Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,390 members, 7,800,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics (4458 Views)

Which University/course Can Accept E8 In Mathematics / I Need Help On This JSS3 Mathematics Assignment - (little Bro Wanna Disgrace Me) / 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Nezy4Real(m): 7:58pm On Nov 08, 2017
Kudos to you OP, you are really doing a good job here. Your concept of explanation is incredible i must say. Keep the good work moving!
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 9:51pm On Dec 25, 2017
First and foremost, Merry Xmas to you all.
Secondly and also very important, sorry for 'missing in action' cheesy :Did I abandon this? Did I jump ship? Not at all. When I started the thread, I never knew I would be away for sooooooooo long.

Then, I had to travel to have birthday with my 'grandmum' and that was how I was 'detained'. People wanted me to spend some time with them, and I just couldn't refuse (it's been a while that I went home).

When I came back, that was very late in November, and then I wanted to travel to Lagos for the RCCG's yearly Congress. And you know the preps for the Yuletide. So I have had quite a hectic time.

It has been so hectic that I have not been able to read through the replies. While scanning through, I saw your words of encouragement. Thanks to you all. And that is from the bottom of my heart. I will take my time, read through and then give appropriate response.

So so proud of you all. #AmazingPeople

1 Like

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Ocheinstein(m): 6:48am On Dec 26, 2017
Kudos dear. I am proud of your work. I don't know your level of knowledge in mathematics but I a very sure you are a genius in teaching it. If you need any contribution on any topic, I would be glad to Step in. Gracias señorita
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by IamOlusa(m): 7:41am On Dec 26, 2017
Welcome
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Crizillion1(m): 8:10am On Dec 26, 2017
winsomelady:
Let’s have a look at that bloke called fraction. Remember I wrote 2/1. All integers can be regarded as fraction since 2/1 = 2 and it is a fraction. Addition and subtraction is not as simple or is it as straight forward as it is in ordinary integers mentioned above. Here is a thread which I replied to

To solve this simple Maths problem, let us use an analogy. Using this analogy makes things look more 'reasonable'. Suppose you have an uncle in USA and he gives you $5 and another uncle in UK gives you £12. You want to buy groundnut. The girl that sells groundnut does not care much about your Pounds Strerling or Dollar. What do you do. You need to convert the two currencies to Naira. This is exactly what we are doing. The two 'currencies' above 1/12 and 2/9 are not 'compatible' and we need to make them so. We use a method called LCM. We make the two to be on the same 'scale'
It will be wrong to subtract 2 from 1 and subtract 9 from 12 since they are not on the same scale

Here are the steps:
1. Find the LCM. This makes them compatible. They are now on the same scale. Without finding the LCM, it will be similar to comparing apple to orange

2. Continue with the straight Maths. Here we go

LCM stands for Lowest Common Multiple. In this case, what smallest number that both 9 and 12 will divide without remainder. That number is 26, and that is our LCM

1/12 - 2/9

4 - 8
________ (The LCM is 36
Now, 4-8 = -5 (Using the logic of subtraction above
= -5
_____

how is it 26
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Crizillion1(m): 8:12am On Dec 26, 2017
why not open a whatsapp group?? I even need one for jamb
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Ocheinstein(m): 2:57pm On Dec 26, 2017
Typographical error Sir
Crizillion1:

how is it 26
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Crizillion1(m): 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2017
Ocheinstein:
Typographical error Sir
it's Ntin bro
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 7:25pm On Dec 28, 2017
Crizillion1:

how is it 26
Ocheinstein:
Typographical error Sir
It should have been obvious that it is a typo error. Winsomelady is also a human being. I can make mistakes smiley

1 Like

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 8:31pm On Dec 28, 2017
jhybosky:

yes I now get it..keep it up dear
u are 1daful

Myhighdreams:
nice one girl.

Princeboca12:

Sweetheart, you are doing a nice job. God bless you. I promise to contribute my own quota when needed

christejames:
Great job you are doing there dear... mathematics had been my bane in education but I thank God I'm picking up my pieces in the field of study gradually.

optm:
impressive. keep up d gud wrks

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Your thoughtful comments energise me. I am very proud of you all. Once again, thanks

2 Likes

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 8:37pm On Dec 28, 2017
Linkfield:
WTF! is this elementary mathematics??

Bounces outta thread.
Hey, come down your high horse now. Professors Emeritus start from somewhere. Yeah with the help of others, we intend to REALLY DEMYSTIFY Maths. But we need to start from the basics. The least you can do is to roll up your sleeves and help others. Please help in this project. I will be happy you did
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 8:40pm On Dec 28, 2017
GdexFolami:
You're doing a phenomenal and frabjous job dear ..keep it up thou its been a while I swithly and vehemently worked maths like that but I remember going for cowbell ,Olympiad and MAN mathematics competitions then.
I miss maths .. Farewell maths
Glad to hear you went for those competitions. You certainly are needed here to help out. Why farewell to Maths? And what can I do or say to tempt you to come back? Please we need your knowledge and experience here
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 8:46pm On Dec 28, 2017
christejames:
Great job you are doing there dear... mathematics had been my bane in education but I thank God I'm picking up my pieces in the field of study gradually.
Glad to learn you are picking up. The mistake is hating Maths in the first place, though some of the teachers can make matter really terrible

1 Like

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 8:52pm On Dec 28, 2017
Thukzee01:
Keep it up jhoor.
Will contribute when needed
Oh Gosh. My Goodness. I am certainly elated to hear this. You are very much needed, and it is now. I am already counting on you and IamOlusa to help out on this. I am surely looking forward to working with you. #AmazingTeam.
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 9:25pm On Dec 28, 2017
I sincerely wish I could change the title to MATHS DEMYSTIFIED
Let's quickly review what we have done. We are talking about number system and I said a given number can be represented in different forms. Take the number 4 as example.
1. It can be represented as an integer as 4
2. It can be represented as decimal such as 4.0
3. We also learnt that it can be represented as fraction since 4 = 4/1.
4. 4 = 1002

For those who are not in the know, Maths can seem daunting and 'unreasonable'. How come, you 'rightly' ask, that 4 is also also equal to 100. Of course, 4 will never be equal to 100. Look at it properly. There is a small 2 below the figures 100. That shows it is in what is called base2. Right from the time we started learning how to count, we have been taught in base 10 or denary. Binary is another number system. It can look 'strange' the first time out but it is really very simple and straight forward when you get a hang on it

Don't think it is only denary and binary that are available. There is no base 1, but we have base 3, 4, 5 ...
There are some bases that occur naturally. Take for example our days. That is in base 7, and in the villages and small towns, markets are opened every 5 days. That is in base5.

Next up, we will talk about arithmetic operations in the number bases. Ocheinstein and IamOlusa, I hope to get in touch and see how we can sych our efforts.

God bless

1 Like

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by GdexFolami(m): 12:33am On Dec 29, 2017
winsomelady:

Glad to hear you went for those competitions. You certainly are needed here to help out. Why farewell to Maths? And what can I do or say to temp you to come back? Please we need your knowledge and experience here
lol nothing dear ,the field of study in which I am right now will make me forget I once did maths in my life grin .
Its better to just leg go willingly and take a bow.
Diff times of life for diff concentrations ,I hope you could understand .
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 8:43am On Dec 29, 2017
GdexFolami:
lol nothing dear ,the field of study in which I am right now will make me forget I once did maths in my life grin .
Its better to just leg go willingly and take a bow.
Diff times of life for diff concentrations ,I hope you could understand .
Oh dear I do understand. For anybody that did Cowbell, MAN and others, I always duff my hats for them. I duff my hat for you as well. You can be sure you are well regarded by me.
The important thing is to find fulfilment in life. All the best
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by GdexFolami(m): 6:32pm On Dec 29, 2017
winsomelady:

Oh dear I do understand. For anybody that did Cowbell, MAN and others, I always duff my hats for them. I duff my hat for you as well. You can be sure you are well regarded by me.
The important thing is to find fulfilment in life. All the best
Thank you dear. Amen!!! I wish you all the best too.
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by psalmhorah(m): 8:54pm On Dec 29, 2017
nice thread ..
it is high time I posted my difficult questions here !!
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Ocheinstein(m): 9:53am On Dec 30, 2017
Anytime. I am most available
winsomelady:
I sincerely wish I could change the title to MATHS DEMYSTIFIED
Let's quickly review what we have done. We are talking about number system and I said a given number can be represented in different forms. Take the number 4 as example.
1. It can be represented as an integer as 4
2. It can be represented as decimal such as 4.0
3. We also learnt that it can be represented as fraction since 4 = 4/1.
4. 4 = 1002

For those who are not in the know, Maths can seem daunting and 'unreasonable'. How come, you 'rightly' ask, that 4 is also also equal to 100. Of course, 4 will never be equal to 100. Look at it properly. There is a small 2 below the figures 100. That shows it is in what is called base2. Right from the time we started learning how to count, we have been taught in base 10 or denary. Binary is another number system. It can look 'strange' the first time out but it is really very simple and straight forward when you get a hang on it

Don't think it is only denary and binary that are available. There is no base 1, but we have base 3, 4, 5 ...
There are some bases that occur naturally. Take for example our days. That is in base 7, and in the villages and small towns, markets are opened every 5 days. That is in base5.

Next up, we will talk about arithmetic operations in the number bases. Ocheinstein and IamOlusa, I hope to get in touch and see how we can sych our efforts.

God bless

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by LordeCalifornia: 12:06pm On Dec 30, 2017
@winsomelady
Convert 3/4 to base six

1 Like

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Crizillion1(m): 2:13pm On Dec 30, 2017
winsomelady:

It should have been obvious that it is a typo error. Winsomelady is also a human being. I can make mistakes smiley

we all are �
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Ocheinstein(m): 3:31pm On Dec 31, 2017
If she does it, can u be able to do one for me? #hatermode... Lol
LordeCalifornia:
@winsomelady

Convert 3/4 to base six
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Ocheinstein(m): 3:35pm On Dec 31, 2017
Guys I greet you all. I am standing as the most unlearned member of this family. I stand corrected but it's high time we mathematicians and physicists stop trying to put down others. It's not fair. We are not perfect. When one is trying, we should try to encourage and not test them to see if they can solve something wr think we are geniuses in. I have once been humbled by a very simple question. And except you have passed through my situation, you will never understand the need to be cautious with higher than normal self esteem. I greet y'all
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 11:17pm On Dec 31, 2017
Ocheinstein:
Guys I greet you all. I am standing as the most unlearned member of this family. I stand corrected but it's high time we mathematicians and physicists stop trying to put down others. It's not fair. We are not perfect. When one is trying, we should try to encourage and not test them to see if they can solve something wr think we are geniuses in. I have once been humbled by a very simple question. And except you have passed through my situation, you will never understand the need to be cautious with higher than normal self esteem. I greet y'all
You are such a darling. It is well said. I am not in any way trying to prove anything. By opening this thread, I just wanted to use the avenue to help others. A lot of people would have love Mathematics but they didn't have anybody to help them. Once again, you are really great. You rock.
Ordinarily, I would not have done the really simple Maths problem, but then I will. Once again, thanks for being such a wonderful person. And by the way I wish you a great new year ahead of you

1 Like

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 11:40pm On Dec 31, 2017
LordeCalifornia:
@winsomelady

Convert 3/4 to base six
This is criminally easy

3/4 = X6
By way of explanation, first let's consider a random number 6842(say). To convert to base x, we simply do this:
6 * x4 + 8 * x3 + 4 * x2 + 2 * x1.

Similarly, to convert 0.6842 to base x, we multiply repeatedly by the base until it equals to 0
The first thing we should do is to convert the fraction to its decimal equivalent. Thus, 3/4 = 0.75. As I indicated above, continue multiplying the fractions to the right of decimal point until multiplication is no more possible.

-----
4 5
----
3 0

Iterating from top to buttom (the bolded), we have 0.43
You can see it is dead easy

1 Like

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Ocheinstein(m): 11:42pm On Dec 31, 2017
I have suffered from intellectual bullying before and know one when I see it. It's not fair . Keep on the great work. Happy new year great lady
winsomelady:

You are such a darling. It is well said. I am not in any way trying to prove anything. By opening this thread, I just wanted to use the avenue to help others. A lot of people would have love Mathematics but they didn't have anybody to help them. Once again, you are really great. You rock.
Ordinarily, I would not have done the really simple Maths problem, but then I will. Once again, thanks for being such a wonderful person. And by the way I wish you a great new year ahead of you
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 12:46am On Jan 01, 2018
Happy New Year to everybody. Just came back from church. I pray that good things will come our way this year

1 Like

Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by Matinoh: 1:10am On Jan 01, 2018
keep the good work.. op will you treat topics like Jacobian, Laplace transform, Fourier series, calculus??
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by LordeCalifornia: 11:42pm On Jan 01, 2018
winsomelady:

This is criminally easy

3/4 = X6
By way of explanation, first let's consider a random number 6842(say). To convert to base x, we simply do this:
6 * x4 + 8 * x3 + 4 * x2 + 2 * x1.

Similarly, to convert 0.6842 to base x, we multiply repeatedly by the base until it equals to 0
The first thing we should do is to convert the fraction to its decimal equivalent. Thus, 3/4 = 0.75. As I indicated above, continue multiplying the fractions to the right of decimal point until multiplication is no more possible.

wow!
thank you very much, although, I am a little bit confused in the steps below. I will explain how.

-----
which number did you use to multiply 6 in the expression above?
75 or 0.75? because you arrived at 45 (as your answer), and this threw me a little off balance.

4 5
----
which number did you use to multiply 6 in the new expression above?

Iterating from top to buttom (the bolded), we have 0.43
You can see it is dead easy
I understand this part.

just throw more light on the multiplication, and also, which textbook can one find this kind of number bases conversions? thanks!
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by LordeCalifornia: 11:45pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ocheinstein:
If she does it, can u be able to do one for me? #hatermode... Lol
hi! I'm not good at number bases. I doubt if I'd be able to help you out.
you can post it nonetheless.
Re: Winsomelady Demystifies Mathematics by winsomelady(f): 2:02pm On Jan 02, 2018
Matinoh:
keep the good work.. op will you treat topics like Jacobian, Laplace transform, Fourier series, calculus??
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, I did not plan to include those topics. Those who will be interested in those kinds of topics will not need Maths to be demystified for them. From the way we started, it is from gentle intro to the fundamentals. It is like things are going way high from what I planned. From the viewpoint of availability of time, it may not be feasible. I have been getting offers of assistance from people, and if you are willing, we can see how we can incorporate all those. I will consult with those who offered to help, and if we arrive at the conclution of doing those, we will include them.

Thanks for reading and if you want to help, you are most welcome
Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: Negotiation Today By 3pm / Tragedy, The World's Shortest Man Dies / OMG See The First Football Match Of The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.