Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,452 members, 7,808,609 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:14 PM

5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria (5125 Views)

H1 2019: Fidelity Bank Posts Double Digit Growth In Earnings, Profitability / Unilever’s Sustainable Living Brands Delivered 70% Of Turnover Growth In 2017 / Apply For Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by magazineguy(m): 7:32am On Oct 16, 2017
Entrepreneurs are widely known as risk takers and Nigeria’s economy needs more of these bold and unique agents of positive growth and development. Entrepreneurship is an ideology that appeals to only a minute number of the Nigerian population and statistics has also revealed that despite intervention from governmental, local and international organizations; the situation remains the same.

It is a fact that for us to prosper as a nation, all aspects of our day to day living and activities demand befitting products and services. Most of the existing businesses also need the services of other professionals or company to acquire new skills and supply of inputs. Potential entrepreneurs should create a solution for need(s) of individuals, household or other businesses in the form of product or service and concentrate efforts on convincing prospects. Below are few of the beliefs that have slowed the growth of entrepreneurship in the country:

Entrepreneurship is very challenging

Yes, it is but also very rewarding when you eventually succeed. In order to minimize the challenges and failures, arm yourself with the right skills, information and team; carry out an objective research and also control your expenses in the short run as major losses at this stage can put you off forever.

Seeing capital as the first requirement

Randomly ask ten Nigerians why they don’t own a business and nine will instantly reply you it’s capital that is holding them back. If capital is as important as passion and readiness, most Nigerian governmental agencies like Small and Medium Scale Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN) would have recovered the huge loans given to most intending entrepreneurs in the past few years around the country .

Considering employment as the only source of livelihood

It’s quite disheartening to hear of persons especially graduates enduring prolong joblessness or harrowing jobs without considering starting a business. I once read about a Nigerian lady who became popular after starting shoes making business. She was jobless for six years after graduation and after she finally landed a job, she was unfulfilled thus her decision to venture into shoes making, a decision that changed her life for the better.

Believing that to become successful in business demands connection with people in high places

You can solely network yourself to the top if you offer good product or service. And you can be referred by connected people only to get turned down because of poor offering. You need to be armed with good offering, great communication skills and confidence and you will be surprised with the number of doors that will be opened for you.

Being afraid of failure

Failure is something everyone is afraid of but not trying at all is worst. Imagine being afraid to walk because you believe your healthy legs will break into pieces if you try to. Failure is mostly an illusion that is meant to be fended away as soon as it appears in your thoughts.

source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/thoughts-inhibiting-entrepreneurship/

cc
lalasticala, mynd44, dominique

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Desyner: 7:43am On Oct 16, 2017
OP has spoken well but as for me there are other, in my opinion, more telling external factors that inhibit entrepreneurship growth.
Power supply cost & unpredicability.
Transportation.
Bribery n Corruption (example : Your yam export may rot in port if you don't play by hidden rules).
High cost of raw material.
Dollar subsidy.

9 Likes

Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by zekepio(m): 7:44am On Oct 16, 2017
entrepreneurship isn't easy. if you haven't been there you won't know
meanwhile
http://medical9ja..com.ng/2017/10/collision-with-team-mate-goalkeeper-dies.html?m=1
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by kagari: 7:44am On Oct 16, 2017
To me I say agriculture, agriculture and agriculture

What we have everywhere are e-farmers that only wants to sell e-book with no form of practically and on-hands experience.

Nigeria wake up

https://www.nairaland.com/4104935/general-market-food-price-weekly

1 Like

Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by designVATExcel: 7:45am On Oct 16, 2017
Entrepreneurship is hard mehn.. particularly in developing countries where the environment is not enabling.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 16, 2017
Certifcate
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Milo30(m): 7:47am On Oct 16, 2017
This writeup is factual

1 Like

Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Ycmia: 7:49am On Oct 16, 2017
really?
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 16, 2017
It is hard and u go lose ur money easily if not careful
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Finstar: 7:52am On Oct 16, 2017
Valid points.. If you're an entrepreneur or aspiring entrepreneur, then don't hesitate to visit this entrepreneurial platform, you'll be inspired.. Visit www.entmirror.com
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by romoruyi(m): 7:54am On Oct 16, 2017
Hmmmm....
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Mrdecent(m): 8:00am On Oct 16, 2017
I am into one now... I. Must tell u e no easy. For the past 4 days now we eat cos no sales. But this week will be good
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by BakireBulmaker: 8:05am On Oct 16, 2017
Entrepreneurship is quite challenging.

This 'change' era made it worse.

Hunger wan kill me...

Thank God it didn't before I re-embraced my pali.
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by uwabuwa888: 8:05am On Oct 16, 2017
The problem of Young Nigerian is NO one want to start small....and grow big..but want to start by owning 2 private cars ...also savings is another major factor in Nigerian youth,,,, talk more of the virus called BETTING, that one has finished our Youth including Me and you..but thank God am stopping it and brothers my savings skills is incredibly increasing

3 Likes

Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by salesforce: 8:06am On Oct 16, 2017
Good
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Saverin: 8:09am On Oct 16, 2017
magazineguy:
Entrepreneurs are widely known as risk takers and Nigeria’s economy needs more of these bold and unique agents of positive growth and development. Entrepreneurship is an ideology that appeals to only a minute number of the Nigerian population and statistics has also revealed that despite intervention from governmental, local and international organizations; the situation remains the same.

It is a fact that for us to prosper as a nation, all aspects of our day to day living and activities demand befitting products and services. Most of the existing businesses also need the services of other professionals or company to acquire new skills and supply of inputs. Potential entrepreneurs should create a solution for need(s) of individuals, household or other businesses in the form of product or service and concentrate efforts on convincing prospects. Below are few of the beliefs that have slowed the growth of entrepreneurship in the country:

Entrepreneurship is very challenging

Yes, it is but also very rewarding when you eventually succeed. In order to minimize the challenges and failures, arm yourself with the right skills, information and team; carry out an objective research and also control your expenses in the short run as major losses at this stage can put you off forever.

Seeing capital as the first requirement

Randomly ask ten Nigerians why they don’t own a business and nine will instantly reply you it’s capital that is holding them back. If capital is as important as passion and readiness, most Nigerian governmental agencies like Small and Medium Scale Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN) would have recovered the huge loans given to most intending entrepreneurs in the past few years around the country .

Considering employment as the only source of livelihood

It’s quite disheartening to hear of persons especially graduates enduring prolong joblessness or harrowing jobs without considering starting a business. I once read about a Nigerian lady who became popular after starting shoes making business. She was jobless for six years after graduation and after she finally landed a job, she was unfulfilled thus her decision to venture into shoes making, a decision that changed her life for the better.

Believing that to become successful in business demands connection with people in high places

You can solely network yourself to the top if you offer good product or service. And you can be referred by connected people only to get turned down because of poor offering. You need to be armed with good offering, great communication skills and confidence and you will be surprised with the number of doors that will be opened for you.

Being afraid of failure

Failure is something everyone is afraid of but not trying at all is worst. Imagine being afraid to walk because you believe your healthy legs will break into pieces if you try to. Failure is mostly an illusion that is meant to be fended away as soon as it appears in your thoughts.

source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/thoughts-inhibiting-entrepreneurship/

cc
lalasticala, mynd44, dominique

these thoughts are valid
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Lapeywilliams(m): 8:22am On Oct 16, 2017
Buy the truth.

Hundreds of acres of virgin land available in Ibadan N250,000/acre.

Contact Mr. Sholape @ 08020626259 for enquiries.
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by Priscaah(f): 8:27am On Oct 16, 2017
Convert your bitcoin, itunes card, pm, PayPal instantly. Whatsapp 08116003307
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by akinsmail51: 8:38am On Oct 16, 2017
Thank you very much for this apt post.

On a more serious note, entrepreneurial activities are not bread and butter as people do acclaim; most especially in a struggling economy like ours where wherewithal for successful business pursuits is nonexistent and imaginary. Though with persistence and tenacity one would get there one day.
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by silasweb(m): 11:32am On Oct 16, 2017
Thanks for the tips
Re: 5 Thoughts Inhibiting Entrepreneurship Growth In Nigeria by mikolo80: 8:13pm On Oct 16, 2017
Desyner:
OP has spoken well but as for me there are other, in my opinion, more telling external factors that inhibit entrepreneurship growth.
Power supply cost & unpredicability

Solar
Gas turbine
Cheap labour
Business travelers need electricity

Transportation.

How do you get around

Bribery n Corruption (example : Your yam export may rot in port if you don't play by hidden rules).

Togo or Cameroon

High cost of raw material.

Dollar subsidy.

Timing
[quote]

(1) (Reply)

My Journey To Building A Multi-million Naira Brand In 2 Years / How To Dominate Facebook & Promote Your Affiliate Offers,cpa, Blog & Videos FREE / Ice Bock Machine (austin Lazarus) For Sale At Give Away Price.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.