Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Flying For The First Time - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Flying For The First Time (1978 Views)

Flying For The First Time, Please Help / South African Pilot Resigns After Flying For More Than 20 Years With A Fake Lice / Plane Makes U-turn After Flying For About 8 Hours For Carrying Wrong Passenger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flying For The First Time by mamziii(f): 12:50pm On Oct 19, 2017
Hello people, please I need your advice on this. I will be flying to Lagos for the first time and I need some advice on what and what not to do, what to carry in my hand luggage etc. My ticket was booked online, how do I go about this whole thing, I'm very nervous plus I've never entered antairport before.
Re: Flying For The First Time by VIEMMYTRAVELS: 2:44pm On Oct 19, 2017
Lol, you don't have to be nervous. There's always a first time. Just avoid carrying anything that's implicating that's all.
Re: Flying For The First Time by ifegy: 3:31am On Oct 20, 2017
mamziii:
Hello people, please I need your advice on this. I will be flying to Lagos for the first time and I need some advice on what and what not to do, what to carry in my hand luggage etc. My ticket was booked online, how do I go about this whole thing, I'm very nervous plus I've never entered antairport before.

*This is generally applicable information; you may need to modify it for your circumstances. For instance, if it's a really small, local airport dealing with just a few flights a day, things may not be as strict or structured as in a bigger, busier airport.

-Go to the airline website and check in for your flight online ahead of time, today or early tomorrow, if you can-- will save you time at the airport and possibly save you from not getting on board, if the flight is overbooked

-Print out your boarding pass so you know your flight number, departure time, boarding gate, boarding time (note: different from/earlier than departure time!)

-Head to the airport early. Give yourself time to get there about a couple of hours before the flight, at least. You never know what might happen with traffic, or when you get there, especially since you haven't done this before

-Don't forget your passport/travel ID (since it's a local flight you might not need a passport)

-Head to the check in counter for your airline, at the airport; get a luggage tag for any luggage you're checking in (i.e., anything that's not hand luggage) and drop off the checked luggage there. Try not to over-pack your checked or hand luggage, or you might have issues with overweight luggage.

-Go through security. There should be signs directing you to where this is. Or just ask. You may have to take off shoes, coats, etc; so bear that in mind when dressing- wear stuff that's easy-on-easy-off

-No liquids or gels in your hand luggage unless they're really small (for international flights, at least; not sure if that applies to domestic)

-Keep a eye on your stuff as it passes through security (if it has to go through an x-ray machine, for instance); you want to make sure everything that goes in, comes out

-No metals in your pocket (keys, jewellery) in case you have to pass through a body scanner while passing through security. Metal will beep, and you may have to undergo another scan

-Find your gate. There is normally a counter around tehre. Sit close to that counter so you can see and hear clearly when boarding is announced-- the speaker system may not be optimal.

-If you think you'll be hungry, you can take stuff like snack bars, chocolate bars, granola bars (not sure if that's available there)-- basically, stuff like that is not likely to be confiscated. There may or may not be places to get food once you get past security (eg if the airport is really small). You'll have to get water once you get past security, though.

-Get on board (hopefully flight is not delayed). Put your hand luggage in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Fasten your seat belt. Listen to the safety instructions. Enjoy the flight!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flying For The First Time by mamziii(f): 5:46am On Oct 20, 2017
ifegy:

*This is generally applicable information; you may need to modify it for your circumstances. For instance, if it's a really small, local airport dealing with just a few flights a day, things may not be as strict or structured as in a bigger, busier airport.

-Go to the airline website and check in for your flight online ahead of time, today or early tomorrow, if you can-- will save you time at the airport and possibly save you from not getting on board, if the flight is overbooked

-Print out your boarding pass so you know your flight number, departure time, boarding gate, boarding time (note: different from/earlier than departure time!)

-Head to the airport early. Give yourself time to get there about a couple of hours before the flight, at least. You never know what might happen with traffic, or when you get there, especially since you haven't done this before

-Don't forget your passport/travel ID (since it's a local flight you might not need a passport)

-Head to the check in counter for your airline, at the airport; get a luggage tag for any luggage you're checking in (i.e., anything that's not hand luggage) and drop off the checked luggage there. Try not to over-pack your checked or hand luggage, or you might have issues with overweight luggage.

-Go through security. There should be signs directing you to where this is. Or just ask. You may have to take off shoes, coats, etc; so bear that in mind when dressing- wear stuff that's easy-on-easy-off

-No liquids or gels in your hand luggage unless they're really small (for international flights, at least; not sure if that applies to domestic)

-Keep a eye on your stuff as it passes through security (if it has to go through an x-ray machine, for instance); you want to make sure everything that goes in, comes out

-No metals in your pocket (keys, jewellery) in case you have to pass through a body scanner while passing through security. Metal will beep, and you may have to undergo another scan

-Find your gate. There is normally a counter around tehre. Sit close to that counter so you can see and hear clearly when boarding is announced-- the speaker system may not be optimal.

-If you think you'll be hungry, you can take stuff like snack bars, chocolate bars, granola bars (not sure if that's available there)-- basically, stuff like that is not likely to be confiscated. There may or may not be places to get food once you get past security (eg if the airport is really small). You'll have to get water once you get past security, though.

-Get on board (hopefully flight is not delayed). Put your hand luggage in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Fasten your seat belt. Listen to the safety instructions. Enjoy the flight!
thanks a lot this was really helpful. Please can someone have 2 hand luggages? Let's say a hand bag and a small bag containing ones clothing for a 3 day trip
Re: Flying For The First Time by Nobody: 6:43am On Oct 20, 2017
mamziii:
thanks a lot this was really helpful. Please can someone have 2 hand luggages? Let's say a hand bag and a small bag containing ones clothing for a 3 day trip
Yes. You can have a small hand bag as usual of ladies, and a luggage that you can check in depending on the weight and size, or you keep in the bin above your seat. Safe flight.
Re: Flying For The First Time by mamziii(f): 9:07am On Oct 20, 2017
koleefem05:
Yes. You can have a small hand bag as usual of ladies, and a luggage that you can check in depending on the weight and size, or you keep in the bin above your seat. Safe flight.
thanks a lot
Re: Flying For The First Time by mamziii(f): 10:07am On Oct 20, 2017
One more question please, can things like body creams, perfumes etc be in my Hand luggage? Abeg no mind me oh...... I b jjc

(1) (Reply)

My Train Story ( Kaduna To Abuja) With Pictures / Comrades , How do i verify this POE Letter / Munich Airport Redesigns Hanger's Door To Take World's Largest Passengers Plane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.