Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,647 members, 7,801,886 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

How To Make Fish Stew - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Make Fish Stew (18877 Views)

Have You Tried This Panla Fish Stew Before? / How To Fry Fish Without Flour| How To Make Fish Stew / The Making Of Fried Fish Stew (Video, Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Fish Stew by eneubane1(f): 9:27am On Oct 13, 2017
Fish Stew is a nutritious Nigerian stew that is made with fresh fish. It is a great substitute for the Beef and chicken stew especially if you are watching your weight or on a diet.

It is easy to make and fish stew can be prepared with any type of fresh fish you have, be it tilapia or catfish. Any fish will do just fine.

The Nigerian fish stew is eaten mostly with boiled rice, boiled yams, boiled and fried plantains, beans recipes and a whole lot more.

Ingredients for Nigerian Fresh Fish Stew
• 1kg Fresh Tomatoes or canned tomato puree
• 100g Tinned tomato paste (optional)
• 1 litre Vegetable Oil
• 300g Fresh Fish
• 2 OR 3 medium bulbs Onions
• 5 Habanero Pepper (atarodo)
• 2 Stock cubes
• 1 teaspoon Thyme
• 1 teaspoon Curry
• Salt to taste

Cooking directions
• First blend the tomatoes, peppers and onions. If you are making use of the thick tomato paste, simply dilute it a little bit in water and set aside.

• Pour the blended tomatoes into a pot and let it boil until the consistency is thicker and the excess water is dried up.

• In another pot, add the washed cut fresh fish, add a little water, thyme, curry, 1 stock cube and salt to taste.

• Parboil for 2 minutes, this helps to toughen the skin of the fish and make it tasty. Or you can marinate the fish with these spices overnight or for about 1 hour if you don't want to parboil it.

• Sieve the fish from the pot (and fry if you want to) then keep the stock aside (fish water). Now, heat up the vegetable oil, add some onions and fry then.

• Add the cooked tomatoes and fry for 5 minutes then add the diluted tinned tomatoes and fry for about 20 minutes or until the tomato loses it's sour taste.

• Stir constantly to prevent burning at the bottom. Add the fish stock and cook for 10 minutes. Next, add the parboiled fish, stock cube and salt to taste.

• Cover and leave to simmer until the fish is properly cooked. That's it, the Nigerian Fish Stew is ready. Enjoy.

• When the stew cools down a bit, scoop out the excess oil, pour into a bottle and preserve in the fridge for later use.

• This fish stew oil, can be used for Nigerian soups, stew, rice recipes, beans recipes and yam recipes as well.

The Nigerian Fish Stew is usually served with boiled rice, boiled and fried yams, plantain recipes and beans recipes.

Source: www.versatileblog.com.ng/2017/10/fish-stew-nigerian-recipe.html

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 13, 2017
I just wish that the fish stew will come out now for me to eat. cheesy

20 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by eneubane1(f): 1:18pm On Oct 13, 2017
Ahh, I wish I can perform such magic

airmirthd1:

1 Like

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by lasisi69(f): 1:23pm On Oct 13, 2017
Let me come and be going to buy my own fish...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by InsideOut247: 1:23pm On Oct 13, 2017
lol
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by 00Ademi(m): 1:24pm On Oct 13, 2017
Hm.... Cook ds for me nd i ll love u forever

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Badboiz(m): 1:24pm On Oct 13, 2017
Ok
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by jashar(f): 1:24pm On Oct 13, 2017
thanks for the recipe...

but, how do we measure 1kg tomato? is it 200 naira own or five hundred naira own? Na street we dey ooo. 5 pepper for stew? it won't pepper na...

grin grin

6 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by mrbillz(m): 1:25pm On Oct 13, 2017
Óbe tò dun, owo lopa

Soup wey sweet na money kill am o cool
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by jaymejate: 1:25pm On Oct 13, 2017
no matter how hard you teach those indomie ladies, they will never learn.
pepper soup joint de okay for us

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Pidginwhisper: 1:25pm On Oct 13, 2017
eneubane1:

Come make we discuss marriage preparation

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by ikombe: 1:27pm On Oct 13, 2017
airmirthd1:

eneubane1:

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Chicolee(f): 1:29pm On Oct 13, 2017
1 litre of vegetable oil? Seriously?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by martynsnet: 1:30pm On Oct 13, 2017
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by 40kobo77: 1:31pm On Oct 13, 2017
I dey hungry.
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by evy1(m): 1:32pm On Oct 13, 2017
5 Habanero Pepper (atarodo)
• 2 Stock cubes
Op the bolded na which kind pepper be that
And na Maggi you dey call stock cubes?
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by wonder233: 1:33pm On Oct 13, 2017
Pidginwhisper:
Come make we discuss marriage preparation
so, because you mentioned the magic word 'marriage' you expect her to jump out of Nairaland and land straight on your bed?

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by danieljessy: 1:33pm On Oct 13, 2017
00Ademi:
Why you dey lie

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 13, 2017
Nice one!!! grin grin
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by danieljessy: 1:34pm On Oct 13, 2017
00Ademi:
Why you dey life

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by RSVP: 1:34pm On Oct 13, 2017
1 litre of vegetable oil keh... shocked

Nah to dey enta toilet every 2 minutes oo

7 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by wheesin(m): 1:36pm On Oct 13, 2017
What of the recipe to Monkey Pox Stew??
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Pidginwhisper: 1:36pm On Oct 13, 2017
wonder233:
so, because you mentioned the magic word 'marriage' you expect her to jump out of Nairaland and land straight on your bed?
So for una place the word "marriage" mean to carry woman put for bed..dem don get you undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Pidginwhisper: 1:36pm On Oct 13, 2017
wonder233:
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Taiwo20(m): 1:37pm On Oct 13, 2017
jashar:
thanks for the recipe...

but, how do we measure 1kg tomato? is it 200 naira own or five hundred naira own? Na street we dey ooo. 5 pepper for stew? it won't pepper na...

grin grin

must you eat much pepper....
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by asawanathegreat(m): 1:38pm On Oct 13, 2017
Please I need one plate of rice with that fish stew.
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 13, 2017
Shut the fûck up. Just look at the hungry, wretched thing looking for someone's daughter to come and cook for it. If you can open that your dirty, stinky gutter mouth to consume food, then your lazy smelly ass should also know how to cook. Ediot boy.
Women don suffer sha
jaymejate:
no matter how hard you teach those indomie ladies, they will never learn.

pepper soup joint de okay for us

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by flyca: 1:41pm On Oct 13, 2017
Please I wanna add something..

OP said: Pour the blended tomatoes into a pot and let it boil until the consistency is thicker and the excess water is dried up.

I say: There is a better way to this. Blend your tomates and all. Put it on fire and allow to boil - usually 5 to 10 mins. Then pour in a sieve. The excess water just drains out! This will save time and fuel. Also prevents excessive heating of the tomatoes and makes the sew fresher.

The finer the sieve the better. The more time you leave it on the sieve, the more the water that drains out and the thicker the tomato puree becomes. A trial will convince you.

6 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by jaymejate: 1:46pm On Oct 13, 2017
LadyGoddiva:
Shut the fûck up. Just look at the hungry, wretched thing looking for someone's daughter to come and cook for it. If you can open that your dirty, stinky gutter mouth to consume food, then your lazy smelly ass should also know how to cook. Ediot boy.
Women don suffer sha

hahaha a typical example... Your husband or future husband de Pepper soup joint cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by MENZPRIDE(m): 1:48pm On Oct 13, 2017
lasisi69:
Let me come and be going to buy my own fish...
Why you no wear Yellow shoe join
anyway, hope your own go dey appetizing like the OP own?

1 Like

Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Adaumunocha(f): 1:49pm On Oct 13, 2017
'
Re: How To Make Fish Stew by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 13, 2017
Op, nice one buh y shld i have to use excess oil nd den scoop out d excess, can't we just take d required qty at d point of cooking

Also, 300g fish nor go reach chop o. Make e reach like 1kg. Titus or scubia is best used tho grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peeling Beans / Adulteration Of Food Items In Nigerian Markets / How Hygienic Is Roadside Roasted Plantain: Bolé

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.