Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

My Commentary On Luke 7:37-50 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Commentary On Luke 7:37-50 (613 Views)

To Those Who Venerate Mary, What Are Your Thoughts On Luke 11:27-28? / Homily On Luke 17:11-19 / Check Out My Insights On Luke 1:41 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Commentary On Luke 7:37-50 by Raphael81(m): 7:38pm On Oct 23, 2017
To understand Luke 7:37-50 we must have a clear understanding of what Jesus did 2000 years ago, we must picture ourselves in the holy land also. When Jesus was preaching the good news, many people listened to him, his fame was all over. The woman who is referred to as a sinner was a never a criminal or money doubler neither was she a tax collector. The woman was a harlot, the reason being that prostitution was a trade that wasn't hidden in the olden days hence we read about Rahab the harlot in Joshua 2:1, so this woman in Luke 7:37 was also a harlot. When she heard Jesus preaching towards her street where she carried out her trade, she instantly had this agape love for him because the words he uttered were repentance and that he came for the lost sheep he also told them about the merciful nature of the father. The Holy Spirit touched her heart (john 16:cool, hence she had to look for the next place Jesus will visit because she discovered she will only find peace in Jesus. Due to the nature of her trade she was familiar with good perfume(ointment) to attract good customers, hence she decided to buy an expensive ointment to anoint the feet of Jesus. In doing that little act of charity, her sins were washed away hence Peter tells us that Charity covers a multitude of sins,1 Peter 4:8. The Pharisee was shocked that Jesus could allow a sinner to touch him, hence he doubted the authenticity that Jesus held the office of a Prophet because he would have known that she was a prostitute and he should have reprimanded her immediately. As sinners we are debtors to God who is the creditor hence, without holiness no man shall see God (Hebrews 12:14). The Parable he told his host referred to the host and the woman, even as the Pharisee struggles daily for holiness he still has a touch of sin it was only at the physical encounter he and the woman had with Jesus that they were completely washed and made clean. Jesus does something which may surprise people that don't reverence him as God. The common belief among people who believe in God/a god is that it is only God/a god that can forgive them their sins. So in Luke 7:47-50 Jesus exercises the prerogative of mercy, the ocean of love which can only be exercised by God/a god, by forgiving her sins Jesus tells us in a hidden language that he is God, because the belief of the jews is that only God can forgive sins, the Jews were shocked that someone with the same flesh like them could forgive sins. The encounter of the Pharisee, woman and Jesus presents to us a simple message that to understand and follow Jesus, it is only the Holy Spirit that can lead us to Jesus. Thank you for listening I hope to hear your own view too.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Femi Aribisala Reacts To Tithing Debate / Prosperity Heretic Kenneth Copeland Buys Gulfstream V Private Jet, Demands $17 M / Things Christains Says When They Know They Are Losing The Argument

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.