Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,835 members, 7,806,352 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

5 Benefits of Having A Coach - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Benefits of Having A Coach (405 Views)

Lady Loses Her OAP Job For Having A Speech Problem (Photo) / Is There Any Advantage Of Having A HSE Certificate? / Benefits Of Having A Daycare In The Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Benefits of Having A Coach by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 24, 2017
5 Benefits of Having A Coach
By Johnspeak Uwangue (Provocational Speaker, Talent Manager and Coach)

Having a coach – what are the benefits? Are
coaches only for those who need to have
‘performance improvement’? Is having a coach worth the money? These are valid questions. Having a coach is similar to having a personal trainer. No one needs a personal trainer to achieve their fitness goals,
but I know from having a trainer that I achieved my fitness goals much faster and with more confidence than without one. I was guided and motivated to exercise, achieving my goals and held accountable to my fitness routine. The benefits of having a coach are
similar. Coaching is a relationship and a process based on focus and commitment. There are numerous benefits of having a coach; here are five of my favourites.

1. Having a Professional Confidante With Your Best Interest in Mind

With a professional coach you will have someone who is experienced and non-judgmental in your corner. They are your sounding board and will provide advice if that is what you want. A coach is great as they
solely have your best interest in mind, where as your colleague or manager often have their own ‘agenda’ within in the business relationship. For example, your manager will provide you with feedback at your
performance review and hopefully throughout the year but this feedback is often focused on improving your performance as it relates to the organization’s goals rather than your personal or professional goals. During a coaching session you will have continuous one to one attention from your coach who is
committed to your success, the sessions and
coaching relationship will be all about you.

2. A Coach Sees and Believes in Your Potential

A coach does not know your weaknesses and
limitations – unless you share them of course. A coach sees and believes in your potential. A coach will help you to ‘time shift’ your thinking so you can envision yourself in the future doing what you want to do and being who you want to be. Some people I
have worked with see ‘lack of confidence’ or ‘fear failure’ as the barrier to them reaching their potential. Does this sound familiar for you or anyone you work with? Your coach will ask some tough questions to understand the source of your lack of confidence and will give you strategies to either reframe your
thinking or to build confidence. If your vision is to be a confident leader in your organization coaching will help you to envision the ‘future you’ and work with you to create the plan to get there. Your potential or ‘altitude’ is created by you and your coach will see no
limitations in you achieving this altitude.

3. A Coach Will Help you to Expand your Thinking

A coach will work with you to refresh your attitude and to expand your thinking. Most of the challenges we face each day are based on the limitations and fears we place on ourselves. With coaching there will be many questions and sometimes some tough
questions to really delve into the reasons for your fears – understanding where your fears and limitations come from is key to overcoming them. A coach will help you to get out of your own way!

4. A Coach Will Help You to Go Around, Go Through or Go Over Obstacles That Limit your Success

Many challenges we face each day in our personal or worklife are due to factors beyond our control. For example, if your workplace goes through a restructuring many of your colleagues may lose their job, you may have additional responsibilities, you may a new manager and you may have guilt or fear
related to the restructuring. Have you ever come out of a meeting and wished that you
had said or done something differently –
maybe participated more or said less. This
type of reflection and self-awareness is
excellent but it also creates self-doubt.
Coaching will help you to reframe your
thinking and self-awareness to come from a
positive position. It will also help you to
clarify your challenges and will guide you in
how to overcome the challenge or negative
self-talk and be able to move forward.

5. A Coach Will Hold you Accountable To Your
Plan and Goals.

They will provide you with a tremendous
amount of support to help you have the tools,
resources and way of thinking to achieve your
goals. Part of this support will be in the form
of holding you accountable. This is a part of
coaching that many people do not like – they
want to achieve their goals but do not want to
be held accountable. I have heard “I do not
want a coach because I do not want anyone
telling me what to do”. This would be true for
most people, as professionals many do not
want to be told what to do – but we do want
someone to support and encourage us to be
reach our goals. A coach is this
‘accountability partner’. This accountability
may be in the form of ‘homework’
assignments and/or motivation, inspiration and
encouragement. At each coaching session
your coach will ask you for an update on your
progress towards your goals. It can be easy
to make excuses as to why you did not stick
to the plan. Your coach will help you move
from giving excuses as to why objectives
were not achieved to one of taking
accountability for what was achieved and
adjusting the plan to ensure success.
The value of coaching is hard to quantify and
therefore it is challenging to understand the
value you will achieve from having a coach.
It is important to remember that your coach
will be your biggest non-judgmental supporter

– he or she will believe in you and will be very
and committed to helping you get out of your
own way. A coach is key part of your team
needed for you to achieve your personal and
professional success.

Succeed You Must.

Lalasticlala Seun Crazyman

(1) (Reply)

100% Free Books On Excellence In Digital Marketing / CV That Gets You The Interview! / What Is Your Greatest Acheivement In The Year ''2017'' ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.