Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,390 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel (12992 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Should Not Overload Your Vehicle / Vilnius Mayor Crushes Benz With An 8Wheel Armoured Vehicle For Parking Illegally / How To Survive If Your Vehicle Is Sinking Into A River Or Sea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by deturla: 3:57pm On Oct 25, 2017
If you’re planning a longer drive, it’s best to have your car properly prepared, but anybody can sometimes feel lost about what needs one’s attention. Leaving for a trip with an unreliable car can cause many problems. No one likes to have to deal with car repairs on holiday, and some malfunctions can even cause accidents. You know what they say – better safe than sorry! If you feel at a loss as to what services you need to ask your mechanic for, here is a handy guide.

1. Check the oil and other lubricants

Engine oil is basically the lifeblood of your car. It keeps your engine running by providing the necessary lubrication, and because it gets dirty after some 10 to 15 thousand kilometres, it needs to be changed regularly. Other parts of your car that also use oil lubrication are brakes, transmission, and differential. If you’re not sure about what brand to buy, always choose a reliable manufacturer, like Castrol for guaranteed quality. High-quality oils will prolong the life of your engine by minimizing the wear.

2. Check tires and the spare

A flat tire can land anywhere from “annoying” to straight up “dangerous” on the negative experience scale. Always have your tire repair service check what the optimal pressure is for your tires, measure it with a gauge, and modify as necessary. Most manufacturers have different tire pressure recommendations depending on the load the car will be carrying. Wrong pressure can lead to a blowout, which is definitely not something you want to experience on the open road. Have your tread looked at as well – driving on bald tires is a bad, bad idea. Low-tread tires have a much higher probability of hydroplaning. Besides, bald tires are illegal too and could get you stuck with a big, nasty ticket. Have your mechanic look at the state of your spare, and have all the tools ready in the trunk.

3. Have a thorough inspection

Everyone should have a good, reliable mechanic who isn’t just looking to take the shirt off your back. Because, frankly, most of us don’t care about all the minutiae of how cars work. Have a little diary of what repairs and check-ups they did, and when. Especially pay attention to when they changed your air, oil and A/C filters. All of these are commonly replaced every 10.000 kilometres or so. Also, regularly check your brakes to see if the pads or any other parts need replacing. Even if you have the most thorough mechanic in the world, they might not notice every single glitch, which is why it’s important to turn off the radio every once in a while, and really listen and feel your car. If you notice anything unusual, you can alert your mechanic to the problem and it will be much easier for them to identify and fix it.

Don’t leave stuff for last minute. If you need to have any serious repairs done, get them out of the way a few weeks in advance. That way you will have enough time to notice if there are any related issues. Even if you don’t know much about cars, always keep up to date with your check-ups. By keeping your car in perfect order, you are doing tons for your safety and minimizing the chances of being left stranded by the side of the road. Regular preventative measures will allow you to enjoy your trip without worrying. If you find it hard to keep up with what needs to be done and when, it might be best to work out a schedule with your mechanic.

http://deedeesblog.com/how-to-prepare-your-vehicle-for-travel/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Olesekeniwoye(m): 5:35pm On Oct 25, 2017
Inform your village people first

17 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by 9jvirgin(m): 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2017
You cannot prepare a vehicle for any trip in Nigeria. An unexpected event can lead to chains of reactions that will change the life of your car forever.

4 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by oyetunder(m): 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2017
very good
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by wonlasewonimi: 5:37pm On Oct 25, 2017
Olesekeniwoye:

Do you have their email address?

7 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Olesekeniwoye(m): 5:38pm On Oct 25, 2017
wonlasewonimi:

Do you have their email address?
My village people and your village people no be mates undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 25, 2017
Educative And Informative cool
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by bettercreature(m): 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2017
Trust is the most important grin grin grin grin grin
You are in trouble if your car can not be trusted

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by KingTom(m): 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2017
Olesekeniwoye:
It would be safer if you don't inform them. grin

Nice points OP. Sometimes when you're on the road, you see disasters waiting to happen.
Trucks with one tyre.
Overloaded buses tilting one way.
Overloaded trailers diving into potholes and drifting dangerously to one side.
Patched expired tyres, a disaster waiting to happen.
Dull and dirty headlamps and lights or complete absence of both.
Okada men competing with speeding vehicles.

And many others.
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Dekmankind(m): 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2017
Please install a TRACKER on the vehicle. Call 08092601833

3 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by sonnie10: 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2017
Also check coolant and brakes.

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by genius43(m): 5:40pm On Oct 25, 2017
Olesekeniwoye:

Lol

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by zmar(m): 5:41pm On Oct 25, 2017
oyetunder:
very good
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by agarawu23(m): 5:44pm On Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that doesn't stop your car from developing fault while on the road.
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 25, 2017
Olesekeniwoye:

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!
Is it not better they don't know?.

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by asumo12: 5:48pm On Oct 25, 2017
Olesekeniwoye:

That what exactly?

undecided
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Olesekeniwoye(m): 5:51pm On Oct 25, 2017
thornapple:

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!
Is it not better they don't know?.
asumo12:

That what exactly?

undecided

Let them know you are coming na grin
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Onbelivable(m): 6:00pm On Oct 25, 2017
Ok
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by urvillagepeoplee(m): 6:02pm On Oct 25, 2017
Olesekeniwoye:
if we bite u now people will say we are bad.

3 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by odehaj: 6:17pm On Oct 25, 2017
Olesekeniwoye:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Jointhemiltons2(m): 6:35pm On Oct 25, 2017
sonnie10:
Also check coolant and brakes.
I think dz is even the most important.
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by ChiefSweetus: 6:42pm On Oct 25, 2017
Terrible thread.
Suggested:
1. Change oil & filter if necessary
2. Check coolant & radiator for leaks
3. Check tyres & pressure
4. Check serpentine belt & keep spare
5. Wheel balancing & alignment
6. Inspect brake pads, shock absorbers, ball joints & shaft
7. Ensure air filter, spark plugs & injector are in good shape
8. Make sure headlights are in perfect working condition
9. Confirm transmission fluid & function
10. Renew all licence documentation & insurance

Hope for the best because mechanic and electrical systems are unpredictable.

Also try not to go beyond 100km/h.

6 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 25, 2017
Olesekeniwoye:

Let them know you are coming na grin
Then they could make sure you never reach your destination. grin grin
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 25, 2017
ChiefSweetus:
Terrible thread.
Suggested:
1. Change oil & filter if necessary
2. Check coolant & radiator for leaks
3. Check tyres & pressure
4. Check serpentine belt & keep spare
5. Wheel balancing & alignment
6. Inspect brake pads, shock absorbers, ball joints & shaft
7. Ensure air filter, spark plugs & injector are in good shape
8. Make sure headlights are in perfect working condition
9. Confirm transmission fluid & function
10. Renew all licence documentation & insurance

Hope for the best because mechanic and electrical systems are unpredictable.

Also try not to go beyond 100km/h.

you've said it all.
11. Keep cash for Police, VIO, FRSC and others just in case. Heard the Police even carry POS machines nowadays.

3 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by heendrix(m): 7:25pm On Oct 25, 2017
urvillagepeoplee:
if we bite u now people will say we are bad.

Lol he reach that one
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by 3kay945(m): 7:50pm On Oct 25, 2017
Make damn sure your temperature gauge is working. My radiator got leaked while cruising at 80km/hr and listening to DMX cool. The fun was cut short when my brake started vibrating, immediately I knew I have overheating problem.
Thank God it happened close to motorpark lipsrsealed
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 25, 2017
3kay945:
Make damn sure your temperature gauge is working. My radiator got leaked while cruising at 80km/hr and listening to DMX cool. The fun was cut short when my brake started vibrating, immediately I knew I have overheating problem.
Thank God it happened close to motorpark lipsrsealed

Wow, I had to login because of your post.
So, you listen to DMX too.
I'm a die hard fan of DMX. I can't drive without rocking DMX.

I don't know that there are still people in Nigeria who still rock DMX. I thought I was a lone wolf in the wilderness.

I'm Ryder4Life!

#RuffRyders

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by 3kay945(m): 8:14pm On Oct 25, 2017
Cretaceous:

I don't know that there are still people in Nigeria who still rock DMX. I thought I was a lone wolf in the wilderness.

I'm Ryder4Life!

#RuffRyders

You are not the only one in the wilderness bro. grin
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by sholajigga(m): 9:01pm On Oct 25, 2017
Cretaceous:

I'm Ryder4Life!

#RuffRyders

Meself dey the game with you.
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 25, 2017
sholajigga:

Meself dey the game with you.
Yo... ma dawg.. What's your most favorite DMX song?
Re: How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 25, 2017
3kay945:

You are not the only one in the wilderness bro. grin
lol okay nice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aston Martin To Make 28 Replicas Of DB5 Driven By James Bond In Goldfinger Movie / Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. / Meet Rivian All-electric SUV That Boasts A Better Mileage Than Tesla's Model X

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.