Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into (2488 Views)

LOL, See How Marvis Reacted To Davido's Awkward Pic. / TSTV Launches In Nigeria: Channels, Packages, Subscription & Decoder Prices / DSTV In Trouble As TSTV Takes Center Stage On 1st October, Offer Pay-as-go Subsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by Abyduel7: 11:39am On Oct 17, 2017
LoL: See what TSTV has forced DSTV into;

who says competition is not good;

more pics @ http://www.ifeanyicy.com/2017/10/lol-see-what-tstv-has-forced-dstv-into.html

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 17, 2017
awon weyrey grin

1 Like

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by AntiWailer: 11:48am On Oct 17, 2017
No we need where we can return the decoder and dish to.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by nwaanambra1(m): 11:58am On Oct 17, 2017
i have already suspended all my subscription till TSTV resumes operation!

Just doing it in protest to south african extortions in nigeria!

will soon suspend my MTN sim! only say glo is not encouraging at all! cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by Ogbeniayo(m): 12:06pm On Oct 17, 2017
They can tell us where to drop decoder with dish. Lol

1 Like

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by nwaanambra1(m): 12:13pm On Oct 17, 2017
AntiWailer:
No we need where we can return the decoder and dish to.

GBAMEST! cheesy cheesy
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by Gentlevin: 12:34pm On Oct 17, 2017
Dstv I don't need to email my I'd to u guys...I have already cross-checked my I'd and its mine....so therefore suspension of dstv, gotv.....has begun.
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by Mediapace: 1:08pm On Oct 17, 2017
Mad people

When i wan use am back, i go still use 2k to call them before they re-activate it for me again

1 Like

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by Itohan11: 1:55pm On Oct 17, 2017
Competition is good in businesses but we don't know what tstv is offering subscribers. We have being waiting for tstv since July 25.
However, click on this link and read for yourself
http://digisattvworld..com.ng/2014/11/you-can-now-connect-to-internet-with.html?m=1
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by Itohan11: 2:27pm On Oct 17, 2017
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by Itohan11: 2:33pm On Oct 17, 2017
Opinion: TSTV: Nigeria Or Not, We Won’t Settle For Less

By Festus Igeniwari

The very instant I saw TSTV’s claims, I knew something wasn’t right. And I maintain that the PayTV industry in Nigeria is a level-playing field for everyone serious and capable enough to offer Nigerians the best value for money in world-class content.

First of all, it is important Nigerians realize that – as a rule – you don’t start off a marathon by sprinting; and when a claim sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

While I wouldn’t bug anyone with pay-tv lingo, it is now pertinent for Nigerians to grasp the rudiments of how the industry works; and the indices represented in the chain, right up to their television sets.

Pay-tv services providers only act as platform for several television content. And content doesn’t come free. As in, they aren’t just plucked out of nowhere, and broadcasted. No, because that would amount to piracy and infringement on intellectual property rights. So, how do pay-tv service providers get content for their subscribers? They buy rights. And why do they buy them? Well, because that movie, that sport content, involves a plethora of talents and production costs, and the owners aren’t in it for charity.

Thus, they pay and, if you want it, you pay as well. It’s why it is called “PAY-TV”! And guess what? The demand in a given market will determine how much the right for a certain content goes for in that market, as the cost isn’t always a one-size-fits-all. What does this mean? If the Premier League, for instance, is of a higher demand in Nigeria than, say, Ghana, the cost to acquire the Premier League rights here, would definitely be higher than it is in Ghana. Also, there are a number of other indices right owners take into consideration in fixing the price of content for a particular market, after which the service provider will need to consider the factors of its socio-economic environment in fixing subscription rates, so as to stay afloat.

Now, back to Nigeria. Nay, let’s talk about DStv. DStv launched in Nigeria in 1995 and, over the years, has increased the number of channels on its platform to more than a hundred, all of which can be accessed in its highest bouquet – DStv Premium. Also, over the years, DStv has continued to live up to its claim of offering the best TV entertainment in Africa viz aligning with the entertainment needs of its subscribers.

The English Premier League is one of Nigeria’s most sought-after TV content; and in 2007, when DStv lost the rights to HItv, it stepped up its game by reinforcing its local content offering on Africa Magic. Thus, in its trying time, it saw an opportunity to beef of its armor as the king of content in its market, using the threat to focus on developing local content further, which then proved – once again – to be a compelling need among Nigerians. Now that’s how you do business: identify a niche, latch on to it, turn the tide, and offer even more in the end. As a result, at the end of the 2007 saga, it dawned on many football-loving Nigerians that there is a whole lot more to DStv than football.

I am Nigerian but I am also a consumer who wants the best value for his money. While I – like other compatriots – may want to appeal to my sense of patriotism in choice of goods and services, I must also appeal to my need for quality viz what is readily obtainable. DStv has been in Nigeria for twenty-two whole years, and have maintained the lead in quality TV entertainment, Nigeria’s socio-economic environment notwithstanding. And like I have mentioned here, it is easy to have a layman appraisal of what it costs to bring such world-class content to your TV sets. So far, I have only used football nay, the Premier League, as an example. Albeit, in its offering, DStv has hundreds of content in its over hundred channels, each of which comes at a cost. Not in Naira, but in US dollars. Darn! Need I mention the La Liga, Serie A, the Champions League…and this is just FOOTBALL. Now, let’s talk about the other sports, and then go on to the movie channels (those movies aren’t played from a DVD from a secret location outside Nigeria, by the way), and then the local channels…the movies…news….er, what else? Anyway, I am sure you understand. Let me reiterate: THEY ARE ALL PAID FOR!

Like I mentioned earlier: the moment I saw TSTV’s claims, I knew straightaway there is no way they could have been 100% genuine, knowing what goes into acquiring them, and measuring it against their claims to dole out 20G worth of internet data as well. Only the government can offer such and with heavy subsidy too! Come to think of it: how much does it cost you to subscribe to a telco internet plan? Now add the cost of individual rights for TV content, overhead and etcetera. This isn’t rocket science actually.

In order to feel the pulse of any industry, you must study its major players. It will give you an idea of what makes it tick, and what it entails to delve into it or, like Nigerians will say, “to chook head inside”

I am Nigerian but I want the best for my money, and will only pay anyone who means business. As in, clean, honest business. Neither will I sacrifice quality on the altar of nationalistic sentiment, especially since there is level-playing field for all.

While we often talk about “buying Naija”, our businessmen must realize that we, as a nation, must live up to our highest potential as a people- in the ability to offer the best and, more importantly, deal conscientiously.

Let’s not forget: if it sounds too good to be true, then it most likely is.

I would rather TSTV to do their homework well because whipping up pretentious sentiments has never helped anyone in the long run. Neither does relying on it help long-term sustenance. TSTV must not renege on their initial promise. Otherwise, it would amount to devious manipulation and a play on our collective intelligence.

You don’t start off a marathon by sprinting. Not when your opponent has twenty-two solid years under his belt. You must know what you are doing. You must realize that the people you aim to reach are watching out for the outcome.

Nigeria or not, we won’t settle for less. Let all be challenged, and step up to it. The floor is open.

That’s all.

Igeniwari, a public affairs commentator, writes from Port Harcourt

1 Like

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by lacidi: 2:35pm On Oct 17, 2017
This I not new na. I always suspend my DSTV subscription when I travel. Why is Op making it look like it is a new service that DSTV included because of TSTV. Haba na.

1 Like

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by lekky2017: 2:45pm On Oct 17, 2017
TStv, must you engage in bad belle to enter the digital satellite television business in Nigeria? I guess this company is afraid of its own shadow. Why try to paint your competitor bad even before you deplore any signal at all? Haba, this is not how to do business. If you are really serious about this business, roll out your business operations on November 1 like you promised, that is if you don't fail to again. TStv, please get serious!!!
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by lekky2017: 2:51pm On Oct 17, 2017
nwaanambra1:

will soon suspend my MTN sim! only say glo is not encouraging at all! cheesy cheesy

Must you see everything in that light? Do you know how many Nigerians are working in DStv? Even MTN that you mentioned, do you know how many Nigerian families are benefitting? Please get real and go beyond your myopic sentiments. If TStv is worth its salt and can give DStv what it takes, so be it but dont let us bring selfish sentiments to all of this!!!

3 Likes

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 17, 2017
Itohan11:

By Festus Igeniwari

The very instant I saw TSTV’s claims, I knew something wasn’t right. And I maintain that the PayTV industry in Nigeria is a level-playing field for everyone serious and capable enough to offer Nigerians the best value for money in world-class content.

First of all, it is important Nigerians realize that – as a rule – you don’t start off a marathon by sprinting; and when a claim sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

While I wouldn’t bug anyone with pay-tv lingo, it is now pertinent for Nigerians to grasp the rudiments of how the industry works; and the indices represented in the chain, right up to their television sets.

Pay-tv services providers only act as platform for several television content. And content doesn’t come free. As in, they aren’t just plucked out of nowhere, and broadcasted. No, because that would amount to piracy and infringement on intellectual property rights. So, how do pay-tv service providers get content for their subscribers? They buy rights. And why do they buy them? Well, because that movie, that sport content, involves a plethora of talents and production costs, and the owners aren’t in it for charity.

Thus, they pay and, if you want it, you pay as well. It’s why it is called “PAY-TV”! And guess what? The demand in a given market will determine how much the right for a certain content goes for in that market, as the cost isn’t always a one-size-fits-all. What does this mean? If the Premier League, for instance, is of a higher demand in Nigeria than, say, Ghana, the cost to acquire the Premier League rights here, would definitely be higher than it is in Ghana. Also, there are a number of other indices right owners take into consideration in fixing the price of content for a particular market, after which the service provider will need to consider the factors of its socio-economic environment in fixing subscription rates, so as to stay afloat.

Now, back to Nigeria. Nay, let’s talk about DStv. DStv launched in Nigeria in 1995 and, over the years, has increased the number of channels on its platform to more than a hundred, all of which can be accessed in its highest bouquet – DStv Premium. Also, over the years, DStv has continued to live up to its claim of offering the best TV entertainment in Africa viz aligning with the entertainment needs of its subscribers.

The English Premier League is one of Nigeria’s most sought-after TV content; and in 2007, when DStv lost the rights to HItv, it stepped up its game by reinforcing its local content offering on Africa Magic. Thus, in its trying time, it saw an opportunity to beef of its armor as the king of content in its market, using the threat to focus on developing local content further, which then proved – once again – to be a compelling need among Nigerians. Now that’s how you do business: identify a niche, latch on to it, turn the tide, and offer even more in the end. As a result, at the end of the 2007 saga, it dawned on many football-loving Nigerians that there is a whole lot more to DStv than football.

I am Nigerian but I am also a consumer who wants the best value for his money. While I – like other compatriots – may want to appeal to my sense of patriotism in choice of goods and services, I must also appeal to my need for quality viz what is readily obtainable. DStv has been in Nigeria for twenty-two whole years, and have maintained the lead in quality TV entertainment, Nigeria’s socio-economic environment notwithstanding. And like I have mentioned here, it is easy to have a layman appraisal of what it costs to bring such world-class content to your TV sets. So far, I have only used football nay, the Premier League, as an example. Albeit, in its offering, DStv has hundreds of content in its over hundred channels, each of which comes at a cost. Not in Naira, but in US dollars. Darn! Need I mention the La Liga, Serie A, the Champions League…and this is just FOOTBALL. Now, let’s talk about the other sports, and then go on to the movie channels (those movies aren’t played from a DVD from a secret location outside Nigeria, by the way), and then the local channels…the movies…news….er, what else? Anyway, I am sure you understand. Let me reiterate: THEY ARE ALL PAID FOR!

Like I mentioned earlier: the moment I saw TSTV’s claims, I knew straightaway there is no way they could have been 100% genuine, knowing what goes into acquiring them, and measuring it against their claims to dole out 20G worth of internet data as well. Only the government can offer such and with heavy subsidy too! Come to think of it: how much does it cost you to subscribe to a telco internet plan? Now add the cost of individual rights for TV content, overhead and etcetera. This isn’t rocket science actually.

In order to feel the pulse of any industry, you must study its major players. It will give you an idea of what makes it tick, and what it entails to delve into it or, like Nigerians will say, “to chook head inside”

I am Nigerian but I want the best for my money, and will only pay anyone who means business. As in, clean, honest business. Neither will I sacrifice quality on the altar of nationalistic sentiment, especially since there is level-playing field for all.

While we often talk about “buying Naija”, our businessmen must realize that we, as a nation, must live up to our highest potential as a people- in the ability to offer the best and, more importantly, deal conscientiously.

I would rather TSTV to do their homework well because whipping up pretentious sentiments has never helped anyone in the long run. Neither does relying on it help long-term sustenance. TSTV must not renege on their initial promise. Otherwise, it would amount to devious manipulation and a play on our collective intelligence.

You don’t start off a marathon by sprinting. Not when your opponent has twenty-two solid years under his belt. You must know what you are doing. You must realize that the people you aim to reach are watching out for the outcome.

Nigeria or not, we won’t settle for less. Let all be challenged, and step up to it. The floor is open.

That’s all.

Your comment is biased from the beginning to the end. You are just attacking tstv for nothing.Why the sudden introduction of gotv max by multi choice? Why the sudden introduction of pause subscription? What is multi choice afraid of? Do you think tstv haven't study the market? They know what they're doing. At least multi choice is sitting up

1 Like

Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by valgbo(m): 7:11pm On Oct 17, 2017
Itohan11:

By Festus Igeniwari

That’s all.

where's your DSTV office... PH branch?
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by nwaanambra1(m): 7:28pm On Oct 17, 2017
lekky2017:

[s]Must you see everything in that light? Do you know how many Nigerians are working in DStv? Even MTN that you mentioned, do you know how many Nigerian families are benefitting? Please get real and go beyond your myopic sentiments. If TStv is worth its salt and can give DStv what it takes, so be it but dont let us bring selfish sentiments to all of this!!![/s]

my subscription!

my money!

my decision!

oga why u dey cry me?? hia!

ejikwa m'ogu oo! shocked shocked
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by bigtt76(f): 7:19am On Oct 18, 2017
Feature has always been there from get go. All you need to do was call them but you can't suspend more than twice in a year undecided

Abyduel7:
LoL: See what TSTV has forced DSTV into;

who says competition is not good;

more pics @ http://www.ifeanyicy.com/2017/10/lol-see-what-tstv-has-forced-dstv-into.html
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by soloqy: 1:40am On Oct 24, 2017
nwaanambra1:

So what happens to the thousands of Nigerians employed by those two companies? What happens to the thousands of Nigerians directly and indirectly benefitting from them contributing to the economy and the well being of their families?

Some of you can be so myopic.
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by NigerDeltan(m): 10:01am On Oct 24, 2017
lekky2017:

Must you see everything in that light? Do you know how many Nigerians are working in DStv? Even MTN that you mentioned, do you know how many Nigerian families are benefitting? Please get real and go beyond your myopic sentiments. If TStv is worth its salt and can give DStv what it takes, so be it but dont let us bring selfish sentiments to all of this!!!

If you are working with dstv I advised you take your CV to TSTV before its too late

Speaking grammar here won't help you bc TSTV will not employ foreigners same Nigerians
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by soloqy: 10:06am On Oct 24, 2017
NigerDeltan:

If you are working with dstv I advised you take your CV to TSTV before its too late

Speaking grammar here won't help you bc TSTV will not employ foreigners same Nigerians

Dstv, Startimes, Kwese TV are all employing aliens in Nigeria abi?

Myopic pretty much.
Re: Lol: See What TSTV Has Forced DSTV Into by NickMark1(m): 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2017
nwaanambra1:

bro...global dey Bleep up big time...

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Americans Now Remaking Old Movies? / X-men: First Class' Follow-up Previously Converse / Merlin Is Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.