Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do (6252 Views)

I Almost Got Scammed On Jumia / I Was Duped By Someone Name Martha Annu Dara Who Posted A Phone On Jiji / Help!!! I Just Got Scammed On Jiji. What Can I Do To Recover My Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Bodeline: 7:18pm On Oct 19, 2017
Good Day Nairalanders. please help me out because I think I am losing my mind here. so I saw a HP 15 laptop on sale at the tune of 66k (attached is the link
https://wuse-ii./computers-and-laptops/hp-15-core-i5-laptop-750gb-hdd-6gb-ram-9535313.html?cur_pos=11&pos=11&page=3&ads_count=1417&ads_per_page=24 ). I hit up the cell of the agent who he said is Austin Mommodu. He told me he is in Lokoja while I base in Kwara State.

According to him, His company Netfame Marketing Concept were running a clearance sale to clear their goods from their warehouse, which made them slash the price by 5O% (resulting to the price of 66k). I googled the company online and I saw their presence on vconnect and Jumia so I thought they were genuine.

He told me I could deposit the sum to his bank account with the following details and it would be delivered as he has an agent coming to Ilorin.

Bank Name: Diamond Bank
Account Name: Netfame Marketing Concept
Account Number: 7783113629

He told me that there's option for part payment and full payment, where full payment would attract 1O% discount. I didn't buy the idea of full payment so I went with half payment. Reason Being that he told me that I can balance the agent later.

After payment was made, he said his dispatch agent left lokoja around past 11 and should be in Ilorin by 6:3O. I decided to wait while going about my daily business.

it was close to 6pm and I didnt hear anything from the agent nor mommodu. I called the agent several times but he didn't pick my calls. Mommodu delayed in picking but he told me he would get back to me. since then, he didn't pick my call no more. it was not until when I used my brother's phone to call him that I knew it was a sham. His number is 08166563929.

This made me realize... I had been had! Jiji claims nothing can be done in event of such ordeals. What if jiji connive with these scammers to reap us all off. This is just terrible. My only consolation is that I didn't pay full price and God will replace what was lost.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Inehmesit: 7:20pm On Oct 19, 2017
It's 2017 Bro, do people still get scammed?

21 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Bodeline: 7:21pm On Oct 19, 2017
this is the picture he uploaded to show he is a family man. this life sef...

6 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by gidimasters(m): 7:21pm On Oct 19, 2017
Sorry for your loss. It's clearly stated on their site..

Please read safety tips
1.NEVER PAY BEFORE PURCHASE
2.Try to meet at a safe, public location
3. Check the item BEFORE you buy it
4. Pay only after collecting the item

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by gidimasters(m): 7:25pm On Oct 19, 2017
Inehmesit:
It's 2017 Bro, do people still get scammed?

Lol... Depends on what you do... If you're into online business, you are prone to scam

4 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Bodeline: 7:31pm On Oct 19, 2017
gidimasters:

Lol... Depends on what you do... If you're into online business, you are prone to scam

Online transactions, asides from bank own is a no no for me. At least banks can be held to ransom if they try rubbish

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by sorextee(m): 7:49pm On Oct 19, 2017
Chai, na wa o. Smh. Wetin go make u pay before service? U wan talk say u never read bout how pple dey get scammed via olx ND jiji?

Why u go pay money, wen d item never land at ur doorstep?

Why u no suggest to am say make una meet for a neutral place, before u do d transaction?

So u wan talk say for this 2017, ur eyes never open finish?

I hope you've learnt anyway.. Lets still hope u get ur money back.

5 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 19, 2017
Quit talking like a kid, why would Jiji connive with scammers to reap people off?

34 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Ksslib(m): 8:59pm On Oct 19, 2017
I keep telling people that the most hardest thing to do in this life is to "OBEY SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS"

"Do not pay before you receive any goods" - It is clearly written on jiji.

Why do people like to unnecessarily complicate issues for themselves?I just don't understand.

Life is simple. But no! people like Op love it the hard way.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by ryfoz(m): 9:50pm On Oct 19, 2017
embarassed
Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by ryfoz(m): 9:51pm On Oct 19, 2017
Bodeline:
Good Day Nairalanders. please help me out because I think I am losing my mind here. so I saw a HP 15 laptop on sale at the tune of 66k (attached is the link
https://wuse-ii./computers-and-laptops/hp-15-core-i5-laptop-750gb-hdd-6gb-ram-9535313.html?cur_pos=11&pos=11&page=3&ads_count=1417&ads_per_page=24 ). I hit up the cell of the agent who he said is Austin Mommodu. He told me he is in Lokoja while I base in Kwara State.

According to him, His company Netfame Marketing Concept were running a clearance sale to clear their goods from their warehouse, which made them slash the price by 5O% (resulting to the price of 66k). I googled the company online and I saw their presence on vconnect and Jumia so I thought they were genuine.

He told me I could deposit the sum to his bank account with the following details and it would be delivered as he has an agent coming to Ilorin.

He told me that there's option for part payment and full payment, where full payment would attract 1O% discount. I didn't buy the idea of full payment so I went with half payment. Reason Being that he told me that I can balance the agent later.

After payment was made, he said his dispatch agent left lokoja around past 11 and should be in Ilorin by 6:3O. I decided to wait while going about my daily business.

it was close to 6pm and I didnt hear anything from the agent nor mommodu. I called the agent several times but he didn't pick my calls. Mommodu delayed in picking but he told me he would get back to me. since then, he didn't pick my call no more. it was not until when I used my brother's phone to call him that I knew it was a sham. His number is 08166563929.

This made me realize... I had been had! Jiji claims nothing can be done in event of such ordeals. What if jiji connive with these scammers to reap us all off. This is just terrible. My only consolation is that I didn't pay full price and God will replace what was lost.

My brother I sympathize with you (I know that won't bring back the cash though). I was a victim of one those guys too (mhen their lies are authentic, smooth-talking "decepticons" )

Anyway here are the facts: Jiji is only an advert site, so they (or it) has nothing to do with the scam

* it has been stated clearly that no buyer should pay in advance

* the cash is non-refundable, so forget it (leave that part to God) and MOVE ON

Advice: Never ever pay anyone for online transactions b4 delivery (too risky), and let me add that you should try to avoid deals that looks too good to be true e.g "Neat Samsung S8 for sale @ 80k, avoid any talks about part-payment too and lastly do background check on the person's profile - check his related post and see how long he or she is registered (if he claims he is affiliated with big companies but it says he's only registered for 2 or 3 days, my brother caveat emptor!

The rest is just to have patience when doing sweet deals. Sometimes you win sometimes you learn - John Maxwell

Thanks.

12 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 19, 2017
grin that's how one man on Olx, that lives in portharcourt said I should send him money then he would send an xbox 360 E worth 10k to me? I outplayed him tire, till he sent me a msg on whatsapp saying I shouldn't text him again

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by EvilMetahuman: 10:06pm On Oct 19, 2017
Bodeline:
Submit his account number to efcc, they should be able to trace him with it.

And the picture could be fake

Next time you want to buy anything online apart from jumia, make sure you do it face to face.

Cash and carry.

5 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by NnamdiN: 10:16pm On Oct 19, 2017
The whole blame is on you. Jiji advises you don't pay in advance and it's quite visible on their site. How the hell did you even fall that, the moment you were told you'd get additional discount if you paid in the full amount, you'd have bailed.

I sell on Jiji too, you can tell when a person is honest grin

7 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Newboss(m): 11:10pm On Oct 19, 2017
gidimasters:
Sorry for your loss. It's clearly stated on their site..

Please read safety tips
1.NEVER PAY BEFORE PURCHASE
2.Try to meet at a safe, public location
3. Check the item BEFORE you buy it
4. Pay only after collecting the item
People like him always blame others for their errors! angry

Jiji is an open market with no regulation whatsoever. But these people using their account numbers to scam are really stupid o. If they get tracked down now, they will think it's their village people. cheesy cheesy cheesy

13 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 19, 2017
Bodeline:
Are you sure that's his picture?

1 Like

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by benswagtt(m): 11:50pm On Oct 19, 2017
hardluck!
Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by walemoney007(m): 12:32am On Oct 20, 2017
armylord:
grin that's how one man on Olx, that lives in portharcourt said I should send him money then he would send an xbox 360 E worth 10k to me? I outplayed him tire, till he sent me a msg on whatsapp saying I shouldn't text him again
grin

1 Like

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by kenkool(m): 1:40am On Oct 20, 2017
Bodeline:

Sorry for your loss, what I have noticed from a scam victim is GREED, yes, no way in hell would you get an HP laptop of core i5, 5gb ram and 750hdd at that rate, even used one cannot go as low as #120k, you knew that but you thought it's an 'awuf'. I buy a lot of stuffs online, from Craigslist to eBay, and in many cases you will experience something like this especially on Craigslist, but one thing always keep me safe which is ; IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, THEN BE VERY SUSPICIOUS, in about 90% of such 'Good deal' they are scam.
And lastly, never pay in advance by PayPal or bank transfer until you receive your stuff unless it's eBay or Amazon.
Good luck next time!

4 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Ugoeze2016: 3:07am On Oct 20, 2017
Bodeline:

Sorry for your loss.
Zokija, olx, etc warn against money transfer

Safety Tips on Zokija

In order to stay safe we encourage that all transactions take place locally and in person.

Never give out your banking information online

Meet during the day in public places and inform a family member or friend where you are going

Have someone accompany you and always have a working phone with you when meeting

Trust your instincts. If something sound too good to be true, probably it is.

Taking common sense precautions helps make zokija safer for everyone. In case of any attempted fraud or suspicious activities report to police andcontact us
Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by femi4: 4:05am On Oct 20, 2017
Bodeline:
And you think that's his real pix. Some Nigerians sha can be gullible.

You broke the ultimate rule:
Never pay before seeing item of purchase
Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by DavidEsq(m): 5:22am On Oct 20, 2017
femi4:
And you think that's his real pix. Some Nigerians sha can be gullible.

You broke the ultimate rule:
Never pay before seeing item of purchase
Wats dis about Google command in tracing pictures an getting th real person behind d pix? I saw stuff like dat on NL d oda day.
Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by calddon(m): 5:43am On Oct 20, 2017
That might not be the dudes genuine pics.
Why do we still pay b4 seeing the goods. Apart from scamming, what if the product is defective...how do we resolve that?

1 Like

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by 9japrof(m): 5:46am On Oct 20, 2017
Greed is a factor when one is scamed online, you saw a cheap price and your brain rebooted to factory settings.

In my honest accessment, take down those pictures, this might unlikely be your scammer, he can't be this foolish to bring his family picture online when he knows he's into scamming, this might be a picture of a random innocent couple who's picture was culled online...

3 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Mailthaddeus(m): 6:15am On Oct 20, 2017
It's not all lost, go to your bank which u sent the money from, report the incident and ask them to block the account that it is being used to scam people. Tell them to block all bvn linked to that account. They will be d one calling u

2 Likes

Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by brodalikeme(m): 6:22am On Oct 20, 2017
Itsnrather unfortunate. Jiji will tell you not to make payments for anything until you inspect the ma goods. Other tricks scammers use is to add some sweeteners to the deal. When something's becomes too good, check again.
If you want to get him arrested, there is a way around it though. Quit calling him with you line and uses some elses number to lure him out with some sweet deals. It works like magic even for the most harden criminals. Greed drives them all
Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by zinizta: 6:29am On Oct 20, 2017
The Account Number Is Your Only Chance Of Nabbing Them.
Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Marvel1206: 6:31am On Oct 20, 2017
Bodeline:
Go to image.google.com with your chrome and conduct an image search. Even though he might not be the person in the picture, you may still be able to get the source
Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Partnerbiz3: 6:36am On Oct 20, 2017
Bodeline:

Online transactions, asides from bank own is a no no for me. At least banks can be held to ransom if they try rubbish
My gee, greed and inexperience led you to this.
First off, that pic isn't his and you goofed by believing it was he.

Secondly, a search I made at CAC shows the business name was registered in 2013 with registerd address in Owerri.

So, he opened an account with Diamond bank with that name.

The money isn't " too big' otherwise I would have advised you to look for means to track him.

You might just want to threaten him especially with the realisation of his biz address and other things. I doubt If he will be perturbed though.
Scammers like him hardly do.

Tak kia.
Re: I Think I Have Been Scammed On Jiji. What Do I Do by Mskrisx(f): 7:01am On Oct 20, 2017
Pls pls what do I do? I want to buy a device from Jumia but the only problem here is they said there is no pay on delivery for that product. Now to purchase the item I have to pay on line with my master card which means I have to insert my card number and my pin....pls who has tried this before? I am sooooo scared!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

********* / SHOCKER! Mike Adenuga’s Glo In Serious Debt Mess! Alcatel Drops Glo Over Unpaid / Make Your Own Java Game With Your Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.