Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED (38624 Views)

Another Peter Obi Lie Busted. Twitter User Exposes Him And His Lie. / Peter Obis Lie Busted About His ICT Involvement In Anambra. Pic / "Lai Mohammed's Big Lie Busted" - By Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by TheArchangel(f): 9:19am On Oct 31, 2017
bakynes:

See I agree with you are and any reasonable person even from the East shouldn't believe this propaganda their people have been saying to their children.

Imagine the new independent Catalonians leaving money behind in Spanish banks does that makes sense. Biafrans went back to their homelands to declare their own country, so how is it possible to leave money in a bank of a country you know you aren't coming back to.

Besides let's not forget that Ojukwu changed the legal tender of Biafra to Biafra pounds from Nigerian Pounds. Is not like Biafrans were expecting to lose the war and return to Nigeria,so why would any sane person leave their monies in a Nigerian bank knowing fully well you going to your country and not coming back.

Remember we not talking about the digital age here where if you have a MasterCard or Visa card you can spend your money anywhere in the world.

Am sorry I just don't believe the Biafrans lost money in Nigerian banks,doesnt make any sense.
You should read the Nigeria civil war history from an unbiased perspective. The post i quote speaks a lot on how ignorant most Nigerians are of what happened in the 60s.

3 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by obailala(m): 9:22am On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:
In 1970 after the war the Nigerian government generally gave £20 of Nigerian money to every eligible adult but no one has ever done the math.

Let us assume their were one million of them =£20million Nigerian

We know that the Nigerian pound exchanged for £2 pounds sterling in 1970 so
that would be £40 million . What would that be worth today

according to this inflation calculator

https://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html
it would be
£432612859. Sterling
Not sure what sterling is doing these days but @ 475

that is

205491108025 Naira

200 billion

Assuming it was 1 million people that received the money. No one has ever told us how many did but I think it could be double that.

For a country to pay that out immediately after a war of such devastation is a huge feat considering that Nigeria was not even a major oil exporter in1970 and in 1970 oil prices were under $4 which when adjusted for inflation in today's money is $21.

It is a testament to the prudent financial management of Papa Awo who also kept the allocation of East Central state for 3 years and paid it all after the war

But they are not grateful and feel entitled to that payment. What have we done for the NE . Imagine finding 200 billion to give them today when oil prices in real terms are 3 X what they were in 1970

The standard of living was much lower. Let me put it in Perspective our standard of living then, There was no Lagos Ibadan Expressway. No East -West Road. PH to Aba was a single carriage way.The Air assault camp was the main airport in PH Omagwa airport did not exist. There was nothing like presidential jet. Where were the airports?
The country was broke with very little compared to today but still gave generously in the spirit or sacrifice and reconciliation

The FG didn't pay any money to Igbos, rather they returned a tiny fraction of the seized. If an Igbo man had £10,000 in his account, only £20 was returned to him; if the man had zero in his account, nothing was paid to him.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by GoldNiagara(m): 9:25am On Oct 31, 2017
JUSTICE4Nigeria:
if the gibberish u put up there is fact, then am so sorry, use Google if u can't use your brain, you can thank me later

Drab and so lame retort!_Psst! Don't slang match with slow people!
Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 9:49am On Oct 31, 2017
obailala:
The FG didn't pay any money to Igbos, rather they returned a tiny fraction of the seized. If an Igbo man had £10,000 in his account, only £20 was returned to him; if the man had zero in his account, nothing was paid to him.
Source? Evidence?
Historicity is a very interesting word. check it up

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by vinchee: 10:22am On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:
In 1970 after the war the Nigerian government generally gave £20 of Nigerian money to every eligible adult but no one has ever done the math.

What do you mean by every eligible adult. £20 pounds was given to only those with proof of funds in a bank account.

What is the basis for this assumption. There could have been just a hundred thousand or five hundred thousand or five million (you get my point).

it would be
£432612859. Sterling

that is

205491108025 Naira

200 billion

Is N200 billion too much for a region that went through 3 years of full blown civil war. Heck individuals in government are stealing way more than that.

It is a testament to the prudent financial management of Papa Awo who also kept the allocation of East Central state for 3 years and paid it all after the war

I am struggling to understand what you mean here. Nigeria did not recognise Biafra as a country. Of course Awo should keep all the accrued allocation for East Central state. You can't eat your cake and have it.

But they are not grateful and feel entitled to that payment. What have we done for the NE .
You have completely lost the plot at this point.

The payout was a net gain for the banks/government. Only those with proof of deposited funds were paid, and they were only paid £20 pounds. You do the math.

4 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 10:39am On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:

it would be
£432612859. Sterling

that is

205491108025 Naira

200 billion

Assuming it was 1 million people that received the money. No one has ever told us how many did but I think it could be double that.

For a country to pay that out immediately after a war of such devastation is a huge feat considering that Nigeria was not even a major oil exporter in1970 and in 1970 oil prices were under $4 which when adjusted for inflation in today's money is $21.

But they are not grateful and feel entitled to that payment. What have we done for the NE . Imagine finding 200 billion to give them today when oil prices in real terms are 3 X what they were in 1970

The standard of living was much lower. Let me put it in Perspective our standard of living then, There was no Lagos Ibadan Expressway. No East -West Road. PH to Aba was a single carriage way.The Air assault camp was the main airport in PH Omagwa airport did not exist. There was nothing like presidential jet. Where were the airports?
The country was broke with very little compared to today but still gave generously in the spirit or sacrifice and reconciliation

Thank you for this post.

We Yorubas have been the most kind to the Igbos of all ethnic groups in Nigeria, yet they are always looking for ways to malign us and cast aspersions on our character before the world.

It was on record that ACB, the bank with which most Igbos save their money's was bankrupted upon their leaving for the east.

Also, it took the intervention of Awolowo for the 20 pounds per person to be approved by the then military government.

It is only in Nigeria that you hear of such thing happening, that a government pays the others side like that after a war.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 10:42am On Oct 31, 2017
liberalsinnerx:

In reverse psychology when you are guilty of a something or perpetrated by your own, you always try twist history to justify that evil. This is what Afonjas are known for....twisting every factual history with gross, mischievous and wicked propaganda.

You Igbos are the ones who have been twisting history all along.

If the war had happened in these our days, you people will get nothing .

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by bakynes(m): 10:50am On Oct 31, 2017
The issue is that most of Igbos are too sentimental and emotional in their reasoning, they don't reason or argue with facts only emotions.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 10:54am On Oct 31, 2017
achi4u:
Op I respect you so much but you have to be very fair to Igbos or Biafrans, Igbos lost everything due to that war and the Federal Government promise to rehabilitate Biafra land but could not do anything except that £20 not minding how much you have in ur bank account.
It is from that money that we (those who are privileged to receive it) started our whole life again and today SE is competing with with other regions that sees no war.

Op just be very fair to Igbos.

Thanks.

The same lies I've had everywhere - radio, television, newspapers. Name it.

It is on record that Awolowo saved all Federal allocations to the Eastern region throughout the 3 years of the gruelling civil war, and handed it over to their political leaders after the war who wasted it, because they will not hold their leaders accountable.

The same thing is still happening today. Igbos are not holding their leaders accountable but are quick to cry marginalized.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by obailala(m): 10:55am On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:
Source? Evidence?
Historicity is a very interesting word. check it up
My grandfather is my source, he lost his entire wealth after the war.

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by achi4u(m): 10:58am On Oct 31, 2017
Ngokafor:

Aww you have missed the plot bro..You dont implore this people from SW to be sensible or engage them like normal humans..you hit them below the belt without looking back...Match them propaganda for propaganda...That is their only medicine..
They have perfected the art of lies,false-hood,distortion of facts and history as well as delusions of grandeur that the devil itself will be green with envy...period.
Nne, I'm heart broken reading what my supposed fellow compatriot is dishing out just to score a cheap point thereby making it looks as if Nigeria government really help the Igbo people.

I taya for them sha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 11:02am On Oct 31, 2017
obailala:
Honestly I am genuinely sympathetic.
But as a historian one must be dispassionate.
The reality is that at the end of most wars people are given NOTHING.

There have been many bitterrs wars before and After here in Africa. How many have you heard where people were given money at the end .

My issue is why is there NOT ONE single passbook NOT ONE of a guy who says I had £500 but was only given £20. NOT ONE.
The other thing is did your grandfather lose his money to the bank or the Nigerian government.? We cannot wriggle away from this question.

Did the Nigerian government seize the money of your grandfather as you now claim? How? Did they enact a decree? What is the name of this decree.
Was it not recorded in any newspaper or gazette?

This claim is simply unsubstantiated and lacks merit or credibility

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 11:05am On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:
I am very fair to all concerned.

You distort history with that kind of fictitious narrative.

Yes it was a bad war but why must everything be lies.

Your people din not suffer abandon property in Lagos.Many got their property back.Some got their rent collected and delivered to them intact. They were welcomed back into Lagos with open arms. The truth is Yorubas could have been hostile and uncooperative especially in Lagos.They were not.
Igbos did not lose everything that is just fiction. Why must you tell all these lies. I don't know how old you were at the end of the war. Awo put in a lot of money into ACB. A man called Ukpabi Asika was given a lot of resources too .The other thing to bear in mind is Yoruba men typically are not traders and so the trading sector was open with little competition for those into trading. Those that were teachers got jobs all over the SW.

That £20 that you try to make look small was when a loaf of bread was 1 penny
Do you know there was NOTHING like a £20 note

The HIGHEST NOTE WAS £5

In today's terms it is 200000 .It is not a lot but for goverment to pay it out after a war is not easy.

What has government done for IDPs in the NE?

I challenge any Igbo to controvert this.

One thing I know in life is that, when someone has been repeatedly fed with the wrong information for so long, it becomes practically almost impossible to believe the truth when that person eventually finds it.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 11:14am On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:

it would be
£432612859. Sterling

that is

205491108025 Naira

200 billion

20pounds will feed you for 6 months at that time. People who condemn the government for paying Biafrans that amount are ingrates.

By the way, the money was paid out of government earnings as Ojukwu raided Africa Continental Bank rendering it bankrupt at the onset of the War.

People should stop twisting history. We know what happened.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 11:16am On Oct 31, 2017
vinchee:

What do you mean by every eligible adult. £20 pounds was given to only those with proof of funds in a bank account.

What is the basis for this assumption. There could have been just a hundred thousand or five hundred thousand or five million (you get my point).

Is N200 billion too much for a region that went through 3 years of full blown civil war. Heck individuals in government are stealing way more than that.

I am struggling to understand what you mean here. Nigeria did not recognise Biafra as a country. Of course Awo should keep all the accrued allocation for East Central state. You can't eat your cake and have it.

You have completely lost the plot at this point.

The payout was a net gain for the banks/government. Only those with proof of deposited funds were paid, and they were only paid £20 pounds. You do the math.

Those with proof of bank accounts GOT ALL THEIR MONEY.

Ask Ojukwu . He got his. My questions is how was this operationalized . Some Igbos never left Nigeria and a small number fought with the Nigerian Army.
What about the MidWestern Igbos? The Ikwerres, The Efiks and Ibibios ? Did they have accounts. Was there any legislation enacted to enforce this alleged confiscation.
Every Adult Biafran was allocated £20 though I now understand that a lot of that money never reached the target as is typical of our corrupt system. Many Igbo leaders used their position to pocket what was due to others.

It is an assumption. You can make your own.
200 billion is not too much if you have it.The payer too fought that same war and spent money.Money is not limitless but must come from somewhere? Oil was a negligible part of our economy until the Yom Kippur 1973 war .Though that is not all that was given it spent.That is just the individual cash payment.

What have we done for the NE region. Did we give anyone any money.

When Biafra currency was created did Ojukwu share money out for free? No! people exchanged their Nigerian pounds for Biafra money and Ojukwu was using this to buy weapons.

You claim only those with accounts were paid.This is not true,a total fabrication.

The fact that accrued revenue was kept is proof of goodwill and genuine reconciliatory instinct.
The fact that some Igbos returned to Lagos(not all) and received their rental incomes intact is proof of the same.

£20 in 1970 is not the derisory sum it is often portrayed as.

If as you claimed.

Only those with proof got £20 surely they must still have documentary evidence even if photocopies? NOT ONE HAS EVER BEEN PRODUCED

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 11:25am On Oct 31, 2017
obailala:

At least the 20 pounds enabled him to have a fresh start. Tell me, if it were today, will he get anything.

The truth is he will end up in some IDP camp.

No disrespect to your granddad. Just stating the obvious.

In law. restitution of this kind need no be adequate but sufficient. The FG at that time did sufficiently enough for the Igbos.

The financial situation at that time was that there was no money anywhere in any bank to pay anyone. ACB was dead. Those who had their money with Standard bank and Backlays bank with their documents got their full refund.

Most of what you people have been told were lies concocted out of a bitter spirit due to the terrible losses that came with the war.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by aribisala0(m): 11:27am On Oct 31, 2017
Let me ask all of you this.

Why did Chinua Achebe not tell the whole world his own personal experience of the £20 saga in his many books?

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Cjrane2: 11:28am On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:

it would be
£432612859. Sterling

that is

205491108025 Naira

200 billion

How much did northerners gain from confiscating all the Igbo properties and funds in the bank and giving them only 20 pounds?

Yet, they are still riddled with poverty.

Just tells you there is God ooo!

2 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 11:39am On Oct 31, 2017
Cjrane2:

How much did northerners gain from confiscating all the Igbo properties and funds in the bank and giving them only 20 pounds?

Yet, they are still riddled with poverty.

Just tells you there is God ooo!

Stop trying to divert the issue of discussion.

This is about 20 pounds given by the FG to the Biafrian returnees.

20 pounds will feed you for 6 months at the time.

You don't come out of a war, and expect everything to return to normal as if nothing happened.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 11:44am On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:
Let me ask all of you this.

Why did Chinua Achebe not tell the whole world his own personal experience of the £20 saga in his many books?

His stories were twisted . There were too many gaps as well .

This is the price we are paying for not telling our own side of the story

The few Yorubas who wrote something were all about self glorification.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by prodigy24: 11:47am On Oct 31, 2017
Michael004:
Your parents are blatant lair, and I can say it to their faces. Are your parent trying to say only 20pounds was given to your entire village. You parents must be a pathetic lair. Everyone knows 20ponds was given to individuals then. Stop spewing lies here.
Your parents are the liars here, I can say it to their face! You low life think you have opinion on everything. Curse be upon you!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 12:06pm On Oct 31, 2017
aribisala0:
When Ojukwu created the Biafran pound. Did he share money to the public?

NO

People gave up something in Exchange. What was it ?

Fact is people exchanged their money for Biafran pounds and were effectively scammed by Ojukwu

Ojukwu scammed them and use their money to buy weapons grin
aribisala0:
When Ojukwu created the Biafran pound. Did he share money to the public?

NO

People gave up something in Exchange. What was it ?

Fact is people exchanged their money for Biafran pounds and were effectively scammed by Ojukwu

Ojukwu scammed them and use their money to buy weapons

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 12:10pm On Oct 31, 2017
horsepower101:
Aribisala0,

The bitter truth is that Yorubas have no excuse for their lack of development. And please don't even mention Lagos because Nigerian government and Nigerians jointly developed that piece of land. You can go into political mud slinging but I am not interested in that.

You need to come to terms with the reality on the ground. Your people are very incompetent. Making excuses for them will only make things worse.

Anyways let's continue doing our fake one Nigeria.

Face where you are going.

20pounds!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Cjrane2: 12:16pm On Oct 31, 2017
rlauncher:

Stop trying to divert the issue of discussion.

This is about 20 pounds given by the FG to the Biafrian returnees.

20 pounds will feed you for 6 months at the time.

You don't come out of a war, and expect everything to return to normal as if nothing happened.

Truth is very painful abi? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Go and ask your Fulani leaders what they did with the Igbo money that and didn't share with you that was cheering them in their anti-Igbo rant. grin grin grin grin grin grin
All the fulani generals became billionaires overnight.

You have remain poor and in misery while some of the old fulani generals became Africa's richest men and their grand children followed as Africa's richest man. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
But you have remained one of Africa's poorest peasants grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

All the money stolen from Igbo has not made you rich. Does that not tell you that you cannot get rich by robbing people? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 12:18pm On Oct 31, 2017
Have you noticed when someone comes from the east to the west for the first time. The look of suppressed anger or fear.

Over the years as a child, I've wondered why. Now I know. Anger at or fear of Yoruba people because of what they have been told.

They later get over it when they find out, we are not the dangerous people they perceive us to be when they were being fed lies about us back at home.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by mpianya39(m): 12:24pm On Oct 31, 2017
GoldNiagara:

How about the hundreds of million Pounds stolen by Ojukwu at the central bank in Enugu, that is a Nigerian bank, but those bank deposits you guys always lie about were privately owned like Aribisalao rightly stated, so assuming but not conceding, that they had monies in the banks, is it the Nigerian government that should bear the responsibility for a private contract between a banker and its IBO customer.Nonsense

You guys are liars, ingrates and thieves.

You should have direct this trash to your father,grand father and great grand father....infact!!! All your generation both born and unborn silly FooooOLS

1 Like

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 12:24pm On Oct 31, 2017
obailala:

It is not on record anywhere that the government seized Bank's monies. It is all lies.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 12:27pm On Oct 31, 2017
Cjrane2:

Go and ask your Fulani leaders what they did with the Igbo money that and didn't share with you that was cheering them in their anti-Igbo rant. grin grin grin grin grin grin

You have remain poor and in misery while some of the old fulani generals became Africa's richest men and their grand children followed as Africa's richest man. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
But you have remained one of Africa's poorest peasants grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

All the money stolen from Igbo has not made you rich. Does that not tell you that you cannot get rich by robbing people? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Face the topic!

20 pounds!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by rlauncher(m): 12:34pm On Oct 31, 2017
Sorry for those who lost so much in the war.

The lesson for today is war have consequences .

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 12:36pm On Oct 31, 2017
TheArchangel:
You should read the Nigeria civil war history from an unbiased perspective. The post i quote speaks a lot on how ignorant most Nigerians are of what happened in the 60s.

Hope you are not referring to that incomplete story written by that whiteman

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 12:39pm On Oct 31, 2017
Cjrane2:

I'm an employer of labour. 6 people work for me in my factory.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BIAFRA TWENTY POUND LIE BUSTED by Rotimik: 12:43pm On Oct 31, 2017
Cjrane2:

I'm an employer of labour. Own a factory. Are you satisfied.

Many Igbos think if you don't have a2by 2 by the roadside, you are jobless.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

South-East Governors Shut Down Markets, Rice Mill Over Atiku’s Visit / Voting Holds Inside Magnus Abe's Compound - Premium Times / Why Lawyers Slept During Presidential Elections Tribunal Judgement

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.