Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,705 members, 7,802,100 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:12 AM

Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience (345812 Views)

Former Erosion Site Transformed Into A Green Park In Uyo (Before & After Photos) / B1/B2 Change Of Status To F1 / B1/B2 Change Of Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (110) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 8:19pm On Nov 10, 2017
How do you prove the marriage is genuine and not for immigration benefit?
According to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website (USCIS), these are the evidences as listed on FORM I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

[b]
NOTE: In addition to the required documentation listed above, you should submit one or more of the following types of documentation that may prove you have a bona fide marriage:
(1) Documentation showing joint ownership of property;
(2) A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence, meaning you both live at the same address together;
(3) Documentation showing that you and your spouse have combined your financial resources;
(4) Birth certificates of children born to you and your spouse together;
(5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. Each affidavit must contain the full name and address of the person making the affidavit; date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit; and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage; or
(6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

NOTE: You must submit clear and convincing evidence that you and your spouse entered into the marriage in good faith and not for immigration purposes if you married your spouse while your spouse was the subject of an exclusion, deportation, removal, or rescission proceeding (including during the judicial review of any one of these proceedings); or you are a lawful permanent resident that obtained your permanent residence through a prior marriage that was not determined by the death of your spouse and you are filing your petition for your spouse that you were married within five years of obtaining your permanent residence.[/b]

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 8:27pm On Nov 10, 2017
Also, if you are in the course of Adjusting your status, DO NOT rush your application. Take your time to fill out the forms, gather supporting documents and submit your application. Maybe you are on a Visitor’s Visa and you do not want your legal stay to run out before submitting so that you won’t overstay, you need not worry about that. Once you are married to a USC, overstaying isn’t counted against you.

There is something called a 30/60 days rule (or maybe 90). It means that if your application was submitted within 30 and 60days (or 90) of entering the US on a non-immigrant visa, it can be denied based on Misrepresentation (which also goes with Intent I mentioned earlier)

Let's say, you came to the US on a Student visa and withing 2 months, you already submitting application for permanent resident, your Application can be Interpreted as Misrepresentation.

Further reading : http://blog.cyrusmehta.com/2017/09/a-few-suggestions-to-defend-oneself-against-a-misrepresentation-finding-under-the-90-day-rule.html

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 8:34pm On Nov 10, 2017
Another point i want to make. If you find yourself needing to apply for residency in the US, please, ask questions from people who already went through the process, Read about it and make sure your and your USC spouse are on the same page. Don't hide and try to rush the process. it is best to do it right than being denied and having removal proceedings (deportation) against you.

a lot of Non-immigrant (in this context, Nigerians) have made mistakes in the past. This thread is for making sure the right things are done. so people don't keep making the same mistakes over and over.

getting a green card Via adjustment of status isn't as easy as just marring a USC like one would think. Even your USC spouse has to be qualified to file the petition for you.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by NONNYG: 8:37pm On Nov 10, 2017
Ride on OP
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by lionlee216(m): 8:39pm On Nov 10, 2017
You can ask questions on adjustment of status while I till try my best to answer only if OP permits me.

I'm not a lawyer ooooo

Anybody from Connecticut in here?

4 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 8:58pm On Nov 10, 2017
What forms do you need to File for an AOS (adjustment of status)

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (Most important of all)
The filing fee for Form I-130 is $535

Forms I-485 (application to register Permanent resident or adjust status)
https://www.uscis.gov/i-485
Filing fee $1,140. The biometrics services fee (required for all applicants between the ages of 14 and 78) costs an additional $85.

Form I-864 (Affidavit of support).
https://www.uscis.gov/i-864
your spouse must make enough to support you or has someone that makes enough money to support you according to this form https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

filing fee: Free

Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization). This is optional. However, you wanna make sure you are working while the whole process is ongoing as it can take months to years sometimes
https://www.uscis.gov/i-765
The filing fee for Form I-765 is $410 (fee included if you filing or already filed form I-485 so no need to pay for I-765 fee again)

Reference
https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

Una see say e no easy. All that money. chai!!!!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:01pm On Nov 10, 2017
lionlee216:
You can ask questions on adjustment of status while I till try my best to answer only if OP permits me.

I'm not a lawyer ooooo

Anybody from Connecticut in here?

Bro, i have enough questions. I've been thinking about the whole process and i honestly wanna leave to apply for K1 visa (Lady K having a nervous break down with me even mentioning leaving cry cry cry) .

First question, is the interviewing process that serious? what do they ask? Do they interview couples separately?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by lionlee216(m): 9:05pm On Nov 10, 2017
BlowJobs:

Bro, i have enough questions. I've been thinking about the whole process and i honestly wanna leave to apply for K1 visa (Lady K having a nervous break down with me even mentioning leaving cry cry cry) .

First question, is the interviewing process that serious? what do they ask? Do they interview couples separately?

To my best of my understanding, k1 visa is fiancee visa which mandates you to marry your fiancee within 3 months of entering the United state.

So it doesn't make make much sense leaving the US in order to get a K1 visa since you are already in the states and legal

Some see it as interview, i see it as friendly conversations.

You get interviewed together. They ask how you met, how many people attended your wedding, pictures etc. Anything to prove your marriage is legit.
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2017
TheManOfTheYear:
sorry to ask bro.
Have you married LadyK already?
Or you guys are still planning on walking down the aisle

Not yet. Marriage is less than 13 days from now ( on her birthday. she is not aware yet, entirely my plan with her sister+ her dad's support grin grin)

The official date Lady K and I agreed on with the officiating JP is the 29th of Nov grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:11pm On Nov 10, 2017
lionlee216:

To my best of my understanding, k1 visa is fiancee visa which mandates you to marry your fiancee within 3 months of entering the United state.

So it doesn't make make much sense leaving the US in order to get a K1 visa since you are already in the states and legal

Some see it as interview, i see it as friendly conversations.

You get interviewed together. They ask how you met, how many people attended your wedding, pictures etc. Anything to prove your marriage is legit.

really? that simple? D family lawyer dey make us freak out. saying it isn't that easy. You know all these oyinbo ppl no fit handle bad news. Lady K hasn't been able to sleep. she is worried i might need to leave again cry and i feel K1 visa streamline the whole process without the "Intent" question and faster than the other processes.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by lionlee216(m): 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2017
BlowJobs:

really? that simple? D family lawyer dey make us freak out. saying it isn't that easy. You know all these oyinbo ppl no fit handle bad news. Lady K hasn't been able to sleep. she is worried i might need to leave again cry and i feel K1 visa streamline the whole process without the "Intent" question and faster than the other processes.

You don't need K1 visa

Maybe lawyer is trying to confuse you guys so thst you can pay some money.

It's simple and straightforward. You get money to dey dash lawyer when i no do arrangee marriage. Even arrangee pple no dey use lawyer unless dem get second interview notice
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:27pm On Nov 10, 2017
lionlee216:

You don't need K1 visa

Maybe lawyer is trying to confuse you guys so thst you can pay some money.

It's simple and straightforward. You get money to dey dash lawyer when i no do arrangee marriage. Even arrangee pple no dey use lawyer unless dem get second interview notice

THANK YOU!!!!... you have no idea what you just did. I wish i can dash you money for gas for a week.
i tell her say Lawyer dey try job us say make she no worry. as per say na family lawyer, her dad wants to pay her so we won't have to worry about the paperwork. But i don't want to be indebted to her dad.

calling Lady K asap. she no dey sleep well again. cry

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by lionlee216(m): 9:31pm On Nov 10, 2017
BlowJobs:

THANK YOU!!!!... you have no idea what you just did. I wish i can dash you money for gas for a week.

You can dash me nah... grin

You are welcome..

1 Like

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:32pm On Nov 10, 2017
lionlee216:

You can dash me nah... grin

You are welcome..

I'm serious nah. you get Venmo? make i send you something.
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by lionlee216(m): 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2017
BlowJobs:

I'm serious nah. you get Venmo? make i send you something.

Just kidding bro. Also considering that paperworks take along time to be approved. Send your paperworks after wedding immediately. In my own case, we have already filled them before marriage and post date the application. After marriage you send. Some people wait 3 months to send after marriage but it changes nothing
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by YungJo207(m): 9:36pm On Nov 10, 2017
BlowJobs:

i tell her say Lawyer dey try job us say make she no worry. as per say na family lawyer, her dad wants to pay her so we won't have to worry about the paperwork. But i don't want to be indebted to her dad.

We sef go love oo grin
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:39pm On Nov 10, 2017
lionlee216:

Just kidding bro. Also considering that paperworks take along time to be approved. Send your paperworks after wedding immediately. In my own case, we have already filled them before marriage and post date the ap

Lady K filled out everything!!!. (She knew all my details i didn't even know she knew plus my FB password. that girl na white winsh grin.)

all forms filled. Now waiting for the Legal marriage papers.

really bro thank you.. I dey feel like to dash out MTN credit cos of you. Any takers?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by lionlee216(m): 9:39pm On Nov 10, 2017
YungJo207:

We sef go love oo grin

Easier said than done lol.. There is a very thin line between love and hatred.

Oyinbo woman dey tell u i love in the morning fit call police for you in the evening

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by YungJo207(m): 9:43pm On Nov 10, 2017
lionlee216:

Oyinbo woman dey tell u i love in the morning fit call police for you in the evening

Na problem I get with them be that but still love all those Mexican Americans,Jesus, shocked my weak point mostly hearing them speak spanish kiss

1 Like

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:44pm On Nov 10, 2017
lionlee216:

grin grin grin grin grin.

Remember my post about Women to stay away from. People no know say that post is as correct as the Gospel.

I don tell Lady K, tell am several times say i be gentle boy, i no dey find wahalah. If she try me with Police or do nonsense, She go see my naija street guy o grin grin.

Jokes apart, all these oyinbo people sabi form victim. chai!!!. person gatz get brain deal with them

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by lionlee216(m): 9:46pm On Nov 10, 2017
YungJo207:

Na problem I get with them be that but still love all those Mexican Americans,Jesus, shocked my weak point mostly hearing them speak spanish kiss

Those mexicans fine die but they tend to date within their race. Just a personal opinion
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Nig4Greatness: 9:46pm On Nov 10, 2017
Let me lend my own opinion on the subject matter,this may just be an addition to what some peeps have already mentioned.
Concerning status changes....the most effective way is through marriage follow by student visa (if you can afford that since you have to pay as an international students,this after completion may afford you an HB1 depending on your circumstances and later leads to green card).
As for J1,you can't change from bi/b2 to j1 once you are already in the United states,as J1 visas are mostly through sponsors such as research institutes or your institution you work for....even that,it has its own cons and pros but you can NEVER attain green card through JI category ).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:47pm On Nov 10, 2017
YungJo207:

Spanish? hahaha!!!.. you no even find trouble go better place. people dey grab snake by the head, you dey drag its tail. grin grin grin. i sorry for you

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:50pm On Nov 10, 2017
Nig4Greatness:
Let me lend my own opinion on the subject matter,this may just be an addition to what some peeps have already mentioned.
Concerning status changes....the most effective way is through marriage follow by student visa (if you can afford that since you have to pay as an international students,this after completion may afford you an HB1 depending on your circumstances and later leads to green card).
As for J1,you can't change from bi/b2 to j1 once you are already in the United states,as J1 visas are mostly through sponsors such as research institutes or your institution you work for....even that,it has its own cons and pros but you can NEVER attain green card through JI category ).

you're not entirely wrong. but you are wrong about J1 not being able to Adjust status. Like i mentioned earlier on in the thread. J1 visa is the easiest sorta work Visa to get. Most times, it comes with conditions. As long as you are not subjected to the 2 years rule, you can adjust. if you are, you will need a waiver from USCIS applied through department of state

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by lionlee216(m): 9:50pm On Nov 10, 2017
SirRiddy, i see you oo
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by YungJo207(m): 9:51pm On Nov 10, 2017
BlowJobs:

Spanish? hahaha!!!.. you no even find trouble go better place. people dey grab snake by the head, you dey drag its tail. grin grin grin. i sorry for you

The snake can be friendly you know grin I get one babe like that sef she's truly the opposite and love men outside she just the busy type and always scared of heights...you need to hear her speak Spanish mostly when she called mi Amor cool kiss
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by YungJo207(m): 9:52pm On Nov 10, 2017
lionlee216:

Those mexicans fine die but they tend to date within their race. Just a personal opinion

You are a true Christian my brother you are in the siprit with me.
Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 9:55pm On Nov 10, 2017
YungJo207:

The snake can be friendly you know grin I get one babe like that sef she's truly the opposite and love men outside she just the busy type and always scared of heights...you need to hear her speak Spanish mostly when she called mi Amor cool kiss

grin grin grin. Padi, i dated one Spanish babe briefly my first ever time of coming to the US. Her problem high pass Mount Zion and her blood too dey quick hot. Nobody tell me before i form busy grin. but that Spanish tho. e dey sweet to hear am true-true.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Nig4Greatness: 9:58pm On Nov 10, 2017
BlowJobs:

As someone rightly pointed out,you don't need a K1 visa since you are already in the United states.
Also,you don't need any attorney to help you through your filling process cos it's self explanatory except you have some money to dash out.
Let it be known that the purpose of couple interviews is to verify if you have a bona-fide relationship with each other and only you guys and not your lawyers will do that for you.Besides,most interviews are relatively easy (have heard and assisted some friends through this),(it even makes the whole interview easier if there's an evidence of pregnancy or a child is already involved) except if they noticed some red flags which can be just anything and sometimes the interviews are held separately..(so @op be prepared as your case is not that common as well....black man marrying a white lady.but since you guys have been living together for sometimes now according to you,you should be fine but you need to master every details.
All the best.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by BlowJobs: 10:01pm On Nov 10, 2017
Nig4Greatness:
As someone rightly pointed out,you don't need a K1 visa since you are already in the United states.
Also,you don't need any attorney to help you through your filling process cos it's self explanatory except you have some money to dash out.
Let it be known that the purpose of couple interviews is to verify if you have a bona-fide relationship with each other and only you guys and not your lawyers will do that for you.Besides,most interviews are relatively easy (have heard and assisted some friends through this),(it even makes the whole interview easier if there's an evidence of pregnancy or a child is already involved) except if they noticed some red flags which can be just anything and sometimes the interviews are held separately..(so @op be prepared as your case is not that common as well....black man marrying a white lady.but since you guys have been living together for sometimes now according to you,you should be fine but you need to master every details.
All the best.

Thank you Sis/bro. you guys are amazing. I knew opening a thread like this will help.
I am taking note already. making sure all details are covered.
Once again, thank you.

I knew that lawyer wan job us. Make we dash am money like that. $3k just like that. Even when she said she no dey do immigration issues. She wan job naija boy like me, she dey craze?? grin

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by YungJo207(m): 10:01pm On Nov 10, 2017
BlowJobs:

grin grin grin. Padi, i dated one Spanish babe briefly my first ever time of coming to the US. Her problem high pass Mount Zion and her blood too dey quick hot. Nobody tell me before i form busy grin. but that Spanish tho. e dey sweet to hear am true-true.

Well everybody case different for you own case na lady K prayer just dey work wink she must meet you by force by fire so every other babe gat give way..her God is a miracle working GOD for slaping you to her cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience by Nig4Greatness: 10:07pm On Nov 10, 2017
BlowJobs:

you're not entirely wrong. but you are wrong about J1 not being able to Adjust status. Like i mentioned earlier on in the thread. J1 visa is the easiest sorta work Visa to get. Most times, it comes with conditions. As long as you are not subjected to the 2 years rule, you can adjust. if you are, you will need a waiver from USCIS applied through department of state

Every j1 visas come with 2 years rules and you can change that through waivers for sure but the waivers are not automatics..I have a relation in this category..if I start narrating her ordeal while trying to change status ehn,no be small matter my brother and the waiver can be done through your country high commission on the United states.so don't think it's a sure banker.
Besides apart from getting married,your only option as a J1 is to change your status to F1 which most time still requires you to travel back to your home country as this is the law.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (110) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Brazil / Somali Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Africa! / At The NVC Processing Stage Of The U. S Family Based Preference Category.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.