Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:01 AM

Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports (15784 Views)

FAAN To Ban Bribe Takers From Working At Nigerian Airports / COVID-19: Nigerian Airports Set For Reopening, Passengers Issued Warnings / Osita Chidoka: Disparity In Air-fares At Nigerian Airports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by TalkItalk: 6:47am On Oct 30, 2017
Some stakeholders in the aviation sector, including members of the National Assembly, are worried that investors from some Middle East countries are expressing interest in the planned concession of Nigerian airports.

It was learnt that the interests thus far received from countries like Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar are bothering the stakeholders because of the security implication for Nigeria and alleged “northern agenda” currently put forward either by coincidence or deliberately in the concession buildup.

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) recently granted approval for the concession of the four international airports in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kano. The approval, currently being worked out by the Ministry of Aviation, is the first phase of the plan to concession all the 22 Federal Government-owned airports nationwide.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, last week recounted the gains of President Muhammadu Buhari’s recent visit to Turkey and among the mentioned is the expression of interest by Turkish investors.
Besides Turkey, Saudi and Qatari investors have also shown interest in the multi-million dollar concession arrangement.At one of the public hearings held last Thursday, members of the National Assembly joint committee on aviation got worried about the antecedent of a country like Turkey that has lately been embroiled in political unrest, as well as serving as a channel through which arms and ammunition were smuggled into Nigeria.
While the Turkish authorities have denied having a hand in the arms-trafficking saga, aviation experts are wary of future transactions with investors with Turkish interests.
A member of a civil society organisation, who was at the hearing, said some lawmakers were of the view that if the biddings were restricted to the middle east, then it will not get the buy-in of Nigerians who “will see it as coloured by a northern and religious agenda.”
Aviation union members present at the meeting said it was to prevent the airports from falling into the wrong hands that they demanded to be part of the concession process for transparency. The unions were, however, happy that the Federal Government has promised to ensure transparency by involving them.
On the implication of such concerns for the concession plan, aviation security consultant, Group Capt. John Ojikutu (rtd), said he was as disturbed as the lawmakers, though he was quick to add that it was still early to conclude.
Ojikutu said that “whereas we cannot but be skeptical with the biddings, expression of interest is also coming from Europe and Canada, and all need to be patient.”
He said from his conversation with the Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika, there were several hurdles in the concession process and it was less likely that the wrong bidders would be able to grab a pie in the exercise.

Ojikutu, who is also the Secretary General of the Aviation Safety Round Table Initiative (ASRTI), said: “I am as worried as you, no doubt about that. The National Assembly is also as worried. I think, from what I’ve heard, the minister too is very cautious with what he is doing. Just the way he handled the Abuja airport’s runway is the way he is handling this.

“From the look of things now, they have not left the level of getting the consultants of about three or four to package things together. When they get to that stage, there must be a stakeholders’ meeting, and there would be. It is not only the concession, but also the national carrier, maintenance facility and aerotropolis that are being packaged.
“So, it is too early to start speculating because in any case, all these things will still have to go through the infrastructure concession commission, the PPP, Ministry of Justice and then the Federal Executive Council for approval.

“But in lieu of the security concerns, I have advised them to focus on concession of the terminals, cargo sections and car parks among others, but not the aeronautical side. The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has even warned African countries since 2009 not to concession aeronautical side in the light of security issues around us,” Ojikutu said.

Source: http://www.anothernigerian.com/2017/10/interests-shown-by-several-countries-to.html#more

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by benuejosh: 6:49am On Oct 30, 2017
Okay. In Nigeria i believe strongly in individuals controlling all Economic activities. Let everything be left in the hands of the private sector while the government should be in charge of price control. That is the only way Nigeria can push further. 90% of all productive activities should be taken off the hands of government. If they can't handle all Social Overhead then let the Private sector take all.

4 Likes

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by mebad(m): 6:52am On Oct 30, 2017
Only Airports ? Cant they just buy the country as a whole ?

104 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by masciv: 6:52am On Oct 30, 2017
Airports for sale...
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by harryboyng(m): 6:52am On Oct 30, 2017
Smh

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by uncommonfish: 6:52am On Oct 30, 2017
seen
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by pawesome(m): 6:52am On Oct 30, 2017
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by tstx(m): 6:52am On Oct 30, 2017
Our govt has failed us

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by SmellingAnus(m): 6:52am On Oct 30, 2017
countries like Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar are the ones interested....

I reserve my comments cos I don't want to believe that we are about to import terrorism lipsrsealed

53 Likes

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by littlewonders: 6:53am On Oct 30, 2017
Very soon some countries will also show interest to buy Nigeria.

All I can say is;

"IT IS FINISHED!"

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by HuJJC(m): 6:53am On Oct 30, 2017
ok
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by hyuga(m): 6:53am On Oct 30, 2017
When Wil they start negotiating my beloved country. cry

11 Likes

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by olamil43: 6:54am On Oct 30, 2017
get the best prices from different stores on [url]quickfinda.com[/url]

2 Likes

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 6:54am On Oct 30, 2017
Ok
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 30, 2017
They should come and carry oooo...

2 Likes

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by itiswellandwell: 6:54am On Oct 30, 2017
Chai. So the government isn't competent enough to handle our airports. I just hope one day, they won't wake up and say they want to sell NNPC.
There was indeed a country!!

Check my signature for your quality full capacity powerbank

13 Likes

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by abiolag(m): 6:54am On Oct 30, 2017
I’ll b back soon
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by Atiku2019: 6:55am On Oct 30, 2017
smiley
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by affable4(m): 6:55am On Oct 30, 2017
Ok
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by TRUTH2020: 6:55am On Oct 30, 2017
OFCOURSE THE ISLAMIC ZOO IS OPEN TO FELLOW ISLAMIC BRETHERN BECAUSE WHEN THEY COME HERE AS WHITE THEY ARE AUTOMATIC GOD RICH OR POOR THATZ A ZOOLIGICAL BLACK MAN FOR U.

1 Like

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by kalebsky: 6:55am On Oct 30, 2017
They should just sell d country self

1 Like

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by Raphael81(m): 6:55am On Oct 30, 2017
One Change One Chance!!!
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by salveoP(m): 6:55am On Oct 30, 2017
Iyami!!!
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by SirElaw(m): 6:55am On Oct 30, 2017
I hope this news is false but if it isn't.... We are in trouble.

1 Like

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by kalvoken(m): 6:55am On Oct 30, 2017
Sai daura
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by Eyanmukaila(m): 6:56am On Oct 30, 2017
the only and available time to change this insanity and bring hope back alive in this country is 2019.no more recycled or present politicians comeback, otherwise, Nigeria is a forgotten nation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by BrutalJab: 6:56am On Oct 30, 2017
Buhari and his supporters will know no peace o. chai

2 Likes

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by HAH: 6:56am On Oct 30, 2017
Security is not part of the concessioning agreement from what I heard

2 Likes

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by brunofarad(m): 6:56am On Oct 30, 2017
This will be interesting
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 30, 2017
Please they should outsource all the airports and train stations

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by Oladipo1166(m): 6:57am On Oct 30, 2017
hummmm
Re: Interests Shown By Several Countries To Acquire Nigerian Airports by samsobo24(m): 6:57am On Oct 30, 2017
I think it will be better for quality service delivery, share yours

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Transport Crisis: LASG Is Looking Into The Demands Of The JDWAN - Sola Giwa / 31 Migrants Drowned Off Libyan Coast, Nigerians Among Survivors / Relocation Of Abuja Airport To Cost N1.1bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.