Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section (3095 Views)

Programming Section Moderator Recruitment / Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 Results / Nairaland Programming Competition 2018 - Total stakes 210k!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by QueryUnical: 7:04pm On Oct 17, 2017
There is this general belief that programming section of nairaland is operating far below expectation and not very impactful. I belief there is truth in that statment. But rather than be a mere fault finder who never proffers solution, I have decided to proffer practiical solution.

The Reason for Nairaland's success

Nairaland became popular and successful because it found an important untapped niche. It provided a platform for citizens of the most populated black nation int the world with a forum for carrying discussion than are germane to Nigeria in a typicial Nigerian way.It gave people a platform for relating in the unique Nigerian way.

The programming section of Nairaland will succeed if it can become a Nigerianized version of , say, stackoverflow or codeproject.

The Perceived Reason for Seun's refusal to make required alteration to nairaland

1. It will cost him money
2. The structure of nairaland make certain alteration senseless.
3. Seun does not realize he will end up with much more money than he will invest in altering it because he already has a large traffic and viewership.

A nich untapped
There still exist a programming niche that remains untapped that seun in good position to tap from. There exist a desire in many Nigerian programmers to find a programming forum where programmer can interract in the typical Nigerian way.

Practical Alteration that I am suggestion
1. Nairaland programming section should consist of only programming boards. Board like programmer market, software market etc should be removed.

2. Nairaland should consit of boards like C#, C++, Java, Python, PHP, e.t.c or such similar boards.
3. There could be sub-boards such are questions and answer, articles, quizes and competetions etc
4. Removed boards such as programmer markets, software markets should exist as free adverts.
5. Buttons or links like, "Post A (Programming) Free Job Ad, "Post A free Product Ad" should exist some where on each thread.
6. Two classes of ads should exist on each thread: paid and unpaid Ad
7. While the paid Ad will lead to a website or so, the unpaid ad should lead to threads that can only be access from their ad links

Expected Result of Making the suggested Changes

1. Nairaland will become very rich in programming content since topics posted will mostly be well focused topics.
2. Trolling will be eliminated
3. Nairaland will become more interesting
4. Rate of departure of Geeks will be drastically reduces if not eliminated
5. Newbies will have available to them, a large array of Gurus to assist them
6. Traffic in the programming section will grow astronomically making up for advert space lost to the free ads
7.Seun will make incredibly much more money than he is making now from nairaland
8. Nigerian who are looking for a Nigerian programming forum to express themselves will find a safe haven in Nairaland

What Seun should do
1. Be innovative, all he need do is to alter the form for posting topics on nairaland so as to place tags and such like that will preformat code. That is, use the same form, but add new buttons or features.
2. If he cannot do it himself, he should hire someone to do it or make it the subject or object of a programming competition so as to get the best (the legions of programmes on nairaland will readily amaze him).

Thats all for now, I will update if other practical suggestions occur to me. If you have any practical suggestion, please feel free to add them below in your post.

5 Likes

Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Donald3d(m): 7:17pm On Oct 17, 2017
I think its fine the way it is,some adjustment can be done to moderation though

1 Like

Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by QueryUnical: 7:25pm On Oct 17, 2017
Donald3d:
I think its fine the way it is,some adjustment can be done to moderation though

Yes you are right, it is fine the way it is, but the volume of low value content on this site is staggering.

People who sell products on nairaland will love this arrangement because it suits them well. Same go for those who come here to look for programmers.

But if you are interested in rich quality content, discussions on educative and enlightening topics, then you will realize these arrangement is bad. It make the programming section a dust bin where anyone can dump anything.

What the site need is boards that are narrowed down to exclude rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by gbzed(m): 10:09pm On Oct 17, 2017
Please I apologize for derailing the thread.

Is it in d uni u guys learnt programming or somewhere else, cos I just got admission 4 comp sci in lasu and someone was telling me that all they teach in uni is math, less practical
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 17, 2017
dhtml118:
Nice advices, I will just add this to the new updates coming up on Nairaland. We still have very sensible people here.
grin grin grin
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by teshiam(m): 11:13pm On Oct 17, 2017
gbzed:
Please I apologize for derailing the thread.

Is it in d uni u guys learnt programming or somewhere else, cos I just got admission 4 comp sci in lasu and someone was telling me that all they teach in uni is math, less practical

Most people in Nigeria are self taught. There are a lot of e-books and programming communities to aid your development ( Quora, Stackoverflow, Codetutplus e.t.c ). They have a rich base of already asked questions to help beginners. Aptech is another way to go but you need serious money to foot the bill. But please don't dare wait for university in Nigeria to teach you.

As for nairaland programming section, it needs a serious revamp. Any time i visit this section, its a slap on the face. Outdated, unhelpful, scam prone threads. Please i like programming and nairaland (front page of the Nigerian internet), and i would really love to participate in what i love on nairaland. I can't remember the last time i saw a programming thread reach front page. You can even appoint me as a moderator, i would do the job efficiently.
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by asalimpo(m): 1:33am On Oct 18, 2017
As far as nairaland is a monopolistic operator there is no incentive for it to change.
Competition genders creativity.
e.g There was once almighty NITEL (if you were old enough then), did they improve?
Telecoms got privatized and voila, NITEL was now in a sea of sharks. IT died disgracefully since it couldnt compete. Gone were the days of subsidization of inefficiency and gross irresponsibility and corruption.

Seun, will not do anything to improve this section.. Say all u want to say. Write reams. Nothing will happen.
He's all after traffic and numbers to grease his pocket. If this section is heavily curated, nonsense posts will
reduce. touts and trolls will reduce, views will reduce, revenue will reduce. Seun doesnt want that.
So, this section will continue to b a pit latrine of crappy posts. Who cares as far as money keep rolling in?

On a side note, I read somewhere that drugs companies are not interested in funding research that could produce cures for cancer because,Cancer medication is a huge market for them. Producing a cure will kill their
cash cow!! Same for AIDS!! The government can't force them, their legally blameless, but morally ... ?
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by simiolu1(m): 6:51am On Oct 18, 2017
asalimpo:
As far as nairaland is a monopolistic operator there is no incentive for it to change.
Competition genders creativity.
e.g There was once almighty NITEL (if you were old enough then), did they improve?
Telecoms got privatized and voila, NITEL was now in a sea of sharks. IT died disgracefully since it couldnt compete. Gone were the days of subsidization of inefficiency and gross irresponsibility and corruption.

Seun, will not do anything to improve this section.. Say all u want to say. Write reams. Nothing will happen.
He's all after traffic and numbers to grease his pocket. If this section is heavily curated, nonsense posts will
reduce. touts and trolls will reduce, views will reduce, revenue will reduce. Seun doesnt want that.
So, this section will continue to b a pit latrine of crappy posts. Who cares as far as money keep rolling in?

On a side note, I read somewhere that drugs companies are not interested in funding research that could produce cures for cancer because,Cancer medication is a huge market for them. Producing a cure will kill their
cash cow!! Same for AIDS!! The government can't force them, their legally blameless, but morally ... ?

In as much as I like the Ops observations, the sad reality is that Nairaland would never change. The OP is not the first person to suggest changes to Seun. I even came across a topic on radar that talked about some changes Seun ought to make. Funny enough, Seun commented on that thread and promised to make the changes. Over one year later, he still has not made those changes.

One of those changes was that ad links should open in a new tab instead of taking the user away from Nairaland on the same tab. Adding a simple "target = "_blank"" to the codebase would fix this. Yet Seun has not done it.

If a simple change like that has not been made, how would a whole Programming section have new features like code formatting etc. The sad truth is that Nairaland would be like this for a verrrrrrrrrrry loooooooooong time
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by gbzed(m): 7:20am On Oct 18, 2017
teshiam:

Most people in Nigeria are self taught. There are a lot of e-books and programming communities to aid your development ( Quora, Stackoverflow, Codetutplus e.t.c ). They have a rich base of already asked questions to help beginners. Aptech is another way to go but you need serious money to foot the bill. But please don't dare wait for university in Nigeria to teach you.

As for nairaland programming section, it needs a serious revamp. Any time i visit this section, its a slap on the face. Outdated, unhelpful, scam prone threads. Please i like programming and nairaland (front page of the Nigerian internet), and i would really love to participate in what i love on nairaland. I can't remember the last time i saw a programming thread reach front page. You can even appoint me as a moderator, i would do the job efficiently.

Thank you very much but do u thin I can learn from scratch on these websites? And what are the tools I'll need (laptop,software)
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 18, 2017
gbzed:

Thank you very much but do u thin I can learn from scratch on these websites? And what are the tools I'll need (laptop,software)

Start learning now
Year 1, you will not really learn much but year 2 is when you start.
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by gbzed(m): 6:47pm On Oct 18, 2017
fidalgo19:

Start learning now

Thanks
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 18, 2017
fidalgo19:

Start learning now

I think one year is more than enough to learn programming. The more the number of years y++; n(Y) = y; the more the experience n(E) = n(Y) and agility n(A). Therefore it's safe to say: n(E) + n(A) = Good programmer

If your brain functions in such a way similar to: O(log n), then you'd probably learn at a fast pace else if it's O(n · n!) then 4 years is an understatement.
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 19, 2017
My own problem is that why do i have to login everytime i close nairaland and open it again even after saving password ehnnn seun!?
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by YaTar(f): 4:42pm On Oct 19, 2017
TREAT AS URGENT: TRAINERS NEEDED

Life Learners Training Center is a Training, Research and Development Company having to deliver in several business subsidiaries. Located in Wuse 2 Abuja, Nigeria.
Duly Certified Trainers are needed in Programming Languages: C++, C#, JAVA, Python, RUBY, Core PHP, .NET enironvironment
Requirements:

•Must be Abuja resident and Duly Certified.
NOTE:
Qualified Trainers should apply by e-mailing their CV , mentioning the position Title in the subject, to: oluwaloseayo@gmail.com. Its an Huge Opportunity…..

OR

Visit our office, Suite 009/011, The Kings Place, Opp. NAF Conf & Suites, Banex-Kado Road, Wuse, Abuja.

Treat as Urgent please
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 19, 2017
I grab, thanks for your recommendations dude.
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by teshiam(m): 2:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
gbzed:

It depends-->
for Java you would need an IDE like Eclipse.
Then you are advised to practice daily atleast 2 hours.
I recommend Java the complete reference with video tutorials. Use vogella online resources and many others. Just research on the language you want to learn.
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by olamil43: 7:11am On Oct 30, 2017
poor boy.. you just wasted your time in talking to someone who will never listen

get the best prices from different stores on [url]quickfinda.com[/url]
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 30, 2017
See big organizations like Facebook, when smallboys like me advice them, they heed. The bugs I have found and reported on Facebook were all dealt with.

Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 30, 2017
dhtml118:
See big organizations like Facebook, when smallboys like me advice them, they heed. The bugs I have found and reported on Facebook were all dealt with.

Trust me, the chances that your feedback will even be actually read is very minimal. The response you got was just an auto-generated one to make you feel they have actually seen your feedback and will work on it.

The Palestinian guy that found a very serious bug on Facebook in 2013 that could have cost Facebook millions of dollars in revenue was turned down multiple times until he actually hacked Zuckerberg himself by posting on his wall.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2399369/Facebook-hacker-posted-Mark-Zuckerbergs-wall-gets-12k-reward-online-donors.html

Although Facebook's actions can be justified due to the fact that they receive thousands of fake bug reports, Nairaland on the other hand has done it's best to remain the same forever even when most users lodge similar complaints.
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 30, 2017
Whether they read it or not does not really matter, the most important thing was that about 3 days after, the bug was no more. Whether me, or other people gave the feedback is not important, but it was solved - kajiko.

Aside that, I do have evidence that Facebook reads what I post, and i have feedbacks in my support inbox to prove this, but there is no need to post them sha.
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 30, 2017
Well then, that's a good thing.

dhtml118:
Whether they read it or not does not really matter, the most important thing was that about 3 days after, the bug was no more. Whether me, or other people gave the feedback is not important, but it was solved - kajiko.

Aside that, I do have evidence that Facebook reads what I post, and i have feedbacks in my support inbox to prove this, but there is no need to post them sha.
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 30, 2017
But naturally, I dont expect them to read all the posts, that one na another matter.
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by davour(m): 6:49pm On Oct 30, 2017
lala never finish snake post and u are talking about programming.. when last did u c a topic on programming hit front page... I guess they don't know that this section exits ... if na to talk about cossy bumbum enlargement and Toto dikeh marriage dem go carry am go front page sharp sharp
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 30, 2017
^^^o yeah, that is the fact!
Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by babajeje123(m): 5:54am On Oct 31, 2017
in as much as I don't support Seun's non-challant attitude towards this section, I think those who are advising him should build their own platforms using all the loopholes they've found here. They can even form a partnership if it would be difficult on individual basis. Oga dhtml, how far above africoder or what's the name?

1 Like

Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 01, 2017
Even Reddit is facing the same thing...

https://www.reddit.com/r/web_design/comments/4q9nu3/why_is_reddit_so_ugly/

The thing is, some people just don't care about looks or aesthetics... functionality is all that matters to them.

1 Like

Re: My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section by nijabazaar: 4:54pm On Nov 02, 2017
dhtml118:
^^^that is the name, it is being worked on, and upgrades and stuffs are going on too. I am done with giving anyone advices, i am implementing the advices on my own platform, more upgrades are being worked on even as we speak.

and yes it is a-f-r-i-c-o-d-e-r-s.c-o-m (without the dashes), if you write it without dashes your post will be moderated and change to nairaland (that is how much seun hates me, so no one should complain when i land my final blow on him - and a mighty blow it shall be).

U keep saying this...I will land a galaxy-shattering blow to Seun and all the associated blah blah blah..

Do it for once or forever shut it.

U are not the only one who hates Seun and his Mods.

And you are not the best Programmer that ever liveth....

Damm annoying

1 Like

(1) (2)

Help I"m Loosing Intrest Fast In Learning Programming. / The Secrets Of Programming That Only 5% Of Programmer's Know / Sell Your Amazon And Itunes Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.