Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,795 members, 7,802,534 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. (2699 Views)

Religious Tolerance In Action Christians Help Muslims (pic) / The Rise Of Atheism & Secularism / Pope Francis Urges Nigerians To Imbibe Religious Tolerance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 12:13pm On Oct 14, 2017
Religious intolerance is one of the many problems facing Nigeria today. We often see cases where certain groups of people feel that their religion is superior to the other, or that theirs is true while the other is false. In extreme cases, groups resort to violence in a bid to make their point (e.g Boko Haram, Religious conflicts in Kaduna etc).

In Nigeria, government has always promoted religious activities in one way or the other. Also many conflicts in the country since its inception have had some sort of religious bearing.

Religious tolerance involve our ability to accept, respect and coexist peacefully with other individuals of different religious inclinations.

Do you think secularism holds some prospects in proffering solutions to this problem?

Your honest and civil inputs will be valuable

Cc: Seun , johnydon22, budaatum, kingebukasblog, OtemAtum, Dalaman, Felixomor,
HopefulLandlord, THT80, Vaxx

3 Likes

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by dalaman: 12:52pm On Oct 14, 2017
DeSepiero:
Religious intolerance is one of the many problems facing Nigeria today. We often see cases where certain groups of people feel that their religion is superior to the other, or that theirs is true while the other is false. In extreme cases, groups resort to violence in a bid to make their point (e.g Boko Haram, Religious conflicts in Kaduna etc).

In Nigeria, government has always promoted religious activities in one way or the other. Also many conflicts in the country since its inception have had some sort of religious bearing.

Religious tolerance involve our ability to accept, respect and coexist peacefully with other individuals of different religious inclinations.

Do you think secularism holds some prospects in proffering solutions to this problem?

Sercularism that is devoid of fanatism and dogmatism will help mitigate the evil effects of religious intolerance so long as it is all inclusive and promotes enlightenment.

4 Likes

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 1:00pm On Oct 14, 2017
dalaman:

Sercularism that is devoid of fanatism and dogmatism will help mitigate the evil effects of religious intolerance so long as it is all inclusive and promotes enlightenment.

Nice input. Let me ask though, you suggest that secularism could be inclusive of fanatism and dogmatism? How so if so?
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by dalaman: 1:02pm On Oct 14, 2017
DeSepiero:

Nice input. Let me ask though, you suggest that secularism is inclusive of fanatism and dogmatism? How so if so?

I said secularism that is devoid of fanatism.

1 Like

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 1:06pm On Oct 14, 2017
dalaman:

I said secularism that is devoid of fanatism.

I've modified my reply. Check again
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by budaatum: 1:18pm On Oct 14, 2017
DeSepiero:

Secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institutions and religious dignitaries (the attainment of such is termed secularity). One manifestation of secularism is asserting the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, or, in a state declared to be neutral on matters of belief, from the imposition by government of religion or religious practices upon its people. Another manifestation of secularism is the view that public activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be uninfluenced by religious beliefs or practices.

Secularism is a function of education. By this I mean that an increase of the knowledge that people have, increases secularism. It is my opinion that most people who believe their god is the only god, do so because that is the only god that they know. As societies open up and access to information increases people become acquainted with other gods. Eventually, people realise that their god is not the only god and their god loses value over time. It is then that secularism comes about.

It can also come about due to equilibrium in the existing religions, whereby no religion is more powerful than any other so it is agreed that none would be imposed.

That said, Nigeria is already secular. Nobody proposes a bill in the house on religious grounds. You can't however ask people not to pray or get inspiration from their god about a proposed bill, and some may or may chose not to support a bill because of the religion of the bill proposer. An increase in awareness will decrease the influence of gods.

P.s. A pastor is the current vice president of Nigeria but I do not see him ruling the nation with god said.

7 Likes

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 3:50pm On Oct 14, 2017
budaatum:

Secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institutions and religious dignitaries (the attainment of such is termed secularity). One manifestation of secularism is asserting the right to be free from religious rule and teachings, or, in a state declared to be neutral on matters of belief, from the imposition by government of religion or religious practices upon its people. Another manifestation of secularism is the view that public activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be uninfluenced by religious beliefs or practices.

Secularism is a function of education. By this I mean that an increase of the knowledge that people have, increases secularism. It is my opinion that most people who believe their god is the only god, do so because that is the only god that they know. As societies open up and access to information increases people become acquainted with other gods. Eventually, people realise that their god is not the only god and their god loses value over time. It is then that secularism comes about.

It can also come about due to equilibrium in the existing religions, whereby no religion is more powerful than any other so it is agreed that none would be imposed.

That said, Nigeria is already secular. Nobody proposes a bill in the house on religious grounds. You can't however ask people not to pray or get inspiration from their god about a proposed bill, and some may or may chose not to support a bill because of the religion of the bill proposer. An increase in awareness will decrease the influence of gods.

P.s. A pastor is the current vice president of Nigeria but I do not see him ruling the nation with god said.

You're not wrong with your position that Nigeria is already secular, but thats by dedinition. We're still heavily religious.

I ask, how secular is Nigeria?

With Sharia in some northern states;
Government promoting and in some cases sponsoring religious activities and assemblies (eg Prayers);
Public primary and secondary schools conducting religious devotions every morning before commencing classes;
Government subsizing forex for pilgrimage;
Churches and mosques littered everywhere and often disturbing public peace with loud speakers positioned on the streets;
Even religion influences choice candidates for sensitive posts eg President and vice president.

How much legislations are there in the constitution that promotes secularism?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by budaatum: 4:28pm On Oct 14, 2017
undecided
DeSepiero:

You're not wrong with your position that Nigeria is already secular, but thats by dedinition. We're still heavily religious.

I ask, how secular is Nigeria?

With Sharia in some northern states;
Government promoting and in some cases sponsoring religious activities and assemblies (eg Prayers);
Public primary and secondary schools conducting religious devotions every morning before commencing classes;
Government subsizing forex for pilgrimage;
Churches and mosques littered everywhere and often disturbing public peace with loud speakers positioned on the streets;
Even religion influences choice candidates for sensitive posts eg President and vice president.

How much legislations are there in the constitution that promotes secularism?
I get you, but that's federal democracy for you. If the majority of us in a state worship zog and want to impose the worship of zog on ourselves, it is our democratic right, why shouldn't we be allowed to?

Nigerians are religious as individuals, and are at a stage where our gods rule supreme in every sphere of our lives.

budaatum:

As societies open up and access to information increases people become acquainted with other gods. Eventually, people realise that their god is not the only god and their god loses value over time. It is then that secularism comes about.

An increase in awareness will decrease the influence of gods.
A long time ago, sometime in the 1970s the family had one Bible or Quran it belonged to daddy, and god help any child who touched it. The Quran was in Arabic and people had to learn that language in order to read it.

One day Bibles were given to every student in a baptist secondary school in Lagos, but all the muslims didn't want theirs so the Christians could go home with 10 Bibles if they wanted.

In the 90s, 12 year olds had their own Bibles and the Quran was available in other languages so anyone could read it.

Today, everyone has Bibles and Qurans on their phones, and they are even disputing whether it is the word of god!

Lets wait another few years or so, and people will discover more books and their eyes will further open. They will see more and god will be no more important to them than Zeus and Osiris.

4 Likes

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 8:16am On Oct 15, 2017
budaatum:
undecided
I get you, but that's federal democracy for you. If the majority of us in a state worship zog and want to impose the worship of zog on ourselves, it is our democratic right, why shouldn't we be allowed to?

Nigerians are religious as individuals, and are at a stage where our gods rule supreme in every sphere of our lives.

A long time ago, sometime in the 1970s the family had one Bible or Quran it belonged to daddy, and god help any child who touched it. The Quran was in Arabic and people had to learn that language in order to read it.

One day Bibles were given to every student in a baptist secondary school in Lagos, but all the muslims didn't want theirs so the Christians could go home with 10 Bibles if they wanted.

In the 90s, 12 year olds had their own Bibles and the Quran was available in other languages so anyone could read it.

Today, everyone has Bibles and Qurans on their phones, and they are even disputing whether it is the word of god!

Lets wait another few years or so, and people will discover more books and their eyes will further open. They will see more and god will be no more important to them than Zeus and Osiris.

Brings us back to the issue at hand.
Will practical secularism promote religious tolerance?

1 Like

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 9:51am On Oct 15, 2017
Let's hear your views.

alBHAGDADI, superhumanist, YoungDaNaval, Uyi168, analice107, lalasticlala, Martinez, Akdegreat, Tosyne2much, Martinez19, Hahn, Jackbizzle, cloudgoddess, shadeyinka, asuustrike2009, shaybebaby, mrmrmister, AgentofAllah, Ifenes, AnonyNymous, sonofluc1fer, Butterflyl1on, AlBaqir, tintingz, DoctorAlien, winner01
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by shaybebaby(f): 11:53am On Oct 15, 2017
I'm going to say that legislating human rights and enforcing it will solve the problem.
Secularism suggests an ideological concept which for the religious masses may be seen as trying to deliberately water down their beliefs. I believe that may further fan the flames of resistance as it would be perceived as a threat.

On the other hand, whatever divides us be it faith, tribe, customs, all of that can be bridged by recognising something common to us all, we are humans.

Legislate it like it has been done in the West and non can claim religious persecution or dominance because all are guaranteed the same rights regardless of what you profess. Not only on individual level but it actually applies to the interaction between the state and its citizens.
Everyone can seek redress if that which they accord to others as mandated is infringed upon.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by InsanePsycho(m): 12:08pm On Oct 15, 2017
Religion should not be tolerated. It is an insult to human intelligence

People who believe in imaginary beings and all other nonsense, who abandon reason and logic over belief should be admitted into psychiatric hospitals and cured of their mental illnesses
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by Martin0(m): 12:19pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:
I'm going to say that legislating human rights and enforcing it will solve the problem.
Secularism suggests an ideological concept which for the religious masses may be seen as trying to deliberately water down their beliefs. I believe that may further fan the flames of resistance as it would be perceived as a threat.

On the other hand, whatever divides us be it faith, tribe, customs, all of that can be bridged by recognising something common to us all, we are humans.

Legislate it like it has been done in the West and non can claim religious persecution or dominance because all are guaranteed the same rights regardless of what you profess. Not only on individual level but it actually applies to the interaction between the state and its citizens.
Everyone can seek redress if that which they accord to others as mandated is infringed upon.

Hmmmm I agree to this point u made..
Secularism seeks to ensure and protect
freedom of religious belief and practice for all
citizens.
Well it a good opinion from you as this has helped turkey and india..
This idea is cool and I believe every literate nigerian should applaud it if it come into play..

1 Like

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by superhumanist(m): 12:20pm On Oct 15, 2017
Secularism and humanism are good for any nation. I say this because developed countries are mostly secular.

3 Likes

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 1:08pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

Two points are worthy of note - religious folks perceiving secularism as a threat to their cherished beliefs, and bridging our divide by a identifying our common belief.
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by shaybebaby(f): 1:13pm On Oct 15, 2017
DeSepiero:

Two points are worthy of note - religious folks perceiving secularism as a threat to their cherished beliefs, and bridging our divide by a identifying our common belief.
Succinctly put. I tend to waffle.
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 1:19pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

Succinctly put. I tend to waffle.

smiley The waffle is necessary sometimes.

Considering that secularism is antonymous to religiosity, any step at introducing secular legislation that promote human rights will at some point 'try to curb' religion.

This can't be avoided. So, at some point, religious folks will feel threatened. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by shaybebaby(f): 1:23pm On Oct 15, 2017
DeSepiero:

smiley The waffle is necessary sometimes.

Considering that secularism is antonymous to religiosity, any step at introducing secular legislation that promote human rights will at some point 'try to curb' religion.

This can't be avoided. So, at some point, religious folks will feel threatened. What do you think?
Not without exposing their hypocrisy. Lol. Human rights not only guarantees freedom of worship but freedom from persecution due to religious beliefs.

So how do they want to get round that?
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 1:27pm On Oct 15, 2017
Corroborating budaatum's suggestion, when the people increasingly begin to learn about other believe systems and ideologies, fanaticism would reduce.
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by shaybebaby(f): 1:30pm On Oct 15, 2017
DeSepiero:
Corroborating budaatum's suggestion, when the people increasingly begin to learn about other believe systems and ideologies, fanaticism would reduce.
Actually, solve the problem of poverty and see people get on like house on fire.

As it stands, most people are on survival mode with no foreseeable way out. Hence their steadfast adherence to religious dogma.
The fact that the most prosperous nations are the least religious says something.

4 Likes

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 1:32pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

Not without exposing their hypocrisy. Lol. Human rights not only guarantees freedom of worship but freedom from persecution due to religious beliefs.

So how do they want to get round that?

Worse is the fact that Nigeria is majorly divided against a Muslim north and predominantly Christian south.
Its a sensitive scenario where any slight move may be perceived as a domineering effort by one group.

1 Like

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DoctorAlien(m): 1:33pm On Oct 15, 2017
Inasmuch as I wish that all men everywhere would lift holy hands to God in worship, I actually think the church should be separate from the state. The powers and capacities of the state should not be used to further the agenda of the church. That has never been God's plan.

Marriage between the church and state anywhere has always resulted in a monstrous, unholy alliance that seeks to eliminate freedom, and enslave the minds and conscience of men.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by shaybebaby(f): 1:41pm On Oct 15, 2017
DeSepiero:

Worse is the fact that Nigeria is majorly divided against a Muslim north and predominantly Christian south.
Its a sensitive scenario where any slight move may be perceived as a domineering effort by one group.
Then we get a Muslim southerner or a Christian northerner.
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 1:54pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

Then we get a Muslim southerner or a Christian northerner.

cheesy . I find this humorous
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by shaybebaby(f): 1:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
DeSepiero:

cheesy . I find this humorous
This follows finding a common ground. grin
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 2:03pm On Oct 15, 2017
DoctorAlien:
Inasmuch as I wish that all men everywhere would lift holy hands to God in worship, I actually think the church should be separate from the state. The powers and capacities of the state should not be used to further the agenda of the church. That has never been God's plan.

Marriage between the church and state anywhere has always resulted in a monstrous, unholy alliance that seeks to eliminate freedom, and enslave the minds and conscience of men.

Seconded.
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by rekinomtla(m): 2:15pm On Oct 15, 2017
If an atheist state is established it will give atheists a golden opportunity to subjugate non-atheists, specifically theists. Which is currently happening in North Korea. The hatred of God flowing in their veins shall be poured out. And campaigns to eliminate religion will be put in effect, and any means necessary will be used to destroy religion. Religious adherents will be despised and hated in such environments. Communism will most likely also be the position of the state.
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 2:34pm On Oct 15, 2017
rekinomtla:
If an atheist state is established it will give atheists a golden opportunity to subjugate non-atheists, specifically theists. Which is currently happening in North Korea. The hatred of God flowing in their veins shall be poured out. And campaigns to eliminate religion will be put in effect, and any means necessary will be used to destroy religion. Religious adherents will be despised and hated in such environments. Communism will most likely also be the position of the state.

I'll start by saying that your statement may not be far from truth. The reverse is what is experienced in Nigeria being a highly religious and theistic state. Atheists and other irreligious people are often discriminated on, hated and despised.

However, please note that secularism is NOT same as atheism. Even a highly secular state is not necessarily an atheist state.

2 Likes

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by AgentOfAllah: 2:39pm On Oct 15, 2017
Although, secularism is widely seen as separation of religion and state. However, I'd like to broaden the definition for my purpose to include separation of state and ideology in general. By so doing, my advocacy for secularism makes sense to me. Since it would necessitate the adoption of governance by rational pragmatism. I use a redefined "secularism" because I don't know of any coinage that satisfactorily describes my meaning presently. Maybe I will make one up, in order to avoid confounding the widely accepted meaning of secularism with mine. So yes, given my definition, I do think it will ultimately promote religious tolerance provided it is not just promoted, but enforced.

3 Likes

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by Humanistme: 2:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
rekinomtla:

I think the OP meant secularism in from of a secular democracy where religious rights of the people will be protected.

for example France, Australia and USA (to an extent) are secular states yet they are not communist or dictatorial states.

1 Like

Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by DeSepiero(m): 3:33pm On Oct 15, 2017
AgentOfAllah:
Although, secularism is widely seen as separation of religion and state. However, I'd like to broaden the definition for my purpose to include separation of state and ideology in general. By so doing, my advocacy for secularism makes sense to me. Since it would necessitate the adoption of governance by rational pragmatism. I use a redefined "secularism" because I don't know of any coinage that satisfactorily describes my meaning presently. Maybe I will make one up, in order to avoid confounding the widely accepted meaning of secularism with mine. So yes, given my definition, I do think it will ultimately promote religious tolerance provided it is not just promoted, but enforced.

Considering the bolded, how do you react to this
shaybebaby:

Secularism suggests an ideological concept which for the religious masses may be seen as trying to deliberately water down their beliefs. I believe that may further fan the flames of resistance as it would be perceived as a threat..
Re: Will Secularism Promote Religious Tolerance In Nigeria ? What's Your Opinion. by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

I agree with you. Everybody should practice their religion .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Evolution And Christianity. Hold It Right There! / Our Righteousness Is Not Filthy Rags, God Wants Our Righteousness / Supposed Picture Of Popular Comedian Pulling Down Lady's Pants Stirs Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.