Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:03 AM

The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. (27895 Views)

James Adichie Is Dead! Father Of Chimamanda Adichie Dies / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: 'I Was Happy To Wear Dior Cleavage-Baring Dress' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 27, 2017
moneybag4411:

i know, i know what jealousy can do. pray hard and leave adichie for me ooo. since you re now a renowned writer for ur village shrine

cheesy
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 27, 2017
anibestlala:
To you it is okay for the writer to mock a wife/mother as well as their autistic son just because she doesn't like the political reign of the father.Where then is fairness and humanity. since when did we become so politically blind to become cold hearted monsters?

Either you haven't read the story or you have reading comprehension issues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 27, 2017
safarigirl:
exactly.

I don't care as much for Chimanda's message as I do her method of passing it and I was honestly underwhelmed by the write-up....it was too easy, lacked suspense and I dare say, it had moments of WTF

For instance, the part where Mrs. T innocently asked if Janelle's son got a scholarship, the way Janelle flared up was uncalled for, unprofessional and highly unrealistic to be honest. I've imagined that scene over and over again in my head and I don't see how or why an innocent question would lead to such a reaction if the reactor (Janelle) didn't suffer some level of inferiority complex.

It was highly underwhelming and easily her poorest work

Though poorly crafted, this part actually contains the problem that Adichie tried to highlight and which I think is a problem worth talking about. Maybe we could do it if people actually took the time to read and comprehend, though the former is no guarantee for the latter. grin

This question was not innocent. Such questions never are. Innocently or not, they are based on the prejudice and wrong assertion that Blacks get freebies (scholarships) for simply being black when in fact and more often than not they have to work twice as hard as their white counterparts.

2 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Chrisjordan2015(m): 11:11am On Oct 27, 2017
Sensitivity1254:

Guy park one side. You just exhibit your grass ignorance of US history, achievement'achievements of black Americans and who and what Obama stood for when he was POTUS.

The way Trump refused to rent his apartments to blacks, the same way some Yoruba's dont rent theirs to Igbos and some Igbos dont rent theirs to Yorubas. That does not make them racist.

Can you back up your claim that Trump insulted prominent blacks with a link? Do you know about the group called 'ANTIFA'?? Are you aware that Obama supported them?? Are you aware that they are more deadly than The White Supremacists??

Can you tell us what Blacks (either Black Americans or Africans) gained from Obama's eight years presidency or that of his 'intelligent' wife?

I hold no defense for Trump but dont twist the truth in your bid to suck the ass of Obama whom many Blacks consider as the worst POTUS.

Many thanks for this reply. Some people just think they can argue blindly from a subjectively emotional viewpoint without having the slightest regard for individual rationalism and general objectivity.

2 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by DarkRebel69: 11:16am On Oct 27, 2017
Sheikwonder:

I never fail to admire dexterity in writing when I see it. I like how you write and the vivid adjectives you use to express your thoughts. By the way, Orwell's '1984' is my favorite work of literature till this very day. Genius doesn't even begin to describe his panache and his method and I try to model myself to write like him.

Orwell once said that when writing you should avoid words or phrases which one occasionally sees in print and other media. Basically he says "do away with cliches". So when you pointed out that Adichie's work was "rather gauche and stale, and even the occasionally piquant metaphors could not salvage the sinking ship", I couldn't help but chuckle to myself that she had violated Orwell's cardinal rule of writing.

That said you write really well.... are you a writer by profession or do you do write as a pastime?

A-ha! It's always nice meeting a fellow Orwellian student. Orwell was something of a prophet, don't you think?

Everything that happened in "1984"—doublethink, historical revisionism and negationism, tyranny, censor of thoughts and expression, Government surveillance and invasion of the citizens' privacy, fudging and insincerity cloaked in "political correctness"—are precisely the things that are happening in our world today. Even in this microcosm of reality (Nairaland), the air is distastefully Orwellian (Tyranny of the moderators, who are also wont to delete posts that even vaguely antagonises them.)

"1984" is my second favourite work of fiction . "Animal Farm" remain my all-time favourite. I read it when I was 8, so besides me liking it on its merits, my fondness for it also has a sentimental value.

@emboldened:- It was his number one rule in fact (in "The Politics of the English Language''). Have you read Orwell's "Why I write" and "The day I shot an elephant"?

If you haven't, then I recommend that you do so.

I write as a pastime, and also professionally.

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 27, 2017
Chrisjordan2015:

Many thanks for this reply. Some people just think they can argue blindly from a subjectively emotional viewpoint without having the slightest regard for individual rationalism and general objectivity.

His first paragraph was full of offensive rantings and you accuse others of emotional viewpoints and lack of objectivity? grin

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Chrisjordan2015(m): 11:18am On Oct 27, 2017
Drogbs:
Lmao see this losers whining over the opinion of a woman who doesn't even know about your existence, calling her stupid yet her accomplishments dwarf the entire worth and net value/accomplishments of your family members put together with Jara sef...

Not every conversation must be about money or net worth. Cant people engage in intellectually stimulating criticisms and not being mocked about net worth or accomplishments again?
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 27, 2017
Unbelievable, those who support Chimananda's hit piece really have a hard time facing reality. Do you guys remembet America in the 90's? Do you realize blacks had it better under the Bush presidency than Obama? All of you raining insults on men calling me a sell out need to step outside of your bubble. Can you honestly justify a Nigerian academic writing crap about Mellania and Baron? For real? The 62 million people who voted Trump are racist right? Trump is racist. It is this mentality that has relegated African Americans to The bottom of the food chain. Hispanics have eclipsed AA on that food chain. Asians have likewise eclipse them, 60 years on you still label those who do not adhere to your stupid and sick views racists.

I have seen Trump supporter beaten and bloodied in America by the so called Holy Victimised Liberals. Just month ago a Republican senator was shot by an Obama loving bigot mad Trump won the election. You think because we share the same pigment Nigeria must by default be pro Liberal nutcases. Bush, a redneck president from Texas visited Nigeria TWICE. TWICE. Obama, like the bigot lots flew over Nigeria to GHANA where he gave a speech lambasting Nigeria's human rights records and praising Ghana to the applause of the audience, all because of what? Our anti gay rights agenda?

Under Clinton Liberal America was for the common man. Today they are a bunch of political correct misfits who want to do nothing but smoke weed and cause trouble. Criticize Oprah's Hamburger you are racist. This is the group of people Chimamanda identifies with ? give me a BREAK !!

2 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 27, 2017
Sensitivity1254:

Guy park one side. You just exhibit your grass ignorance of US history, achievement'achievements of black Americans and who and what Obama stood for when he was POTUS.

The way Trump refused to rent his apartments to blacks, the same way some Yoruba's dont rent theirs to Igbos and some Igbos dont rent theirs to Yorubas. That does not make them racist.

One of them is called tribalism, the other racism. None of them makes the other good or better.

Can you back up your claim that Trump insulted prominent blacks with a link? Do you know about the group called 'ANTIFA'?? Are you aware that Obama supported them?? Are you aware that they are more deadly than The White Supremacists??

A black man swallowing and vomitting right wing propaganda. And you wonder why the black man's country are so underdeveloped. Here is the answer.

Can you tell us what Blacks (either Black Americans or Africans) gained from Obama's eight years presidency or that of his 'intelligent' wife?

Simply his rise to power has shown millions of black children that they can get there too. Not enough? Do more! But you are busy defending white supremacy and racism by screaming Antifa and tribalism. Nonsense!

I hold no defense for Trump but dont twist the truth in your bid to suck the ass of Obama whom many Blacks consider as the worst POTUS.

Oh please, you have spewed all the nonsense Trump is feeding his racist supporters with and you want to tell us you hold no defense for Trump?
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 27, 2017
SSBN:
Unbelievable, those who support Chimananda's hit piece really have a hard time facing reality. Do you guys remembet America in the 90's? Do you realize blacks had it better under the Bush presidency than Obama? All of you raining insults on men calling me a sell out need to step outside of your bubble. Can you honestly justify a Nigerian academic writing crap about Mellania and Baron? For real? The 62 million people who voted Trump are racist right? Trump is racist. It is this mentality that has relegated African Americans to The bottom of the food chain. Hispanics have eclipsed AA on that food chain. Asians have likewise eclipse them, 60 years on you still label those who do not adhere to your stupid and sick views racists.

You have been living in the US since the 90s?

I have seen Trump supporter beaten and bloodied in America by the so called Holy Victimised Liberals. Just month ago a Republican senator was shot by an Obama loving bigot mad Trump won the election. You think because we share the same pigment Nigeria must by default be pro Liberal nutcases. Bush, a redneck president from Texas visited Nigeria TWICE. TWICE. Obama, like the bigot lots flew over Nigeria to GHANA where he gave a speech lambasting Nigeria's human rights records and praising Ghana to the applause of the audience, all because of what? Our anti gay rights agenda?

Why don't you mention the crimes committed by the radical right as well? For the sake of objectivity.

Under Clinton Liberal America was for the common man. Today they are a bunch of political correct misfits who want to do nothing but smoke weed and cause trouble. Criticize Oprah's Hamburger you are racist. This is the group of people Chimamanda identifies with ? give me a BREAK !!

What is this one saying? undecided

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by safarigirl(f): 11:26am On Oct 27, 2017
Mindfulness:

Though poorly crafted, this part actually contains the problem that Adichie tried to highlight and which I think is a problem worth talking about. Maybe we could do it if people actually took the time to read and comprehend, though the former is no guarantee for the latter. grin

This question was not innocent. Such questions never are. Innocently or not, they are based on the prejudice and wrong assertion that Blacks get freebies (scholarships) for simply being black when in fact and more often than not they have to work twice as hard as their white counterparts.
I am aware of that prejudice, and while I acknowledge it, my issue is not so much the question, but the reaction.

This prejudice is no different from how Africans think all AAs are trashy, illiterates and make it a point to ask questions that reflect such misgivings

It is the same prejudice that AAs have against Africans that make them think Africans live in huts and are a bunch of barbarians and their questions reflex such ignorance.

Why do black people get so testy when people ask questions that reflect this stereotype when they do the same thing?

Anyway, my issue is with her reaction. Flaring up was uncalled for, went from 0-60 real quick

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 27, 2017
samsam2019:
1st of youre right about the fight for equal right by the African Americans.

But today,the same African Americans are the reason why some people still tag blacks as thugs.

I'm case you don't know, black African immigrants are currently killing it in the USA educational system. If African Americans do half of what African immigrants do they would have earned more respect but they want to sell drugs and be an idiot then blame the system for their failures.

You should ask yourself why a black immigrant from Nigeria would succeed and African Americans fail and rot in jail? Is it a coincidence that the immigrants who have the odds stacked against succeed while African Americans waste away?

See racism will never end from now till the end of time. And if you must know, African Americans are just as racist as the white folks.

I have seen white mother who would deal with her kid if the kid ever made a racist remark. But in my whole life I've never seen an African American woman stop her child from calling white folks crackers or other racist words. In black communities racist worlds towards white and Asians is very common. They laugh over it. But they get over sensitive when a white person do the same

Asians get trolled for their accents, dick size and all but you know how they earned respect? Through education. There is a joke in USA that if you have an Asian friend you don't need a calculator because they faced education.
You couldn't have said it any better bro. Racism occurs at every nook and cranny of this world and African Americans are just as guilty as others yet they keep playing the victim card. Smh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 27, 2017
safarigirl:
I am aware of that prejudice, and while I acknowledge it, my issue is not so much the question, but the reaction.

I agree that the reaction was rather unrealistic. A yoga/pilates personal trainer drops a job opportunity at the WH for the simple reason that someone asked an untoward question? grin

This prejudice is no different from how Africans think all AAs are trashy, illiterates and make it a point to ask questions that reflect such misgivings

It is the same prejudice that AAs have against Africans that make them think Africans live in huts and are a bunch of barbarians and their questions reflex such ignorance.

True but that does not mean that Chimanada or anyone else should stop addressing prejudice.

Why do black people get so testy when people ask questions that reflect this stereotype when they do the same thing?

Now you are throwing everyone in one basket. I do not pigeonhole people based on race but I do get irritated if people do so and I am most grateful people, writers, politicians, teachers, parents are sensitive that it is a problem of which fascism is born.

Anyway, my issue is with her reaction. Flaring up was uncalled for, went from 0-60 real quick

Some people have a hot temper. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by KemjikaEme: 11:37am On Oct 27, 2017
This whole backlash and attacks on Chimamanda is heavly connected to her feminist stand and opinions. A lot of sexist and misogynist Nigerian/African men have deep seated hatred for Chimamanda and were only waiting for the right time to criticize and defame her personality.

2 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by safarigirl(f): 11:41am On Oct 27, 2017
Mindfulness:

I agree that the reaction was rather unrealistic. A yoga/pilates personal trainer drops a job opportunity at the WH for the simple reason that someone asked an untoward question? grin

True but that does not mean that Chimanada or anyone else should stop addressing prejudice.

Now you are throwing everyone in one basket. I do not pigeonhole people based on race but I do get irritated if people do so and I am most grateful people, writers, politicians, teachers, parents are sensitive that it is a problem of which fascism is born.

Some people have a hot temper. grin
anyone with a hot temper doesn't belong in the service industry.

If Chimamanda had written that reaction differently. If the character had simply addressed Mrs. T's gnorance with a calmness that exuded confidence, ot would have read differently. You can address ignorance like a boss and make the other person feel silly. The anger thing didn't achieve the needed result, rather, it reinforced another stereo type of "angry black woman"
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Daeylar(f): 11:42am On Oct 27, 2017
KemjikaEme:
This whole backlash and attacks on Chimamanda is heavly connected to her feminist stand and opinions. A lot of sexist and misogynist Nigerian/African men have deep seated hatred for Chimamanda and were only waiting for the right time to criticize and defame her personality.

You understand them well, I have a feeling this may be the issue, but let me go through the thread and understand better.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by DarkRebel69: 11:45am On Oct 27, 2017
Mindfulness:

I agree, that this is perhaps the only part that's worth talking about. I used the word "stale" in my earlier commentary, because she (Adichie) was unable to treat an over-flogged issue (racist passive-aggressiveness and stereotyping) in a novel way. It was so predictable, so formulaic, so ordinary.

I think I agree with Safarigirl that Janelle's reaction seemed a bit contrived (on a literary level this time around). But again, it had nothing to do with the innocence of Melania's question or lack thereof, nor did it have anything to do with Janelle's choosing to react defensively (almost bordering on paranoia and inferiority complex). It instead has to do with Adichie's unwiedy penmanship ("uncharacteristically unwieldy", I should add).

She (Adichie) failed in setting up an appropriate mood, and so everything else that happened seemed unnatural. (I think the shortness and directness of the micronovel are to be blamed for this.)

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by KemjikaEme: 11:53am On Oct 27, 2017
Daeylar:

You understand them well, I have a feeling this may be the issue, but let me go through the thread and understand better.
I left the thread immediately i saw references to her stand on feminism. Apart from that, there are a number of silly and irrelevant points like how Obama didn't visit Nigeria and how Chimamanda is attacking racism in America instead of paying attention to Nigerian issues and politics.

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Sheikwonder(m): 12:05pm On Oct 27, 2017
DarkRebel69:

A-ha! It's always nice meeting a fellow Orwellian student. Orwell was something of a prophet, don't you think?

Everything that happened in "1984"—doublethink, historical revisionism and negationism, tyranny, censor of thoughts and expression, Government surveillance and invasion of the citizens' privacy, fudging and insincerity cloaked in "political correctness"—are precisely the things that are happening in our world today. Even in this microcosm of reality (Nairaland), the air is distastefully Orwellian (Tyranny of the moderators, who are also wont of deleting posts that even vaguely antagonises them.)

"1984" is my second favourite work of fiction . "Animal Farm" remain my all-time favourite. I read it when I was 8, so besides me liking it on its merits, my fondness for it also has a sentimental value.

@emboldened:- It was his number one rule in fact (in "The Politics of the English Language''). Have you read Orwell's "Why I write" and "The day I shot an elephant"?

If you haven't, then I recommend that you do so.

I write as a pastime, and also professionally.

I don't bother myself much with the mods, nairaland isn't the only avenue where one can express opinions. Regarding Orwell's prescience , well what can I say? His vaticinations about our world today are uncannily close to the truth. Your observations in this regard are spot on. Although Orwell's work intended to make a mockery of the socialist systems prevalent in his day, I'm afraid the same issues apply to capitalist societies today. My battery is dying... continue later...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by buffalowings: 12:11pm On Oct 27, 2017
DarkRebel69:

A screenshot showing the definition of delicacy has been appended to this post. While the word is used to refer to "frailty of health" (those we call “biscuit bones”), it also means "elegance" or "senseness of touch". Have you never heard the word "delicacy" used to describe a work of art?

Let's look at the line again:-

"There was a delicacy about him that reminded Janelle of her son"

The questions you should ask yourself are- "is Janelle's son a retärd? "Was Janelle's son described as being socially awkward?"

The answer is NO. He was described as being intelligent (smart enough to get a scholarship to Harvard), and the word "sensitivity" (aka emotional intelligence) was also used to describe him.

So if Janelle thought Barron reminded her of her son, then it can only mean Barron possessed the warmth and sensitivity of her son.

I'm afraid it is you who needs English lessons. A seasoned reader does not treat words as discrete individual units in a sentence or passage, nor does he interpret them based on their lexical meaning alone. A good reader sees words merely as parts to a bigger puzzle, and then interprets them based on the contextual implications (which you have failed to do).

Hmm OK. I see it more clearly now.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 27, 2017
DarkRebel69:

I agree, that this is perhaps the only part that's worth talking about. I used the word "stale" in my earlier commentary, because she (Adichie) was unable to treat an over-flogged issue (racist passive-aggressiveness and stereotyping) in a novel way. It was so predictable, so formulaic, so ordinary.

Since Americanah, which in my opinions was overrated, the quality of her works has been going south.
I still love her though, Half of a Yellow Sun and The Thing Around Your Neck will forever remain in my collection of favorite books.

I think I agree with Safarigirl that Janelle's reaction seemed a bit contrived (on a literary level this time around). But again, it had nothing to do with the innocence of Melania's question or lack thereof, nor did it have anything to do with Janelle's choosing to react defensively (almost bordering on paranoia and inferiority complex). It instead has to do with Adichie's unwiedy penmanship ("uncharacteristically unwieldy", I should add).

Though I am not a great fan of author-centred readings, Janelle's reaction very much mirrors Adichie's demeanor in a lot of interviews. She is aggressive and hostile where it is inappropriate, often targeting white women, including the innocent ones, which for me borders on paranoia and inferiority complex. I am not sure whether you have already watched the Trevor Noah and Adichie interview on youtube. Trevor approaches the topic differently, builds bridges, mobilizes people opposing racism beyond race and nationality. Adichie is very exclusive to say the least.

She (Adichie) failed in setting up an appropriate mood, and so everything else that happened seemed unnatural. (I think the shortness and directness of the micronovel are to be blamed for this.)

She has the right mood in the beginning, in my opinion. I found the plot and characters boring though, so very predictable. I am very disappointed someone like her would use cliches to address such a complex issue and by doing so, become guilty of what she accuses others of.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by ToyinDipo(m): 12:30pm On Oct 27, 2017
An average African is either tribalistic, xenophobic or discriminating based on cladd. If the tables were to be turned, Africans would probably even be worse than white people.

4 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Ballmer: 12:40pm On Oct 27, 2017
I am not surprised about Adichie, she is born of the tribe of hate. Expecting more from her is being plain stupid.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Khonifer: 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2017
You castigate her for one thing, yet do same. You are angry that she (in your opinion) insulted the first family of the U.S, but you are also insulting her. The funny thing is, her book will definitely get to Trump, and he may choose to ignore, or go with his usual manner of response. But you. Your existence will never be acknowledged by her, talkless your pointless write up.

Cry all you want but she is made. You call her a disgrace to Nigerian women, to her family. Pray tell, are you a Nigerian woman? Abi you are part of her family? Or did they text you on whatsapp that she is a disgrace?

At least she lives abroad. Trump's decisions affect her and her family. Does her book affect you? She should do what for Nigeria? What does she want to do that the millions of people living here cannot do?

Oga please go and drink a cup of tea.

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Daeylar(f): 12:50pm On Oct 27, 2017
KemjikaEme:

I left the thread immediately i saw references to her stand on feminism. Apart from that, there are a number of silly and irrelevant points like how Obama didn't visit Nigeria and how Chimamanda is attacking racism in America instead of paying attention to Nigerian issues and politics.

I just read the piece, I have to say, I don't see the correlation between the OP's post and what Chimamanda actually wrote, maybe I will read both pieces again but I really don't see the correlation, OP's post just came out of left field.

I'm inclined to believe that the reason for this thread is exactly as you said.

In fact I just read the opening post again, I'm leaving with you, there is no correlation between the 2, this isn't a criticism of Chimamanda's micronovel. the op is just angry with Chimamanda, angry with her choices, he wants chimamanda to behave exactly how he wants her to behave, to support exactly what he wants her to support, but since she is doing the opposite. He has resorted to shouting a real African woman up and down,

This is truly disturbing, who does this op think he is to sit down and think he can dictate for another humanbeing what to do? What to think? What to support? The gall of him.

And as usual like the coward the Op's type usually is, he is hiding behind "Nigeria's culture" and "a real African woman"

This OP is disturbed, he truly feels he has the right to dictate to Chimamanda what to do and what not to do.
I wonder if this is as a result of the misogynistic culture we have in this country where some men feel they can do and undo concerning matters relating to women.

You are right, one of the reasons for this thread is because she is a feminist, and 2 the OP's delusion where he feels he can dictate to Chimamanda what she can and cannot do, while conveniently hiding under what "a real African woman will do",

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 27, 2017
safarigirl:
anyone with a hot temper doesn't belong in the service industry.

What is worse, such a person has the code to the nuclear weapons arsenal of the US. grin

If Chimamanda had written that reaction differently. If the character had simply addressed Mrs. T's gnorance with a calmness that exuded confidence, ot would have read differently. You can address ignorance like a boss and make the other person feel silly. The anger thing didn't achieve the needed result, rather, it reinforced another stereo type of "angry black woman"

I wish she would have done a better job of it too.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2017
ToyinDipo:
An average African is either tribalistic, xenophobic or discriminating based on cladd. If the tables were to be turned, Africans would probably even be worse than white people.

Yes, see the post below:

Ballmer:
I am not surprised about Adichie, she is born of the tribe of hate. Expecting more from her is being plain stupid.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2017
Ballmer:
Which tribe is the "tribe of hate"? Are you Yoruba? Do you have Igbo friends? Are they full of hate? Do they hate you?

Tribalism will kill you.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by Daeylar(f): 1:05pm On Oct 27, 2017
ZandhaZaraZ:
Which tribe is the "tribe of hate"? Are you Yoruba? Do you have Igbo friends? Are they full of hate? Do they hate you?

Tribalism will kill you.
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. by luckyogor(m): 1:09pm On Oct 27, 2017
Rosskii:
What a load of garbage. This ignorant, semi-literate attack on Adichie is only something one can see from a white worshipping, brainwashed, Nigerian goat. That is why many black Americans cannot stand Africans. Look at them kissing Trump's assss. Trump that refused to rent his apartments to blacks, that routinely attacks prominent blacks and non-whites. That supports neo-nazi white supremacists! You support him and his dumb wife despite all this, while claiming Obama did not visit Nigeria. What is worse, a president who is a racist hater of blacks or a black president who omitted Nigeria on his Africa trips? Stupid slave.s. And let me tell you this. Black Americans whom you insulted out of your ignorance and stupidity, are the reason you can visit or settle in America today as a black person. Their century long civil rights movement, which saw many of them killed and jailed in protests and agitation for black rights, are the reason YOU can prosper in the USA today, visit and take selfies there without getting lynched by white mobs. Even get high paying jobs there. Dr Martin Luther King Jr. Malcolm X. and many other black Americans GAVE THEIR LIVES for that to happen. Unlike you dumb, colonised African slaves who specialise in skin bleaching and kissing white ass, the black Americans are fighters, who do not tolerate racial injustice, and know they are the equal of any race on earth. So STFU and learn to show respect for their achievements.
So we all should start killing whites isnt it,stfu with ur myopic reasoning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Story: Seduction / House Of Scandals II (18+) / Thousand Free Occult Books For Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.