Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,501 members, 7,808,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables (4105 Views)

Nedum Onuoha Left With Nasty Cut By Teammate (pics) / Is Sunderland's Nedum Onuoha Good Enough For Siasia's Eagles / Austin Okocha Warns Nedum Onuoha Over Nigeria Snub. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 15, 2010
Nigeria are expected to make a bid to lure Manchester City's England U-21 defender Nedum Onuoha back into their fold.

New coach Lars Lagerback is said to have compiled a list of players eligible to play for the Super Eagles but who might have been capped at junior level by other countries.

Onuoha is reported to be top of that list considering that he is in fine form for City at the moment and Lagerback is looking for options to shore up the defence of the Nigerian side.

Complete Sports reported that Lagerback will be contacting Onuoha who has once turned down a Nigeria call up for possible inclusion in the World Cup team.

"(Lars) has made it known to the player how well he would want him to play in South Africa especially with many pundits and fans condemning the team's defence at the last Nations Cup in Angola" Emeka Enechi, Lagerback's agent said.

"Nedum's coming along will increase competition for places and get the best out of the other guys".

Onuoha has risen from the youth team of City to command a place in the senior team where he has made 89 appearances and scored 2 goals since 2004.

He was born in Warri, South-south Nigeria, but was raised in Manchester where he excelled in school sports before joining City's youth academy.

source
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by hollandis(f): 4:47pm On Mar 15, 2010
Who is Onuoha?When last did he feature for Mancity .He played in their FA cup loss and that was 3 games ago.

WE DON'T NEED ANY PREMIERSHIP PLAYERS .THEY ARE ALL UNDER ACHIEVERS
ETUHU
KANU
ONUOHA
YOBO
AIYEGBENI
ANICHEBE
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by chelseabmw(m): 9:05pm On Mar 15, 2010
anyways, provided we win our matches at the world cup
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by Seun(m): 5:52pm On Mar 30, 2010
Onuoha targets Nigeria switch

Manchester City defender Nedum Onuoha is ready to turn his back on England in order to experience World Cup football with Nigeria this summer.

Onuoha has been capped 21 times by England Under-21s and has even captained the side under Stuart Pearce, but the City centre-back is keen to play for the country of his birth and insisted a call-up from new Super Eagles boss Lars Lagerback would be hard to turn down.

"It will be flattering to be approached by Nigeria," Onuoha told the Daily Mail. "No-one has spoken to me since the former manager Berti Vogts made an informal approach a couple of years ago.

"I follow Nigerian football all the time. I'm the same as any other person - if you are born there that's where your heart is.

"I have not been approached by any official from Nigeria but if I am, I will weigh up my options and consult my family. But it's more than a possibility that I will agree to play for the Eagles."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/763794/ce/uk/
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by sulad82i(m): 6:15pm On Mar 30, 2010
Its not by name or right to play for the Nigerian squad anymore. If you qualify, you join in, if not, sorry bro.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by Meldrick(m): 6:18pm On Mar 30, 2010
East, West, North, home is the best. Come home boy and eat oil money.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by sammytb(m): 6:22pm On Mar 30, 2010
There re millions of players in nigeria, but getting them is the problem, If only they can give Lagerback the time an d the free hand to work, 1
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by BizBooks(m): 7:08pm On Mar 30, 2010
I have seen Nedum Onuoha play for City once as a substitute. Sadly, in that instance he committed a foul that resulted in a penalty. I don't know if he is ready for the SE, but with our calibre of players who can say he is not.

Our problem is not in defence but midfield and attack. Largerback should work on getting Agbonlahor and making sure that Ikechukwu Uche is called up. As it seems now, it doesn't look like he is looking at Uche's direction. That will be a big mistake.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by tobiit(m): 7:11pm On Mar 30, 2010
Atleast, that change we have been expecting in Nigeria futbal is coming gradually.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by Primegold: 7:15pm On Mar 30, 2010
Personally, I believe that one thing that's as bad as not qualifying for the World Cup is being disgraced at the World Cup.

We are in a tough group. We need our best players whether they are in Nigeria or abroad.

However, It doesn't quite feel okay that some players who turned Nigeria down when they thought they will be selected to represent other countries, or who thought Nigeria will not make it to SA 2010 now posturing on how much they love Nigeria, and now wants to represent Naija at SA probably at the expense of the players who qualified us for the World Cup.

If we didn't qualify for the World Cup, will Mr. Nedum Onuoha want to play for Nigeria? Anyway, that's Lagerback's headache.
At times like this, I always remember Mr Sam Okwaraji of blessed memory. He was a true icon of patrotism. God bless his soul.

I wish Naija a successful outing at the Mundial.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by Nobody: 7:18pm On Mar 30, 2010
im sure its now obvious we dont have a formidable 23-man squad.the best option is what lagerback is doing.im definitely for nedum's call up
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by mbulela: 10:03pm On Mar 30, 2010
nedum is not good enough.
besides,like Fashanu, he is looking to reap where he never sowed.
Sorry mate, you are fired!!!
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by omar22(m): 10:12pm On Mar 30, 2010
He could play both right back and center and is as good as Yobo but he is fast, faster than Cristiano Ronaldo
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by 9jafreak: 10:41pm On Mar 30, 2010
omar22:

He could play both right back and center and is as good as Yobo but he is fast, faster than Cristiano Ronaldo

Dude do you mean FAST or FAT? hahahahahahahaha

On a serious note though, Onuoha is aT best a decent defender. I am a City supporter and have watched him play many times, especially under Hughes with Toure's injury.

I wuld still pick Shittu & Adeleye over him anytime.

But of course, he is still better than "SCARY YOBO"
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by Basics007: 2:44am On Mar 31, 2010
So City don dey get supporters too now. Lol.
As much as I want Naija to present his best legs at the WC,as someone said,it doesn't seem right that people who once turned us down are now positioning to get into the team. Me,i'm kinda confused . But if it's actually proven that he's better than the Adeleyes,Yobos,Shittus etc why not. The mere thought of Nwaneri marking Arguero makes me want to shit my pants
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by sunnela: 7:09am On Mar 31, 2010
Basics007:

So City don dey get supporters too now. Lol.
As much as I want Naija to present his best legs at the WC,as someone said,it doesn't seem right that people who once turned us down are now positioning to get into the team. Me,i'm kinda confused . But if it's actually proven that he's better than the Adeleyes,Yobos,Shittus etc why not. The mere thought of Nwaneri marking Arguero makes me want to poo my pants

Me think that if a player turns down naija at their prime, e.g Shola ameobi, Nedum, Dennis Aogo etc, they should have the dignity not to want to come back when their desired international career is not forthcoming, just live with, how can an Ameobi that told us that he had concuslted with his family and decided to play for England now talk of going to world cup with Naija, just cos he's playing in the championship these days and now nedum onuoha, and we forget so easily , Good luck to agbonlahor cos i know he's good enuff to make capeelo team but if he doesn't , we should never attempt to lure him back, Let's start sending out the right message, Gawd!
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by spikedcylinder: 8:58am On Mar 31, 2010
I thought they said he already turned it down?
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by buttkick: 9:40am On Mar 31, 2010
i have no big dreams for the current squad. my outlook is for the near future. victor anichebe, nedum onuoha, mikel obi, should form the nucleus of that team . what i expect is for them to start featuring to prepare them for the big times which around the corner.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by omar22(m): 9:45am On Mar 31, 2010
I dont think he turned down the Eagles call up, may be the flying Eagles call up which I would understand because they are still growing and their head could easily be turned by all parties including their agents in relation to sponsorships, now we have a player Sven rate highly, a defender with speed in Nigeria is like gold dust. cutting our nose to spite the face wouldnt help, was it 2 or 4 years ago Enekari mis-judged a from 60 yards ago and thats the calibre of defender we currently have but Nedum knows the basic of defender,
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by Akabiboy(m): 9:51am On Mar 31, 2010
I prefer naija go to the world cup and loose than allowing all this glory hunters who are looking to reap where they did not sowbe in the team. what was he think before? did he forget he was born in warri? or maybe he thought he was from stockport road or something. What will happen to those who have been playing all this while? He should just forget about playing for Nigeria because when the country needs him he wasnt there.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by Redman44(m): 10:37am On Mar 31, 2010
I feel we need to forgive Nedum Onuoha for rejecting Nigeria in the past. He has decided to play for his country of birth now. These kind of things happen. We need to search for players of Nigerian origin in Europe who are gifted and are ready to play for the country. Growing up and living in Europe exposes players of Nigerian origin to real professionalism, discipline, good coaching, good nutrition, solid sports facilities and modern tactics in football. I remember how Coach Samson Siasia maximised the skills of Everton's Victor Anichebe by taking him to the Beijing Olympics. We need Onuoha and others like him. There is a guy called Solomon Taiwo who played for Dagenham and Redbridge FC in England. The club is not in the English Premiership or Championship League 1. It is in League 2 but Taiwo is a good player. I think he has left the club for a better one now but I followed his performances for some time. We have talented players all over Europe. Let us discover them and make good use of them for Nigeria's soccer glory. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by bisiaet: 10:59am On Mar 31, 2010
Well if he said he wanted to come he is free it all depend if the new coach want him or not. The truth now is that the era of Amodu is gone the new man in charge I presume knew what kind of player he wants. So nothing is wrong for him saying he will accept to play for Nigeria but Nigeria can as well refuse him to play or accept him to play it all depend if the coach want his service or not. I just wish him all the best.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by labodeolu(m): 1:22pm On Mar 31, 2010
@ 9jafreak :yes nedum onuoha is very fast, I mean extremely fast, he is one of the fastest defenders in the league if you care to know.He might have other weaknesses but speed is not one of them. If you are a true citizen then you should know this by now,
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by 2tait: 2:36pm On Mar 31, 2010
everybody come inside. let the best legs play. lagerback has thrown his camp open. even if you have a good player in your village, bring the person.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by omar22(m): 2:45pm On Mar 31, 2010
@ 9jafreak :yes nedum onuoha is very fast, I mean extremely fast, he is one of the fastest defenders in the league if you care to know.He might have other weaknesses but speed is not one of them. If you are a true citizen then you should know this by now,

I said this before, he beat England's new sprinter Craig Pickering over 100m, when I have seen Solomon Kalou make a monkey out of Yobo, his turning looked like a Trailer trying to do a 3 point turning,
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by chelseabmw(m): 3:54pm On Mar 31, 2010
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by kodewrita(m): 3:59pm On Mar 31, 2010
NOt bad but I hope lagerback achieves what I see him doing (building a new nigerian team).
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by eros(m): 12:16am On Apr 01, 2010
Whatever the case is, we need results and if he is able to give us results, then he is welcomed to the team.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by solokay(m): 8:04am On Apr 01, 2010
He is welcome. We need all the good guys that we can get.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by Ibime(m): 12:27pm On Apr 01, 2010
Nedum Onuoha is NEEDED in Nigeria. He will last 13 years in the Super Eagles, unlike our here-today, gone-tomorrow old men.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by sley4life(m): 9:50am On Apr 02, 2010
The camp would b thrown open so if he impresses he can partake in the wc.
Re: Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha Tops List Of Nigeria Probables by phreakabit(m): 10:50am On Apr 06, 2010
Nedum is an animal for insisting on playing for Nigeria,I vividly remember when he was invited during the era of the late great berti vogtsĀ  grin,sorry about that but the mans career is as good as dead,anyways back to Nedum and his garbage i remember back then Nedum vehemently refuted the idea of playing for Nigeria,saying he would rather play for England,lo and behold the A$$ wipe now deems it fit to play for 9ja abi, because we don qualify for WC? Beside i still believe Odiah and Yusuf Mohamed would do a better job than him on the right side of defense he shouldnt even consider going to the central defense as that side of defense is totally covered right now,I think he is way too sluggish and somewhat unintelligent,less than impressive of recent.No more Monkey dey work Baboon dey chop,he should have joined the team when we where struggling and not now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Straight Draw / Bournemouth Sack Coach, Scott Parker After 9 - 0 Mauling At Liverpool / Ejide Out For 2 Weeks!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.