Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon (26805 Views)

Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon / 26-Year-Old Corper Sanni Mariam, Passengers, Driver Die In Imo Road Accident / Mother, 2 Daughters Die In Ogun Accident As SUV Rams Into Stationary Truck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by Islie: 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2017
Posted By: Precious Igbonwelundu

A retired Air Vice Marshal (AVM) and his driver have recovered dead after their Ford Explorer Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) plunged into the lagoon Saturday night.

The incident occurred around 10:55pm, by the University of Lagos (UNILAG) waterfront.

A motorist had told The Nation that: “There was a vehicle inside the lagoon. People are trapped in it. The vehicle was heading into Lagos Island.

Fishermen and LASEMA are trying to safe the occupants of the vehicle now. May God help them.”

The deceased were said to be driving inward Lagos Island, when they colluded with another vehicle on the bridge.

As a result of the accident, the SUV, it was gathered, tumbled several times before skidding into the lagoon.

It was learnt that officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and local fishermen recovered the bodies from the submerged vehicle around 2:30am.

According to a source, they both had their seat belts on and didn’t have physical injuries.

He said: “All the air bags in the vehicle came out. It was a serious accident. The burnet pulled out and the roof was flattened, which indicated that the vehicle might have tumbled at least three times before nosediving.

“The vehicle was over 75 percent submerged into the muddy part of the lagoon. When we brought it out, we had to first raise the flattened vehicle to avoid inflicting injuries on the bodies.

“The GM has been in touch with his family and officers from the Nigerian Air Force. I think the General’s family members are abroad.”

A prominent Lagosian, the AVM, it was gathered retired from the Nigerian Air Force some years ago and had since devoted his time, resources in the real estate sector.

It was learnt that the retired General came into Nigeria last Tuesday from the United Kingdom to attend a burial.

General Manager LASEMA, Adesina Tiamiyu confirmed the incident, but declined further comments on the issue.

He said: “This is a sad incident. I can only tell you that we recovered two bodies. I cannot say who they are because it won’t be fair to the families to learn about the demise of their loved ones from the media.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/retired-driver-plunges-lagoon/
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by auntysimbiat(f): 1:35pm On Oct 29, 2017
too bad
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by OZAOEKPE(f): 1:40pm On Oct 29, 2017
APC cry

RIP to the dead ones cry

3 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by 2lateBiafra: 1:48pm On Oct 29, 2017
Lagos lagoon will never BELEFULL

3 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by amunkita(m): 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2017
Came Into Nigeria Last Tuesday only for him to die that way...
Abeg the British should come back to colonize us again, maybe this time efficient emergency agency, good road network will be delivered to us...

Nigeria nd sad news all the time...

7 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:53pm On Oct 29, 2017
This story get k-leg.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 29, 2017
RIP....

If only Ambode's streetlights work well at night embarassed cry

1 Like

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by ramdris(m): 1:57pm On Oct 29, 2017
All I can say is:

2 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by FarahAideed: 1:59pm On Oct 29, 2017
If only people will Obey the 80kmh speed limit on third mainland bridge

6 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by UbanmeUdie: 1:59pm On Oct 29, 2017
shocked
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by Ishilove: 2:11pm On Oct 29, 2017
God! May we not be marked for death sad

5 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by Atiku2019: 2:14pm On Oct 29, 2017
cry
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by AlanSugar(m): 2:17pm On Oct 29, 2017
Oh no, not again! Rip to the dead.
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by netbeans1(m): 3:14pm On Oct 29, 2017
So sad embarassed

Rip
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2017
Rip to them.
Rip to grammar.

2 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by maxiuc(m): 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2017
angry
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by jamesversion: 3:18pm On Oct 29, 2017
Just imagine, he came home from the UK few days ago to attend a burial and now he's dead... life is cruel.RIP

10 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by Olalan(m): 3:19pm On Oct 29, 2017
RIP to them. Drivers need to be more speed cautious on that bridge, most of the accidents recorded there has been as a result of over speeding.

3 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by RichDad1(m): 3:19pm On Oct 29, 2017
What an unfortunate incident.

2 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by kay29000(m): 3:19pm On Oct 29, 2017
Seat belts can be good and bad too. Maybe if they didn't have their seatbelt on they might have gotten out of the car, or even floated out in an unconscious state and have people perform mouth to mouth on them.
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by ifyalways(f): 3:21pm On Oct 29, 2017
Poor journalism.

Recovered dead, bla bla.

Hard to tell if the victims are dead,sustained injuries or escaped unhurt. undecided
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by personal59: 3:22pm On Oct 29, 2017
Afobear:
Every last Nigerian who says they love everything about Nigeria is why Nigeria is “Nigeria”. Foreigners will definitely not understand the emphasis at a glance, but Nigerians do, no matter what they say.

Before you judge my write-up, keep in mind I’m a Nigerian by birth, upbringing and residence. I interact with Nigerians on a daily basis and I’m not rich folk, so I actually know what goes on in the heart of the country.

Nigerians are full of energy. Yes, we have potential. Lots of it. We have the smartest beings the world has ever seen (I could have been one myself, if I left the country and it’s negativity behind as an infant, no kidding). However limited by religion their thoughts are, the Nigerian society at large still pulls through with wonderful, (but short-lived) creativity.

I’m not exactly sure which of these count as a reason to not like the country and it’s people, so I’ll leave it to the reader. All I’ll do is describe.

Nigerians are aggressive, but never towards causes that make for a better living. A Nigerian can fight to the death to prove he can beat his brother, most times over nothing, but will not even blink if the government decides a whole town will not catch a glimpse of electricity for a year. “Our government is wicked o. We’re angry.” is all they can muster up. Nothing more. Nothing that can change anything.
Nigerians have zero (not exaggerating) maintenance culture. We don’t fix things until they break down completely. We apply paste and glue, then kick the damned thing back to life until we’re sure it can never work again. Then we ‘try’ to fix it, FOREVER.
Nigeria is infested and damaged beyond repair by religion. It’s like religion blocks off the part of our brains that actually evaluates logical input.
Like someone already stated, people do the exact opposite of what their holy books say and have no shame condemning you for not feigning belief as much, first chance they get.
Our countrymen would rather skin and sell a person alive if the church asks that of them. They’d rather pay tithes (in 100%) than buy lunch (which would cost about 0.1% of their tithe) for a stranded fellow.
A mother would rather her kids starve than miss a church event. Hence, ‘serving God’.
Best part yet, anything that requires a positive action is met with a moronic “do your best and leave the rest to God”, “it’s all part of God’s plan” and “pray about it”.
By the way, I’m still a Christian, at the time of writing this post and I know just about how many Nigerians would spit at this section for the raw truth in it.
Almost every situation is casual to Nigerians. Nothing, no matter how bizzare is alarming. It’s like we’re so used to shitty situations we accept just about anything. So there used to be free water supply down the street and suddenly it’s being sold? “Hmm. Na wa o.” is all, and everyone adjusts to it and moves on. Nobody goes “No! This is bullshit and we’re not having it!” Not one person. And if there ever was that one guy, absence of unity would drive the ones who are supposed to support him to actually confront him: “Na wa to you sef o. Shey na because of common water you charge like this?” The end.
The worst part yet, Nigerians will never unify to fight a common cause. “The enemy of my enemy is my ally” just doesn’t work on us. Grown men (and sadly, kids) will follow a politician, pick up arms and engage in lethal violence against their neighbours, and in the end, what do they get? A few thousand naira notes and their constant state of poverty back.
Nigerians are cheap. Kill their sons and buy a few bags of rice for their community and no one will ever speak of it again. When a few cups of rice hits a few homes, the gore is completely buried.
Any law enforcement officer can harass, mutilate or even kill a civilian and it ends in pity. “Ah! Na army man o” and everyone cowers in fear. Justice and rights end on the 9 o’clock news. None of those human rights apply on the streets. Nobody gives a poo if you’re wrong

Oga Wetin happen? this your comment plenty pass the news

5 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by Itzurboi(m): 3:23pm On Oct 29, 2017
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by nairavsdollars(f): 3:24pm On Oct 29, 2017
Lets hold this man responsible... The 2015 curse is still having effect. Ambode should arrest him ASAP

1 Like

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by davodyguy: 3:25pm On Oct 29, 2017
This is terribly saddening.
I can bet with anything that it was front tyre burst.

I had my near death experience too in 2006, 11th February. At 149kmph, my front tyre answered and the car turned over 3 times, before one of the beams on the bridge stopped me from entering the Lagoon. The mark, is still on 3rd Mainland till date.

For those of you familiar with Adekunle exit, watch out for a sign of impact

Car was written off

3 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by DanseMacabre(m): 3:25pm On Oct 29, 2017
shocked This H-I-T na village people run am back to back.

Poetic justice in a sinister manner. After all the years being almost virtually untouchable, come die for 'common' car accident.

Finally, something must kill a man sha.
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by ACE1010: 3:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
Nna na wa ooo. APC why na??
Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by bibelo: 3:27pm On Oct 29, 2017
Keneking:
RIP....

If only Ambode's streetlights work well at night embarassed cry
don't be daft does the car not have headlight?
the problem with must Nigerians is that they don't know it's easier to get a Saloon car to easily come to a halt when on top speed,an SUV will roll over severally when trying to halt at top speed most especially on third mainland bridge.....seen it happen alot

3 Likes

Re: Retired Air Force Officer, Driver Die As SUV Plunges Into Lagoon by begwong: 3:27pm On Oct 29, 2017
Village people, why na

(1) (2) (Reply)

BRT Passengers Fight After Waiting For 3 Hours Under The Rain At Agric, Ikorodu / Miscreants, Traders Take Over Multi -million Naira Lagos Bus Stops / Lagos-Ibadan Expressway: Julius Berger Criticized Over Open Bridge Joints

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.