Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,158 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia (161547 Views)

The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by tpia5: 1:26pm On Jul 19, 2011

this guy could pass for african, but on closer inspection his asiatic features stand out.

he's papuan.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by tpia5: 1:35pm On Jul 19, 2011
likewise this guy seems african or AA on cursory inspection:

however, a closer look would cast some doubt:

he's australian aboriginal.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by tpia5: 1:43pm On Jul 19, 2011
aboriginal australian [with nigerian father]:

Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ababda: 11:38pm On Jul 19, 2011
tpia@:

melanin+asian = black asian or melanasian.

having a darker skin colour doesnt make them[b] not [/b] asian.

some indians are darker than they are.

asian doesnt only mean chinese.

i get your point though and they probably would not like being called simply asian due to various reasons.

Yeah, you can consider them that, black Asians. However i have a feeling many of them will not agree with you and you are absolutely right for various reasons. Especially what is still happening in the other half of the island of New Guinea which belongs to Indonesia called Irian Jaya. Many of the natives is being displaced by migrants from other parts of Indonesia and oppressed by the Big Western Companies and by the Indonesian Government as well. Which is very sad!

1 Like

Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ababda: 11:44pm On Jul 19, 2011
tpia@:

this guy could pass for african, but on closer inspection his asiatic features stand out.

he's papuan.

This one look very papuan New Guinea, and i could tell right away. However with the Fijians it is a little more complex, because they have a diversity of different looks.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ababda: 11:52pm On Jul 19, 2011
tpia@:

likewise this guy seems african or AA on cursory inspection:

however, a closer look would cast some doubt:

he's australian aboriginal.
Interesting, This gentleman looks similar to the people in Kordofon or Darfur in Central and western Sudan, i would not have thought he was Aboriginal. As you already know Sudan is the fault line of all the different african peoples North African/Egyptian element, nilotic element, cushitic element, bantu element, and arabs element, however the only group is not there is the Khoisan people, but everything else we have.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ababda: 11:55pm On Jul 19, 2011
tpia@:

aboriginal australian [with nigerian father]:

Interesting a Nigerian Father, Wow Nigerians lay their seed everywhere. Lol

Northern Sudanese are very reluctant to marry people outside their group, yet many have cross those racial and ethnic boundaries.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by tpia5: 12:16am On Jul 20, 2011
ababda:

Interesting a Nigerian Father, Wow Nigerians lay their seed everywhere. Lol

true shocked

he doesnt look very nigerian however.

he resembles his mum i guess- perhaps their genes are stronger. She also might be mixed, or maybe not.

anyone know where the name idris is from in nigeria? Kogi?

or the north?

its usually those areas whose biracial kids dont look nigerian. ie the kids tend to take after the non-nigerian side more.

with the long faces and all.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by kandiikane(m): 12:22am On Jul 20, 2011
Idris is an arabic name

Just found out that it is also a celtic name(boy)
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ababda: 12:38am On Jul 20, 2011
I go to this website at times, a melanesian response to his european counterpart for the reason for blonde hair.

European said
The gene that causes yellow hair in those malnutrished
malenesians and aborigins isn't the same gene that causes
blonde hair in Caucasoids for example a riffain or an iranian with blonde hair
carry the same gene that causes blonde hair in Norweigans and in aboriginals/melanesians their hair usually turns totally black when they reach puberty while you can find 80% of blonde haired adults in Finland and minorities of dark/dirty blonde adults all over the mediterranean

Melanesian response:
Have you been to Melanesia? Or do you gat your information from some other source?

Take a look at some melanesian adults:

picCA9GQ2QK.jpg

papua girl14.jpg

081128_kolinisau.jpg

These 2 ladies and 1 man, are all of melanesian phenotype. If you have never been there, do not suddenly become an internet expert. They all wear their hair naturally, and they all have blonde in their hair. This is the melanesian phenotype for you all who may have never been there. None them is mixed. The first two ladies are from Papua New Guinea and the guy in the third spot is from Fiji.

IF the guy in the third photo is malnourished? How comes he is 6.0 foot tall and weighs 94 Kg? He still has his natural blonde hair growing long and proud. He is a rugby player on the international rugby sevens circut.

The idea that blonde hair in Melanesia does not linger into adult age or that it is due to malnutrition is a myth. Speak to a real melanesian and not to someone who writes statistics from 5 000 miles away.

Blonde hair in Melanesians is not due to mixing with European. We are proudly our own people.

No where else will you get pure non europeans exhibiting such characteristics except in my region of the world.

It is no big deal for us. We have all the natural hair colours, black, blonde in its various shades, brown, and even red at times. And we don't go to the salloon for that.

But we don't make a fuss about the colour nor are we white wannabes.

I think the Europeans are beautiful with their blonde hair, blue eyed thing going for them.

For us Melanesians, blonde hair and brown eyes is possible. But never blonde hair with blue eyes.
Forget Love, I would rather fall in chocolate.

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ababda: 12:44am On Jul 20, 2011
kandiikane:

Idris is an arabic name

Just found out that it is also a celtic name(boy)

Eventhough, i am a Coptic Christian. Idris is a arabic name, He is a muslim prophet according to the Koran or the Hadiths.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by kandiikane(m): 12:59am On Jul 20, 2011
Yeah, that's what I said. .
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ababda: 1:03am On Jul 20, 2011
kandiikane:

Yeah, that's what I said. .
What is the term today generation use, my bad. LoL
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by pleep(m): 1:08am On Jul 20, 2011
ababda:

What is the term today generation use, my bad. LoL
grin grin grin grin
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by kandiikane(m): 1:11am On Jul 20, 2011
Term for what? Idris is usually Identified with enoch from the bible but it is uncertain.

We still use idris.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by pleep(m): 1:13am On Jul 20, 2011
^"I made a minor mistake but its not a big deal" = "my bad" tongue
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ababda: 1:20am On Jul 20, 2011
kandiikane:

Term for what? Idris is usually Identified with enoch from the bible but it is uncertain.

We still use idris.

I am not very familar with the old testament, nor with things pertaining to religions generally speaking, as far with the origins of different names wheither Copt or islamic! Both are just simply religions from my perspective. However this tread is about Melanesians right now.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by kandiikane(m): 2:02am On Jul 20, 2011
I did not ask for that. .Someone asked a question. .If you had left it at where I answered we would not be here. .
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ababda: 2:42am On Jul 20, 2011
kandiikane:

I did not ask for that. .Someone asked a question. .If you had left it at where I answered we would not be here. .
No problems, and my apology to you Kandikane. Lets proceed with this beauty of this educational tread. Please add pictures Kandikane, you are more than welcome to contribute.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by tpia5: 3:51am On Jul 20, 2011
@ all

idris is an arabic name, but in nigeria it would most likely be more specific to certain regions. ie more common there.

eg if you meet a nigerian named jimoh, the person is likely to be yoruba or midwest, while maimuna almost always is northern. Fatai would be yoruba-a maybe 95% chance.

though it seems yorubas are branching out of the traditional names now and taking other cultures' own.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by kandiikane(m): 3:57am On Jul 20, 2011
^^That is why I referred to arabic name because was thinking in Nigeria it might be common in hausas(just guessing)
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by tpia5: 4:52am On Jul 20, 2011
^^that's very likely, but it might be more of a middle belt/midwestern name imo. Perhaps lagos.

I'm thinking kogi in this instance.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by kandiikane(m): 11:48am On Jul 20, 2011
Oh right. .
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by ebeledi(m): 5:41am On Jul 21, 2011
very interesting people,
the most interesting "black" non-african groups are the adaman islanders , they are probally one of the darkest people in the world
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:43am On Jul 21, 2011
^^^^

but they are extremely isolated and over half of them are cannibals. its banned to go near them because due to isolation, they do not have immunity againt other diseases.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by kandiikane(m): 1:31pm On Jul 21, 2011
^^Wow I did not know that. .Going to do a bit of research on them. .Are they pygmies?
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by pleep(m): 7:43pm On Jul 21, 2011
Those must be the ppl who got that wierd disease from eating brains. undecided
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by kandiikane(m): 9:21pm On Jul 21, 2011
What weird disease?
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by pleep(m): 9:30pm On Jul 21, 2011
^ Its like mad cows disease for humans. called kuru. it concentrates in brain tissue and when canibals eat the brain of someone with the illness theres like a 100% chance of them getting it.
Since some of the isolated the tribes in paupa new guinea are canibals eventually like 80% of thier population got the illness.
if i recall correctly.
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by kandiikane(m): 9:35pm On Jul 21, 2011
oh right. . .

I was doing research on the andamese people and I found out that their last ancient language speak died last year. . And that people have tried going there so many times but they would get shot by arrows lol
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by pleep(m): 9:41pm On Jul 21, 2011
kandiikane:

oh right. . .

I was doing research on the andamese people and I found out that their last ancient language speak died last year. . And that people have tried going there so many times but they would get shot by arrows lol
lol Fail  undecided
Re: Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:44pm On Jul 21, 2011
kandiikane:

^^Wow I did not know that. .Going to do a bit of research on them. .Are they pygmies?

no they are not.

pleep:

^ Its like mad cows disease for humans. called kuru. it concentrates in brain tissue and when canibals eat the brain of someone with the illness theres like a 100% chance of them getting it.
Since some of the isolated the tribes in paupa new guinea are canibals eventually like 80% of thier population got the illness.
if i recall correctly.

they dont have any disease of that sort and they dont eat their own people. they just prefer the flesh of the occasional foreigner/fisherman, who has had the misfortune to wash up on their shores. wat beautiful & unique race. smiley

kandiikane:

oh right. . .

lol i hear about the arrows. they even tried to bring down a small army plane once. cheesy cheesy

actually only 1 language got extinct, i.e. the  language of the Bo tribe.9 tribes & 9 languages still survive, i hope.

the Andamanese can also communicate with birds and animals. thats 1 reason why they survived the Tsunami  because the animals gave them early warning of impending disaster and to move to higher ground.

please spare 15 mins to read this, my people:   http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1964610,00.html

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. / Why Can't People Embrace Pan-africanism? Why So Much Hatred On This Forum??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.