Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? (6994 Views)

10 Real-life Inspirations For Comic Book Characters / Uchiha Madara Vs Marvel Comic Heroes / Comic Actors Sanyeri And Oleyo Dethrone Mr. Latin And Babasuwe As King Of Comedy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by tpia: 9:48pm On Jun 13, 2008
richie rich fan here.

I just got another richie rich digest recently.

I might brush up on other comics later. Spiderman, Hulk, fantastic Four, etc-  used to devour those things as a kid.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by grafikdon: 10:07pm On Jun 13, 2008
@ tpia, you should take Spawn for a spin. . . it gets better everyday grin cool
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Gamine(f): 9:56am On Jul 24, 2008
I bought one Pandora Comic yesterday at the palms,
titled Aisha.
it seemed ok, but the printing of the Comic was AARGH! sad
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Wordsmith(m): 5:27pm On Jul 28, 2008
Someone tell them IC and Pandora fools to start distributin' they comics wide, seems these cats don't wanna make money. . .
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 12:56am On Sep 04, 2008
I bought a few comic in naija when I visited in March, one or two were not bad but some were terrible.

But at least it is a start.

Dave Gibbons started by drawing Powerman in Naija back in the day.

Now he is a big shot and his book "The Watchmen" is being released as a big movie next year.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by kavita: 10:55pm On Sep 06, 2009
Hello Vieira, I have read through most of the comments on the TITLE and found them rather interesting especially your passion for comics, I make comics and I'm looking for analytical critics that would provide insights into how best we can do comics around here (naija) - presently we have published two editions please check www.meetsozo.com - we shall have new editions at the end of each month (30th) and hopefully we can start doing weekly as they do abroad. If you are in Nigeria kindly let me know so I can send you free copies, else - I guess we can find a way. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks (it's been a year you wrote here)
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by oaroloye(m): 12:17am On Aug 15, 2010
I am a comic book fan from way back! I like the stories to make sense and support the view that Good always overcomes Evil. If we can't get that in Real Life, I see no reason why we should do to the trouble of paying for it to be printed for us.

The DC Comics were mostly childish junk until 1986, which is when The CRISIS on Infinite Earths series happened.
After that, stories were written with an edge of greater realism. Heroes and villains had believable motivations.
The powers were more manageable. (How can Superman and Flash fight people when they can move at Light Speed?)
The villains won for a change. Heroes got taken to the limit, and beyond. Supergirl dies, Hawk was corrupted, Flash was de-powered to less than sonic-speed, Batman's back was broken, Green Lantern turned evil, Green Arrow died, Elongated Man's wife died, Superman died- fighting someone stronger than he was. The Justice league had to beg for their existence. Villains the heroes busted their asses to put away were released by the government on Plea-Bargains.

Then there were mega-crossover events!

The first was THE KORVAC SAGA: A story that took ten AVENGERS issues to tell.
Then they got the idea of creating a miniseries to tell a story. We get to gear how Wolverine was to get married by killing his father-in-law.

There was an X-Men storyline in which a seven year old girl (Illyana Rasputin: MAGIK) got kidnapped for ten seconds- and when she is rescued, she has aged seven years! A miniseries was created to explain what happened to her in those ten seconds.

The bionic mutant Immortal Thanos has a plan to destroy the Universe (again). This INFINITY GAUNTLET takes up six main issues, but crosses over into ongoing series.

There was a series created to reflect the Real Life DESERT STORM war, called OPERATION GALACTIC STORM.
There was a series where the HIGH EVOLUTIONARY character went berserk, called The EVOLUTIONARY WAR.

Recently, some young superheroes cause the deaths of 60 schoolchildren, prompting an attempt to register all superheroes and supervillains, causing them to fight on the government's side, and against it, called CIVIL WAR.\

This was settled, more or less, then the shapeshifting Skrull Alien race staged a SECRET INVASION of Earth.
This was ended when a supervillain. THE GREEN GOBLIN, killed the Skrull Queen by crooked means.
He was rewarded with the control of America's top security job- directorship of SHIELD.
This began the maxi-series called DARK REIGN in which the former heroes became villains hunted by the people they used to arrest!

The DARK REIGN goes to the SIEGE of Asgard (no, seriously, ASGARD)! Thor, God of Thunder has brought Asgard down to Earth (Odin is dead, and he inherited his power). Loki manipulates events so Thor is exiled.
Volstagg the Voluminous is manipulated into killing 60,000 innocent civilians (repeat: 60,000 innocent civilians).
There is nothing funny about this. This is taken as the pretext for Norman (Green Goblin) Osborn- former Spider-Man arch-enemy- current Spider-Man arch-enemy- everlasting Spider-Man arch-enemy to invade Asgard.

One of the incredible scenes includes Norman Osborn working THOR over (repeat, Norman Osborn worked Thor over; Thor have Nothing)! Gods DIE severally on that day. Osborn dies basically exactly what he set out to do- Asgard is totally destroyed. Ares, Olympian God of War swears to behead Osborn if he found he lied about Asgard- that did not even nearly happen. (Ares lasted like three panels- no, actually, it was twenty-nine panels- went back and counted everything. No more ARES.)

I have many of these comics digitized, and am willing to sell or trade them to interested parties.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 2:17am On Aug 29, 2010
Haven't been on this thread in awhile!

Lets revive this thread.

Anyone into the new Marvel Heroic Age or the Brightest day in DC?

Kavita I will hit you up.
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by Vieira(m): 2:19am On Aug 29, 2010
Kavita, drop me a line on fb or yahoo messanger.

Dapo Vieira Olasiyan
Re: Any Comic Book Fans On Nairaland? by omoba4real: 11:13pm On Oct 07, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Remembers Paloma And Diego? Catalina And Sebastian? What's Your Favorite? / Game Of Thrones Season 8 Predictions. / Funniest Movie You Have Seen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.