruce banner sux!
and just cos luke cage's married, ororo and thunder are tying the friggin knot. they wont last. dc may redeem itself in "52' and the Great Ten cos i have a thing for celestial archer and seven deadly brothers, else im still sore at them for that infinite crisis fiasco. my best dc character ever was rex-wonder wen they're going to movie his series.

who's a fan of sam slade here, aka robohunter. cant remember wat label published his adventures but its the same house as judge dredd. seems the line fizzled out.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by spikyn: 8:30pm On Jul 29, 2006
Wonder Woman took the only action necessary for her to take and I support her decision.

@Viera
Nope! Haven't gotten around to Miracleman yet but I just got Sandman but I haven't had the time to take it all in yet. Spiderman will definitely regret it, I'm so predicting that!

The "core" 52 is much fun but when you view it in the light of the adjacent titles [Nightwing, Birds of Prey, Batman et al and Superman, ] It really makes good reading. Black Adam is about to feel some pain soon especially over Isis.

I loved the Ultimates too and the New Avengers but the Civil War will overrun all that soon.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 1:42am On Jul 30, 2006
@Spikyn, Sandman is a whole different level o! I just finished rereading them again recently and I was still blown away by it.

You should read Lucifer by Mike Carey, excellent stuff.

I believe DC are fucking up big time, I used Infinite Crisis as a point for me to drop loads of titles. No more flash for me, no more Firestrom, Wonderwoman, Superman, Batman etc!
In DC I am getting 52, Legion of Superheroes, JLA, Titans and I will get Trails of Shazam when it comes out but if they mess up Captain Marvel I will vex big time.

Marvel at the moment is kicking butt, Civil War is of the hook and the return of the Thunder God was excellent.

Ororo and T'challa, hell yeah!

Runaways, great book, Young Avengers is excellent as well and Daredevil is just too much.

Do you guys read Invincible, Powers or Planetary? Not DC or Marvel but great stuff anyway.

Holla back players.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Neoteny(m): 12:09pm On Aug 02, 2006
cor! nic cage as Ghostrider!!?? cant wait for feb 15th!! and what's this? flint marko/william baker (aka the Sandman) in spidey 3? saw a glimpse of him in the trailer, and some dark substance that transform spidey into a black-costumed menace. that substance, i believe, is nothing other than the alien SYMBIOTE!! YESSSS!!! ENTER VENOM!!!
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by iice(f): 12:15pm On Aug 02, 2006
LOL, there are actually four villans in Spidey 3, Sandman, Venom, goblin and the fourth has yet 2 be revealed. They are keeping it a secret. As for Ghostrider, its been pushed back 2 next year so no show this year for that end. Joker will be the villan in the next Batman movie.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Neoteny(m): 1:39pm On Aug 02, 2006
um, feb 15 refers to next year, dunnit? as for joker being the next batty villain, well, they already told us in the end of batty begins, din they? when gordon gave wayne the joker card just before the credits.
as for the fourth spidey villain i would love for it to be capn luis alvarez-Tarantula. remember he was sent to whack spidey for killing the original tarantula, anton rodriguez, in Web of Spiderman.

and i dont believe we should say venom is in the movie cos remember the symbiote got spidey and was trying to fuse to him, but then mr fantastic blasted it off spidey wit his sonic blaster and it was much later that the symbiote bonded with eddie brock, who was to become venom. i guess the movie narrates spidey's experience with the alien thingy, and at that point venom was not invented yet.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by iice(f): 1:43pm On Aug 02, 2006
Ahahahaha *smacks me head* 4got about that (batman ending) lol, nways heath ledger will play joker althou i really cant picture him in that role lol. Hmmmm tarantula huh? cud be but i culdnt find any hint about the fourth villan oh well hopefully they'l lets us knw this year grin grin
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 4:29pm On Aug 02, 2006
Venom is in the movie I believe.

They will show Eddie Brock who is played by Topher Grace, so I am guessing that we will see Venom.

Remember the movies have diverted from the comics storyline already.

My guess for the 4th villian is the Lizard, we have already met Curt Conners in the second movie, so they might just go down that route.

Some are even saying Man Wolf as we have also met James Jameson.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Neoteny(m): 7:10pm On Aug 02, 2006
@vieira
we may see venom because its true what u said about movies deviating from the comic storyline, but we are just basing our assumptions on the trailer. i don't think its possible to cram so much material-spidey's wahala with the alien entity, sandman, greengoblin, MJ, harry etc-and eddie brock's uncalled-for hatred for pete parker. except maybe in the end jujst before the credits eddie brock may stumble into the church where he comes upon the symbiote for the first time. and as it fuses into him the movie may end same way it did in the sequel when harry came across the glider and suit in his pa's hidey hole.
theres a strange pattern here: we met doc ock in spidey 2, sandman is in the new movie, venom may do a cameo or more, now all it takes is for kraven2 and mysterio2 to make an appearance and the Sinister Six will be complete!
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 11:35pm On Aug 02, 2006
To be honest I don't want too many villians as they may spoil the movie.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Neoteny(m): 12:56pm On Aug 03, 2006
that's quite true.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Shinor(m): 11:42am On Aug 04, 2006
PLS any one with back issues of POWERMAN and POP? Always dreamt of getting the kind of shoes LEO AND HIS MAGIC SHOES wore when i grow up. well still waiting. The rights were actually bought by TREBOR Ltd and i think they are stored somewhere here in the UK
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by spikyn: 8:02pm On Aug 04, 2006
@ Vieira: Hola

I saw the Spider Man III trailer too. Kinda reminds me of the mood/direction and tempo employed by Christopher Nolan for Batman Begins. I expect it to be good sha but somehow I'm skeptical; the symbiote does look a little too glossy and the Venom suit seems to just be a normal Spider Man suit but in black and a larger spider logo.

I have high hopes for the Dark Knight but somehow I doubt that Heath can ever top JAAAAACK!

How'd you like the tone the Civil War in Marvel is taking?
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Neoteny(m): 4:50pm On Aug 05, 2006
@spikyn
the symbiote makes its own costume almost as spawn does: its not fabric but an entity. and when it first got on spidey (in spiderman #36 i believe) it was just black same as in the movie. it only devolved to that infernal long-jawed, lizard-tongued horror AFTER it got edie brock.

heath ledger i despise. no reason so dont ask. and i dont believe chris nolan can ever match the atmosphere tim burton achieved in thye first batman with michael keaton. so sombre, so gothic. i do love batman begins, but gotham looks too much like a slightly amped contemporary chicago.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 1:52am On Aug 06, 2006
Spikyn, I am loving Civil War and I hope Iron Man gets his butt kicked.

But Spiderman needs to wake up and realise he is on the wrong side jare.

Did you read New Avengers? Luke Cage rocks!

I loved how he was in house jeje and SHIELD tried to take him out.

I also do not believe that the real Thor would ever go against Captain America.

But Speedball is suffering in jail o!

and did you see Namor in Wolverine?? He is coming to avenge the death of Namorita!! Nitro is in big trouble!!
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by spikyn: 4:50pm On Aug 09, 2006
Guys sorry I'm just replying, it took a while to get over my extreme old age. grin

@ Neoteny, I get, but the symbiote was pure black not webby. It was seamless and smooth not just a black variant of his normal blue and red.

@ Viera. Luke Cage dey display levels. I dey gbadun the guy die! Iron Man's really deluded but it's Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic I see suffering the most. Spiderman will definitely move to Captain America's side, you just watch/read and see.

Poor Speedball.

Namor was always an idiot but he is principled sha, he should have left Wolverine to extract the info from Nitro.

In 52, Ralph Dibny is royally messed up. Batman seems to be coming back from the dark side a bit but Robin is definitely headed there. Did you follos the Red Hood Saga?
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 10:45pm On Aug 09, 2006
Namor no send Wolverine at all at all.

You no see how Namor disclipined Iron Man for illumanati??

I did not get the Red hood saga o, I no dey like it when they bring a dead person back jare.

When Jason Todd died his death had serious impact on Batman and was a great storyline but now they have just cheapened the whole thing by bringing him back.

But for me my main Robin na Tim Drake, love the dude.

as per reed Richards i forsee a divorce if he is not careful and I trust Namor, he still has feelings for Invisible woman.

I never get any comics for the last two weeks but will this Saturday.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by spikyn: 7:18pm On Sep 21, 2006
@ Viera - You don read Civil War 4? See Reed's pain starting and Spiderman's doubts?
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 7:58pm On Sep 21, 2006
I never read am o!

Don't tell me o, I dey get am next Tuesday on the way to emirates.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by profade1(m): 7:31am On Sep 22, 2006
Hello Guys,

Just saw this thread. Glad to know that other guys love comics as much as I do. I'm more into titans, x-men, justice league ( though after ice died, well, )
and i also love the endless. dream, desire , despair et al.

Please if u guys find out any site that will deliver recent comics to naija, abeg let me know. i'm really , really interested. By the way, do u put much hope for an X-4 film? Personally I feel they should focus more on the ounger generation, more of an x-factor/ new mutant film and use rogue more!!
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 11:31am On Sep 22, 2006
prof ade:

and i also love the endless. dream, desire , despair et al.

With this one statement you don gain my respect 100%
Those Sandman books are literature of the highest order!

You need to read Lucifer by Mike Carey as well.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Christino(m): 2:27pm On Sep 22, 2006
The pilgrims Progress - john Bunyan
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by zimgirl: 5:43am On Sep 23, 2006
I bought a big box of the batman, x-men, superman and all sorts of dark shocked comics and they spook me too much dafman if you want them let me know if these are your kind of comics and I will provide you with some of the titles that I have and I can send a few to you cannot promise the whole box though as it is about 20kilos. (I know, I know some of u wondering what I wanted them for, well I sell on eBay)
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 10:41am On Sep 23, 2006
spikyn, I don read am now!

I just knew that could not be Thor! I am so happy and I loved seeing Sue Richards saving the group.

Great moment.

Now for Peter to switch.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by jogego(m): 5:35pm On Sep 23, 2006
V baba how body?, your boys did the did today.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Seun(m): 6:54pm On Sep 23, 2006
@Christino: Yes, Pilgrim's Progress and some bible stories were probably the only comic books I owned as a kid.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 11:27am On Sep 24, 2006
Jogego, body dey kampe.

Trust my boys now. The season just start jare.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Game Of Thrones Season 8 Predictions. / Nigerian Movie Subtitles / Funniest Movie You Have Seen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.