Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice (49719 Views)

My Room Transformation Progress With Cost Breakdown(Photos) / 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown / For Sale: Newly Built 20 Rooms Self-contain Hostel, With Borehole For N25M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 7:38pm On Jan 18, 2019
Olassab:
Great work, very detailed, please could you give me an estimate cost for foundation and concreting for a 2 bedroom bungalow, land is pretty much dry
thanks

Evening.... Thanks for the comment.
You would have to share the plan... That also is important.

Regards
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Olassab: 11:08pm On Jan 18, 2019
saydfact:

Evening.... Thanks for the comment.
You would have to share the plan... That also is important.

Regards

Thanks can i post here or whatsapp or email you direct, really appreciate your reply
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 7:45am On Jan 19, 2019
Olassab:

Thanks can i post here or whatsapp or email you direct, really appreciate your reply

here is free consultancy
email is paid consultancy

i'm OK with any.

lol....
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Olassab: 12:16pm On Jan 19, 2019
saydfact:

here is free consultancy
email is paid consultancy

i'm OK with any.

lol....
Thanks here is the plan
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 12:31pm On Jan 19, 2019
Olassab:

Thanks here is the plan

is there any reason why its a 2 bedroom and NOT 3
ALSO, is the site inclined (not rectangular)

why I'm asking - I also advice clients to build a minimum 3 bedroom flat EXCEPT there are other factors that wont allow..

Fund is NOT one of such factors....
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 12:32pm On Jan 19, 2019
Olassab:
Great work, very detailed, please could you give me an estimate cost for foundation and concreting for a 2 bedroom bungalow, land is pretty much dry
thanks

what do you mean by CONCRETING ? I'll work on your estimate over the weekend...... so help me God
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Olassab: 1:15pm On Jan 19, 2019
saydfact:

is there any reason why its a 2 bedroom and NOT 3
ALSO, is the site inclined (not rectangular)

why I'm asking - I also advice clients to build a minimum 3 bedroom flat EXCEPT there are other factors that wont allow..

Fund is NOT one of such factors....

Thanks, that is what the Architect recommended, i pushed for a 3 bed, he said it will not fit. it is basically half a plot, it is flat and there is another half plot behind(my brothers) and a building behind(it is family land) so access is needed to get to the back building so we will use left side, can't do right side (granny's grave is in the way)
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Olassab: 1:18pm On Jan 19, 2019
saydfact:

what do you mean by CONCRETING ? I'll work on your estimate over the weekend...... so help me God

very good question, i think it the german floor bit. everyyhing is static at moment, please where are you based? just realised these things should be taken outside, advise, costs etc. Amen
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 6:19pm On Jan 19, 2019
Olassab:

Thanks, that is what the Architect recommended, i pushed for a 3 bed, he said it will not fit. it is basically half a plot, it is flat and there is another half plot behind(my brothers) and a building behind(it is family land) so access is needed to get to the back building so we will use left side, can't do right side (granny's grave is in the way)

Do a sketch of the land and show anything on it eg building, grave etc and send to my mail (in my signature) - I'll send u my WhatsApp nos
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 6:20pm On Jan 19, 2019
Olassab:

very good question, i think it the german floor bit. everyyhing is static at moment, please where are you based? just realised these things should be taken outside, advise, costs etc. Amen

Lagos and Abeokuta depending on days
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 10:28am On Jan 20, 2019
Olassab:

Morning..
I'm presently looking at your design and working around it.

You can comfortably have a 3 bedroom in that space, with a bigger kitchen and dining also..... The 3rd room would share toilet with visitors..

However, would you be willing to pay a little for the drafting and time to achieve that? I understand you've spent (perhaps a lot to get this design) but 1 extra room would solve a lot of problems in the future.

Whatever you decide.... I'll give you FOR FREE a breakdown of Materials needed for FOUNDATION and GERMAN FLOOR only..... Plus advice on cost of workmanship...... Goodluck.

Regards.......
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Olassab: 2:30pm On Jan 20, 2019
saydfact:

Morning..
I'm presently looking at your design and working around it.

You can comfortably have a 3 bedroom in that space, with a bigger kitchen and dining also..... The 3rd room would share toilet with visitors..

However, would you be willing to pay a little for the drafting and time to achieve that? I understand you've spent (perhaps a lot to get this design) but 1 extra room would solve a lot of problems in the future.

Whatever you decide.... I'll give you FOR FREE a breakdown of Materials needed for FOUNDATION and GERMAN FLOOR only..... Plus advice on cost of workmanship...... Goodluck.

Regards.......
My brother the issue is the plan has already been approved, any advice will be grand, although at the moment this will be okay ' I'll give you FOR FREE a breakdown of Materials needed for FOUNDATION and GERMAN FLOOR only..... Plus advice on cost of workmanship'

in hindsight i wish i had come here first before starting anything, i have never understood why each bedroom needs to have it's own bath and toilet. when i was growning up in Surulere we only had 1 toilet and bathroom and we never fought to use it, you just took your turn!!!
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 3:08pm On Jan 20, 2019
Olassab:

My brother the issue is the plan has already been approved, any advice will be grand, although at the moment this will be okay ' I'll give you FOR FREE a breakdown of Materials needed for FOUNDATION and GERMAN FLOOR only..... Plus advice on cost of workmanship'

in hindsight i wish i had come here first before starting anything, i have never understood why each bedroom needs to have it's own bath and toilet. when i was growning up in Surulere we only had 1 toilet and bathroom and we never fought to use it, you just took your turn!!!

OK..... pls remind me during the week - I'll do it Monday or Tuesday..

Goodluck......
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Olassab: 3:43pm On Jan 20, 2019
saydfact:

OK..... pls remind me during the week - I'll do it Monday or Tuesday..

Goodluck......

Thanks really appreciate your help, please do go to too much trouble on my account, if you have total cost in mind for the foundation that will be fantastic.
If you also have headline figure for total completion of the building great. Please send me your whatsapp
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Olassab: 3:46pm On Jan 20, 2019
Olassab:

Thanks really appreciate your help, please do go to too much trouble on my account, if you have total cost in mind for the foundation that will be fantastic.
If you also have headline figure for total completion of the building great. Please send me your whatsapp
thanks got the whatsapp
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 8:28pm On Jan 20, 2019
Olassab:

Unfortunately your request was foundation and German Floor.... And that I have done.... (see below)

Except where stated, I've used standard parameters for my calculations.

Foundation (Materials)

9 inches Block - 510 pcs
Cement (concrete and block setting) - 31 bags
Granite - 30 tonnes (enough for German Floor)
Sharp sand - 3 tippers (enough for German Floor)

Workmanship for above.

Digging of foundation - 35k max
Bricklayers fees - 55k - 60k
Setting out - 20k (materials and labour)
Filling of foundation - to be estimated on site.

German Floor (thickness used is 100mm or 4 inches)

Materials Needed

Cement - 35 bags
1by12 somi wood - 12 pcs or buy 6 and slice into 2 each
2by4 - minimal for bracing
3 inches nail - 1k worth
Binding wire - 2k worth

Workmanship for above.

Bricklayer - 40k
Carpenter - 5k
Filling of foundation - negotiate on site or 2.5k per tipper

Find the cost of the materials in your area and add up for project cost.

Thanks for contacting me.... (file closed)

Goodluck...
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Olassab: 1:33am On Jan 21, 2019
saydfact:

Unfortunately your request was foundation and German Floor.... And that I have done.... (see below)

Except where stated, I've used standard parameters for my calculations.

Foundation (Materials)

9 inches Block - 510 pcs
Cement (concrete and block setting) - 31 bags
Granite - 30 tonnes (enough for German Floor)
Sharp sand - 3 tippers (enough for German Floor)

Workmanship for above.

Digging of foundation - 35k max
Bricklayers fees - 55k - 60k
Setting out - 20k (materials and labour)
Filling of foundation - to be estimated on site.

German Floor (thickness used is 100mm or 4 inches)

Materials Needed

Cement - 35 bags
1by12 somi wood - 12 pcs or buy 6 and slice into 2 each
2by4 - minimal for bracing
3 inches nail - 1k worth
Binding wire - 2k worth

Workmanship for above.

Bricklayer - 40k
Carpenter - 5k
Filling of foundation - negotiate on site or 2.5k per tipper

Find the cost of the materials in your area and add up for project cost.

Thanks for contacting me.... (file closed)

Goodluck...

Thank you, i have your whatsapp, lets see how we go. really appreciate this

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Finesing: 9:58pm On Feb 03, 2019
saydfact:
This is one aspect where I expect everyone to save big on the building.

for a job of this size - Lintel works should have cost me about 250k - 300k

carpenter wld claim about 100k, welder wld get about 20k, and bricklayer shd also want close to 40k MINUS materials, transportation et all..

BUT I SPENT ONLY 14K for workmanship now do the maths ( 160K - 14K ) = 146K LABOUR ONLY SAVED.

How did I do it?

I went to the iron store, brought the iron and paid the guys about 5k to cut it to required sizes,

I got to site and got my employed labour to arrange the blocks as shown in pics below (offcourse you also save on numbers of reinforcement used)

For those who would query how strong it is - Iits stronger than the basic need of a lintel which is = (to bridge the space left by an opening)

We still had wood from our German floor and these came in handy

I had to explain to the labour how to cast the lintel and i paid him twice of what he wld have gotten as his day work with the bricklayer..

the result see PICS 4 showing how it was used..

I've been reading all your posts one by one and I'm so grateful
O have a question tho
Can someone who is building a duplex use this same cost saving method?
Or it's only for this type of project?
Thanks.
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 7:46am On Feb 04, 2019
Finesing:

I've been reading all your posts one by one and I'm so grateful
O have a question tho
Can someone who is building a duplex use this same cost saving method?
Or it's only for this type of project?
Thanks.

Its even better for duplex...... My property is one, and that's what I used..

Thanks for reading my post
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by joycluv: 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2019
Plz,how did you lift the pre-cast lintel
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Silverweb: 12:57pm On Feb 04, 2019
Do not allow yourself to be cheated by artisans or anyone in your building project. Let us help you with the actual quantity and cost of each material needed for your project. Call 08034131270

We help you count the cost
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 3:13pm On Feb 04, 2019
joycluv:
Plz,how did you lift the pre-cast lintel

man power
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by joycluv: 4:13pm On Feb 04, 2019
saydfact:

man power
. I intend to follow dis your pattern but plz clarify me on the following: ( 1) Like how many persons can lift one? (2) Is it with bare hands or what? (3) What will hold the men up? Again, what if it falls down and breaks?
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Finesing: 4:25pm On Feb 04, 2019
saydfact:

Its even better for duplex...... My property is one, and that's what I used..

Thanks for reading my post

Do you have like a blog or site for your property/building ish?
I spent the better part if yesterday and today reading and taking notes from all your property/building topics.
I'm still yearning to read and learn more.

Oh and thanks
Me and a lot of people are grateful for your good work.

May you work and never stumble.

I typed out a longer essay as a response but most contained private info so if you don't mind, can I email you?
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 5:28pm On Feb 04, 2019
Finesing:

Do you have like a blog or site for your property/building ish?
I spent the better part if yesterday and today reading and taking notes from all your property/building topics.
I'm still yearning to read and learn more.

Oh and thanks
Me and a lot of people are grateful for your good work.

May you work and never stumble.

I typed out a longer essay as a response but most contained private info so if you don't mind, can I email you?

Thanks sir... I have a blog but I discovered blogging on NL is easier for me... I've not updated my blog in a long while..

My email is cadsolutions2009@gmail.com.. I'll send you my WhatsApp nos if you mail me.

I'll also reply ur NL mail..
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 5:33pm On Feb 04, 2019
Evening Followers.

Kindly check out my latest post here >> https://www.nairaland.com/5002180/what-did-he-wrong-why#75413259

Thanks
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Finesing: 5:50pm On Feb 04, 2019
saydfact:

Thanks sir... I have a blog but I discovered blogging on NL is easier for me... I've not updated my blog in a long while..

My email is cadsolutions2009@gmail.com.. I'll send you my WhatsApp nos if you mail me.

I'll also reply ur NL mail..

Yes
I later found and went through your blog and can confirm
I still subscribed tho just incaee you decide to pick it up again, I can't afford to miss any update from you.
I just sent you an email and expecting a response soon.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by joycluv: 5:30am On Feb 05, 2019
joycluv:
. I intend to follow dis your pattern but plz clarify me on the following: ( 1) Like how many persons can lift one? (2) Is it with bare hands or what? (3) What will hold the men up? Again, what if it falls down and breaks?
Waiting patiently for your response on this
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 8:27am On Feb 05, 2019
joycluv:
Waiting patiently for your response on this

morning, these questions are not technical but let me attempt them.

1. How many persons can lift one = Depending on the size of window 2, 3 or 4.
2. Is it with bare hands or what? = Builders' choice - but we used bare hands
3. What will hold the men up = Scaffolds or a wooden platform, the same thing that would hold the men up when setting blocks above hand level or casting the conventional lintel
4. What if it falls and breaks = Just like any other building component, replace it.

I hope its 4/4 grin

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by joycluv: 11:35am On Feb 05, 2019
saydfact:

morning, these questions are not technical but let me attempt them.

1. How many persons can lift one = Depending on the size of window 2, 3 or 4.
2. Is it with bare hands or what? = Builders' choice - but we used bare hands
3. What will hold the men up = Scaffolds or a wooden platform, the same thing that would hold the men up when setting blocks above hand level or casting the conventional lintel
4. What if it falls and breaks = Just like any other building component, replace it.

I hope its 4/4 grin

. Many Thanks! Will be exploring this option soonest.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by tabithababy(f): 11:40am On Feb 05, 2019
I need a self con in gbagada kiss
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 3:00pm On Feb 05, 2019
tabithababy:
I need a self con in gbagada kiss

rent? That's not my field

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Is That Diabolical Sign To Look Out For While Renting An Apartment? / 7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped / Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.