Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It (15279 Views)

Someone Help Me With Info On How to Check if a car is not stolen / These Are Toyota Camry Facts You May Not Know – A Peek Into The Unknown / The 2017 Mazda Vision Car Is The Most Beautiful Sedan You've Ever Seen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by mrpeps(m): 4:03pm On Oct 17, 2017
Hi Guys,
So this got me thinking that
SCENERIO 1
what if a car is stolen here in Nigeria and the plate no are removed and its put up for sale as Tokunbo (from border Cotonou).(i.e car is still neat an new and does not have a glass inscription of any sort)
How do one know its not a stolen car.

SCENERIO 2
What if the car was stolen and already registered with plate no, and the papers to the car have been changed and its put up for sale.
How do you know its not a stolen car?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by TPound(m): 8:35am On Oct 18, 2017
then verify at www.legitcar.ng

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by nurey(m): 1:07pm On Oct 18, 2017
Put a gun to the sellers head and tell him to tell you the truth about the car, if he stammers in answering splatter his brain on the nearest wall with the gun.

but if he is confident in responding to your treats and says not to worry, split his brain open with the gun, he is only pretending

If he is indifferent in answering your question and you dont trust him, release bullets in his legs, when he is wriggling in pain, take a knife and cut off one ear, then grabbing the second ear, tell him you are gonna use the car for a year, if no issues with law enforcement, you will come and pay for the car.

Culled from Grand Theft Auto

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by jaychubi: 4:28pm On Oct 18, 2017
D cost is one of d pointers, make sure you buy from a registered dealer who u can always lead the police to if u are caught with one.

Even police can tell if u kw a car is stolen n yet u bought jst frm d purchase price.

U can't be 100% sure if a car is stolen or nt but u ve to be 100% sure u r protected if anything happens by @ least buying from someone u kw or a registered dealer

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by mrpeps(m): 5:47pm On Oct 18, 2017
nurey:
Put a gun to the sellers head and tell him to tell you the truth about the car, if he stammers in answering splatter his brain on the nearest wall with the gun.

but if he is confident in responding to your treats and says not to worry, split his brain open with the gun, he is only pretending

If he is indifferent in answering your question and you dont trust him, release bullets in his legs, when he is wriggling in pain, take a knife and cut off one ear, then grabbing the second ear, tell him you are gonna use the car for a year, if no issues with law enforcement, you will come and pay for the car.

You soo funny but for real.....these
are the question bugging right now

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by clemz85(m): 6:04pm On Oct 18, 2017
If it's Nigerian used ask for the papers, take the registration number and run it in system, if it's in auto reg, I think the 1st user profile pops up, if it's toks ask for custom clearance or TINCAN or the purchase receipt from beyond.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by nony43(m): 7:01am On Oct 19, 2017
Bros buy from direct dealere

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by Finstar: 7:01am On Oct 19, 2017
Go and ask ifa, he never fails cheesy

Visit www.entmirror.com for Business ideas
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by Noblebrown7(m): 7:01am On Oct 19, 2017
Just passing..
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by JoshMedia: 7:01am On Oct 19, 2017
Yes, you can

Check my signature
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by 9japrof(m): 7:02am On Oct 19, 2017
Following thread like kilode
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by kay29000(m): 7:02am On Oct 19, 2017
Hmm
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by shoskid(m): 7:02am On Oct 19, 2017
OK continue

1 Like

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by Dmeji4444(m): 7:03am On Oct 19, 2017
No idea
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by ToluSuo(m): 7:03am On Oct 19, 2017
k
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by zinnywonders(f): 7:04am On Oct 19, 2017
clemz85:
If it's Nigerian used ask for the papers, take the registration number and run it in system, if it's in auto reg, I think the 1st user profile pops up, if it's toks ask for custom clearance or TINCAN or the purchase receipt from beyond.

What it doesn't have custom clearance cos that's what am experiencing?
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by carpmam: 7:05am On Oct 19, 2017
Frm d price nd papers f d car u can knw if it's stolen
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by mostyg(m): 7:06am On Oct 19, 2017
I m also interested
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by chrischina(m): 7:07am On Oct 19, 2017
nurey:

Good one, nobody will take you for a teaching job, people will die well well
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by Ericjohnsonjnr(m): 7:08am On Oct 19, 2017
This stolen car thing happens often ...most people fall victim of it ...I'm a victim and have seen a lot of dealers fall victim of it even one of my boss is in oshogbo right now cause of this ...we don't know who to trust again before we think it's only used car that they steal now it's tokumbo ...my brother if you want to buy a car to show it's not stolen ..
(1) don't buy by the road side
(2) let them give you the original document of the car ...don't hear any story
(3) if it's a used car .collect the number of the previous user..if it's tokumbo make sure you collect the company receipt
(4) pray to God cause oshogbo no good ooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by Emeka71(m): 7:10am On Oct 19, 2017
nurey:

Silly you.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by chrischina(m): 7:10am On Oct 19, 2017
zinnywonders:

What it doesn't have custom clearance cos that's what am experiencing?

Better sell the car or drive to 3rd mainland bridge and do the needful thing, that is if you have a car oo.
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by coonett87: 7:11am On Oct 19, 2017
1. Google the chassis or VIN number to know if it has been reported stolen b4 now.

2. Ask for the original complete custom papers even if it is Nigerian used vehicle.

3. Ensure it is a registered dealer well known for sometime.

4. Contact any of ur police friend or lawyer during the deal for proper documentation.

5. Go to Road Safety office or VIO urself to ensure u change the ownership in the system urself avoiding giving to touts to assist u.

I lost my car in May this year and believe if we ensure reporting the incident online by providing the vehicle details especially the VIN, it will curb car theft in Nigeria. I also advise buyers to also check online b4 buying. Finally everyone should store his/her chassis number on phone and ensure its correct incase of theft.

Best of luck OP

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by Emeka71(m): 7:13am On Oct 19, 2017
jaychubi:
D cost is one of d pointers, make sure you buy from a registered dealer who u can always lead the police to if u are caught with one.

Even police can tell if u kw a car is stolen n yet u bought jst frm d purchase price.

U can't be 100% sure if a car is stolen or nt but u ve to be 100% sure u r protected if anything happens by @ least buying from someone u kw or a registered dealer
Stealing of cars is real and easy business these days as thr car thieves take cars with delight and sell off to car dealers; they steal those cars with ease because they monitor when nobody is aware of the car parked at vulnerable place; and owner is no wherr around; one even gave a nice Camry as a birthday gift to his friend. tongue
jaychubi:

Stealing of cars is real and easy business these days as thr car thieves take cars with delight and sell off to car dealers; they steal those cars with ease because they monitor when nobody is aware of the car parked at vulnerable place; and owner is no wherr around; one even gave a nice Camry as a birthday gift to his friend.
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by jomoh: 7:13am On Oct 19, 2017
nurey:

OP this is the surest answer right here. grin grin
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by Ipfreely: 7:17am On Oct 19, 2017
One of the pitfalls of the lack of responsible or reliable record keeping in our beloved country.

The solution would be as easy as providing the VIN or Chassis number to our equivalent of the NICB for a history report.

I know that since 2015 or thereabouts though, the VIN has been tied to registration numbers, at least for Lagos State registered vehicles. Unfortunately there's no public VIN-searchable portal just yet. The closest is the https://www.lsmvaapvs.org site for Lagos State registration numbers.

I suppose if you had some contacts within the FRSC or the Lagos Auto Registration Agency you could find out if they're able to run a VIN query.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by slurity1: 7:24am On Oct 19, 2017
kiss
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by gbagyiza: 7:24am On Oct 19, 2017
clemz85:

My opinion is that any body that want to sell a used car, d seller n d buyer should go to d right security agent to obtain a clearance form before buying so that if d car happens to be a stolen car d buyer will be free from any charges...I think a kind of arrangement like this should be put in place by Nigerian government..

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by psalmson001: 7:35am On Oct 19, 2017
Take the registration number to the nearest police station for confirmation, and if possible, have it in record.
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by eagleonearth(m): 7:37am On Oct 19, 2017
coonett87:
1. Google the chassis or VIN number to know if it has been reported stolen b4 now.

2. Ask for the original complete custom papers even if it is Nigerian used vehicle.

3. Ensure it is a registered dealer well known for sometime.

4. Contact any of ur police friend or lawyer during the deal for proper documentation.

5. Go to Road Safety office or VIO urself to ensure u change the ownership in the system urself avoiding giving to touts to assist u.

I lost my car in May this year and believe if we ensure reporting the incident online by providing the vehicle details especially the VIN, it will curb car theft in Nigeria. I also advise buyers to also check online b4 buying. Finally everyone should store his/her chassis number on phone and ensure its correct incase of theft.

Best of luck OP
did your VIN help you in recovering your lost car?
Re: How Can I Know A Car Is Not Stolen Before Purchasing It by mapet: 7:41am On Oct 19, 2017
mrpeps:
Hi Guys,
So this got me thinking that
SCENERIO 1
what if a car is stolen here in Nigeria and the plate no are removed and its put up for sale as Tokunbo (from border Cotonou).(i.e car is still neat an new and does not have a glass inscription of any sort)
How do one know its not a stolen car.

SCENERIO 2
What if the car was stolen and already registered with plate no, and the papers to the car have been changed and its put up for sale.
How do you know its not a stolen car?

One answer for both question - VIN

The VIN tells you the current status of the vehicle.

Secondly, I think govt has banned bringing in vehicles through land boarders. Probably one of the reasons is to forestall gaps like these

Thirdly, at the point of registration, the database of FRSC/Licensing office will throw up any irregularities. They will tell you if the car is stolen. The only snag is that if you have not discovered at this point, then you will be arrested

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? / Customs Gives Account Of Vehicles Seized Since President Buhari Came Into Power / Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.