Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Man Defrauds Elizade Motors In Jesus’ Name Defrauds - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Defrauds Elizade Motors In Jesus’ Name Defrauds (2279 Views)

Online Car Dealer Defrauds Neighbour Of N5m / Man, 26, Defrauds U.S. Citizen Of $35,000 (pictured) / Man Defrauds In-law In N9m Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Defrauds Elizade Motors In Jesus’ Name Defrauds by REALTRUTH1: 12:52pm On Mar 12, 2010
Man Defrauds Elizade Motors In Jesus’ NameDefrauds
March 11, 2010 17:09, 369 views

By Paul sanusi

Both officials and the audience at the Somolu Magistrate’s Court in Lagos were stunned yesterday on hearing that a suspected fraudster, Obinna Uwakaneme, 29, obtained two vehicles, a Toyota Landcruiser jeep worth N14.5 million and a Toyota Yaris valued at N3.2 million when he issued a dud cheque to the tune of N17.7 million to the company.

The audience became dumbfounded when in his statement to the Anthony, Lagos Police Station, Uwakaneme, a native of Arochukwu, Abia State claimed that he used the name of Jesus Christ to perpetrate the fraud.

“I acted on the faith I have in Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I did not have the money in my bank account. But I issued the cheque to the company even when I knew it was a dud cheque. I acted on my faith which made me to break the law when I wrote a cheque without the money in my bank account,” wrote Uwakaneme in his statement to the police.

The police have arraigned the suspect on a two-count charge of obtaining the two vehicles with a total value of N17.7 million under false pretence contrary to and punishable under Section 419 of the Criminal Code and also stealing the vehicles contrary to Section 390(9) of the Criminal Code, Cap. 17. Vol. 6, laws of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2003.

According to the prosecutor, Inspector Adegoke Akinlabi, Uwakaneme committed the alleged crime on 20 November, 2009, at the Elizade Motors Nigeria Limited, Anthony, Lagos, but was dragged to court yesterday.

P.M.NEWS learnt that the two cars were delivered to Uwakaneme the following day (21 November, 2009) when the company had not cashed his cheque.

The suspect quickly sold the Toyota Yaris to a Lt. Ccolonel in the Nigerian Army for the sum of N1.8 million while he contacted a car dealer on Oba Akran Avenue, Ikeja to assist him to sell the Toyota Landcruiser SUV.

The car dealer, Chike Maduabum wrote to Elizade Motors to confirm the authenticity of the sale to Uwakaneme. Before he got a reply, the police traced the Toyota Landcruiser to his office and retrieved it.

The Army Colonel, who bought the Toyota Yaris for N1.8 million is now pleading with the court to refund his money to him since the police have withdrawn the car from him.

However, when the suspect was charged before the Somolu Magistrate’s court presided over by Mrs. B.O Osunsanmi, he pleaded not guilty to the two counts.

Mrs. Osunsanmi admitted him to bail in the sum of N500,000 with two sureties in like sum. Each of the two sureties must present evidence of tax payment while their addresses will be verified by the court.

In addition, the sureties will deposit N50,000 cash with the court. Since Uwakaneme has not been able to meet the bail conditions, he was ordered to be remanded in prison custody.

The case which had suffered three adjournments was again adjourned till 28 April, 2010 for trial.

Meanwhile, Uwakaneme will likely remain in prison custody while the trial lasts or until he could present sureties who could meet the court’s condition.

http://thepmnews.com/2010/03/11/man-defrauds-elizade-motors-in-jesus-namedefrauds
Re: Man Defrauds Elizade Motors In Jesus’ Name Defrauds by oge4real(f): 10:49pm On Mar 12, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

wonderss of Nazareth.
Re: Man Defrauds Elizade Motors In Jesus’ Name Defrauds by REALTRUTH1: 11:25pm On Mar 12, 2010
oge4real:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

wonderss of Nazareth.
Why wondering,,,its by faith some used this same Jesus name buy car,,buy aeroplane,,,some its even by faith to stole almost all the money in Nigerain banks and finally disappeared from Naija,,,,So this man just did'nt apply his faith in Jesus very well,,,,he should much more than this,,,
Re: Man Defrauds Elizade Motors In Jesus’ Name Defrauds by SirRogers: 11:49pm On Mar 14, 2010
Some pple no dey fear God at all. But it was also stupid of Elizade themselves to release the cars without cashing their check first.

(1) (Reply)

Upper Iweka Anambra Crime Headquarters / Pretty Blind Girl Doing Prostitution To Raise Money For Her Operation (photo) / Two Girls Filmed Attempting To Rape A Guy (watch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.