Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,326 members, 7,780,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:01 PM

EFCC Probes President Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Probes President Obasanjo (4639 Views)

Poll: Will President Obasanjo be indicted?

Yes: 46% (6 votes)
No: 53% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

High-profile Fraud: EFCC Probes Four Judges Frustrating Probe / EFCC Probes Centenary City Project / N60bn Sale Proceeds: EFCC Probes Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 5:49pm On Feb 20, 2007
Wow! EFCC Probes Obasanjo

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is investigating the President's alleged link with some businesses in violation of the Constitution, its chairman said yesterday. Mr Nuhu Ribadu said his agency was probing allegations that Obasanjo was involved in ownership or management of Transnational Corporation of Nigeria (Transcorp) and the Bells University.

Ribadu was, for 60 minutes yesterday, guest of The Nation in Lagos."We are investigating and we will come out with our report" on these establishments, he said. The EFCC boss said the outcome of the investigation would be tabled for public consumption. Obasanjo's critics say he owns 200 million shares in Transcorp, the new business giant that is making waves in Nigeria. The Action Congress (AC) and the Atiku Campaign Organization led the way in disclosing these to Nigerians. He also allegedly owns the Bells University, licensed last year, as well as other businesses, whereas the 1999 Constitution prohibits public functionaries from engaging in private businesses while in office. The chairperson of Transcorp which bought majority stake in Nicon Hilton and the Nigerian Telecommunications Limited (NITEL), Mrs Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke, the chief executive of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE). She once confirmed that Obasanjo Farms Limited bought the said shares. Mrs Okereke-Onyiuke is officially a member of Obasanjo's economic team. Trancorp is into oil, telecommunications, agriculture, trade and entertainment.

At yesterday's interview session at The Nation, Ribadu battled fiercely to defend the integrity of the EFCC, which has come under severe attacks, following its listing of politicians who, it says, should not run for office. The limits of the commission's power have also been a subject of controversy. All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) presidential candidate Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) has alleged that the list of "indicted" politicians sent to the Federal Government was "doctored". Ribadu said the list being "doctored" was irrelevant as it was incumbent on the Federal Government to do whatever it likes with it. He was passionate in replying questions - raising his hand at times in driving home his point. Other times, he would just smile.

To the EFCC chairman, the commission, having completed its assignment on the "indicted politicians", the onus is on the government to accept it or reject it as employed by the 1999 Constitution. Ribadu said he was "perfectly in harmony" with every step taken to frustrate the political ambition of the "indicted politicians", insisting that they must be barred from contesting the April polls so as to prevent them from further damage of the economy. Ribadu said his visit to 27B, Fatai Atere Way, Matori, Lagos Mainland home of The Nation was in acknowledgment of this newspaper's solidarity and guidance in the battle against corruption. Ribadu said although Gen. Buhari was entitled to his own opinion, it was far from the truth as others whose names appeared on the original list were not seeking for any elective post. He said: "I don't want to belabour myself on opinions of individuals but the fact is that as law enforcement agents, we have our role to play and responsibilities. Talking about the list now, if you go by the Constitution, it says that is a candidate is indicted for fraud or corruption, that indictment will have effect if government accepts it. "In respect of the work we are doing, the Constitution says if there is an indictment, such indictment must be accepted by the government. This indictment was done by us and this has been on for sometime. And it is as a result of the work he has done in the last three to four years ago. "We got the list of candidates for the April elections and we went to our own data to crosscheck whether we have investigated some of them at one point or the other. At the end, we wrote to the political parties that the list some of your candidates have a case with us but our letter was not responded to."

Ribadu stood his ground that EFCC could indict people, even as his guests tendered the Constitution and the Oxford dictionary in their bid to prove the EFCC wrong. It was a heated session. Specifically, Ribadu insisted that the commission had not embarked on any illegality as due process as specified in the Constitution and the EFCC Act was its guide. He said the Federal Government was constitutionally empowered to accept the commission's findings with a view to issuing a white paper on the matter. "We have only one government in Nigeria. The President has the mandate of Nigerians. And we cannot take the list to Tony Blair. So this is the only government we have and we took this list and handed it to government as we cannot take it to ANPP. By that mandate, they have the right to accept it and what they do with it is their own responsibility," Ribadu said.

On whether the rights of the indicted politicians were breached, Ribadu said some of them where invited, but they chose to ignore the EFCC. This, according to him, was in order, although the governors on the list were not invited because of the immunity placed on them by the Constitution. Besides, he cleared the air on former Minister for Housing and Urban Development, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, saying the erstwhile Minister and Labour Party governorship candidate in Ondo State was not being investigated.

On why some names were omitted in the list, Ribadu said it was deliberate as they were not seeking for any elective post. "A lot of Nigerians have been indicted today but their names are not in the list because they are not contesting today. I must confess that what we are doing today is for all of us," Ribadu said.

"The list is an opportunity for the parties to change those indicted with another credible ones if they don't want to loose their chances of fielding candidates for the April polls," Ribadu said.

UPDATE: Source is www.efccnigeria.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1290&Itemid=2
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 5:51pm On Feb 20, 2007
I can't wait for the report to come out.

Now, we are talking.

Let us do it together as one, the right way for a change in Nigeria.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by IykeD1(m): 6:37pm On Feb 20, 2007
As I have said on so many occasions before, Ribadu is the MAN!

Obasanjo or no Obasanjo, Nigeria is doomed if she fails to seize
this moment of cleansing being presented by Ribadu and his men.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 6:51pm On Feb 20, 2007
I'm starting to feel what you have been preaching, my man.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by Afam(m): 6:53pm On Feb 20, 2007
Ultimately, Nigeria and well meaning Nigerians will benefit from the creation of EFCC.

Infact the best legacy OBJ may be leaving behind is the EFCC and I thank him for that.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by debosky(m): 6:58pm On Feb 20, 2007
y'all sound a little naive to me. EFCC will clear obj and that will be the end of that. they will not 'indict' him, he'll be given a clean bill of health

EFCC may have done good, but don't hold your breath waiting for obj to be indicted, maybe when he leaves office, but certainly not now
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by kitaun(m): 8:19pm On Feb 20, 2007
who is fooling who?

Like Debosky said, OBJ would be exonerated on all charges while you all will be left to wonder what went wrong with Ribadu!! grin
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by ugodaniel(m): 8:23pm On Feb 20, 2007
STORY "yawns" Next please! "hisses" lipsrsealed
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by kitaun(m): 8:26pm On Feb 20, 2007
people like you just keep making a fool of yourselves!! tongue

where the hell did u get that jibe from? undecided

story of your life? grin grin

keep yawning dude, its allowed cool

abi u be Ribadu's nephew?
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by Mamajama(m): 8:30pm On Feb 20, 2007
Even if OBJ is indicted, the judge that will preside over that case has not been born. same reason we can't find evidence to prosecute maradonna. mago mago too much in Nigeria. this is just empty barrel making loud noise
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by McKren(m): 9:20pm On Feb 20, 2007
debosky:

y'all sound a little naive to me. EFCC will clear obj and that will be the end of that. they will not 'indict' him, he'll be given a clean bill of health

EFCC may have done good, but don't hold your breath waiting for obj to be indicted, maybe when he leaves office, but certainly not now

I agree with you, though a more strategic move by the EFCC will be to delay the report till OBJ leaves office.
Because if they give OBJ a clean bill of health they are only giving Atiku and Co a tool to fight cos they wont accept any report that wont indict OBJ, but if on the other had they indict him the senate will remember their job because of their penchant for Anti-OBJ situation which will not help Nigeria cos Atiku's first move will be to frustrate the EFCC and INEC.

However I think the probe will only be academic cos OBJ has less than 100days in office
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by Seun(m): 9:25pm On Feb 20, 2007
I need to know the source of this story. A direct link to the page you copied it from. Thanks.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by BigB11(m): 9:59pm On Feb 20, 2007
http://www.efccnigeria.org

And the story is on the first list of latest news column or window

This is big b1, guys; all information is authentic as usual.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by IykeD1(m): 10:02pm On Feb 20, 2007
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by alabiyemmy(m): 10:51pm On Feb 20, 2007
which of you can do better than EFCC or OBJ self? All we get for Nija na mouth like "ajakara".

Imagine people who cant even rule their own household criticising everything a government agency or government does. Soyinka did more than that, they put him in Road Safety Corps, what did he make of it - nothing. So as they say - if you cant do - let those that can do do what the do they have to do.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by mystikal(m): 11:00pm On Feb 20, 2007
the ribadu led efcc is just making such statements 2 look good in the public eye
we all know nothin! 'll happen 2 sege.
they shd stop fooling us, we know things
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by mystikal(m): 11:05pm On Feb 20, 2007
E BE LIKE SAY DEM WAN 2 DO ANOTHER DECEIVING AGAIN--o
NO BE SMALL THING--o
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by bakoko2007(m): 11:19pm On Feb 20, 2007
i think we should give some kudos to Ribadu and his colleagues. there job is not a very easy one. most people especially public office holders now think twice before they embark on their jamborees these days. Even if he cannot indict Obasanjo remember he has some things against the likes of Odili, Adedibu, Alao-Akala and a host of others who were believed to be Obasanjo faithfuls and hence untouchable,
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by progwiz(m): 11:24pm On Feb 20, 2007
in a short while we shall see what it will result to !!
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by alabiyemmy(m): 11:24pm On Feb 20, 2007
EFCC is cleaning the entire polity - it now becomes a problem when the searchlight has turned and is turning to the politicians - EFCC is looking at the banks - everyone is careful what money is laundered through the banks because EFCC has blocked every loophole, noone is talking there, EFCC is working to rid Nigeria of scammers and 419ers, noone is complaining, but when the searchlight is now turning to politicians, then it is a problem - indeed, the problem in this country are the politicians themselves, they want to steal and hide under the cover of the consitution - hiding under every loophole - if you are clean and someone says you are not, then give every thing possible tothat person to prove it that you are unclean, the politicians have ruined the country but to God, they have done enough.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by IykeD1(m): 1:01am On Feb 21, 2007
I agree that the politicians are the problems - but a lot of our ignorant fellow citizens applaud them
all the way!

Things will change when people realize that a one thousand mile journey must begin with a step.
If you can't fight corruption and take on the President at the same time, that is not enough reason
to call it quits and turn a blind eye to what everyone else is doing. Those who may be untouchable
today may not be so tomorrow. If you have an institution like the EFCC, they go to work when the
untouchables become touchables. If you gut the EFCC now, you will remain stuck where you are as
far as tackling corruption is concerned.

I can't read Ribadu's mind or know what the EFCC has up its sleeves, but my guess is if Obasanjo
has any real case to answer, I will suspect that it may very well have to do with engaging in improper
transactions like investing in Transcorp and the likes (he never made this a secret anyway). The EFCC
has hinted in the past that Obasanjo borrowed the money to buy the shares.

Obasanjo's problem might be one of using his influence to gain financial advantage for himself, and not
necessarily that of dipping his hands into the cookie jar. Only time will tell though, but the truth
be told, I will be satisfied as a Nigerian when our leaders reach the point of using their influence to get
personal loans rather than helping themselves to our treasuries. That will definitely be a step in the right
direction. Let the banks assume the risks if they want to. With time, we can clamp down on any related
abuses stemming from such practices. But like I said initially, you must have a starting point.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by LePhilippe(m): 1:34am On Feb 21, 2007
Bold, bold, bold, bold move!! This indicates the end is near!!!
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by Ndipe(m): 1:36am On Feb 21, 2007
This new precedent has given credibility to EFCC
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by LePhilippe(m): 1:46am On Feb 21, 2007
I love when everthing falls apart for corrupt persons!!
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by 1one: 2:18am On Feb 21, 2007
prior to the report by the EFCC on Obasanjo's unconstituitional financial spree , i had already concluded that even though the EFCC was doing a good job in opening the can of worms of many corrupt politicians, the ribadu led committee would in no way attempt to bite the hands that feeds it, in the sense of laying any tainting allegations against the nation's number one man, but after what i heard about the possibly indictment of obj due to the allegations, i would say we should really hail ribadu for this oustanding feat of bravery, he has really shown that his steel carved teeth is ever ready to chew on any bone no matter how hard it might be,the president inclusive.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by soulpatrol(f): 4:59am On Feb 21, 2007
finally, someone's got the balls to deal with corruption head-on. just what we needed all along. but why is it that when there's someone that tries to handle matters in a different way, people are already putting their hands down and shouting that it will not work. thats whats been holding us back all these centuries. pessimissism. its time to think positive, this is a sign that things will move forward. this is your country people, you need to show support in weeding out the corrupt leaders. dont just be negative and passive and think that God will come down to help us. its time for all these corrupt leaders to face the music sheesh! lipsrsealed
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by babadee(m): 5:43am On Feb 21, 2007
though Ribadu can be said to be doing a good job but like always in Nigeria, there are still the untouchables or why are people like Alao-Akala, IBB, Anenih, Bode George etc not on the list? we all know the real corrupt politicians in Nigeria so enough talk on the efcc list, its just a list as manipulated by the executive as usual.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by phadrea: 7:10am On Feb 21, 2007
Who are the FCC deceiving?they think we Nigerians are fools.Let them go and sit down.
How can a servant probe his master? Wat do u think will come out of it,for sure he will be declared innocent.
Dint be deceived.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by westlife(m): 8:16am On Feb 21, 2007
l cann't wait for the report.Thats a better story.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by Y2k(m): 8:30am On Feb 21, 2007
Good news. No more impeachment. The report will be negative if they did not do ojoro.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by phine: 9:06am On Feb 21, 2007
i just hope something good will come out of it.let it not be like camouflag.as in just probing obj for probing sake.
Re: EFCC Probes President Obasanjo by mekoyo(m): 9:36am On Feb 21, 2007
The EFCC has been doing a great job thanks to Mr. President for setting up this consitiution.

But wait, do you think president Obasanjo will be indicted or prosecuted.

Its just to cover up the allegation against Atiku. The report that will be released later will vindicate the president.

Lets wait and watch and listen carefully to the outcome of this.

EFCC more strength and insight to you. Keep the good job and fish out all those illegal acts and corrupt governors.

Nigerians are right at your back.

Good job RIBADU

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How GEJ Is Preparing To Divide Nigeria / How Police Avert Another Bomb Blast In Kano Today / Revealed: Majority Of Those Who Returned Looted Money Are APC – Kwankwaso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.