Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,889 members, 7,798,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? (13353 Views)

Alcohol And Gambling (Islam Vs Christianity) / Islam vs Christianity. / Egypt Vs Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 5:36pm On Oct 24, 2017
As discussed earlier, Butterflyl1on and I are going to have a debate on the topic;

Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination?

I believe that there is steep indoctrination in christianity while Butterflyl1on believes it is the other way around. So, let the debate start.

Please, no insults.

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by Saverin: 5:40pm On Oct 24, 2017
Both
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by JackBizzle: 5:43pm On Oct 24, 2017
My first argument

There is a lot of indoctrination in christianity. I say this because it is a religion that is taught to young children at a stage where they are gullible. Christianity is not taught with logic and open-mindedness. It is usually taught with visions of hell for the disobedient and it is taught as fact, whereas it is just one religion out of hundreds.

Facts
1. The fact is that most christians today are people who were born into christianity. The only exception to this is South Korea where it spread like wildfire, but it is changing as the youths there are leaving religion.

2. Christianity is taught as fact. Children are not allowed to question dogma. As a catholic child questioning the trinity will get you stern chiding or evasive answers.

3. There is a study that shows that religious children are less likely to separate fact from fiction
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-28537149

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by chemystery: 6:12pm On Oct 24, 2017
Following...
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by Dalam0n: 6:22pm On Oct 24, 2017
Your first points are too simple, but let me follow the debate and see how it goes.
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:33pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on. sir mbok , I beg you , let me take your place in this debate . To utterly destroy this guy is sweeting me now . You are way too big for him anyway .Let me finish him off completely into oblivion. mbok

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 6:41pm On Oct 24, 2017
JackBizzle:
As discussed earlier, Butterflyl1on and I are going to have a debate on the topic;

Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination?

I believe that there is steep indoctrination in christianity while Butterflyl1on believes it is the other way around. So, let the debate start.

Please, no insults.

Where and when did I say it was the other way round?

This is what happens when somebody does not think a thread through and just opens a Christianity Vs atheism thread.

So let me break it down for you

Indoctrination simply means TO TEACH!

In no place did I say religion is not indoctrination (belief through teaching) what I said was that atheism is ALSO caused by indoctrination.

A major causal factor of atheism is the "secular indoctrination of a generation". A generation being found in each individual. For example, a man becomes an atheist and from him a future generation would spring forth so this man who is the first atheist represents a generation. He in turn would begin TO TEACH (indoctrinate) about what and how he arrived at being an atheist.

In 2013, a study found that academia was less likely to hire evangelical Christians due to discriminatory attitudes which in turn aided the indoctrination of atheism in schools.

https://townhall.com/columnists/rachelalexander/2013/06/10/suspicions-confirmed-academia-shutting-out-conservative-professors-n1616406/page/full

Some of this indoctrination was carried out through force as declared here by the university of cambridge

According to the University of Cambridge, historically, the "most notable spread of atheism was achieved through the success of the 1917 Russian Revolution, which brought the Marxist-Leninists to power."[2] Vitalij Lazarʹevič Ginzburg, a Soviet physicist, wrote that the "Bolshevik communists were not merely atheists but, according to Lenin's terminology, militant atheists."[3]

The Reign of Terror of the French Revolution established a state which was anti-Roman Catholicism/Christian in nature [4] (anti-clerical deism and anti-religious atheism and played a significant role in the French Revolution[5][6]), with the official ideology being the Cult of Reason; during this time thousands of believers were suppressed and executed by the guillotine.[7]

From the immediate past to today, Atheists have focused considerable efforts on the public schools in order to indoctrinate young people into atheistic beliefs.

The new atheists Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss claim that children need state protection from religion/religion of children's parents.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/richard-dawkins-the-government-needs-to-protect-children-from-religion-and

Here is an extract from the website

There is a balancing act and you have to balance the rights of parents and the rights of children, and I think the balance has swung too far towards parents,” Dawkins told the Irish Times. “Children do need to be protected so that they can have a proper education and not be indoctrinated in whatever religion their parents happen to have been brought up in.”

He added, "You have to write off those people" who value the Bible over science.

In a nutshell what Dawkins said is that we need to teach (indoctrinate) our children with science over the Bible despite his first saying THERE SHOULD BE A BALANCE.

We have seen atheists even here on nairaland who hold firmly to evolutionalism over creationism simply because THEY HAVE BEEN INDOCTRINATED INTO DARWINISM.

Indoctrination is not a religious thing but indoctrination is found in ALL AREAS OF life including atheism. Just as I started off saying, indoctrination simply means TO TEACH and when one is not allowed to be taught a certain thing he or she would be thought something else as a replacement and in this case, atheism speaks of science, philosophy, etc and some are self indoctrinated while some are third party indoctrinated.

To further buttress my point, right here on nairaland a thread was opened talking about an atheist convention. Here is the thread

https://www.nairaland.com/4099120/official-announcement-board-atheist-society

In that convention a certain bill flavell (a white man) has been specially invited to help TEACH (INDOCTRINATE) Those who would attend and I believe that the reason a white man was specifically invited is because the host believes he knows something they do not know or he is more enlightened so needs to come and pass on the knowledge aka TEACH aka INDOCTRINATE about ROAD TO REASON.

so anyone who claims atheism is not indoctrination is simply deceiving his or herself

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by Dalam0n: 6:42pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
butterflyl1on. sir mbok , I beg you , let me take your place in this debate . To utterly destroy this guy is sweeting me now . You are way too big for him anyway .Let me finish him off completely into oblivion. mbok

I will love to participate in this debate. We can make it a two way thing you and butterflylion against me and JackBizzle. Drop your points I drop mine and the we counter each other's point's. No insult just simple dropping of points and countering of the points dropped.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 6:44pm On Oct 24, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Leave jackbizzle he never reasons far enough to be taken seriously anyway.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:02pm On Oct 24, 2017
Dalam0n:

I will love to participate in this debate. We can make it a two way thing you and butterflylion against me and JackBizzle. Drop your points I drop mine and the we counter each other's point's. No insult just simple dropping of points and countering of the points dropped.

Great idea . I'm in

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:02pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Leave jackbizzle he never reasons far enough to be taken seriously anyway.

Very true

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by chemystery: 7:11pm On Oct 24, 2017
When you say assassination simply means killing , then it will be right if someone say "I assassinated a ram for Ramadan celebration".

This is pointing out the insincerity and skewing of the true meaning of indoctrination by butterflyl1on with the motive of placing atheism in the same umbrella with Christianity.

Indoctrination simply means to teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs with no room for criticism or consideration of whether what is being taught is right or wrong.

Teaching someone how to think deep, rationally or critically cannot be defined as indoctrination since it gives room for logical reasoning, evaluation of data and facts before arriving at a conclusion.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 7:12pm On Oct 24, 2017
Jackbizzle can you share with us how you became an atheist.
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 7:16pm On Oct 24, 2017
chemystery:
When you say assassination simply means killing , then it will be right if someone say "I assassinated a ram for Ramadan celebration".

This is pointing out the insincerity and skewing of the true meaning of indoctrination by butterflyl1on with the motive of placing atheism in the same umbrella with Christianity.

Indoctrination simply means to teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs with no room for criticism or consideration of whether what is being taught is right or wrong.

Teaching someone how to think deep, rationally or critically cannot be defined as indoctrination since it gives room for logical reasoning, evaluation of data and facts before arriving at a conclusion.

Kindly stop disrupting.

To understand any word. Go to its source.

View the attached and stop disrupting

This is from Merriam Webster dictionary

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Kindly stop disrupting.

ALL MY LIFE,
I'VE NEVER KNOWN A MAN MORE ADDICTED TO LOSING LIKE YOU.
YOU'RE MORE THAN ADDICTED, LOSING IS IN YOUR DNA.
YOU SAY EVERYTHING WRONGLY AND DON'T EVER GET ANYTHING RIGHT.
YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE THE MOST FLAWED, AND I THINK YOU'RE THE DUMBEST IN THE LAND.
I USED TO THINK YOU'RE THE JOKER TYPE BUT I GOT TO LATER FIND OUT, THAT THIS IS THE REAL YOU.

YOUR SLAVE ANCESTORS ARE UNIMPRESSED. undecided

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by Dalam0n: 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2017
When you begin by dishonestly defining words, then you shouldn't expect anybody to take you seriously.

butterflyl1on:

To teach what?

There is no dictionary anywhere that defines indoctrination only as meaning to teach.

Indoctrination does not mean only to teach as you are trying to claim.

I will give you a dictionary definition of indoctrination.

indoctrination
ɪnˌdɒktrɪˈneɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
1. the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.
"I would never subject children to religious indoctrination".

2 :to imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle.

Indoctrination is not a religious thing but indoctrination is found in ALL AREAS OF life including atheism. Just as I started off saying, indoctrination simply means TO TEACH

False, indoctrination does not mean to teach.
The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines indoctrination as:

"To imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle."

This is very different as simply saying to teach.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 7:23pm On Oct 24, 2017
Dalam0n:
When you begin by dishonestly defining words, then you shouldn't expect anybody to take you seriously.

To teach what?

There is no dictionary anywhere that defines indoctrination only as meaning to teach.

Indoctrination does not mean only to teach as you are trying to claim.

I will give you a dictionary definition of indoctrination.

indoctrination
ɪnˌdɒktrɪˈneɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
1. the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.
"I would never subject children to religious indoctrination".

2 :to imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle.

False, indoctrination does not mean to teach.
The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines indoctrination as:

"To imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle."

This is very different as simply saying to teach.

I have responded to both you and chemystery above. You can stop disrupting now. ANYTHING TAUGHT IS INDOCTRINATION BE IT DOCTRINE, DOCUMENTS. ACADEMIA, ETC.

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by johnydon22(m): 7:24pm On Oct 24, 2017
Meeeeen una get energy shaaa last last
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 7:27pm On Oct 24, 2017
CAPSLOCKED:

ALL MY LIFE,
I'VE NEVER KNOWN A MAN MORE ADDICTED TO LOSING LIKE YOU.
YOU'RE MORE THAN ADDICTED, LOSING IS IN YOUR DNA.
YOU SAY EVERYTHING WRONGLY AND DON'T EVER GET ANYTHING RIGHT.
YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE THE MOST FLAWED, AND I THINK YOU'RE THE DUMBEST IN THE LAND.
I USED TO THINK YOU'RE THE JOKER TYPE BUT I GOT TO LATER FIND OUT, THAT THIS IS THE REAL YOU.

YOUR SLAVE ANCESTORS ARE UNIMPRESSED. undecided

Why am I not surprised? When the entire purpose of the thread has been blown through the roof by my very first post and shown to be a ridiculous thread the next line of attack is ad hominems. grin

Still does not change my post and the fact that atheism by whatever form it was arrived at was through indoctrination in that area.

Now that you have said your much beloved ad hominem can you now stop disrupting.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 7:29pm On Oct 24, 2017
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by chemystery: 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Kindly stop disrupting.

It is not by posting images

Also see synonyms and the definition labelled archaic.

4 Likes

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 7:33pm On Oct 24, 2017
chemystery:

It is not by posting images?

Also see synonyms and the definition labelled archaic.

Please stop disrupting.

indoctrinate [ in-dok-truh-neyt ]
Main Entry: indoctrinate
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: brainwash
Synonyms: break down, convince, drill, ground, imbue, implant, inculcate, influence, initiate, instill, instruct, plant, program, school, teach, train, work over

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/indoctrinate

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by Dalam0n: 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

I have responded to both you and chemystery above. You can stop disrupting now. ANYTHING THOUGHT IS INDOCTRINATION BE IT DOCTRINE, DOCUMENTS. ACADEMIA, ETC.

You did not respond to anything. Even the document you posted clearly said that was the OLD definition of indoctrination. It Cleary said that from the 19th century the definition of the word had changed.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by budaatum: 7:36pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You are deceiving yourself. Please make sure you read the definition of Indoctrination. It does not simply mean, "to teach"!

‘Now, what I want is, Facts.  Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts.  Facts alone are wanted in life.  Plant nothing else, and root out everything else.  You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them.  This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children.  Stick to Facts, sir!’ Hard Times, by Charles Dickens
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by Dalam0n: 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Please stop disrupting.

Synonyms: break down, convince, drill, ground, imbue, implant, inculcate, influence, initiate, instill, instruct, plant, program, school, teach, train, work over

But this one defines it as brainwash, so where does that leave you na?

2 Likes

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2017
Dalam0n:

You did not respond to anything. Even the document you posted clearly said that was the OLD definition of indoctrination. It Cleary said that from the 19th century the definition of the word had changed.

Jackbizzle I believe you invited me to this debate and not all this disturbance. If you wish to condone this nonsense then I will leave.

If anyone cannot understand a simple post and wishes to just troll in ignorance then dalaman stop distracting me with your obvious ignorance.
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by chemystery: 7:38pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Please stop disrupting.

It's evident you can't take up an argument without bring in lies and insincerity.
Teach is synonym for indoctrinate but not the nearest in meaning just like kill is synonym of assassinate but not nearest in meaning.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by Dalam0n: 7:38pm On Oct 24, 2017
budaatum:

You are deceiving yourself. Please make sure you read the definition of Indoctrination. It does not simply mean, "to teach"!

‘Now, what I want is, Facts.  Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts.  Facts alone are wanted in life.  Plant nothing else, and root out everything else.  You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them.  This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children.  Stick to Facts, sir!’ Hard Times, by Charles Dickens

He gave a dictionary definition that defines it as brainwash yet he is still shouting to teach. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 7:39pm On Oct 24, 2017
Dalam0n:

But this one defines it as brainwash, so where do that leave you na?

I believe you know what a synonym means and you saw chemystery when he mentioned synonym and you can clearly see TEACH in my synonym.

Please for the last time stop disrupting.
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by chemystery: 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2017
Dalam0n:

But this one defines it as brainwash, so where do that leave you na?
I told JackBizzle there is no need inviting butterflyl1on for a debate. I have always known him as one who roots his debates on insincerity and builds it off from there. You just have to correct him from the roots else you end up clutching on straws with him

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by butterflyl1on: 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2017
chemystery:
It's evident you can't take up an argument without bring in lies and insincerity.
Teach is synonym for indoctrinate but not the nearest in meaning just like kill is synonym of assassinate but not nearest in meaning.

Of course another ad hominem attack when an argument is already lost.

To school means to teach. Doc in inDOCtrinate means TO TEACH. indoctrinate was derived from Latin and it's Latin source means TO TEACH.
Re: Atheism VS Christianity, Which One Is A Result Of Indoctrination? by Dalam0n: 7:43pm On Oct 24, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Jackbizzle I believe you invited me to this debate and not all this disturbance. If you wish to condone this nonsense then I will leave.

If anyone cannot understand a simple post and wishes to just troll in ignorance then dalaman stop distracting me with your obvious ignorance.

Hurry up and leave! If you want to debate honestly then do so. If you want to engage in dishonesty then pack your kaya and get the hell out. Nobody wants your dishonest noise.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Why Christians/Muslims Get Offended By Atheists / Why Does God Not Heal/help Like He Promised? / What Is Yuletide, And What Does It Have To Do With Christmas?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.