Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,702 members, 7,802,092 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. (2836 Views)

Help! Engine Rattle And Check Engine After Fixing Gasket / Please Help!!! Engine Belt Number For Honda Civic 2007 / It's Medically Wrong To Use The AC Just Immediately You Enter Your Hot Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 11:31pm On Oct 26, 2017
Good evening car lovers. I need your help urgently.

I'm currently working on this 2007 Camry v6 that refuses to start.
I already check the fuel pressure ok, spark OK, battery OK and it cranks pretty well but still will not start up (just dies off as soon as it starts).

What could be the cause as it is not throwing any trouble code(s). Thank you.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by honmusa(m): 2:02am On Oct 27, 2017
Check for restriction in intake and exhaust.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 8:18am On Oct 27, 2017
honmusa:
Check for restriction in intake and exhaust.

Can you elaborate please.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by honmusa(m): 12:00pm On Oct 27, 2017
lordmassac:

Can you elaborate please.
Automobile require 4 things to start :
free flow of air,adequate fuel ,good compression and spark that comes at right timing.
Based on the data u provided .
Spark OK,fuel OK and the car is able to start (compression is present ) but dies off (lack of airflow).
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 7:59pm On Oct 27, 2017
honmusa:

Automobile require 4 things to start :
free flow of air,adequate fuel ,good compression and spark that comes at right timing.
Based on the data u provided .
Spark OK,fuel OK and the car is able to start (compression is present ) but dies off (lack of airflow).

Oh! I get. The exhaust is broken right at the joint after the catalytic converter; could that be the cause? Or I should just start from the air intake down to the exhaust.

Another thing I noticed this noon is that the injectors have no pulse. What do you think can cause that? All fuses tested ok?

Thank you.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by cyborg123(m): 9:31pm On Oct 27, 2017
lordmassac:

Oh! I get. The exhaust is broken right at the joint after the catalytic converter; could that be the cause? Or I should just start from the air intake down to the exhaust.

Another thing I noticed this noon is that the injectors have no pulse. What do you think can cause that? All fuses tested ok?

Thank you.
Brainbox is probably shot. Test with another brainbox. Brainbox = ECU.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by honmusa(m): 11:36pm On Oct 27, 2017
lordmassac:

Thank you.
This is not a diy thing .involve a good techie for physical inspection .
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 11:51pm On Oct 27, 2017
cyborg123:

Brainbox is probably shot. Test with another brainbox. Brainbox = ECU.

OK. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 11:58pm On Oct 27, 2017
honmusa:

This is not a diy thing .involve a good techie for physical inspection .

Thanks bro.
I'm a mechanic too. Just trying to Know if I'm leaving something out before directing my attention to the PCM
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by cyborg123(m): 6:53am On Oct 28, 2017
lordmassac:

OK. Thank you.
You are welcome. Ensure the replacement brainbox is of the same part number.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 4:30pm On Oct 28, 2017
cyborg123:
You are welcome. Ensure the replacement brainbox is of the same part number.

Thanks bro. I will.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by Nobody: 6:28pm On Oct 28, 2017
check if your exhaust is blocked
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by davit: 4:09pm On Oct 29, 2017
Check if the immobiliser light flashes when ignition is turned on. If there is no light, then it means immobiliser needs to be changed or checked. Also, check if the CEL comes on when you turn the ignition without starting the car. No CEL means your brain box is broken. All the best.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by easyguy2020: 11:33am On Oct 30, 2017
Check the ignition System .most likely the tranponder immobilizer on the switch and key. When it's faulty, a no start but crank condition happens.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by SpaceAngel: 3:30pm On Oct 30, 2017
had similar issue before, was actually issue with security. The chip on the key was missing. Once i used the spare key, car came on. The injectors were also not pulsing but car cranked.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by torres89: 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2017
ckp or cam sensors
most especially cam sensor
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by 3kay945(m): 9:58pm On Oct 30, 2017
Any update on the car?
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by cardoctor(m): 6:06am On Oct 31, 2017
Sounds like you have an Immobiliser failure issue.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 10:14pm On Jan 04, 2018
3kay945:
Any update on the car?

I'm so sorry I have not been able to update you guys about the car. It is due to one or two factors way beyond my control.

torres89:
ckp or cam sensors

most especially cam sensor

Yes, there was code PO368 And Po356.
PO356 only comes up when you try to accelerate (heavy), you loose power instead. After checking the wiring harness and others, I told the man to let us change the ignition coil "f" and camshaft position sensor but he was not willing until the car refused to start.
In the end I had to do a physical check on the ECU only to find a burnt chip

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 12:18am On Jan 05, 2018
lordmassac:

I'm so sorry I have not been able to update you guys about the car. It is due to one or two factors way beyond my control.

Yes, there was code PO368 And Po356.
PO356 only comes up when you try to accelerate (heavy), you loose power instead. After checking the wiring harness and others, I told the man to let us change the ignition coil "f" and camshaft position sensor but he was not willing until the car refused to start.
In the end I had to do a physical check on the ECU only to find a burnt chip

Knowing fully well that a bad cam sensor or bad ignition coil is not enough to damage the ECU, curiosity sets in. I started looking for faults, loose/peeled wires.
Then I remember the evaporator was changed by another person (I was down with typhoid then so they brought one rewire like that to bring out the dashboard and all the electronics).
To cut it short, they didn't boltdown two or three ground wires for reasons I don't know. Well, the extra trouble was not in vain as I was able to put the heater, mirror control and automatic light back to work (they forgot to plug the wires back).

Still not satisfied with what caused the burnt ECU, I probed further by asking the owner how the exhaust pipe pulled out of position. That was when he told me how he ran the car over a very big stone while driving. The engine ran fine until he stopped to get something at the mall and the car wouldn't start again.

My guess is that the shake up was massive enough to create a kind of surge that caused the burn. But why not the fuse instead? It was a blown fuse that was bridged! Who does that for God sake!? Fuse that cost less than 100 Naira.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by AutoElectNG: 5:57am On Jan 05, 2018
Love the way you work....love to meet you somewhere sometime...your base?

Methodical... painstaking...fixing root causes and not symptoms...wanting to know why and how....not scared to ask for help...I could go on and on...keep it up!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by dapotemi: 7:49am On Jan 05, 2018
I like the way u work bro..Keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by sultaan(m): 8:02pm On Jan 06, 2018
OP

You are like the perfect technician right now, because anytime someone comes up with an issue I always ask the to start from the beginning .

Any initial problem can be the first trigger of a cascade of problems.

I have seen owner ignore the question Looking for a miraculous fix over the internet.

There are ground wires that from exhaust to frame, a damaged wire at exhaust, burn fuse then pcm.

Most when people are changing pcm and other computers they fail to understand if they only think for a minute they will find out they know more they think

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 12:13am On Jan 09, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Love the way you work....love to meet you somewhere sometime...your base?

Methodical... painstaking...fixing root causes and not symptoms...wanting to know why and how....not scared to ask for help...I could go on and on...keep it up!

Thank you bro.
My workshop is not ready yet (as per capital and location et all) so I just travel around when ever and where ever I get a call. I use that traveling opportunity to do my survey, get customers and gather more knowledge when available. I shuttle between Ilorin and Lagos most of the time tho.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your words encouragement

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 12:15am On Jan 09, 2018
dapotemi:
I like the way u work bro..Keep it up.

Thank you.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 12:27am On Jan 09, 2018
sultaan:
OP

You are like the perfect technician right now, because anytime someone comes up with an issue I always ask the to start from the beginning .

Any initial problem can be the first trigger of a cascade of problems.

I have seen owner ignore the question Looking for a miraculous fix over the internet.

There are ground wires that from exhaust to frame, a damaged wire at exhaust, burn fuse then pcm.

Most when people are changing pcm and other computers they fail to understand if they only think for a minute they will find out they know more they think

True words bro. Many just want to get the car running not minding the root cause of the problem initially.
I have seen some driving around with almost all the dashboard lights on (vsc, abs, oillamp, check engine,
Etc). As long as the car is moving.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by davit: 11:03am On Jan 19, 2018
lordmassac:

True words bro. Many just want to get the car running not minding the root cause of the problem initially.
I have seen some driving around with almost all the dashboard lights on (vsc, abs, oillamp, check engine,
Etc). As long as the car is moving.
Lol
You mind if you can help me change my engine thermostat? The temp rises above the nornal line these days and was told might need to change the thermostat.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 1:11pm On Jan 20, 2018
davit:

Lol
You mind if you can help me change my engine thermostat? The temp rises above the nornal line these days and was told might need to change the thermostat.

Before you consider changing the thermostat, have you done a thorough physical check on

Hoses & radiator for leaks
Radiator fan
Serpentine belt (lose, slack or ruptured)
etc
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by davit: 1:23pm On Jan 20, 2018
lordmassac:

Before you consider changing the thermostat, have you done a thorough physical check on

Hoses & radiator for leaks
Radiator fan
Serpentine belt (lose, slack or ruptured)
etc
Thanks for your time. No leak anywhere. Al the belts doing well. The radiator fan works but not sure if it works the way it should.
Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:59pm On Jan 20, 2018
nice work, but no smoke without fire!
I just hope u will be able to be this thorough and clinical wen u have fully established urself. then the focus might change from research to profit, even when u have people under u, will they be this dedicated to root-cause technique? its quite understandable why you would go to such lengths now tho...... more grease to ur elbow and more grace to sustain your and grow ur career!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Engine Cranks But Dies Of Immediately. by lordmassac(m): 12:14am On Mar 17, 2018
obekediamondfuto:
nice work, but no smoke without fire!
I just hope u will be able to be this thorough and clinical wen u have fully established urself. then the focus might change from research to profit, even when u have people under u, will they be this dedicated to root-cause technique? its quite understandable why you would go to such lengths now tho...... more grease to ur elbow and more grace to sustain your and grow ur career!

Thanks. Amen

(1) (Reply)

Lexus Jeep RX300 (2000 Model) Or Toyota Corolla (2003 model Which One Is Better? / Please How Much Does It Cost To Change The Bumper Of A Highlander? / Toyota 4runner VS Corolla.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.