Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Reading Didn’t Deprive Me Of Fun In School –aruoriwo, Babcock First Class Gradua - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reading Didn’t Deprive Me Of Fun In School –aruoriwo, Babcock First Class Gradua (682 Views)

How Private School Owners In Nigeria Deprive Their Teachers Of Rest / In Akwa Ibom, Early Marriage, Teenage Pregnancy Deprive Many Girls Of Education / BOWEN Vs BABCOCK: Students Battle On Twitter (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reading Didn’t Deprive Me Of Fun In School –aruoriwo, Babcock First Class Gradua by anthonykezy(m): 2:12pm On Oct 21, 2017
Ocharive Aruoriwo, 20, was one of the four students who made first class in the Department of Economics, Babcock University, in the 2016/2017 academic session. She had 4.63 CGPA. In this interview with TUNDE AJAJA, she talks about the experiences that shaped her days in school and whatworked for her

You have a small stature, were there times people made attempts to take advantage of that?

Yes, in my first year, one of my lecturers asked me to stand up in front of the class and she asked if I followed my elder sister to class. Of course people laughed, more so that we were all new, but it wasn’t an issue. I guess she was surprisedto find out I was a student of the university. I knew such would always come up with my kind of stature.

Do you still recall some of the notable events that characterised your growing up?

I was ten years old in 2007 when I started junior school, with my small stature. Going by what we read in history and what our parents told us, that kind of stature could have denied me the opportunity of education in the early days of Nigeria, because of the minimum size policy for school enrolment. My parents were made to sign an undertaking that I would perform above average academically beforethe school management agreed to offer me the admission. Six years after, I was awarded the best graduating student in arts and humanities at the valedictory service in 2013 at the high school. That meant a lot to me.

What were your dreams as a child?

I first wanted to be a doctor, then a lawyer. I guess that could have been influenced by the things around me. And at that time, I had no idea what economics was. As I grew older, I began to see the course in a different light. And then,I remember that the profile of the then Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, who managed the economy so well,inspired my choice of economics as a course of study at Babcock University. The fact that the economy is an engine powered by economic policies made me want to know what it entailed, and now I’m glad with the choice I made. Interestingly, my father wanted me to study accounting. But we had to strike a deal that for me to study economics, I had to enrol for the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria Examination alongside my undergraduate study. I had a choice not to, if it was not going to be convenient, but I believe that combination of economics and accounting would eventually enablethe realisation of my dream of being a world class economist and financial solution provider.

When did you start having first class?

My first GPA was 4.86 in the first semester of my first year, but at theend of the session I had 4.83 CGPA.Actually, I had always wanted to attain the best in everything I did, so I decided I was going to graduate from Babcock University with a first class, and I worked towards it. As one would imagine, itwas overwhelming, because there were difficult times which felt like I was losing myself. In fact, there were two semesters in particular that threatened my resolve and efforts to finish with a first class, but by the help of God, I was able topush it through. I realised that the first thing is to have a goal; have a target, otherwise you wouldn’t know if you are doing well or not. If you plan to make first class and you keep having 50, nobody would need to remind you that you have tosit up. And of course, beyond setting a target, working hard to meet up with that target or delivering on your set goals is another thing entirely. So, I spoke tomyself and I worked really hard.

Were there things you did that others could have done to have a similar result?

I really would not believe I did something differently, but as much as I was willing to set my priorities right coupled with the grace of God,I knew my target and I went for it. First class is not something you wake up to; you work hard to get there. For someone like me who had to take ICAN exams as well, I had to work twice harder. I had sleepless nights sometimes, havingto make out time for my ICAN examinations; at the same time making sure my undergraduate studies didn’t suffer. And beyond hard work, God’s grace played a huge role. I think it’s the combination of both that makes success possible, not only in academics, but in anything we do. When you have a target and you arecommitted to it, naturally, you give all you can to make it happen. I remember that a lot of times, I had to use my pocket money to buy stuffs for my studies and I don’t regret any because I saw it as my journey to better days. My parents always made me believe that the best investment is investment in one’s self development and I have seen it work.
Re: Reading Didn’t Deprive Me Of Fun In School –aruoriwo, Babcock First Class Gradua by AmKen(m): 2:26pm On Oct 21, 2017
Noted
Re: Reading Didn’t Deprive Me Of Fun In School –aruoriwo, Babcock First Class Gradua by kennyjam: 4:08pm On Oct 21, 2017
Another motivation, GOD bless.... By GOD' s willing, we're getting there and beyond....

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: Pictures Of Unilorin Students Leaving School In A Cement Truck / Getting The Best In My Career Despite All Challenges / What Is The Cut Off Mark For Medicine In Absu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.