Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:45 AM

Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion (16663 Views)

Sanusi’s N250m Property: Kano Gov’t Demands Monarch’s Acct No For N4.5M Payment / Ganduje Seizes Emir Sanusi’s N250m Land, Pays N4.5m Compensation- Daily Nigerian / Tomato Seller Claims N250m Balogun Market ‘loot’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by activistjohnny(m): 10:01am On Oct 25, 2017
The Governor of Osun, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, has described the situation where operators of Universities in Nigeria rely on subvention from the owners and burden students with humongous tuition fees as intellectual laziness.
The Governor observed this at the formal opening of the access road to the University of Osun (UNIOSUN), at the entrance to the university in Osogbo.
‎He held that Nigerian universities should adopt world best practices where schools‎ raise funds through endowments, grants and donations from the larger society, which is the primary beneficiary of university education.
‎The Chancellor of UNIOSUN, Chief Mrs Folorunso Alakija was said to have assisted the university with the sum N250 million, which was the exact amount they needed to complete the road project.
‎Aregbesola averred that university funding anywhere in the world is capital intensive and requires helps from philanthropist like Mrs Alakija to boost education system.
He commended Mrs Alakija’s gesture, ‎ saying it is a refreshing perspective on funding for education, particularly the university, which requires a huge financial outlay.
Aregbesola said: “Universities require a large amount for capital projects and not less sum for recurrent expenditure.
“In our intellectually lazy (or idea challenged) environment, the line of least resistance has largely been followed – which is to rely on subvention from the owners and burden the students with humongous tuition fees.
“But the best practices, as we see from other climes, are to raise funds through endowments, grants and donations from the larger society, which is the primary beneficiary of university education anyway.
“Universities also generate revenues through patents, royalties and other intellectual property materials.
“This is why there is a huge gap between per capita spending on students by the Euro-American universities, compared to our own.”
The governor commended UNIOSUN for being on this same path of operating within the framework of intentional standard of running a tertiary institution.
He stated that the university has been self-subsisting for some time now as government has stopped giving any subvention to it.
He added that universities all over the country must wake up to the economic realities of the present time and be creative in sourcing funds to ‎run their institutions.
He also called on other people of good will to emulate the good gesture of Mrs Alakija by contributing to the growth and development of education in the state and country at large.
He equally tasked alumni of the educational institutions in Osun who have education background, to ‎support students of elementary and middle schools in the state as their own contributions to education development.
He continued: “The university has been responsible for generating its own revenue, even when we asked it to review tuition fees downward.
“In light of dwindling revenue and rising cost, universities must be creative in sourcing for funds. The burden of funding education should be spread in the society.
“There are thousands of people who will gladly give money, build roads, donate buildings, endow chairs in the name of a cause, a relation etc. and do many more for education.
In light of this, I must add that contribution is not limited to giving money.
“There are many alumni of our primary and secondary schools who have education background; they should support our students in basic education.
“All they need to do is to volunteer to teach in any of our elementary and middle schools for one hour in a day in English, Mathematics and the Sciences. We need them as volunteers.
“I am therefore commending Dr Alakija for her kind gesture in helping the university to construct this road and for her other interventions in the institution.
“She has etched her name in history and a grateful state, government and people will not forget her good deeds.‎”
In her remarks, the donor, Mrs Alakija, attributed the gesture towards the construction of the university’s access road to her immeasurable passion for education.
She lamented on deplorable state of the nation’s education system, saying it is lamentable and disheartening that no Nigerian University made the list of the first 1000 universities in the world.
According to her: “The education system in Nigeria presently needs urgent assistance and unless there is a major overhaul, the future of the next generation of Nigerians will be bleak.
“As we all know, education is very important for sustaining and developing people. With it, people acquire wisdom and knowledge. They build confidence and develop the ability to fend for themselves from what they have learnt.
“It is also both an instrument of stability and of change; stability in the sense that good traditions are documented, taught, imbibed and practiced; change because it prepares and equips people to meet new challenges. In the same vein, education is a tool for inculcating moral values in the citizens.
“‎The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) Sustainable Development Agenda has identified 17 Global goals, which every nation of the world must strive to accomplish by 2030.
“The 4th goal which is quality education, requires that inclusive and equitable quality education which promote lifelong learning opportunities be made available to all.
“Education is a vision my family and I do not take lightly. This is evidenced by the support we continue to give to students through our Rose of Sharon Foundation where almost 1,500 students benefit from our scholarship program up to university level and the same spirit of which also drove the completion of this project.
While calling on all to support education in the country, Alakija said the attainment of qualitative education will require all of us to pull resources together to make the difference the system so desperately needs.
‎In his welcome address, the Vice Chancellor of the University, Professor Labode Popoola, applauded the philanthropic gestures of the donor, Dr. (Mrs) Folorunso Alakija, describing her as a seasoned philanthropist.
Professor Popoola recalled the steps taken by the management of the institution at constructing an access road to the university’s main campus, saying that the vision led the management of the institution to extend hands of help to the Chancellor.
‎According to him: “One of my first major activities on assumption of duties was a meeting to renegotiate the contract for the construction of this road. I bless the day, 22 March, 2017 when I led my Management Team to our Chancellor, Dr. (Mrs) Folorunso Alakija, in her Lagos Office as part of the preparation towards the 6th Convocation of our University.
“In my briefing, I lamented the state of the access road to our university and the challenge to raise the sum of N250 million to complete the road project
“But three days after the visit, we received the alert of the sum of two hundred and fifty million naira from the school chancellor and for this reason, the chancellor deserves our accolade.
“She is always there for us, her unparalleled benevolence for the completion of this road project is highly commendable. Her unending passion to positively impact humanity is an inspiration for us as an institution.

The Chairman Governing Council of the University and Pro-Chancellor, Mallam Yusuf Ali, also commended the donor, Mrs Alakija, for being passionate about the plights of the institution.
He disclosed that the institution only paid N100 million out of N350 million‎ spent for the construction of the access road.
Mallam Ali however called on well-meaning Nigerians to see the need for supporting education by imbibing the philanthropic life style that could help to advance quality, qualitative and sound education in the country.
“Government alone cannot bear the cost of financing education. Those who run institutions of higher learning should put on their thinking cap and be creative in sourcing for funds to develop these institutions.
“Also, an individual, whom God has materially endowed has shown by the example of our Chancellor, Dr. Folorunso Alakija, could make a lot of difference.
Where the managers of our resources act honestly, transparently and without corruption, men and women of goodwill who are endowed will be more readily disposed to help fund our educational system.‎”

SOURCE:http://www.pressnewsng.com.ng/2017/10/osun-commissions-university-roadas.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by activistjohnny(m): 10:05am On Oct 25, 2017
i really appreciate the great and work of the chancellor of the school. she has done well in completing this gigantic projects.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by veraponpo(m): 10:07am On Oct 25, 2017
God bless you ma

God bless Osun State

God bless Nigeria

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by tabisegroup(m): 11:19am On Oct 25, 2017
I'm cuming
Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by TheMainMan: 11:19am On Oct 25, 2017
aregbesola started well and he is ending well.....

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by BadBlaize(m): 11:20am On Oct 25, 2017
littles things attracts the so called big people in Nigeria..

Imagine the 3rd Richest black woman in the world going to commission ordinary road..

Nigeria sorry for you

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by soleexx(m): 11:20am On Oct 25, 2017
Mammi

1 Like

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by Touchey: 11:20am On Oct 25, 2017
God this woman does not have two heads na
How far
Abeg me too want to make big big donations sad

1 Like

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by enemyofprogress: 11:21am On Oct 25, 2017
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

2 Likes

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by guccikhay(m): 11:21am On Oct 25, 2017
Osun making positive headlines lately. His counter part in Ekiti is busy clowning all over the country.
Wherever we ask for what he's doing, they'll come again to show us the same flyover he started in his first year in office three years ago cheesy

And thereafter give two civil servants 700k cars so as for the rest workers to think he's a good person even when they're dying of hunger.

Another useless mofo is kogi state governor. That gay Nigga will suffer at the end of his life.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by BadBlaize(m): 11:21am On Oct 25, 2017
tabisegroup:
I'm cuming
you dey on top somtin or somtin dey ontop you?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by ibkgab001: 11:22am On Oct 25, 2017
This man no happy to cut the ribbon

1 Like

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by kay29000(m): 11:22am On Oct 25, 2017
Cool.
Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by Strongbest(m): 11:23am On Oct 25, 2017
That is some cool cash. A very nice gesture from her.

I am very hopeful Ogbeni will adopt my program soon.

www.nairaland.com/1798724/
Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by ibkgab001: 11:23am On Oct 25, 2017
kay29000:
Cool.

Hot
Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by ibkgab001: 11:24am On Oct 25, 2017
Strongbest:
That is some cool cash. A very nice gesture from her.

250 Million is Nothing to her only and only if you don't know her source of wealth

Nah she get OML150 as a gift from babangida

And she donated OBO450 to babangida in 1990S

2 Likes

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by datopaper(m): 11:25am On Oct 25, 2017
This is real thing, our rich and everybody should copy. Universities do not need to create financial problems for students. They should go out and solicit for donations from individual.

God bless my country Nigeria and its people Amin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by tabisegroup(m): 11:26am On Oct 25, 2017
BadBlaize:

you dey on top somtin or somtin dey ontop you?
Both grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by Strongbest(m): 11:27am On Oct 25, 2017
ibkgab001:

250 Million is Nothing to her only and only if you don't know her source of wealth

Nah she get OML150 as a gift from babangida

And she donated OBO450 to babangida in 1990S

I understand but she gave the exact amount needed for the project, according to the report. I am very sure if more was needed she would have still done so. So, to me she has done very well enough.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by intruxive(m): 11:27am On Oct 25, 2017
Wow!
Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by pheesayor(m): 11:28am On Oct 25, 2017
Where are salary checkers to bash Aregbe?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by Strongbest(m): 11:32am On Oct 25, 2017
pheesayor:
Where are salary checkers to bash Aregbe?

Honestly, Aregbe has tried for Osun State.
In term of infrastructure, we just have to give it to him. I am not a supporter of any party but the truth must be told.

I doubt any past governor of that state has done anything close to what the guy has done.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by darlingjoylyn(f): 11:38am On Oct 25, 2017
Osun state is damn lucky!

To become the next #alakija hit the link on on signature.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by aooo(m): 11:38am On Oct 25, 2017
tabisegroup:
I'm cuming

Pardin!!!
Themainman, miano watch ur head oo. Someone is about to cum

1 Like

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by kayzat: 11:44am On Oct 25, 2017
Strongbest:

I understand but she gave the exact amount needed for the project, according to the report. I am very sure if more was needed she would have still done so. So, to me she has done very well enough.

Don't mind that thing jare. He's talking as if the woman is the only oil block owner around and besides the road construction is not her only contribution/intervention in the university.

kudos to her.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by Yampotatocarrot(m): 11:45am On Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't c d picture of d road... But good job,ma

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by Tboy1419: 11:46am On Oct 25, 2017
Is she not the same woman that was awarded an oil block by babangida several years ago. The same money she is using to do road, as if she work hard for the money her self, yeye they smell
Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 25, 2017
Strongbest:

Honestly, Aregbe has tried for Osun State.
In term of infrastructure, we just have to give it to him. I am not a supporter of any party but the truth must be told.

I doubt any past governor of that state has done anything close to what the guy has done.

ipob miscreants and their appendage salamrushdie would soon call for your head
expect them soon

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Commissions University Road As Alakija Donates N250m To Project Completion by Prinzyy: 11:48am On Oct 25, 2017
Nice one from our I D P state.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Give Us Our Own $1 Billion Or ... - Niger Delta Militants Tells FG / PDP Tells Buhari He Has Handed The Presidential Villa To Illegal Occupants / FG Approves $1.5bn For Rehabilitation Of Port Harcourt Refinery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.