Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (67264 Views)

Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Incessant Attacks: Banks To Be Shut From Monday / New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by Islie: 6:52am On Oct 20, 2017
By Hamisu Muhammad (Abuja) & Kayode Ekundayo (Lagos)

Banks will soon crack down on customer’s accounts following new directives from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) yesterday, on Bank Verification Number (BVN) operations and watch-list for the banking industry.

Records from the NIBSS show that there were about 45.85 million total bank accounts unlinked, but when compared with the active accounts the number dropped to 15.72 million unlinked to BVN as of February 2017.

The record further shows that as of October 8th, 2017, the total BVN issued were 30,511,506.

In a memo to the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS), Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) and Other Financial Institutions (OFIs) obtained by Daily Trust  signed by Mr. Dipo Fatokun, Director Banking and Payment System, the apex bank warned banks and OFIs to ensure proper capturing of the BVN data and validate same before linkage with customers’ accounts; ensure all operated accounts are linked with the signatories’ BVN; and ensure customer’s names on the BVN database are the same in all of his/her accounts, across the banking industry.

Some intelligence reports observe recently that some banks have relaxed the BVN linkage of some customers, a situation that will allow fraudulent transactions in the banking system, a source in the banking industry told Daily Trust.

With the new circular, the apex regulator orders banks to report confirmed fraudulent individuals’ BVNs to NIBSS for update of the watch-list database; report the BVN of deceased customers to NIBSS for update on the BVN database; render returns to NIBSS for enlisting individuals involved in confirmed fraudulent activities, with the report signed by the chief audit executives.

The new regulation also states that CBN (Banking Supervision Department) shall be granted real-time online access to the watch-list database while the chief audit executive of the customer’s bank shall be notified, where a bank needs to watch-list a customer of another bank. 

The chief audit executive of the customer’s bank, upon notification, shall investigate within one month and after confirmation of the fraudulent activity, watch-list the customer within two business days.

CBN also mandates NIBSS to ensure BVN data are stored within the shores of Nigeria and shall not be routed across borders without the consent of the CBN while users of the BVN information shall establish adequate security procedures to ensure the safety and security of its information and those of its clients, which shall include physical, logical, network and enterprise security.

Appropriate penalties shall apply to any bank that fails to enlist individuals confirmed to be involved in fraudulent activity, it said.

“Any other stakeholder who fails to perform its stipulated responsibilities shall be penalized by the CBN. A watch-listed individual shall not be allowed to enter into new relationship with any bank. A bank may choose not to continue business relationship with account holder on the watch-list. 

“Where a bank chooses to continue an existing business relationship with holders of account on the watch-list, the account holder shall be prohibited from all e-channels, such as ATM, POS, Internet Banking, Mobile Banking, including issuance of third-party cheques. 

“A watch-listed customer shall not provide reference to another customer, neither shall he/she be allowed access to credit facility or guarantee credit facilities,” the new circular directed.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/more-bank-accounts-to-be-shut-as-cbn-issues-strict-bvn-rules.html

lalasticlala
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by saintgoogle(m): 6:52am On Oct 20, 2017
wink
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by MhizzAJ(f): 7:09am On Oct 20, 2017
Is that the reason why first bank has been frustrating people undecided

12 Likes

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by Fxmanager(m): 7:26am On Oct 20, 2017
Okay. Whether they shut down or not, how much interest on deposits do they pay? Get an average of 5-10%+ monthly return on your savings/investment with low risk to your capital, with us.

This is the best structured, secured and transparent savings/investment you will ever find in this forum. No lock up period on your savings/investments and you can withdraw or close your account anytime. Your withdrawals from our partner broker to your bank Mastercard/Visa debit card takes 2 to 4 days maximum. If you are using ecurrency payment system, it takes 5 mins to the ecurrency payment systems then you can then make instant withdrawals to your Nigerian Bank account using Nigerian trusted e-currency exchanges. You can also use Bank wire transfer. You might be interested in what we offer. We promise a target of average 5-10%+ monthly profit on your savings/investment. Funds in a secured licensed,audited and regulated financial firm. You can monitor your savings/investment anywhere you are in the world 24/7 using any internet enable device. You are free to test us with any amount you can comfortably risk before saving/investing fully with us. Statement of account sent to your email daily. working risk to savers/investors capital is 5-10% risk and maximum permissible risk to savers/investors capital is 30%. Visit the link below.

https://www.nairaland.com/3901897/currency-trading-journal-target-avg

Visit the posts below to learn how to avoid scam and fraud. Learn to check and get the regulatory body's website to verify any company's regulatory status.

https://www.nairaland.com/3925379/investments-anti-scam-fraud-guide
https://www.nairaland.com/3931027/4-ways-avoid-investment-scams

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by adeniyi3971(m): 7:45am On Oct 20, 2017
CBN!! Not on my birthday...

Happy birthday to me

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by Nbote(m): 7:45am On Oct 20, 2017
It is d banks and some of their staffs dat are in collaboration with those account owners and in most cases operating those accounts sef

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by looseweight: 7:45am On Oct 20, 2017
Ok

1 Like

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by hezy4real01(m): 7:47am On Oct 20, 2017
Welcome idea, start with those politicians OK..... make una no come de worry market women

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by princeade86(m): 7:47am On Oct 20, 2017
but CBN never disturb me for bvn in their bank. am using CBN.

1 Like

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 20, 2017
Good idea.

Attach bank account to BVN Number...so that corruption won't have its way
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by hezy4real01(m): 7:48am On Oct 20, 2017
Welcome idea, start with those politicians OK..... make una no come de worry market women
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by kingsaif(m): 7:49am On Oct 20, 2017
Ok...hope it wont affect my NYSC allawee account sha
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by nony43(m): 7:49am On Oct 20, 2017
B
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by klassykute(m): 7:49am On Oct 20, 2017
Ah i cnt eneb withdraw from my bank cos the said my BVN age is different from my ID card age

1 Like

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by affable4(m): 7:51am On Oct 20, 2017
Are they trying to do another collect-and-sell to cronies?
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by ignis: 7:51am On Oct 20, 2017
Concurred....
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by jordyspices: 7:53am On Oct 20, 2017
na wah oh even with the bvn ppl still dey do fraudlent transaction naija i hail
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 20, 2017
APC members are still looting government money in spite of all this nonsense
Islie:

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/more-bank-accounts-to-be-shut-as-cbn-issues-strict-bvn-rules.html

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by saraphina(f): 7:55am On Oct 20, 2017
adeniyi3971:

Happy birthday to me
happy birthday to you

2 Likes

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by quiverfull(m): 7:55am On Oct 20, 2017
Patience Jonathan will not like this.
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by Boyooosa(m): 8:01am On Oct 20, 2017
Ah
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by emeijeh(m): 8:02am On Oct 20, 2017
MhizzAJ:
Is that the reason why first bank has been frustrating people undecided
You and Firstbank!
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by MhizzAJ(f): 8:04am On Oct 20, 2017
emeijeh:

You and Firstbank!

I hate that bank
It's a very useless bank
Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by mhizclair(f): 8:06am On Oct 20, 2017
adeniyi3971:

Happy birthday to me

Happy birthday dear. Wullnp.

1 Like

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by jibs4lv(m): 8:08am On Oct 20, 2017
adeniyi3971:

Happy birthday to me
happy birthday to you bro

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5888790_walkingspider_gif73da9af91658fdefd0d3aedad8ec8035

2 Likes

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by poseidon12: 8:09am On Oct 20, 2017
I am surprised to know that there are active bank accounts out there without BVN attached to them. Those accounts should have been frozen or closed by now.

1 Like

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by emeijeh(m): 8:13am On Oct 20, 2017
MhizzAJ:

I hate that bank
It's a very useless bank

Hope your account is not frozen?
2 things will make it frozen..... Bvn name mismatch or your date of birth on bvn differs from the one on your account

2 Likes

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by Sleemut09: 8:16am On Oct 20, 2017
Linking BVN to accounts is good but not at its best until its use to track down fraudsters is made effective and easily accessible to banks and its official.

A lot of frauds are still been carried out successfully once the sum involved is counted trivial to the stress of investigation.

Especially, I will respect this agenda if BVN is a compulsory prerequisite before any phone number can be obtained and also attached to all existing communication subscribers. We have alot of illiteracy been fallen victims as banks bring out different initiatives to ease banking in Nigeria. Frauds carried out but should be easily track down

SIGNED: SLEEMUT

1 Like

Re: More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules by ojonugwap(m): 8:41am On Oct 20, 2017
I witnessed when a man gathered ten illiterate for BVN on his own bank account at UBA BANK Nigerian politicians I hail thee

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN's New Rules On ATM Operations In Nigeria / Aliko Dangote And Schoolmates In Primary School In 1965 (Throwback Photo) / Traders At Ladipo Market In Lagos Turn Man's Car To Mobile Shop During Repair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.