Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:00 AM

NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum (20801 Views)

Constitution Did Not Provide Specific Role For Vp’s Office – ACF / Wike Places N640 Million Bounty On 32 Most Wanted ‘cult Leaders’ In Rivers (See) / Osinbajo Admits Approving N640 Billion Oil Contracts For NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 1:18am On Oct 12, 2017
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation said on Wednesday that the presidential approvals it received for two oil contracts worth N640 billion were granted by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo during his time as acting president.

The “Acting President Yemi Osinbajo gave the approval,” Ndu Ughamadu, spokesperson for the NNPC, said in a message to PREMIUM TIMES at noon Wednesday.

But for the ensuing 10 hours, Mr. Osinbajo’s office could not confirm or counter the NNPC’s claim despite repeated requests from PREMIUM TIMES.

The NNPC’s statement on Wednesday after that of Tuesday and the presidency’s handling of the controversy surrounding the operations of the state-oil firm further highlight the opaque nature of the running of the corporation.

Mr. Ughamadu’s declaration comes hours after PREMIUM TIMES highlighted a critical aspect of a Monday morning statement by the NNPC which suggested that the state-run oil giant had received presidential approvals for at least two contract awards during the time President Muhammadu Buhari was on medical leave in London.\

The NNPC listed the contracts as part of its response to the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Ibe Kachikwu, who had earlier accused the head of NNPC of abuse of contract regulations and insubordination in a memo to Mr. Buhari.

In the August 30 memo, Mr. Kachikwu said Maikanti Baru awarded up to $25 billion in oil contracts under different guises without recourse to NNPC board or himself as its chairman. The memo sparked nationwide controversy followings its leakage on the Internet October 3.

The NNPC pushed back in a statement Monday, saying Mr. Kachikwu’s complaints were misplaced as the Mr. Baru only needed to get input and approval from President Buhari, who’s also the substantive Minister of Petroleum Resources.

The agency also listed some contracts that received presidential approvals between September 2015 and July 2017.

The statement said NNPC received presidential approvals for two oil contracts on July 10 and July 31 worth $1 billion and $780 million, respectively.

The timeline indicated that the contracts were signed on dates Mr. Buhari was on medical leave in London and Mr. Osinbajo was acting as president in line with the Constitution.

PREMIUM TIMES then contacted the NNPC to clarify whether the approvals were granted by Mr. Buhari while on his sickbed in London, but the agency’s spokesperson declined to clarify, saying “presidential approval is presidential approval.”

When PREMIUM TIMES reminded him of potential legal implications of Mr. Buhari exercising presidential powers even when he had relinquished same in accordance with the constitution, Mr. Ughamadu dug his heels in.

“Presidential approval is presidential approval,” the spokesperson insisted.

President Buhari’s spokespersons, Femi Adesina and Garba Shehu, also declined to comment on their principal’s role in the contract saga when contacted on Tuesday.

But hours after the story was published, Mr. Ughamadu contacted PREMIUM TIMES to say that it was Mr. Osinbajo who gave the presidential approvals for the contracts.

Yet Laolu Akande, spokesperson for Mr. Osinbajo, could not corroborate the NNPC’s assertion for about 10 hours on Wednesday after he was contacted by PREMIUM TIMES.

In his memo to Mr. Buhari, Mr. Kachikwu stated that when Mr. Buhari was unwell in London for several months between May and August, Mr. Baru tried to get direct approval from Acting President Osinbajo for some personnel changes at the NNPC.

But Mr. Osinbajo asked Mr. Baru to go back to Mr. Kachikwu and get his input and approval first before making the changes. Mr. Baru refused to consult Mr. Kachikwu on that.

For weeks, the changes were not made, until Mr. Buhari returned on August 19. By August 29, Mr. Baru announced the changes.

This prompted Mr. Kachikwu’s letter to the president on August 30, complaining that he learnt of the development in the media.

Neither the vice president’s office nor Mr. Baru has denied that claim by Mr. Kachikwu.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/245833-nnpc-says-osinbajo-gave-approval-n640-billion-contract-vice-presidents-office-keeps-mum.html

1 Share

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by SalamRushdie: 1:24am On Oct 12, 2017
Hahahahaha the gaffe and miscalculation made in Baru's response implicated the cabal further because Buhari wasn't even in the country when Baru claims he got the approval , the Daura cabal under the guidance of Buhari has shamelessly changed direction once again hahahahahahah this time implicating the office of the Vice President who is very aware that this is a huge lie because such approval could only have happened in an FEC meeting and Kachikwu being the substantive Minister of Petroleum in Buhari's absence would have been the one to pitch the presentation to the then acting president....Walahi the Buhari govt is the fantastic four of fantastical corruption , deceit and lies

243 Likes 21 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 1:43am On Oct 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Hahahahaha the gaffe and miscalculation made in Baru's response implicated the cabal further because Buhari wasn't even in the country when Baru claims he got the approval , the Daura cabal under the guidance of Buhari has shamelessly changed direction once again hahahahahahah this time implicating the office of the Vice President who is very aware that this is a huge lie because such approval could only have happened in an FEC meeting and Kachikwu being the substantive Minister of Petroleum in Buhari's absence would have been the one to pitch the presentation to the then acting president....Walahi the Buhari govt is the fantastic four of fantastical corruption , deceit and lies
Exactly,Kachikwu would have been to one to present it at the FEC meeting and Osibanjo would have approved it. We need an independent investigation,I don't trust the Senate to carry out a thorough investigation.

122 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by ivandragon: 2:10am On Oct 12, 2017
for the past 2 weeks, they have been lying.
it took just 10 hours for the truth to overtake the lie.
confused clowns in power.

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by dokiOloye(m): 3:03am On Oct 12, 2017
I can almost swear Osunbade didn't give d approval.
And I also know he will never deny this lie.
That is why I laugh at those who say Buhari should hand over to him,cos he's too meek for my liking.
After stuttering and stammering during d period of d killing of pastors in Kano and Abj,I wrote him off.
Cabal go just pocket am one hand.

95 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 3:14am On Oct 12, 2017
Then tell una sey moni miss.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by libertyhope2017: 4:56am On Oct 12, 2017
Afonjas have now switched sides...they are now supporting Kachukwu side because the Cabal are trying to pin it on their son Osinbajo...LOL. Before now, they say Baru is right because the victim is Igbo. This is how their brain works...until it happens to our own, we don't give a damn if it's happening to others. Like the military vaccine issue, they are supporting the military now but as soon the vaccine is implicated in the death of their own, then they will turn against the military; that's how afonja brain works. Confused people and the most tribalistic lots in the world!

177 Likes 19 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by hucienda: 5:10am On Oct 12, 2017
The more their desperation to claim they are clean, the more they are inadvertently putting themselves in deeper sh*t.

The more they lie to try to cover up this 'uncoverable' stench, the more Nigerians will know the mess Buhari and his cabal have wrought on the country these horrendous 31months.

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Chuksgeo: 5:18am On Oct 12, 2017
really?

1 Like

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by harmless011: 5:20am On Oct 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:
This guys should just give it up already, it is glaring that the contract was awarded under dubious circumstance so trying to twist the narratives shows that they think we are all zombies.
I know EFCC will form deaf and dumb.last last Buhari will form a committee to investigate and the outcome we already know.
This government seem to have taken corruption to an unprecedented level while at the same time claiming to fight corruption.
What an irony!

106 Likes 9 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 5:40am On Oct 12, 2017
libertyhope2017:
Afonjas have now switched sides...they are now supporting Kachukwu side because the Cabal are trying to pin it on their son Osinbajo...LOL. Before now, they say Baru is right. Confused people and the most tribalistic lots in the world!
grin

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by nawtyme: 5:49am On Oct 12, 2017
Osibanjo should better speak up and save his heads, otherwise he will be used as the "scapegoat" or "sacrificial lamb" at the end of the day.

I have said it before and will say it again, Nigeria cannot be repaired.

Before you quote me please know that I have headache ọooo.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Jesusloveyou: 5:51am On Oct 12, 2017
This government is doing just fine,
No money is still missing,
Presidential approval is presidential approval.
You can remembered when baru run to London for the approval, but buhari sent him away.
And contract was approved by FEC under osibanjo as acting president.
Maybe kachikwu could not remembered when he presented the contract to fec, or he was absent when the issue were been discussed in fec.
IPods should go and die.

5 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by tinsel: 5:57am On Oct 12, 2017
dokiOloye:
I can almost swear Osunbade didn't give d approval.
And I also know he will never deny this lie.
That is why I laugh at those who say Buhari should hand over to him,cos he's too meek for my liking.
After stuttering and stammering during d period of d killing of pastors in Kano and Abj,I wrote him off.
Cabal go just pocket am one hand.
The government is doing damage control and you want him to deny publicly the government he is number 2? Governance is not done this way.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by magoo10(m): 5:58am On Oct 12, 2017
Lols this news is obviously for the zombies to come and masturbate on,what are they trying to say? after all osibanjo was just a coordinator of govt while buhari was in London supervising him and signing cheques used in syphoning monies .

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by BiafraIShere(m): 6:02am On Oct 12, 2017
The most useless country on earth!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 6:06am On Oct 12, 2017
nawtyme:
Osibanjo should better speak up and save his heads, otherwise he will be used as the "scapegoat" or "sacrificial lamb" at the end of the day.

I have said it before and will say it again, Nigeria cannot be repaired.

Before you quote me please know that I have headache ọooo.
Depends who wins in 2019. The potential candidates makes me weep for Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by BiafraIShere(m): 6:08am On Oct 12, 2017
Jesusloveyou:
You can remembered when baru run to London for the approval, but buhari sent him away.
Maybe kachikwu could not remembered when he presented the contract to fec, or he was absent when the issue were been discussed in fec.
IPods should go and die.
Chai, just look at a human being. Is this one God's creation too?

92 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 6:09am On Oct 12, 2017
Jesusloveyou:
IPods should go and die.
Why didn't Baru mention Kachikwu was present when it was presented in FEC?The only people that know the about the contracts are Buhari,Baru,Kyari and their other thieving accomplices.
Kachikwu is the only person that could have presented it before FEC,when Buhari was trying to seek asylum in England.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by BiafraIShere(m): 6:14am On Oct 12, 2017
God is using Kachikwu to expose the evil that is going on in this sham of a government. In sane countries, this scam is enough to make people to resign or get jailed while the regime will be swept away but here these criminals will still be hailed by their people for looting the national cake. Divide this contraption now or regionilize it so that every part will manage its resources.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 6:19am On Oct 12, 2017
Buhari is very wicked

18 Likes

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by eleojo23: 6:23am On Oct 12, 2017
So it is no longer Buhari that gave the approval?

It is not surprising that they are changing the story.
No be APC again?
Mtchew....we all know that they have PhD in dubiousness and lies...

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Izonpikin: 6:25am On Oct 12, 2017
grin grin

They ain’t seen nothing yet...

Fighting corruption my foot..

13 Likes

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Dillusionist(m): 6:29am On Oct 12, 2017
afonjas !!what goes around comes around. .they will trash your son to the bin..and nothing will happen,,

27 Likes

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Voice234: 6:41am On Oct 12, 2017
This administration and LIES. Buhari has to go, NO 2019 for the cabal. A stitch in time saves nine.

I supported and campaigned for this administration but I regret it. Liars and thieves. Tribalism and religious sentiment

28 Likes

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 12, 2017
Voice234:
This administration and LIES. Buhari has to go, NO 2019 for the cabal. A stitch in time saves nine.

I supported and campaigned for this administration but I regret it. Liars and thieves. Tribalism and religious sentiment

1 Like

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Bari22: 6:45am On Oct 12, 2017
I'm tired of these noise
Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by aolawale025: 6:52am On Oct 12, 2017
The money is gone! If the contracts were genuine there would have been no need to lie

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by BunbleBee: 6:52am On Oct 12, 2017
damn!, i weak for this country

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Paperwhite(m): 7:00am On Oct 12, 2017
Santimonious thieves in the APC's government.Still spinning more confusionist theory to the $26Billion scandal that have refused to go away.Thought Baru said Buhari signed them while in London hospital? This still confirms that Osinbajo is not only being sabotaged by the cabal but he is also part of the corruption rot in this government.

17 Likes

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 12, 2017
libertyhope2017:
Afonjas have now switched sides...they are now supporting Kachukwu side because the Cabal are trying to pin it on their son Osinbajo...LOL. Before now, they say Baru is right. Confused people and the most tribalistic lots in the world!
At least they are not betraying him like Kalu nailed Kanu.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NNPC Says Osinbajo Gave Approval For N640 Billion Contract;VP Office Keeps Mum by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 12, 2017
Paperwhite:
Santimonious thieves in the APC's government.Still spinning more confusionist theory to the $26Billion scandal that have refused to go away.Thought Baru said Buhari signed them while in London hospital? This still confirms that Osinbajo is not only being sabotaged by the cabal but he is also part of the corruption rot in this government.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Faith Teaches Me To Forgive: Fani-kayode Reacts To Viral Picture With Pantami / PDP Convention: Why Igbo Presidential Hopefuls Shunned Parade Of Posters / Representation Of Women In Campaign Councils Of Tinubu, Atiku And Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.