Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

How To Build A Quadcopter - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Build A Quadcopter (42469 Views)

I Want To Build A Rechargable Unit / Component Used In Making Quadcopter / Learn How To Build A Fuelless Generator And Make Money This Year (video)!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by SIaye: 5:19am On Jan 02, 2018
Wow this is awesome. You are quite a talented young man. Keep this up. Love this kind of thread. Not like some e-diot called Airforce1 living fake life with a failed career.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by mercyville: 5:20am On Jan 02, 2018
This is cool..

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by williamdeluxe(m): 5:26am On Jan 02, 2018
Good work... I'm amazed
keep it up
pls when u ar tru... lemme knw, so DAT I kan order 4RM u

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by olusun43(m): 5:47am On Jan 02, 2018
Nice one.. Can you teach me how to do it?

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by dontbothermuch: 5:48am On Jan 02, 2018
This is lovely

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by oodua1stson: 5:52am On Jan 02, 2018
kolawoleibukun:
na wah o

so make we come day build am? people plenty oh. so na where we go sell am? na video dem day teach this kind thing no be for pictures.

na this one Nigeria won take develop?

we no get things way we go show the world apart from copycat?
when will you have sense

3 Likes

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by vroom(m): 5:59am On Jan 02, 2018
Nice one...like how much will it cost to have this n what's the life span like?
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by dayleke: 6:00am On Jan 02, 2018
FP worthy...

More screws to your motherboard....

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by BiggyBamBam: 6:06am On Jan 02, 2018
How to assemble
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by ibawon(m): 6:20am On Jan 02, 2018
Bless up OP, You are an Inspiration

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Mckandre(m): 6:23am On Jan 02, 2018
OP after all these epistle kindly show us the one u finally built ursef angry
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Ayodejioak(m): 6:36am On Jan 02, 2018
shocked
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Caseless: 6:39am On Jan 02, 2018
Brilliant thread.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Caseless: 6:40am On Jan 02, 2018
Mckandre:
you guys can't and won't learn. Crammers !

4 Likes

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by denda(m): 6:44am On Jan 02, 2018
pls can somebody help my phone jst enter icold
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by misgab: 6:44am On Jan 02, 2018
am interested. am in abuja .my email is abrahammoronfolu1978@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by devdanArthur98: 6:47am On Jan 02, 2018
RCDIY:
Hello...
So like earlier mentioned, I want to something small (not so small) and fast.. very fast and maybe a little bit noisy.
I have ordered a 250mm Frame. I should have it in a bout a week or so.
I have 2200KV motors (Racestar) from my previous 330mm build.
We should use 12A ESCs but I don't really feel like buying any new component apart from the frame so we gonna use the 30A ESCs I kept as spares. The should work just fine, the only downside being the extra few grams in weight.

I have Turnigy 9X transmitter. I have made a number of modifications to it. This has improved its capabilities and range.
1. Flashed ER9X software on it.
2. Installed Backlight on the LCD
3. Upgraded the module to Frsky DJT and V8FR II Receiver to improve range and allow me to activate Failsafe

Other extras required are available; things like PDB (Power Distribution board), bullet connectors and wires.
I also placed order for frames and propellers.
A hobby shop I visited online was having clearance sales so I couldn't resist picking some frames and propellers (2 Frames and over 2 propellers for less than $15)

I have attached below pictures of the frame and ESC we will use.

The build will commence when I receive the frame.

Cheers!
where did you order your frame from and other items.. .which store.. ..if you could put up the link, I would appreciate it
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by XwhY(m): 6:50am On Jan 02, 2018
Can we call this a drone?
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by devdanArthur98: 6:55am On Jan 02, 2018
ogocology:
So the frame has arrived Lagos!
I will most likely receive it on Friday. This means the project will continue on Saturday.

It's going to be an interesting weekend!
Hi bro please what store did you use In ordering the stuff...Thanks in anticipation of a reply
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by israelmao(m): 6:56am On Jan 02, 2018
Our government provides no grant in its annual budget or fiscal planning for willing inventors, that's why many Nigerian inventors stopped at prototypes or carted away by foreign governments and we continue to import massive technology without encouraging home-grown technology.We must move from exchange of natural derivatives to exchange of mental derivatives in order to develop as a nation.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by profbeejay(m): 6:56am On Jan 02, 2018
Now open for business

Bring all your bits and bulk btc, and I will buy it all.

I buy Bitcoin and iTunes gift card at a very good rate better than some exchangers.
Good rate and fast payment is guaranteed.

see signature for my contact.
am looking forward to doing business with you.
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Mechejy: 6:58am On Jan 02, 2018
RCDIY:
A quadcopter, also called a quadrotor helicopter or quadrotor, is basically a multi-blade helicopter that is lifted and propelled by four rotors. Quadcopters are classified as rotorcraft, as opposed to fixed-wing aircraft, because their lift is generated by a set of vertically oriented propellers.

Quadcopters generally use two pairs of identical fixed pitched propellers; two clockwise (CW) and two counterclockwise (CCW) se. These use independent variation of the speed of each rotor to achieve control. By changing the speed of each rotor it is possible to specifically generate a desired total thrust; to locate for the centre of thrust both laterally and longitudinally; and to create a desired total torque, or turning force.

Quadcopters are not new. There are several models on sale from various vendors.
Sizes range from tiny machines that can fit into a man's pocket to full-sized models able to lift a full grown man.
These are either flown for fun or used to make aerial photography.

Building a quadcopter on your own is quite an interesting project and requires a lot of work. Basic soldering skills is an advantage.
I can tell since I have made several models.

Basically you would need the following:
Frame (Different sizes available)
Motors (Different sizes here too)
Propellers
ESCs
Battery
Transmitter
Receiver
Battery charger

The idea of this thread is to guide and provide support to interested persons from parts acquisition through to the actually working model.

Hopefully, we can get some machines to fly and have lots of fun in the process.

queen comy oha may like this
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by tdayof(m): 7:03am On Jan 02, 2018
Nice. Quadcopter has always been an easy thing to build.
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Homguy(m): 7:06am On Jan 02, 2018
kolawoleibukun:
na wah o

so make we come day build am? people plenty oh. so na where we go sell am? na video dem day teach this kind thing no be for pictures.

na this one Nigeria won take develop?

we no get things way we go show the world apart from copycat?
Idiot! Must you showcase your stupidity online? You don't have to type, just jump and pass!

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Homguy(m): 7:09am On Jan 02, 2018
Mckandre:
You need a reset!
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Mechejy: 7:09am On Jan 02, 2018
RCDIY:
A quadcopter, also called a quadrotor helicopter or quadrotor, is basically a multi-blade helicopter that is lifted and propelled by four rotors. Quadcopters are classified as rotorcraft, as opposed to fixed-wing aircraft, because their lift is generated by a set of vertically oriented propellers.

Quadcopters generally use two pairs of identical fixed pitched propellers; two clockwise (CW) and two counterclockwise (CCW) se. These use independent variation of the speed of each rotor to achieve control. By changing the speed of each rotor it is possible to specifically generate a desired total thrust; to locate for the centre of thrust both laterally and longitudinally; and to create a desired total torque, or turning force.

Quadcopters are not new. There are several models on sale from various vendors.
Sizes range from tiny machines that can fit into a man's pocket to full-sized models able to lift a full grown man.
These are either flown for fun or used to make aerial photography.

Building a quadcopter on your own is quite an interesting project and requires a lot of work. Basic soldering skills is an advantage.
I can tell since I have made several models.

Basically you would need the following:
Frame (Different sizes available)
Motors (Different sizes here too)
Propellers
ESCs
Battery
Transmitter
Receiver
Battery charger

The idea of this thread is to guide and provide support to interested persons from parts acquisition through to the actually working model.

Hopefully, we can get some machines to fly and have lots of fun in the process.

congrats! but in all these can we build or have aeroplane that is made in by us? like we have first indigenous car made by Innoson motors

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Aldebaran(m): 7:11am On Jan 02, 2018
Good job OP cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by YoungBlackRico(m): 7:15am On Jan 02, 2018
I'm more interested in type of camera used on it...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Liamm(m): 7:15am On Jan 02, 2018
RCDIY:
So, like earlier mentioned, we need some parts to make this build happen.
I have decided to make a small quadcopter of 250mm size.

Lets discuss the various parts required.

Frame
The frame is the chassis of the quadcopter. On this chassis, every other component is installed (Motors, ESCs, Flight controller, etc).
There are many factors that can influence the choice of a frame. These includes
- Size of quad
- Purpose
- Payload
The choice of frame will determine what motors and propellers you'd use, what size of battery it'd run and the amount of gear it could carry.
Once you make up your mind on the frame to use, you can move onto the next thing; Propellers.

Propellers
Propellers are determined by frame size first before load/thrust care considered. This is because the frame span can only accommodate propellers of particular size to avoid them touching while spinning.
Other features to be considered while choosing props are diameter and pitch. We will discuss this better much later.
When you're done selecting the propellers based on frame size, you'd need to pick your motors.

Motors
Motors are the engines of the quadcopter, spinning the props with instructions from the flight controller to lift the craft.
Motors are classified based on Stator size and KV (KV refers to the rpm constant of a motor - the number of revolutions per minute that the motor will turn when 1V (one Volt) is applied to it with no load attached).
There are standardized charts available online showing motor types/sizes and propeller combination.

Electronic Speed Controller
ESCs interprets the PWM signals from the flight controller or radio receiver, and drives the brushless motor by providing the appropriate level of electrical power. They are rated in Amps (A).
Choice is determined by the estimated maximum current drawn by each motor at full throttle (measured in Amps)
The rule of the thumb here is to choose ESCs with ratings well above the maximum Amp draw of your motors, else failure becomes inevitable.

Flight Controller
A flight controller (FC) is the brain of the aircraft, which is basically a circuit board that has built-in sensors (Gyros, Accelerometers, barometers) that detects orientation changes. It also receives user commands from a Receiver paired to a Transmitter, and controls the motors in order to keep the quadcopter in the air.
FCs are of different kinds usually distiguished by features and capabilities. Cost is also a major maker; the more sophisticated, the more expensive.
While all good FCs can take a quadcopter into the air, the level of control achievable depends on the design of different FCs.
For instance, a NAZE32 FC acro has no kind of computer assited flight like self leveling. The pilot is essentially responsible for ALL control using inputs on the transmitter.
Other FCs like NAZE32 (10DOF), KK2 and Naza can do self level flights. The Naza, using GPS, can achieve amazing stability in the in 3D.

Transmitter and Receiver
These are as their names imply. The transmitter is used to send commands to the FC through the Receiver which is mounted on the Quadcopter and connected to the FC.
Common TX/RX use 2.4GHZ radio band.

In the next post, we will look at the components chosen for this build and possibly discuss them more.

Questions are welcome.

Good day Sir. Could you give me the estimated cost of building a 250mm size quodcopter (from ordering of parts to assemblying/completion)

Happy New Year
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by YoungBlackRico(m): 7:18am On Jan 02, 2018
tdayof:
Nice. Quadcopter has always been an easy thing to build.
For you maybe... What about those that don't know the difference between color of wires?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top Six Most Endangered Animals In Nigeria(pics, Video) / SpaceX Rocket Explosion Destroys Facebook Satellite / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.